How should I store these seeds? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I store seeds? If so how long? Jaegon Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 30 08-12-2014 02:01 PM
How do you store seeds sapper002 Edible & Non-Edible Plants 9 02-07-2013 02:54 AM
How long can you store seeds? stroyeror Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 38 08-16-2012 04:16 PM
How do you store left over seeds? JoeKan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 05-12-2012 04:42 PM
Unique way to store seeds... cchardwick Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 04-30-2012 08:17 AM
Seeds from Peppers at the Store? drowprincess Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 03-17-2010 10:09 PM
How long will seeds store for? oneandonlyme Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 01-30-2010 10:50 PM
How to store seeds for future use? twyggy Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 08-19-2009 09:30 AM
How do I store seeds for future use? Semplice Vita Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 07-01-2009 12:48 PM
How to store my seeds? allforhim Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 12-27-2008 10:53 AM

Old 12-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Default How should I store these seeds?

Advertise Here

I just bought a pretty good supply of non hybrid seeds,
http://www.internet-grocer.net/seeds.htm

and I was wondering a few things.

1. How long can they be stored?

2. What would be an ideal condition to do this?

Thank You.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,066 Times in 497 Posts

from what i've read (and done), it's best to store them in an air-tight container (a good canister would with clips and a ring to keep air/moisture out would work) and stick them in the fridge or freezer & they'll last between 5 and 10 years. i know of people that have grown tomatoes from seeds that are 20+ years old. the rate of germination goes down a bit every year that you keep them... so i'd get a canister or other air-tight container and mark what month/year you got your seeds and just buy new ones whenever you have some extra cash and it's on your mind, or you'd like to add something to your garden... that way you have an assortment of fresh seeds all the time. i'm sure you could extend the life of the seeds by putting them in sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and sealing them in an air-tight container and storing them in your fridge.

don't forget you can always plant them and start saving your own seeds from harvest to harvest, that way they're always fresh!

and congrats on buying some seeds!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roro For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post

don't forget you can always plant them and start saving your own seeds from harvest to harvest, that way they're always fresh!

and congrats on buying some seeds!!
That would be the best strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewild View Post
That would be the best strategy.
i am curious as to degradation in quality over plantings, if any is experienced from doing this?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Armalite View Post
i am curious as to degradation in quality over plantings, if any is experienced from doing this?
I stored rattlesnake beans in the freezer for several years and they did well. Those same beans didn't do well this year but had been out of the freezer for maybe 4 more. They did germinate when put in a wet paper towel in a dark area and transplanted to a cup but not just by putting them in the garden as normal. I got these seed from my Aunt. I usually buy most seed but this year I saved and stored a fair amount of seed to include Roma tomatoes, various bell pepper varieties, hot and regular jalapeno, cantaloupe, pickling and eating cucumbers, okra, various lettuce types, and Black Diamond watermelon seeds. This is the first garden I've done in several years. I sure did miss it.

I still got the RS seeds and will work with them some more next year. I really want to make them work so I can retain seeds from them.

Last edited by wewild; 12-02-2009 at 07:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to wewild For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 157,127 Times in 45,531 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon Armalite View Post
Some seeds last better than others. Stored properly most seeds work fine for years, and only start to really go downhill towards the end of their life. Some, like lettuce and such only last well for a year or two and then germination starts to suffer. I don't remember which seeds are bad at it. I have a couple books on seed saving that mentioned it and I've noticed it especially with my lettuces. They really need grown out and seed saved every year or two if possible.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,664 Times in 3,315 Posts

this has almost EVERYTHING you want to know about seeds but its a good idea to get the book,"seed to seed".

http://www.savingourseed.org/pdf/See...geVer_1pt3.pdf

most degeneration that i know of is from GMO seeds called terminator seeds. its genetically modifyed to not produce a seed and if it does produce a seed that seed will not germinate and if it does germinate it will not produce any fruit.or you could have heirloom plants get cross pollinated with a GMO plants and make dead seeds. that why its important to know what your neighbor is growing

http://www.globalissues.org/article/...tor-technology

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 12-03-2009 at 05:19 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Safely thawing seeds

I've never been able to find a clear & definitive response to this question, and it is SO important for protecting my invested storage. I have frozen many pounds of sprouting seeds, with the consistent advice that they will last about 10 years this way. They are stored in both freezer ziplocks as well as in glass mason jars. (There are mixed messages as to whether O2 should be removed or not for the safety of the live seeds, and I opted to not remove O2).

So my question is this: When the power goes out for an extended period of time--how do I safely thaw my frozen seeds so that condensation does not lead to mildew killing all the seeds?

And then what should I do to sustain them for as long as possible thereafter?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 86,951 Times in 24,918 Posts

just copy what they do at the world seed vault.

4 ply heat sealed, stored around 0 deg F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalba...bal_Seed_Vault

virtual tour
https://www.croptrust.org/what-we-do...al-seed-vault/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull66 View Post
.......(There are mixed messages as to whether O2 should be removed or not for the safety of the live seeds, and I opted to not remove O2).........
I have read this also. Stating that removing the air will kill the seed.

I just put mine in quart canning jars and in the fridge. I sprouted some 4 year old green bean seeds I have and am going to plant them this year. I have some in solo cups now that are breaking ground. When it is warm enough and they grow a little more I will put them in the ground. I have had trouble with rabbits eating the tops off new plants just coming up from a seed so I thought I would start them in cups and let them grow some before putting them in the garden. My first batch is about 10" tall right now. I think tomorrow I will put them in the garden.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimET For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 86,951 Times in 24,918 Posts

seeds breathe air?
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 AM

FWIW, I have read in several places that refrigeration of seeds is going to subject them to more moisture & chance for condensation due to the door being opened & closed more frequently, exposing the interior to ongoing temperature changes. Thus, freezing seems to be the ideal & preferred LTS option.

My question remains about how to safely thaw the seeds so they don't rot in their containers if/when the grid goes down.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,658 Times in 6,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
seeds breathe air?
Yes, seeds respirate
I worked in the seed Vault while in college there were seeds stored in everything from paper and pokes plastic zip locks and glass lidded canning jars with date labels from the 20s to vacuum packed Mylar, 5 gallon plastic buckets and or a steel drum sitting on the floor.

All the plant and soils people seemed concerned about was humidity and temperature. Get the temp down and respiration slows
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimET View Post
I have read this also. Stating that removing the air will kill the seed.

I just put mine in quart canning jars and in the fridge. I sprouted some 4 year old green bean seeds I have and am going to plant them this year. I have some in solo cups now that are breaking ground. When it is warm enough and they grow a little more I will put them in the ground. I have had trouble with rabbits eating the tops off new plants just coming up from a seed so I thought I would start them in cups and let them grow some before putting them in the garden. My first batch is about 10" tall right now. I think tomorrow I will put them in the garden.
Thanks for the info
Old 09-11-2020, 03:22 AM

Going to follow this thread. I am letting some of my garden items go to seed and see if I can harvest and save some.
The Following User Says Thank You to gergax For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 09:24 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,144 Times in 8,779 Posts

We store our garden vegetable seeds in glass canning jars, kept in a consistently dark, dry COOL place.

Every couple years, we cycle stored seeds out, replacing with fresh seeds from plants we grow.