Survivalist Forum banner

How should I store these seeds?

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  bunkerbuster 
#1 ·
I just bought a pretty good supply of non hybrid seeds,
http://www.internet-grocer.net/seeds.htm

and I was wondering a few things.

1. How long can they be stored?

2. What would be an ideal condition to do this?

Thank You.

#2 ·
from what i've read (and done), it's best to store them in an air-tight container (a good canister would with clips and a ring to keep air/moisture out would work) and stick them in the fridge or freezer & they'll last between 5 and 10 years. i know of people that have grown tomatoes from seeds that are 20+ years old. the rate of germination goes down a bit every year that you keep them... so i'd get a canister or other air-tight container and mark what month/year you got your seeds and just buy new ones whenever you have some extra cash and it's on your mind, or you'd like to add something to your garden... that way you have an assortment of fresh seeds all the time. i'm sure you could extend the life of the seeds by putting them in sealed mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and sealing them in an air-tight container and storing them in your fridge.

don't forget you can always plant them and start saving your own seeds from harvest to harvest, that way they're always fresh! :)

and congrats on buying some seeds!! :)

#7 · (Edited)
this has almost EVERYTHING you want to know about seeds but its a good idea to get the book,"seed to seed". :thumb:

http://www.savingourseed.org/pdf/SeedProcessingandStorageVer_1pt3.pdf

most degeneration that i know of is from GMO seeds called terminator seeds. its genetically modifyed to not produce a seed and if it does produce a seed that seed will not germinate and if it does germinate it will not produce any fruit.or you could have heirloom plants get cross pollinated with a GMO plants and make dead seeds. that why its important to know what your neighbor is growing :eek:

http://www.globalissues.org/article/194/terminator-technology

#8 ·
Safely thawing seeds

I've never been able to find a clear & definitive response to this question, and it is SO important for protecting my invested storage. I have frozen many pounds of sprouting seeds, with the consistent advice that they will last about 10 years this way. They are stored in both freezer ziplocks as well as in glass mason jars. (There are mixed messages as to whether O2 should be removed or not for the safety of the live seeds, and I opted to not remove O2).

So my question is this: When the power goes out for an extended period of time--how do I safely thaw my frozen seeds so that condensation does not lead to mildew killing all the seeds?

And then what should I do to sustain them for as long as possible thereafter?

#10 ·
.......(There are mixed messages as to whether O2 should be removed or not for the safety of the live seeds, and I opted to not remove O2).........
I have read this also. Stating that removing the air will kill the seed.

I just put mine in quart canning jars and in the fridge. I sprouted some 4 year old green bean seeds I have and am going to plant them this year. I have some in solo cups now that are breaking ground. When it is warm enough and they grow a little more I will put them in the ground. I have had trouble with rabbits eating the tops off new plants just coming up from a seed so I thought I would start them in cups and let them grow some before putting them in the garden. My first batch is about 10" tall right now. I think tomorrow I will put them in the garden.

#13 ·
Yes, seeds respirate
I worked in the seed Vault while in college there were seeds stored in everything from paper and pokes plastic zip locks and glass lidded canning jars with date labels from the 20s to vacuum packed Mylar, 5 gallon plastic buckets and or a steel drum sitting on the floor.

All the plant and soils people seemed concerned about was humidity and temperature. Get the temp down and respiration slows

#12 ·
FWIW, I have read in several places that refrigeration of seeds is going to subject them to more moisture & chance for condensation due to the door being opened & closed more frequently, exposing the interior to ongoing temperature changes. Thus, freezing seems to be the ideal & preferred LTS option.

My question remains about how to safely thaw the seeds so they don't rot in their containers if/when the grid goes down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.