Cucumber Question - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of fruit is this? Round Cucumber like. Central Texas LoSt GhoSt Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 22 12-24-2013 10:57 AM
Cucumber Beatles....the communist scourge of mankind Greyhaim Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 07-29-2013 03:02 AM
Spicy Tomato Cucumber Salad madscotsman26 Recipes 0 04-23-2012 10:24 AM
$1.50 Cucumber Straight Razor Financial Forum 48 07-15-2011 06:31 PM
Refreshing Cucumber Water Valkyrie144 Recipes 2 06-21-2011 07:30 PM
Something ate a couple of my cucumber plants last night. Will this stop it? Sandy Beechbum Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 18 06-03-2010 07:44 AM
Are Cucumber seeds always a pain to save? Malaz Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 09-21-2008 09:56 AM
Cantaloupe, Cucumber, Watermelon, Dill, & Asparagus Malaz Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 07-09-2008 11:43 AM
End of season cucumber seeds kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 10-11-2007 11:34 PM
Cucumber sprout week and a half after planting kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 04-05-2007 12:22 PM

Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,964 Times in 4,093 Posts
Default Cucumber Question

Advertise Here

How do you store Cucumbers (sorry dont know what they are called in the US)? Here we have them predominantly in salads and sandwiches. They are like baby marrows but not.

At present, we are storing them in the vegetable wrack. We've tried with the plastic on and with the plastic off, but they seem to go off very quickly (in a few days). Do you think this is because they are near our gas cooker?

Id love some advice how to store them, as we get through quite a few in this house.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Country Boy

Thanked 1,297 Times in 513 Posts

My wife peels and de-seeds them then freezes them, they taste pretty good when thawed back out.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,605 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Cucumbers are cucumbers in the U.Z. too. Fresh cucumbers do not store well for very long. THe longest I've been able to store them is about a week in the refrigerator. I haven't tried freezing them, so don't know how that would work. They seem to achieve their longest storage life when turned into pickles.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:17 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,203 Times in 2,328 Posts

(from a child's garden of grass, circa 1974) Profound Revelations! Although you may not like pickles; what else can you do with cucumbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,433 Times in 3,288 Posts

You can slice and dry cucumbers. I pickle them (sweet/dill) then I can still use them in sandwiches, salads and pasta dishes.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:57 PM
aka pop

my wife keeps one or two in the night stand. when they get soft she just replaces it with a firm one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gen. Ben Raines For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
My Temperature is Right

You can make a buncha low fat TzaTziki sauce and freeze it
Tzatziki Sauce:

16 ounces plain yogurt

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped

Pinch kosher salt

4 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Tzatziki

Ingredients

* 1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
* 2 pounds ground lamb
* 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
* 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
* 1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* Tzatziki Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a tea towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.

Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.

To cook in the oven as a meatloaf, proceed as follows:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Place the mixture into a loaf pan, making sure to press into the sides of the pan. Place the loaf pan into a water bath and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until the mixture reaches 165 to 170 degrees F. Remove from the oven and drain off any fat. Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack and place a brick wrapped in aluminum foil directly on the surface of the meat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F. Slice and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes and feta cheese.

To cook on a rotisserie, proceed as follows:

Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place on top of 2 overlapping pieces of plastic wrap that are at least 18 inches long. Roll the mixture in the plastic wrap tightly, making sure to remove any air pockets. Once the meat is completely rolled in the wrap, twist the ends of the plastic wrap until the surface of the wrap is tight. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight, to allow the mixture to firm up.

Preheat the grill to high.

Place the meat onto the rotisserie skewer. Place a double-thick piece of aluminum foil folded into a tray directly under the meat to catch any drippings. Cook on high for 15 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F. Turn off the heat and allow to continue to spin for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees. Slice and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I Love This Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen. Ben Raines View Post
my wife keeps one or two in the night stand. when they get soft she just replaces it with a firm one
LMAO I was going to make such a comment or offer a link to a site with storage suggestions but I decided against it. Bravo to you!!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 PM
My Temperature is Right

you could puree them then freeze the puree.

Use the puree in sauces and stuff.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Hunter

w the best we can do is a couple weeks in the fridge but wrapped tight in plastic wrap to keep the water from evaropating out of the cukes as cukes are mostly water.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen. Ben Raines View Post
You do realise they have needly things on the outside don't you?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Survivor

Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand. Hot, dry in summer (clay), floody & wet in winter.
Thanked 3,586 Times in 1,796 Posts

If you peel & slice them, then cover with vinegar sweetened with sugar to taste (salt & pepper also) and mixed about 2/3 vinegar to 1/3 water, you can cover the cucumbers in that and keep them in the fridge. This way they're not cooked, remain fairly crispy and last longer.

Otherwise I keep them on the vine as long as I possibly can. They go very sweet and tangy towards the end.

Oh, and I sincerely don't recommend wrapping them in plastic unless you can fumigate inside it or something; they're really susceptible to rot.

You could, if you can bear the thought, try putting them in a bucket and sprinkling raw (ie not iodised) salt on them. Keep them in a cool dark place, rinse and peel when you eat them... and tell me how it goes! If it works I might try it!

Lol - just a thought, remembering how apples were stored when I was a girl. Oh; another idea. Burying them. Sounds mad but you can bury (so I'm told) watermelon and they last for ages, improving in flavour so perhaps this would work?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Prepared

What I do is peel and slice them, then lay them out and lightly sprinkle salt over the slices, (this brings out some moisture). Put them in a bowl with sliced onion and vinager and let this sit for hours or days, It has never gone bad since it's scarfed up quickly.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,065 Times in 496 Posts

You can make cucumber kimchi.. It's a type of pickle, but it's something different from regular dill or sweet pickles, cause that gets old after a while.

Oi Jangaji Muchim & Oi Jangaji Naengguk a type of pickle and a cucumber pickle soup recipe.

Oi Naengguk - If you don't like such spicy food, then this is a cucumber soup that's not spicy.

oi sobagi-stuffed cucumber kimchi

You can also make "Gorilla Sandwiches" that way you eat the cucumbers faster. lol
Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
How do you store Cucumbers (sorry dont know what they are called in the US)? Here we have them predominantly in salads and sandwiches. They are like baby marrows but not.

At present, we are storing them in the vegetable wrack. We've tried with the plastic on and with the plastic off, but they seem to go off very quickly (in a few days). Do you think this is because they are near our gas cooker?

Id love some advice how to store them, as we get through quite a few in this house.
Cucumbers do not store long because of their water content. The best way to store them long term is to make pickles they ney will last months.

To store them fresh grocers in America store them 2 different ways English Cucumbers are stored in a tight plastic shrinkwrap and the American garden variety cucumbers are waxed.