Chinese Avian Flu H7N9 and recent developments cause concern - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 04-11-2017, 06:53 AM

Default Chinese Avian Flu H7N9 and recent developments cause concern

Advertise Here

Hey all,

I share this just to keep everyone informed and provide some information. I don't want to sound alarmist or anything.

Chinese researchers are saying this strain is particularly concerning due to the fact its killing poultry off rather than allowing it to survive in a sickly state. There are worries that the world poultry industry could suffer from this. The impact is all theoretical and up for debate, but its still a concern.

On top of the economic concerns, this virus has apparently mutated several times at an alarming rate. Researchers in Hong Kong are worried that it could become more easily transmittable to humans and present some sort of Spanish Flu of 1918 type of scenario.

Either way, just something to keep on your radar to monitor in case it gets worse.

I have attached a few links from reputable sources for research if necessary.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h7n9-virus.htm

http://www.who.int/csr/don/03-april-...h7n9-china/en/

http://www.who.int/csr/don/05-april-...h7n9-china/en/

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...-china-n728946

Be safe everyone. Thanks for reading.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,552 Times in 597 Posts

I listened to the Chinese virologist, who researched the SARS virus 20 years ago, on NPR this morning. He was very worried about the mutation prowess of this strain of 'bird flu.'
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Prepared

I had H1NX last year and it was horrible, heaven help you if you get something worse.

I wonder if I'd have any immunity?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to match For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 AM
This is a great survival forum

Influenza Risk Assessment Tool (IRAT) never heard of this before. Interesting. I have a kit with masks and gloves in it if this takes off.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 18,521 Times in 7,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by breach_and_clear View Post
Hey all,

I share this just to keep everyone informed and provide some information. I don't want to sound alarmist or anything.
Alarmist? Not at all. A killer avian flu pandemic is one of the BIG concerns among knowledgeable survivalists. Even a mild one like the Hong Kong flu would be bad. Something like the 1918 Flu would be disastrous. So far we've dodged the bullet each time one of these strains starts looking risky to humans; how long that will continue is anyone's guess.

Thank you for the information.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 AM
New and yet, old

Thanked 10,722 Times in 2,203 Posts

Here's a link to the CDC article on H7N9 and there have already been humans infected. It has also been identified in Canada:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h7n9-faq.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 10:04 AM

I forgot to include that somewhere up to 1/3 of anyone infected has died. I think the majority of those cases were in China. Unknown if this was exasperated due to their overall healthcare system in conjunction with a population already suffering from respiratory woes due to pollution and such.

So yea, definitely gonna stay on my radar for a while.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to breach_and_clear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,253 Times in 815 Posts

The CDC report says approx. 40% death rate. They claim no cases in the US but I wonder. We had 3 shocking cases of flu death this year that caught my attention. One was here in my neighborhood. A 17 year old in perfect health. Young, active, played on several school ball teams - the picture of health. Playing ball one day, rushed to the hospital the next day and dead by that evening. Just seemed strange to me that a person in perfect health condition got taken out so quickly. All the hospital authorities said was he died from the flu. The other 2 cases were exactly the same - sudden and fatal, though 1 of them was older best I can remember.

I know nothing about the flu and I have no medical background so I have to rely on the CDC. However, something terrible took that 17 year old out fast and I don't remember hearing of anything like that happening before.

I am like breach and clear - this will be on my radar and I will inspect my supplies to see if I need to re-stock some things.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sherrieallen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Tedious Gasbag

Thanked 1,423 Times in 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrieallen View Post
The CDC report says approx. 40% death rate. They claim no cases in the US but I wonder. We had 3 shocking cases of flu death this year that caught my attention. One was here in my neighborhood. A 17 year old in perfect health. Young, active, played on several school ball teams - the picture of health. Playing ball one day, rushed to the hospital the next day and dead by that evening. Just seemed strange to me that a person in perfect health condition got taken out so quickly. All the hospital authorities said was he died from the flu. The other 2 cases were exactly the same - sudden and fatal, though 1 of them was older best I can remember.

I know nothing about the flu and I have no medical background so I have to rely on the CDC. However, something terrible took that 17 year old out fast and I don't remember hearing of anything like that happening before.

I am like breach and clear - this will be on my radar and I will inspect my supplies to see if I need to re-stock some things.
I watched a special report on the 1918 pandemic, and apparently many were taken directly to death's door in a mere 12 hours, shocking doctors. It's happened before unfortunately.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stratbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 06:21 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

Quote:

I'm not knowledgeable, so maybe Colt or someone can chime in, but I bet what killed that healthy kid was his health... a cytokine storm. I'm just guessing, but I think a cytokine storm is when the body over-reacts to an invasion and winds up killing the patient instead.

Where's that lady poster who study all this academically and professionally? I'm sorry that I forgot her name! She's another good resource
Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM

This site provides is an up-to-date global map of bird flu:

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/birdflu_monitor.php

The cluster of cases (and fatalities) centers in China, as you'd expect. The Affected Area is reported as: "Nation-wide event : Event affected more than 50% area of the country." Not sure how accurate that is, but it certainly is intriguing.

Watching the map should give a good picture of the rate at which A/H7N9 spreads. Other areas on the site documents other hazardous events such as earthquakes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fishpoem For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,197 Times in 2,854 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratbastard View Post
I watched a special report on the 1918 pandemic, and apparently many were taken directly to death's door in a mere 12 hours, shocking doctors. It's happened before unfortunately.
Young people have more active immune systems. The immune system is stronger, and has less antibiody types from prior infections in the past to utilize as defense mechanisms.

My best guess is he died from a Cytokin storm. This is a deadly hyperactive immune response that can be read up about on your favorite search engine.

Ways to minimize the intensity of the immune response ie slight immunoo-suppression, might need to be considered in the "spanish flu" scenario eg. steroids - very counter intuitive in the face of an active infection .

Interestingly vitamin C in very large doses has shown to reduce the severity of a cytokin storm.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 03:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,972 Times in 3,817 Posts

Honestly, pandemic is IMHO one of the threats all preparedists should be readying themselves for.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the information. Wonder if the 17 year old boy got a flu shot. Could that have been the cause?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:35 AM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,068 Times in 3,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post
Honestly, pandemic is IMHO one of the threats all preparedists should be readying themselves for.
I agree totally.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,887 Times in 1,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post
Every county in the US is supposed to have a Emergency Plan for a Pandemic. They are interesting to read and provide insight into how local government intends to react.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gotjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Dismember

Thanked 3,329 Times in 918 Posts

Some preppers seem to be derisive about Bird Flu since it died out the last time without US human-to-human cases.

The reason it probably did is interesting.

The Chinese, of course, have a society that is completely government controlled. During 2005-2007 H5N1 Avian Flu, they had a severe infestation.

The Chinese military developed a technique for eradicating the disease. As villages reported cases (and later, with pig flu) they simply went in, loaded up and moved the villagers in trucks, and then scorched earth burned the entire village; huts, livestock, and every shred than could hold infective agents.

They relocated the villager to clean dirt.

This likely saved the world from a pandemic. And yes, it gets the young people, since Cytokine Storm is from enhanced immune response.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,197 Times in 2,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
Some preppers seem to be derisive about Bird Flu since it died out the last time without US human-to-human cases.

The reason it probably did is interesting.

The Chinese, of course, have a society that is completely government controlled. During 2005-2007 H5N1 Avian Flu, they had a severe infestation.

The Chinese military developed a technique for eradicating the disease. As villages reported cases (and later, with pig flu) they simply went in, loaded up and moved the villagers in trucks, and then scorched earth burned the entire village; huts, livestock, and every shred than could hold infective agents.
They relocated the villager to clean dirt.

This likely saved the world from a pandemic. And yes, it gets the young people, since Cytokine Storm is from enhanced immune response.
Interesting. I think the exact opposite. They have the ability to practice biological warfare on their own. Measure response and test different live scenarios.

For example, the current strain is the perfect biological weapon. It can be released and effect those in targeted, and have mild but not "sustained" person to person transmission. This allow for contamination of say a water supply without worry of that contamination coming home.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:58 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,767 Posts

My preps have been updated and include epidemic as of late.

Here is an NPR interview with a Chinese virologist.
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...about-bird-flu
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Hiker

Wait I still have not got my Ebola shot yet
The Following User Says Thank You to greif For This Useful Post: