My New BOB Bag - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Default My New BOB Bag

Advertise Here

Here is the start of my new BOB bag.My grandpa and I is just starting get ready for when the SHTF.Just got my pack yesterday and starting to putting it together.I got a large GI backpack at a surplus store for $50.00 and it has a external support frame. My BOB includes rope,cottonballs,lint,radio,GI flashlight,goggles,penny stove with dennatured alchohol,gloves,socks,cantten cover,and canting cup,medical gloves,a can of spam and instant gatorade,my K-BARa spare pocket knife and its sharpener, snare wire with a mini survival kit,plastic bags,GI stove,toilet paper,singnal mirriorand finally a flourescnt orange whistle.And that giant rambo knife is a tempoary hatchet till i can but one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB 001.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	16826   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB 002.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	16827   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB 003.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	16828  

Last edited by SurvivalExpert209; 06-24-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalExpert209 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
one day at a time

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,066 Posts

BLURRY PICTURES!!!!!!!!

LOL

Looks good! for a start! If that hollow handle knife is not a Chris reeves design I would (personally) Leave it on the shelf to look good!

Now get ready there will be allot more critiquing coming! Its all for the best though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingjames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Ready

Looks like a nice pack!

Is there any water in there besides the canteen?
Can you give us a detailed list?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian2009 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,197 Posts

Ditch the obsolete angle head light.Too heavy,not terribly reliable,and a battery hog.Get an LED headlamp,and extra AA batteries.That way,you can work with both hands,and the lamp points wherever your head does.Get rid of the Rambo knock-off knife. The K Bar is plenty decent for any task.Get a multi tool,not a chinese one.And a saw,if you plan on spending any time in woods.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Target Shooter

I agree with kingjames. If that hollow-handled knife isn't a Chris Reeve, Randall, Jimmy Lile, RJ Martin, Aitor, or other quality maker (I probably missed a few) of hollow-handled knives, chuck it in the trash or put in on a shelf in exchange for one that won't break the first time you use it hard. Other than that, it looks like you have a good start on preparedness.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like you have that taken care of with the Ka-Bar.

Also, pick up two 32oz. Nalgene wide-mouth water bottles to put in there in addition to, or in place of, the canteen.

Take the above poster's advice and get a better flashlight as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MesserMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 PM

i am right now
Old 06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
HANDY MAN

Thanked 1,533 Times in 640 Posts

First thing I'd change would be my screen name! Just sayin...

As far as the rest goes, you've already heard the obvious. If you can give a detailed list of the remaining contents you'll get better answers/help.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirtyape For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Hard to tell but do you have any fire starters? Or a small one man tent?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Target Shooter

For a good folding saw to keep in the pack, take a look at the Lenox Tri-Fold saw.

http://www.toolsdirect.com/index.cfm...inish/Aluminum

I keep one in my BOB with some extra wood-cutting and metal-cutting blades. You can find them at Home Depot for 20 dollars and change; while you're at it, pick up some extra blades for whatever you envision yourself needing to cut. The great thing is, it uses common 1/2" tang reciprocating-saw blades. Thing is built like a tank as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MesserMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
one day at a time

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,066 Posts

Also if money is an issue!

I bought the 7 dollar folding saw from walmart (i know) It really is good though I have not had an issue out of it! The lock sucks but when locked it stays locked!

Cheap have yet to have a failure and light! Just as a starter piece of equipment for financial deficit folks!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,074 Times in 4,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyape View Post
First thing I'd change would be my screen name! Just sayin...

As far as the rest goes, you've already heard the obvious. If you can give a detailed list of the remaining contents you'll get better answers/help.
LOL

I agree, but let us know if we are being overly critical. This is to help you because we are passionate about correctly being prepared. We all make mistakes, and need assistance. If you don't want criticism, let me know and I wont. To be prepared with only a book of matches or a cheap folding knife, is better then having nothing. So well done on your start.

Personally, I like the hollow handle knives. I have a nice one. However, I am a fan of having two knives, plus my multitool.

Canned meats are heavy, but it will work. I like that your gear isn't bright hiker orange.

I suggest getting a water filter bottle and Iodine Tablets. (or something like them) Also a fire arm or bow. Something concealable, light, low caliber preferred.

You have an excellent supply of para cord. I don't, so well done. You have everything with in baggies to protect them from exposure, again well done.

I would personally consider buying a vacuum sealer. The bags are cheap, and you can sometimes find the sealer for about 30 bucks. I have two myself. This will help you conserve space, and get a better seal. baggies rip or pop open.

Nice bag, thanks for showing us. If you wouldn't mind writing a list of your contents and/or taking better pictures we would appreciate it.

So everyone remember to give him thanks for his post. This isn't a firing squad, we are family.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Prophet

Hollow knives are not for me. and whats the point of the weight of carrying 2? I prefer to just get a good full tang knife, like the gerber LMF2. but thats just me.
I have a cheap aluminum 9LED flashlight that i picked up at a hardware store for $5. Its brighter than any flashlight ive ever owned, and pretty light.
A folding saw is a good call(i like the bahco laplander). A hatchet is nice, but heavy. if you have a good knife, you can use it for batoning and save weight for food.
I don't know how long your planning to bug out for, but i would look into more food.
i noticed you had medical gloves, but no first aid kit?? might want to look into a simple kit.

peace
al
The Following User Says Thank You to almac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Molon Labe!

I am not sure what type of shovel that is but if you get a quality e-tool and put a good edge on it, it can double as a hatchet. and a nice aluminum tri-folding one would save you some space and weight
Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,442 Posts

Congratulations on starting your preps for emergencies. Thanks for sharing your kit with us. I'm sure your Grandpa is happy with your efforts.
Some suggestions:
I find that Swedish Mora knives and USA-made Old Hickory knives are relatively inexpensive and yet very good quality.
Similarly, military surplus canteens and mess kits, especially the stainless steel ones, are inexpensive and very good quality. I love the Swedish mess kit, and it will hold an alcohol stove and small fuel bottle, too.
Think carefully about what emergencies are most likely to happen in your area, then equip your kit with necessary items to get you through them. Get the best you can afford, but don't go into debt for them. Get a little at a time until you have a complete kit, then work on upgrading to better quality if you feel the need to.
Many emergencies will result in a bug-in rather than bug-out. Help your Grandpa develop supplies to help your family get through a couple of weeks at home, then gradually expand it to three months or more.
Hope that helps. Good luck and keep us advised on your progress.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the look.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Default BOB for 209

Nice bag with a lot of great goodies. Esp like the ZipLok bags--can double for holding water, etc. The e-tool can be sharpened on both sides. Then it can be used as a weapon if needed; great if thrown at the enemy-man or beast. Keep up the great work.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 AM

What is the plan for shelter?

the flashlight can go but keep it untill you have a replacement, as some one said they eat batteries, but they also are very sensitive, dropping it can ruin the bulb. get a head lamp, i saw that walmart carried a few diffrent types and for a decent price.

try to keep everything to a standard size, like keep only things that use AA or AAA batteries, that way you dont have to carry many types.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,314 Posts

i would keep the canteen/cup . i got 2 canteens/cups on my pack that will get me to the BoL if not i got a water filter but i love the canteen cups that go with my canteens.lots of uses for a canteen cup once i get to the BoL and am in need of more water i take a 5gal solar shower (not filled) with me so i can haul larger amounts of water to the camp when needed.

like the others have said replace the flashlight (all my flashlights use AAA) and the rambo knife.

they are right about canned food it adds alot of weight for such a small meal, i have packed some of those packets of like chicken flavored rice,rice & beans,romien noodles...ect, any and all packets that all you need is to add water and chicken. and instead of chicken a rabbit or squirrel you have killed will do some energy bars are a good addition

dont forget about 1st aid
Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Young Adult

I am new to being a survivalist can anyone give me a link to a list of things to put in my BOB/BIB also what is the best type of BIV?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,748 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyape View Post
First thing I'd change would be my screen name!
Ok, that's just funny!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread