Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My New BOB Bag

10K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  Maire7 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the start of my new BOB bag.My grandpa and I is just starting get ready for when the SHTF.Just got my pack yesterday and starting to putting it together.I got a large GI backpack at a surplus store for $50.00 and it has a external support frame. My BOB includes rope,cottonballs,lint,radio,GI flashlight,goggles,penny stove with dennatured alchohol,gloves,socks,cantten cover,and canting cup,medical gloves,a can of spam and instant gatorade,my K-BARa spare pocket knife and its sharpener, snare wire with a mini survival kit,plastic bags,GI stove,toilet paper,singnal mirriorand finally a flourescnt orange whistle.And that giant rambo knife is a tempoary hatchet till i can but one.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Ditch the obsolete angle head light.Too heavy,not terribly reliable,and a battery hog.Get an LED headlamp,and extra AA batteries.That way,you can work with both hands,and the lamp points wherever your head does.Get rid of the Rambo knock-off knife. The K Bar is plenty decent for any task.Get a multi tool,not a chinese one.And a saw,if you plan on spending any time in woods.

#5 ·
I agree with kingjames. If that hollow-handled knife isn't a Chris Reeve, Randall, Jimmy Lile, RJ Martin, Aitor, or other quality maker (I probably missed a few) of hollow-handled knives, chuck it in the trash or put in on a shelf in exchange for one that won't break the first time you use it hard. Other than that, it looks like you have a good start on preparedness.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like you have that taken care of with the Ka-Bar.

Also, pick up two 32oz. Nalgene wide-mouth water bottles to put in there in addition to, or in place of, the canteen.

Take the above poster's advice and get a better flashlight as well.

#11 ·
LOL

I agree, but let us know if we are being overly critical. This is to help you because we are passionate about correctly being prepared. We all make mistakes, and need assistance. If you don't want criticism, let me know and I wont. To be prepared with only a book of matches or a cheap folding knife, is better then having nothing. So well done on your start.

Personally, I like the hollow handle knives. I have a nice one. However, I am a fan of having two knives, plus my multitool.

Canned meats are heavy, but it will work. I like that your gear isn't bright hiker orange.

I suggest getting a water filter bottle and Iodine Tablets. (or something like them) Also a fire arm or bow. Something concealable, light, low caliber preferred.

You have an excellent supply of para cord. I don't, so well done. You have everything with in baggies to protect them from exposure, again well done.

I would personally consider buying a vacuum sealer. The bags are cheap, and you can sometimes find the sealer for about 30 bucks. I have two myself. This will help you conserve space, and get a better seal. baggies rip or pop open.

Nice bag, thanks for showing us. If you wouldn't mind writing a list of your contents and/or taking better pictures we would appreciate it.

So everyone remember to give him thanks for his post. This isn't a firing squad, we are family. :)

#9 ·
For a good folding saw to keep in the pack, take a look at the Lenox Tri-Fold saw.

http://www.toolsdirect.com/index.cfm/page/product:display/productId/20992-3636/manufacturer/Lenox/categoryId/3032/finish/Aluminum

I keep one in my BOB with some extra wood-cutting and metal-cutting blades. You can find them at Home Depot for 20 dollars and change; while you're at it, pick up some extra blades for whatever you envision yourself needing to cut. The great thing is, it uses common 1/2" tang reciprocating-saw blades. Thing is built like a tank as well.

#10 ·
Also if money is an issue!

I bought the 7 dollar folding saw from walmart (i know) It really is good though I have not had an issue out of it! The lock sucks but when locked it stays locked!

Cheap have yet to have a failure and light! Just as a starter piece of equipment for financial deficit folks!

#12 ·
Hollow knives are not for me. and whats the point of the weight of carrying 2? I prefer to just get a good full tang knife, like the gerber LMF2. but thats just me.
I have a cheap aluminum 9LED flashlight that i picked up at a hardware store for $5. Its brighter than any flashlight ive ever owned, and pretty light.
A folding saw is a good call(i like the bahco laplander). A hatchet is nice, but heavy. if you have a good knife, you can use it for batoning and save weight for food.
I don't know how long your planning to bug out for, but i would look into more food.
i noticed you had medical gloves, but no first aid kit?? might want to look into a simple kit.

peace
al

#14 ·
Congratulations on starting your preps for emergencies. Thanks for sharing your kit with us. I'm sure your Grandpa is happy with your efforts.
Some suggestions:
I find that Swedish Mora knives and USA-made Old Hickory knives are relatively inexpensive and yet very good quality.
Similarly, military surplus canteens and mess kits, especially the stainless steel ones, are inexpensive and very good quality. I love the Swedish mess kit, and it will hold an alcohol stove and small fuel bottle, too.
Think carefully about what emergencies are most likely to happen in your area, then equip your kit with necessary items to get you through them. Get the best you can afford, but don't go into debt for them. Get a little at a time until you have a complete kit, then work on upgrading to better quality if you feel the need to.
Many emergencies will result in a bug-in rather than bug-out. Help your Grandpa develop supplies to help your family get through a couple of weeks at home, then gradually expand it to three months or more.
Hope that helps. Good luck and keep us advised on your progress.

#17 ·
What is the plan for shelter?

the flashlight can go but keep it untill you have a replacement, as some one said they eat batteries, but they also are very sensitive, dropping it can ruin the bulb. get a head lamp, i saw that walmart carried a few diffrent types and for a decent price.

try to keep everything to a standard size, like keep only things that use AA or AAA batteries, that way you dont have to carry many types.

#18 ·
i would keep the canteen/cup . i got 2 canteens/cups on my pack that will get me to the BoL if not i got a water filter but i love the canteen cups that go with my canteens.lots of uses for a canteen cup :thumb: once i get to the BoL and am in need of more water i take a 5gal solar shower (not filled) with me so i can haul larger amounts of water to the camp when needed.

like the others have said replace the flashlight (all my flashlights use AAA) and the rambo knife.

they are right about canned food it adds alot of weight for such a small meal, i have packed some of those packets of like chicken flavored rice,rice & beans,romien noodles...ect, any and all packets that all you need is to add water and chicken. and instead of chicken a rabbit or squirrel you have killed will do :thumb: some energy bars are a good addition

dont forget about 1st aid :thumb:

#21 ·
Thanks for sharing with us... and great to see you are getting some supplies together. I have to tell you that I have the same pack, although I don't use it as my main pack anymore due to its weight... but that thing will carry more that you can!

Something I have in my own gear and that I recommend to everyone is GOGGLES!!! I see that you do have them... good thinking! If yours do not have removable tinted lenses, you might want to go with clear ones... best time to use them is at night in the woods and dark lenses won't do much good... but in bright sun/snow, they are great. Most people don't realize we lose a ton of body heat through our eyes.

I think it has been mentioned already, but a water filter/purifier is nice to have... most filters will clean around 200gal. of relatively clear water... so, having one with an extra filter goes a long way... and, while not cheap, will serve you well.

Canteen cups rock!

Fiskars makes a hatchet that weighs less than 1lb... or thereabouts. They also make all types of axes, all of them very light and durable.

One other thing that goes well with that pack is a rubber lined waterproof bag -also U.S.military- that makes a good pack liner.

Good luck to you and your Grandpa!

#22 ·
Something I have in my own gear and that I recommend to everyone is GOGGLES!!! I see that you do have them... good thinking! If yours do not have removable tinted lenses, you might want to go with clear ones... best time to use them is at night in the woods and dark lenses won't do much good... but in bright sun/snow, they are great. Most people don't realize we lose a ton of body heat through our eyes.
What would you recommend to those of us where wear glasses? Contacts and lasiks are not an option for me, unfortunately.

#31 · (Edited)
Pretty good start to a pack and although I see this thread is becoming ancient I'll throw in my $.02 anyway.

The goggles mentioned before are a great idea and another item to consider is a HEPA face mask for you and anyone coming with you (wife, kids, parents, etc.). I have researched and found some decent ones that filter most chemical and biological particles for about $6.

As far as shelter, the one man tent is a way to go if you dont plan on having anyone with you or you can go with large clear trash bags. They are very multi-functional and very cost/weight effective. They can be used to provide shelter, carry items, collect water, etc.

If you are going to carry a snare, carry wire to make multiple snares. Stats show that 1 in 8 snares are successful and in a true survival situation, wire is nothing to carry and maintain and increases odds exponentially (paracord inner strands can work for makeshift but definately not ideal.

+1 on the paracord and on a small .22 caliber rifle or long barrel pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.