Shed Living? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living Outside the Box A Few Simple Technologies for Daily Living Chey's Daddy DIY - Do It Yourself 8 12-30-2015 05:22 AM
Anybody with kids living unconventionally? (RV living, OTG, etc...) _FadeOut General Discussion 28 09-03-2015 12:19 AM
Shed Antlers Grogan14 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 33 12-31-2014 06:40 PM
My Rustic Shed sarco2000 DIY - Do It Yourself 7 11-12-2014 03:02 PM
Shed of Doom ConradCa General Discussion 23 07-27-2014 05:15 PM
Living in civilization or living alone in the wilderness? caliguy2010 Polls and Surveys 31 03-06-2013 11:18 PM
Shed Plans emclo DIY - Do It Yourself 20 11-27-2012 08:36 PM
Build a shed? ijuswannalive Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 09-17-2009 11:59 PM
Kajun's Bug Out Shed? kajunman1 General Discussion 3 09-11-2008 08:08 PM

Old 05-19-2009, 02:00 AM

Default Shed Living?

Advertise Here

Though this might be a good idea as I've been thinking about it for a long time! Whats wrong with buying something like this...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

Fairly inexpensive if you have property to put it on already which I already do. Already have the well and septic tank in place also.

Rent is what $600-$800 a month? I could have this payed off quickly and be saving up money to build a smaller house etc.

Insulate it, add a little electrical wiring, some solar cells on the roof and an instant hot water heater and I'd have a great little place to live until I could save up the money to build something permanent.

Obviously it wouldn't be up to code etc as far as all the laws go but how would anyone even figure out whats going on? Just an idea as I'll be out of school in a year or so and feel like I'd be "wasting" 600-800 a month on rent.

Pro's and con's would be great plus all of your guys/girls input on it would be awesome. Thanks ahead of time!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fortkevin2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,359 Times in 658 Posts

not legal in most areas, unless you live in a populated area no one is going to care as long as you keep your property neat and clean and be a good neighbor. lots of pro's such as low utility bills and upkeep. there might is a issue with power if you don't have it already. sounds like a good plan provided you plan on living alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taisdealach For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 AM

I live in NC and I'm pretty sure it's not legal as far as code goes.

I live out in the "country" as of now and I'm pretty far back(about 1/2 mile from the main road) which is in the woods around here... on 20 acres we own surrounded by quite a bit of land the neighbors own.

Like I stated I'm in school now and living in my parents house as I'm still attending the local Community College. Just graduated high school last year so please don't think I'm in my 20's still living at home!

I've been thinking about it for years and it seems like a great way to save up some money and live cheap but also have some comforts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 63,961 Times in 20,422 Posts

Mother Earth news and other publications have inexpensive cabin plans (I recall one for under $4,000)

It's the Getting the land, well, and septic which is the challenge. Not something to keep the rain off!

Keep thinking outside the box though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 AM

Nomad- Land isn't the problem. My dad said he'd let me have half an acre as a grad. present. I was thinking I could hook into the well and septic tank that's already in place for the house we currently live in. How hard is it to connect all that? We have a Kobota tractor so digging the lines up wouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:37 AM

I've thought about this same thing for a while now. If you are willing to go old school you can put up an outhouse and bypass the need for a septic system. You can use a small generator to power most small things like a lamp, microwave, tv, dvd player, you can use a cell phone so u dont need a phone line put in. the only question is water and heat. If you are willing to try it, I have heard of people digging a small well and that will allow you to pump water into a small tank on the roof by hand for a shower. and a electric heater will heat up a small place and keep it warm if you put in some kind of insulation to hold the heat in. just a few thoughts lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnight For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,844 Times in 2,020 Posts

"Codes, zoning regs and legalities" will simply not matter once TSHTF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 AM

another option if you are considering that, is a 40 ft long connex (ship cargo carrier). I have a 20 for storage, was thinking about getting another and found that some companies will modify it quite well for you, and you can make them into offices and such also. You can have windows, doors, a garage type sliding door, air conditioner/heater installed, vent, etc. For a basic 40 ft long connex with the double locking doors (from outside, so it wouldnt be good for living in) you can pick one up and have it delivered for under 3 grand. Lightly modified, I am sure it will be 4 or 5 at the very most, and its somewhat armored. may want to put it on railroad ties to keep it off the dirt. also has a wooden floor in it.
http://www.containersnow.com/contain...tails/5/10.htm
even have aluminum ones to prevent rust. start at 1700 for the 20 ft one, to 2700 for the 45 ft aluminum.

Last edited by Tawodi; 05-19-2009 at 03:26 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Tawodi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 AM

I've heard of people building a Garage or barn on property, then building the house while living in the small building for a while.
I lived in a 10' X 20" shed that was tied into the Water, Sewage treatment plant, Electricity and cable TV, while the house was gutted and re-furnished inside and out.
The shed had a Toilet, Shower, Kitchen sink, multiply electrical outlets, Microwave, Bed, half size Refridgerator Window unit A/C and heater. After I moved into the house, I added a washer and dryer and it could still be used as a guest room.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM

It's kind of along the same lines as this.
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to newt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 AM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,509 Times in 694 Posts

Lots of great and livable sheds out there, but also consider used camping trailers.

I have just started looking around at used travel trailers and I have seen prices for a 32 ft trailer at $3000 for a very nice one, of course that's an older one , but it has everything that you need to live in it already.

Just run a long extension cord , a water hose. And you've got home sweet home.

I am thinking about putting one on my property , for guest that want to feel some privacy while visiting.

And the best part , when you do get a real home , you can take the trailer with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wchancey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Hunter

Look at earth bag shelters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brutalsun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Target Shooter

If its near enough to your parents home then it will just look like a storage building anyway. If its hooked to their septic system and well it will just seem as it was a workshop with a toilet. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,839 Times in 3,529 Posts

Residential build code is pretty flexible. There are a number of pages on the net about 100 sq.ft. homes people have built. Most of them look like modified sheds.

But I'm sure it depends on the state code. but more and more states are adopting the national building code, which is a modified international building code.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Hunter

It looks great but I think planning regulations would have something to say on the matter here in the u.k.I'm not entirely sure but I don't think you can live,or let other people live in caravans or sheds in your back garden.I suppose if everybody did it,there may be hundreds of people squashed into confined spaces.Though,perhaps we have that already?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Acolyte

Another option

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...naCottage.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Trajan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 11,418 Times in 4,430 Posts

I purchased a pull-behind camper myself just to be ready if things go bad. I picked up a 30 year-old model for just over $1000...in good shape. When I actually am able to locate and purchase a decent rural lot of my own, I will build a decent-sized shed and inform the County in case they wish to inspect it. After that I'll start the mod for use as living quarters in case it's needed.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Frozen Patriot

I'm in the process of building a 12X16 (enclosed) shed right now with attached 12X16 firewood shed. Man are materials expensive. I could easly live in the unit, I put in a 4-0 double pane slider window and am installing a metal double door.

Mostly I will be using it for cold storage, which I desperately need but could easly convert to temporary shelter. All in, the unit is going to cost about 7K but its built like a brick shat house and will match my existing house on the property.

DS
Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,005 Posts

+1 on the travel trailer.. Folks are selling older ones all over Craigslist for around $1000.00. Just check REALLY good for leaks in the roof and around the pipes.

My BOV is an old 19' Class B RV, it looks like the front is an old Dodge van with the camper built all around it. I'm renovating the inside of mine right now and replacing all the above mentioned leaky areas. I've already got the ceiling and upper cabinets ripped out and I'm peeling the skin so I can get to the rotted wood along the top edges. I've managed to get some pretty sweet deals on cedar here locally and will be refinishing most of it with that.

Get an old trailer and then look for RV salvage yards for anything you might need for them. Lots of good deals out there.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,839 Times in 3,529 Posts

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/1175004391.html