Recommendations for bug out bag? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EDC Recommendations under $500 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-30-2013 12:30 PM
EDC Recommendations Under $200 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-26-2013 04:30 PM
EDC Recommendations under $100 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-16-2013 08:30 PM
EDC Recommendations Under $50 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-13-2013 08:00 AM
80% kit recommendations? nullsetfuture Rifle Forum 3 12-09-2013 01:55 PM
red dot recommendations... endisnigh Military Weapons Forum 64 08-27-2012 12:13 AM
Any recommendations? BluteEhre Book Reviews 10 07-05-2012 11:34 AM
AR Recommendations and help ajd Firearms General Discussion 10 01-20-2012 12:35 PM
SKS Recommendations chas036 Rifle Forum 18 10-27-2011 10:31 AM
Gun Recommendations 123456 Firearms General Discussion 29 10-19-2011 12:57 PM

Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 PM

Default Recommendations for bug out bag?

Advertise Here

Does anyone have a recommendation as far as bug out bags go? Anyone have one of these?

http://countycomm.com/bobxl.htm

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Leave Me Alone

The "Bail Out Bag" as is listed on your link, is more of a bag used by Law Enforcement, to have certain gear with you if you have to bail out of your vehicle on a major incident where you may be away from the car for an extended period. It is also used to carry your equipment from car to car, if your patrol vehicle is not permenantly assigned to you and you are in a different vehicle for every shift. I used one for years as a LEO. However, I don't think you would be too well serviced by this bag for "Bugging Out". Usually bugging out will involve carrying everything you need to survive for an extended period and may involve lots of walking. Usually a quality backpack will best serve this purpose. For easy of carry and extra room if nothing else.

On the other hand, I also have a get home bag, should I have to make it home from the job after a serious incident leaves me stranded or having to make my way home other than the usual drive. In my case, a Timbuk2 Large Messenger bag in subdued colors, filled with the basics. It doesn't appear "Rambo-ish" and attract unnessecary attention. The bag you have made reference to in your link may fall into such a catagory. I'm generally not prepping to bug out, but to bug in. However I do have a BOB in case I would have to evac my home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1911HeadBanger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Prophet

look at maxpedition. they make some nice durable stuff...
*disclaimer - i don't work for them in any way. i just like their stuff. *

peace
al
The Following User Says Thank You to almac For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Yea you're better off going the backpack route. They're a lot more mobile and free up your hands for anything you might need to carry. Looks like and awesome range bag though
Old 04-12-2009, 04:13 PM
RockOut w/ your GlockOut

How far and how long? Do you need a 3 day or a 2 week bag? Hands free? Expandable/upgradeable?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretByron View Post
How far and how long? Do you need a 3 day or a 2 week bag? Hands free? Expandable/upgradeable?
2-3 days max. The Maxpedition bags look great, anyone have a model recommendation? The Falcon II caught my eye so far.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,867 Times in 8,233 Posts

I have one, I love it. It is my food and med supplies bag. Soon to be baby supplies bag as well
Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
I have one, I love it. It is my food and med supplies bag. Soon to be baby supplies bag as well
Congrats
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 AM

In my bug out bag i have a good deal of fishing supplies, telescopic fishing pole(5'), about 50 foot in twine, 50 foot of rope, fire starting suplies, an 8" cast iron skillet, a 12" square grill(no legs), a map,of north america, compass, small axe, small pic, seeds, medical supplies, some weapons like a long bow arrows and arrow making kit(electircal tape and feathers), hand full of nails, a huge bag from a paper mill i split it open and its like 20'-16' and i rolle it and vaccum sealed it. Sleeping bag and a small cell phone look alike radio and 5 small books, sas feild guide, mamls of north america, fish or north america, wild edibles, and swiss family robinson! plus fillet knife, hunting knife and swiss army. my bag is big yes but i also have a jacket and pants with alot of pockets and fanny paks rule. its alot but i can get to my location or just ough it if needed for a long time.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 PM

Okay, I think I have it narrowed down. Out of the following three bags, which would you choose?

Falcon-II

Condor-II

Vulture-II
Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Snugpak Rocket Pack. I saw one on You Tube with this guy "wildernessoutfitters" (I think that's what it is). The nice thing about it, it not carries alot but can break down into 3 packs.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Sic semper tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Snugpak Rocket Pack. I saw one on You Tube with this guy "wildernessoutfitters" (I think that's what it is). The nice thing about it, it not carries alot but can break down into 3 packs.
I have one. It's my camping, hiking and get home bag. I haven't purchased the separate yoke harness for it yet, but I usually only need the middle compartment anyway.

I've carried about 50lbs of gear on a few 12mi hikes to get an idea of how comfortable it is and it holds up well. You're going to have to play with the straps pretty often until you get it settled in on your hips. Once that's done, I can truck along.

One thing I don't like about it is that sternum strap is pretty much stuck in once place. For me, since the pack is a one size fits all type thing, the sternum strap usually ends up being an across the neck strap. Quite uncomfortable, so I can't use it.

Another complaint is the size of the port for a hydration tube. It could be a little larger.

Lastly, the complaint that isn't a huge deal. More of an inconvenience. most of my gear fits on the inside of the 3 pockets, depending on how long I'm going to be out or how far I'm going, but if I take my CCF pad along, it has to be lashed to the outside. The problem is that is that there's no really good way of doing that. No straps on the bottom, none across the top. The last few times I've taken the pad, I've left a pocket at home and tightened the webbing across the pad.
The Following User Says Thank You to fulminated For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Be as Water

Until recently, I have been using a Vasque expedition style hiking backpack.
A while ago, I got some money together and began upgrading. With the increased compactness, rationalizing down, and lightness of equipment, I have been able to go for:
THE CAMELBAK BFM
It's much smaller, but at this point that is ok. I love the MOLLE attatchment areas for adding modular pouches and specific purpose pockets, and compared to an expedition backpack, the clam-shell design and pockets allows much easier organization and access to important tools.

Pros:
Comes in a range of colours
MOLLE gear attatchments
Built-In Hydration bladder (rugged, with a nice shutoff/bite valve)
Large, but not HUGE
Compartmentalized clamshell design

Cons:
Not waterproof.
(It does have drainage grommets, so I pack everything in ziplocks, drybags, etc.)

Note: I would have loved to have bought the Gerber grasp 150, but it was unjustifiably more expensive for little advantage.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSurviving View Post
Okay, I think I have it narrowed down. Out of the following three bags, which would you choose?

Falcon-II

Condor-II

Vulture-II
Personally, I think the Falcon II is too small (only 9.5" wide). According to the Maxpedition web site it is an "urban day pack". However, some people travel light, so maybe it is enough for you. In my mind, the Falcon would make a good "get home" pack, though for a get home pack, I would prefer the gearslinger type pack. Those are great for accessing gear while on the move.

They catagorize the Vulture as a 3-day pack and the Condor is a good compromise between the two.

Lay out your gear and see how much room you will need.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Hiker

After seing this thread canceled an order of a backpack that I ordered 5 munutes ago and ordered the VULTURE-II™. I've been up all night looking at packs and the Vulture seems to be the best for the money. AMAZON has them for $115. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to SurvivalCop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Can you strap a sleeping bag to any of these? And not being waterproof is a big minus, and I think the water bladder is a waste of space.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Thanks everyone -- I ended up buying an OD Green Vulture-II. I also decided to grab a Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache in OD Green.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Be as Water

My sleeping bag goes nicely onto the underside of my BFM. I'm sure the other bags can take sleeping bags too; the MOLLE loops allow a lot of improvisation.
The non-waterproofness is definitely the one thing that stands out in my mind as a huge downside to these awesome packs.
The thing I like about bladders is not just the convenience, but the ability to get NBC bladders that can attach directly to the drinking straw attachment of high-tech gas masks. This eliminates possibly dirty air exposure between the water and the straw intake.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Hiker

The only downside I can see to typical "assault packs", such as those by Maxpedition, is that they lack an internal frame and good hip belt to move the weight from your shoulders to your hips. Once I start getting up to 20 pounds of gear I begin to desire these features. Kelty makes an assault pack called the MAP 3500 for $100. It is a 1950 cubic inch pack resembling their Redwing series, just scaled down and made of some beefier materials. Just like their other bags, it has an internal frame and good hip belt.

http://www.amronintl.com/products.cf...=25904999&Ind=
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM

These are made in America. They are not made of synthetic materials. They claim this is better.

http://duluthpack.com/