How much time between the freezer and the mylar? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mylar & oxygen absorbers for the freezer? kdog1997 Food and water 9 07-21-2018 09:48 AM
Used mylar'ed food for the first time Freethinkin'Man Food and water 0 07-22-2014 12:51 PM
Food+Mylar+Bucket+Freezer underground? myland1 Food and water 24 03-29-2014 07:38 PM
1st Time Mylar Packing Flako Food and water 4 03-07-2014 02:29 AM
First time poster. Mylar storage question. Madmike34744 Food and water 6 02-24-2013 11:14 PM
Packing rice in mylar for the first time .... kdalton Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 10-29-2011 05:06 PM
Help with problem - First time using mylar and Oxygen absorbers darlenea Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 04-05-2011 01:52 AM
First time using my Mylar bags and my Food Saver. Nvncibl Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-09-2011 06:11 PM
Mason Freezer Glass Jars... and Winter time 123Testing Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 13 01-23-2010 04:12 PM
First time mylar sealing chrischris Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 11-27-2008 09:16 AM

Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Scandinavian survivor

Thanked 4,277 Times in 1,889 Posts
Default How much time between the freezer and the mylar?

Advertise Here

I, like most people, donīt have to much space in the freezer. Around the 20:th of the month it might run half full but from pay day and forward I keep it stocked.
This poses a problem when it comes to freezing rice, grains and oats for longterm storage. My plan was to freeze the stuff in zip locks amountig to half of the mylar bags volume so I can just empty two bags at a time and seal. I want to do 25 mylar bags next month but havenīt got 10% of the freezer space I need, even if I was to clear out my freezer. Yes, I live in an apartement.
So my question is: could a freeze it in batches and store the thightly closed zip locks until itīs time for mylar?
I canīt really fiigure out what could go wrong but I thought Iīd better check with the experts...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Despierto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Prepared

I have not done what you are saying but I think it would be fine.

As I recall the idea with freezing is to kill any bugs and such that may be in the grain or rice. Once you freeze it down good I think it would be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to pftw-pftb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despierto View Post
I, like most people, donīt have to much space in the freezer. Around the 20:th of the month it might run half full but from pay day and forward I keep it stocked.
This poses a problem when it comes to freezing rice, grains and oats for longterm storage. My plan was to freeze the stuff in zip locks amountig to half of the mylar bags volume so I can just empty two bags at a time and seal. I want to do 25 mylar bags next month but havenīt got 10% of the freezer space I need, even if I was to clear out my freezer. Yes, I live in an apartement.
So my question is: could a freeze it in batches and store the thightly closed zip locks until itīs time for mylar?
I canīt really fiigure out what could go wrong but I thought Iīd better check with the experts...

apparently you're not talking about 5-6 gallon mylar bags inside of a five gallon pail. what i would do is freeze everything for 5 days with the freezer as low as it goes, take the stuff out for thirty days and freeze it again for 5 days to kill any eggs that may have hatched, just store it in a place that is as cool as possible and dark even if you have to cover it with some cloth or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to redflag For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Scandinavian survivor

No, Iīll be using different sized bucket and 1.6 gallon mylar bags. The thawed bags will probably be stored in the buckets. The buckets will go where they fit, mostly cupboards and pantry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Despierto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 02:57 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

I think you can go a good while before bagging your stuff, as long as it's kept cool,dry and free from any new bugs.
One concern I have is making sure the stuff coming from the freezer have enough time to gradually come back up to room temperature, and any possible condensation has time to dry completely before re-bagging.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Target Shooter

Freezing for a few days, allowing the rice to soak at below freezing temperatures will kill the remaining bugs, maybe, depends on the length of time stored cold. Make sure you allow the rice (still in the bags) to return to room temperature before opening to processing for long term storage to avoid moisture condensation.

FYI, if you are using oxygen absorbers and metallized Mylar bags, you do not need to do the freezing step as the oxygen absorbers will kill any remaining bugs or eggs. The oxygen absorbers are guaranteed to kill the bugs, were the freezing process relies on keeping the rice at below freezing long enough to get to any remaining bugs or eggs.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 PM

I have had my supply of rice, beans and flour sterilized at a gamma radiation plant. Didn't cost me the world to have it done, and the goods will practically last forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Norwegian Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Scandinavian survivor

OK... Söte bror, youīre scaring me a bit.
What do the rest of you have to say about non-frozen rice in mylar?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Hee hee. I see that I should probably have elaborated on this a bit. Sanitation of food by way of radiation is done comercially at Institutt for Energiteknikk in Kjeller, about 1 1/5 hours drive from the Swedish boarder.

This method is used a lot for foods that will be stored for an extended periode of time, e.g. on ships - which is also how I got in contact with them. Special long life products, such as long life milk, has been treated with gamma rays.

With proper packing and a flash of gamma, your staple foods will be secured. Punkt slut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Norwegian Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Scandinavian survivor

I am familiar with radiated food. Itīs the stuff that keeps a carton of strawberries fresh for 18 months. By then they havenīt gone bad, they have dried...
Old 02-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Crumbs DM

What is the best place to get Mylar bags and desiccant/oxygen absorbers from? So far all of the places I've found charge an exorbitant amount for shipping. Are these things one can find locally?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,866 Times in 10,739 Posts

I really like the people,service and products at SurvivalUnlimited.