Survivalist Forum banner

How much time between the freezer and the mylar?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  MIL-DOT 
#1 ·
I, like most people, don´t have to much space in the freezer. Around the 20:th of the month it might run half full but from pay day and forward I keep it stocked.
This poses a problem when it comes to freezing rice, grains and oats for longterm storage. My plan was to freeze the stuff in zip locks amountig to half of the mylar bags volume so I can just empty two bags at a time and seal. I want to do 25 mylar bags next month but haven´t got 10% of the freezer space I need, even if I was to clear out my freezer. Yes, I live in an apartement.
So my question is: could a freeze it in batches and store the thightly closed zip locks until it´s time for mylar?
I can´t really fiigure out what could go wrong but I thought I´d better check with the experts...;)

Reactions: joes
#2 ·
I have not done what you are saying but I think it would be fine.

As I recall the idea with freezing is to kill any bugs and such that may be in the grain or rice. Once you freeze it down good I think it would be fine.

#3 ·
apparently you're not talking about 5-6 gallon mylar bags inside of a five gallon pail. what i would do is freeze everything for 5 days with the freezer as low as it goes, take the stuff out for thirty days and freeze it again for 5 days to kill any eggs that may have hatched, just store it in a place that is as cool as possible and dark even if you have to cover it with some cloth or something.

#4 ·
No, I´ll be using different sized bucket and 1.6 gallon mylar bags. The thawed bags will probably be stored in the buckets. The buckets will go where they fit, mostly cupboards and pantry.

#5 ·
I think you can go a good while before bagging your stuff, as long as it's kept cool,dry and free from any new bugs.
One concern I have is making sure the stuff coming from the freezer have enough time to gradually come back up to room temperature, and any possible condensation has time to dry completely before re-bagging.

#6 ·
Freezing for a few days, allowing the rice to soak at below freezing temperatures will kill the remaining bugs, maybe, depends on the length of time stored cold. Make sure you allow the rice (still in the bags) to return to room temperature before opening to processing for long term storage to avoid moisture condensation.

FYI, if you are using oxygen absorbers and metallized Mylar bags, you do not need to do the freezing step as the oxygen absorbers will kill any remaining bugs or eggs. The oxygen absorbers are guaranteed to kill the bugs, were the freezing process relies on keeping the rice at below freezing long enough to get to any remaining bugs or eggs.

#9 ·
Hee hee. I see that I should probably have elaborated on this a bit. Sanitation of food by way of radiation is done comercially at Institutt for Energiteknikk in Kjeller, about 1 1/5 hours drive from the Swedish boarder.

This method is used a lot for foods that will be stored for an extended periode of time, e.g. on ships - which is also how I got in contact with them. Special long life products, such as long life milk, has been treated with gamma rays.

With proper packing and a flash of gamma, your staple foods will be secured. Punkt slut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.