Hatchet vs Hawk - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Estwing Carpenters Hatchet for a hard use survival Hatchet? Grizzlyman89701 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 03-22-2015 02:12 AM
What do you know about the IAC Hawk 982 10thLegion Firearms General Discussion 17 07-12-2014 01:52 PM
Spike Hawk vs. Trench Hawk acheron92 Knives, Swords & Axes 23 02-07-2014 09:07 PM
Why a hawk? ktomes_340 Knives, Swords & Axes 19 05-25-2012 11:38 AM
Bad ass Hawk valhalarising General Discussion 2 10-13-2011 08:49 PM
Anyone have a sword, hatchet or axe from Mineral mountain Hatchet Works? Sped Man Knives, Swords & Axes 0 09-24-2011 09:10 PM
My New Hawk klickitat Knives, Swords & Axes 1 07-11-2011 05:39 PM
Vec- hawk ? TENNGRIZZ Knives, Swords & Axes 2 05-17-2011 12:00 AM
Hawk or Axe? Oxen Knives, Swords & Axes 27 04-22-2011 11:23 AM
Hawk or Hatchet duckhunter18 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 20 10-04-2010 03:45 PM

Old 12-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Default Hatchet vs Hawk

Advertise Here

Which do you prefer and why?

When I left the Marine Corps I was gifted a plaque with an SOG Voodoo Hawk mounted on it, never thought much of it. A short while back I needed my hatchet for some firewood while camping with my family. Long story short I didn't have anything except that plaque shoved under my seat, I dismantled the plaque and began using the Voodoo Hawk and was actually pleasantly surprised. I haven't done any heavy chopping or wood splitting like I have with my hatchet so I can't speak to that but it is great for small brush clearing where a machete just isn't enough.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Bad Guy Target

Thanked 2,085 Times in 788 Posts

While I have great fantasies of fighting with my KA-BAR in one hand and my trusty Tomahawk in the other, at the end of the day I think there's just about no chance of that really happening.

I vote hatchet. Don't get me wrong there are some truly sexy 'hawks out there. But this is not the Revolutionary era.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kpz1234 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,295 Times in 11,452 Posts
Default go heavy........

why pick? do both , love all, hawks, hatchets and axes. made this out of a found true temper #R2S. "Heavy hawk" why limit yourself with a tag/name?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steroidhawk.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	93495  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:

Old 12-03-2014, 09:25 PM

I also prefer a hatchet, the hawk seems to fill a very small void between hatchet and machete. I'm thinking about taking it into the woods to see if it can beat out my handy old craftsman hatchet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,526 Times in 676 Posts

I love them both, but it depends on what I'm doing. I used a hawk for cutting brush to make ghillies and add vegetation to the hide site. It's also a good digging tool. These days I carry a cold steel trail hawk when I'm hunting, as it makes a good skinning tool and a lightweight axe.

If I'm just camping or plan on being out for longer periods of time and do a lot of chopping(ie shelter building) then the hatchet wins hands down. They're really different tools with slightly different purposes, but each get paired with a knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to hank scorpio For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Life is short, play naked

I choose hawk but it's mainly because of how light they are. My area the foliage isn't too big and a hawk works well enough that a hatchet isn't needed. Now in a different area I probably would accept they extra weight of a hatchet if there is thicker foliage.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Travel Light

Thanked 2,640 Times in 777 Posts

If I had more options I'd choose a carpenter's hatchet....

The Following User Says Thank You to Belifend For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Noble Savage

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,564 Posts

Thus far my favorite axe is the Gotland Bearded axe from Ragweed forge.

It takes a typical tomahawk type handle so it's easy to replace in the field and the head is around 18 ounces so overall it's roughly comparable to most hatchets, but the extra length of the 18 inch handle get you a bit more power than a shorter hatchet would allow. It's a great all around tool at a very reasonable $50, highly recommended.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Axethebarbarian For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,699 Times in 5,481 Posts

The hawk is primarily a war tool not a camping tool.
If I had a hawk, I'd modify it with a blade to the rear like an adds ax, like I have done with another hatchet. Great for digging and hollowing out logs, gardening, and making shelter.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Hillbilly By***!

Thanked 1,652 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpz1234 View Post
While I have great fantasies of fighting with my KA-BAR in one hand and my trusty Tomahawk in the other, at the end of the day I think there's just about no chance of that really happening.

I vote hatchet. Don't get me wrong there are some truly sexy 'hawks out there. But this is not the Revolutionary era.
Lol! I'm glad I ain't the only one who has that fantasy. .
The Following User Says Thank You to Confederate Grey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate Grey View Post
Lol! I'm glad I ain't the only one who has that fantasy. .
If you study anything about Roger's Rangers, a lot will come up about Hawks as they were a standard piece of Kit in each Ranger's gear. While obviously a utility tool first, the hawk was mostly used to trap a bayonet or muzzle and then the killing blow was done with the reverse grip knife in the opposite hand. Back when rifles were single shot that was a pretty cool thing to have!
Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belifend View Post
If I had more options I'd choose a carpenter's hatchet....

My hatchet is similar to this one, I like the durability of the 1 piece design but that does seem to transfer a lot of the impact up into my wrist. Doesn't usually matter because you don't typically use a hatchet for an extended period of time but I guess it could become problematic. Going out to cut wood this weekend and possibly build some small hunting blinds/clear some brush. Primary tool will be the chain saw but I'll leave the hatchet and machete at home an put the hawk through its paces.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Fenced In

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,734 Posts

Hatchet for me, specifically one with a blunt back (or whatever the proper name is) on the blade. I've found that useful for camping in lieu of a hammer. Not much use for a `hawk in my case, but I can appreciate that the lighter weight might appeal to other folks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,856 Times in 700 Posts

If we are talking about camping, woods rambling etc then I'll take the hawk every time. It's much lighter, swings easier and I have never had to do a lot of heavy chopping while in the woods anyway.

If I'm going to carry a modern hatchet, I'm just going to go ahead and pack the 2 1/4 pound "boys axe".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,633 Times in 421 Posts

Tomahawk is my choice, the hatchet just adds more weight to my kit, and my hawk can do anything my hatchet can do at least in my neck of the woods. Also if I had to fight (without a gun of course) I'd pick the Hawk with out question. I practice throwing and fighting with a couple of people who love that sort of thing. Also for anyone interested in a good read try "the fighting Tomahawk" by Dwight C. McLemore. A great "illustrated guide to using the Tomahawk and long knife as weapons".
The Following User Says Thank You to EL GATO BLANCO For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Hillbilly By***!

Thanked 1,652 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
If you study anything about Roger's Rangers, a lot will come up about Hawks as they were a standard piece of Kit in each Ranger's gear. While obviously a utility tool first, the hawk was mostly used to trap a bayonet or muzzle and then the killing blow was done with the reverse grip knife in the opposite hand. Back when rifles were single shot that was a pretty cool thing to have!
Yeah I have researched Rogers Rangers extensively. I am drawn to that type of warfare.
If things go bad quick we will go back to that time period pretty quicky so I felt it was a good skill to learn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Confederate Grey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GATO BLANCO View Post
Tomahawk is my choice, the hatchet just adds more weight to my kit, and my hawk can do anything my hatchet can do at least in my neck of the woods. Also if I had to fight (without a gun of course) I'd pick the Hawk with out question. I practice throwing and fighting with a couple of people who love that sort of thing. Also for anyone interested in a good read try "the fighting Tomahawk" by Dwight C. McLemore. A great "illustrated guide to using the Tomahawk and long knife as weapons".
I HIGHLY recommend Mr. McLemore's books as well. There is no better guide on the art. His book on the Bowie is excellent as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate Grey View Post
Yeah I have researched Rogers Rangers extensively. I am drawn to that type of warfare.
If things go bad quick we will go back to that time period pretty quicky so I felt it was a good skill to learn.
You're darn right we will. But most importantly to me, I like using tools the way our ancestors did, for no other reason than to know how to do those things. Just great knowledge that seems rapidly lost in the age of smartphones and useless junk.

FWIW my trail hawk was on my hip today building a cedar post fence. It made the perfect size hammer and the handle made sliding it in and out of my belt on the small of my back really easy. Honestly it's a versatile, simple tool.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,699 Times in 5,481 Posts

If surviving breaks down to blade fighting, I will resort to the Katana.
In a fight, I find a thrusting tool superior to hawks.
Any thing thrown can be dodged.
But a skilled swordsman will make short work of you.
Granted a sword is strictly a fighting tool and only marginally useful for brush and wood craft.
Conversely I regard an pulaski with more usefulness than a hatchet or hawk.
Because long after the populations have diminished, one still needs to farm and build and protect from fire.
If calories count, the kinetic energy of a significant tool, will accomplish more per stroke.
Spoken as an ex forest fire fighter.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Answer Is No

For me it's a toss up between the Fiskars X7 (and newer black handle 7550) and the Cold Steel Pipe hawk. Both serve well and both are great tools for the size category. I also like my Cold Steel Spike Hawk, makes busting up rotten stumps and digging in hardpack ground or frozen ground much easier. Can't use the back as a hammer? Who cares? Cut yourself a baton.
As for the myth that tomahawks are weapons only, well it is a myth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 8,092 Times in 2,984 Posts

Main reason I prefer a Tomahawk is the handle. If I were to carry one it would be a Cold Steel. Not because its the best, but its good enough after I modify it.
Its cheap but strong.
I have several different ones for different situations.

Neither Hawk or Hatchet are good for self defense IMO.

So if you put a Trail hawk in a bug out bag, you can use it without the handle to make a handle. Don't use the set screw, you don't need it.

Trail hawk too light for you? Get the Pipe or Rifleman's hawk.

I have better things to spend money on than a hundred Dollars for a hawk, or Hatchet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post: