Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barnett Compound recruit crossbow vs recurve recruit crossbow Jake8313 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 6 05-13-2015 09:15 AM
New crossbow sgpratt Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 8 06-17-2014 10:24 AM
Noob to Noob - You're asking the wrong question backup1911 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 53 12-15-2013 01:57 PM
advice+noob=happy noob CiviSheepDog1017 General Discussion 11 03-16-2012 01:46 PM
AR-15.... crossbow?? Filthy_McNasty Firearms General Discussion 15 02-02-2011 05:25 PM
Cheap Smoker Project by 2 Cheap Guys Slim69 DIY - Do It Yourself 18 12-09-2010 10:27 PM
your own lumber cheap for cheap ? hkgonra Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 19 11-18-2010 05:51 PM

Old 07-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Prepared

Default cheap crossbow for noob

Advertise Here

I am looking to get into the hobby of using a crossbow, i have found this one on amazon: Amazon.com : Velocity Swarm Recurve Crossbow,... cover
Amazon.com : Velocity Swarm Recurve Crossbow,...I was curious if anyone has bought this, or if you could just take a look at it and let me know what you think.
As I am a noob, what would be a sufficient backstop, and how many bolts/quarells (what is propper terminology?) would i need? also, of what type should i use?
To summarize, i am NOT looking for something extremely expensive like a barnett, though i am sure that the quality will be higher, i simply cannot justify that kind of money on a brand new hobby, perhaps later when i get into the hobby.
THanks to all who read!
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofurhang View Post
I am looking to get into the hobby of using a crossbow, i have found this one on amazon: Amazon.com : Velocity Swarm Recurve Crossbow, Black : Sports & Outdoors
I was curious if anyone has bought this, or if you could just take a look at it and let me know what you think.
As I am a noob, what would be a sufficient backstop, and how many bolts/quarells (what is propper terminology?) would i need? also, of what type should i use?
To summarize, i am NOT looking for something extremely expensive like a barnett, though i am sure that the quality will be higher, i simply cannot justify that kind of money on a brand new hobby, perhaps later when i get into the hobby.
THanks to all who read!
This bow is not really a hunting quality bow, but if you just want it for casual shooting it should do fine, but dont expect a ton of range or accuracy with it, the limbs on it are not the best to generate alot of kinetic energy, as far as a back stop, i would look at a 4x4 block, mckenzie targets, yellow jacket, tough bags etc, as far as bolts go usually a quiver holds 4 bolts, the weight and length will depend upon the bow, standard crossbows use 20, and 22" size bolts, that one looks like it takes a smaller 18" but don't quote me on it, hope this helps
Old 07-21-2014, 07:34 PM
GO Dawgs

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts

The reviews sound good for it.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Well if you want to learn the basics before sinking hundreds of dollars into a real hunting one its an ok choice. Thinking of getting one myself to expand my sphere of skill sets. Just like with my rifles. I have a really nice .303 but stick to the .22 I have to build skill sets. And .22 is way cheaper then .303.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Navigator of the Unknown

I actually bought half a dozen of these 150 lb. el cheapo crossbows wholesale and doubled my money re-selling them. There is nothing wrong with them at all. They have the power of about a 50# compound bow, but with about 1/3 the range. The bolts really drop like a stone after 25 yards or so.

The two bolts that came with them were only 14 inches, size 2018 aluminum. These crossbows will also shoot 16 inch bolts of 2216 aluminum quite well, but you need a heavy tip or it will pull to the left a tad. If I still had one of these I would make a whole bunch of my own bolts from arrows I've bent from my longbow. I'd just cut them down to about 15 inches and make some half moon nocks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 PM
I am the keymaster.

Thanked 20,496 Times in 4,540 Posts

I didn't look at the cost, but for comparison.......

You can find a Barnett for about $320 and it will be hunting quality

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...ssbow?a=681070

So before you invest a lot in something that won't take you where you want to go, consider holding off and getting the right one the first time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamuraiScott For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,428 Times in 3,474 Posts

Save your money. You don't need it.
Its not for hunting.
Not for self defense.
So why buy it?
The Following User Says Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 01:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,441 Times in 4,136 Posts

It's a bloody toy.

Check out Wicked Ridge (by Ten Point) or Winchester for economical bows and A L L the makers have a range of hunting quality bows available...Check the stickies above for links.

At least with a more expensive and far more practical model you can recoup most of your money back if you don't like it and more importantly, you'll have something that actually will work and hit a target or make a kill beyond 10 yds.

You'll have spent $135 on something that won't work as a rel bow will, that you'll get disillusioned with after a few weeks and you'll never get your money back except from some parent buying their 12 year old a bow and not even then.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 AM

I shoot a Jandao Chace wind 150. 199.00. New. Tack Driver out to 50 yards. Ill post link later
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,716 Times in 4,572 Posts

the cheapest crossbow i would buy that could be used for hunting would be the barnett jackal. just my 2 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sert556 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sert556 View Post
the cheapest crossbow i would buy that could be used for hunting would be the barnett jackal. just my 2 cents.
Consider this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM9d-dIg7xk

Jandao Chace Wind.. with an HHA optimizer.. The Jackal is super sick though.. I've seen people drill deer vitals with it a 75 yards
Old 07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
25 Or 6 to 4

Thanked 18,382 Times in 4,717 Posts

Its substandard for chinese bows. 150# chinese weight= rabbits, squirrels, possums and coons. Stack of 110 conibears will do that for about 25 bucks.

The entry level is the mass produced 175# bows but they are only suitable to 40yds,(25-30 really) and thats if you spend the money for really good bolts and razors. The cheap bolts arent balanced or uniform. and dont fly straight at the 215-265fps the generic bows give up. If you are a very skilled hunter and can place yourself average 25 yds from game then those are fine. If your a crap hunter, newb or mostly your in very open land or loose open woods, you need to step up and pay some serious money to get the distance/power ratio to match that terrain. The same way a .38 special out of a lever gone doesnt belong on the plains hunting antelope at 400 yds. But it works great in dense evergreen forest. You see what i'm getting at.

You would be looking at a barnet panzer, inferno fury or jaguar if you intend to take game. Thats the entry, and you will want to be spending 5-600 for the next step up in a recurve. you want to avoid cables, wheels and bushings unless you have a shop that has agreed to be open in the PAW. lol. For just hunting now they are fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Its substandard for chinese bows. 150# chinese weight= rabbits, squirrels, possums and coons. Stack of 110 conibears will do that for about 25 bucks.

The entry level is the mass produced 175# bows but they are only suitable to 40yds,(25-30 really) and thats if you spend the money for really good bolts and razors. The cheap bolts arent balanced or uniform. and dont fly straight at the 215-265fps the generic bows give up. If you are a very skilled hunter and can place yourself average 25 yds from game then those are fine. If your a crap hunter, newb or mostly your in very open land or loose open woods, you need to step up and pay some serious money to get the distance/power ratio to match that terrain. The same way a .38 special out of a lever gone doesnt belong on the plains hunting antelope at 400 yds. But it works great in dense evergreen forest. You see what i'm getting at.

You would be looking at a barnet panzer, inferno fury or jaguar if you intend to take game. Thats the entry, and you will want to be spending 5-600 for the next step up in a recurve. you want to avoid cables, wheels and bushings unless you have a shop that has agreed to be open in the PAW. lol. For just hunting now they are fine.
Hi:-) if all you have is 175. And you want to kill deer at 35. Mine does it great.. Although I agree. I use easton magnums. And I hit exactly what I am at.

I do see and agree. I hunt in dense woods. 30 Is long for me
Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 PM
I am the keymaster.

Folks should pay attention to something. Several avid crossbow hunters have all kept repeating that the Barnett (made in America) is the best economic choice. There is a reason it keeps getting mentioned.

At the end of the day, people will take good advice or not. Suits me. Buy the $30 hand held crap one that falls apart. Less competition in the woods later.
The Following User Says Thank You to SamuraiScott For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 03:50 PM
I love this forum

you guys have to remember, poundage really doesnt mean the bow is powerfull, it is kinetic energy and ftlbs it can deliver, a cheaper bow like this with very weak limbs will not get you much kinetic energy, they use the 150/175 as selling gimmick to make the bow look better then it really is
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM

I've hunted with my bow. Trust me. Within thirty yards. When I hit the spot yall saw me hit repeatedly. It ain't bouncing off lol. But this is the key. I know my weapons stregnths. 25 And under. Optimal 40.. max on deer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krealitygroup For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by krealitygroup View Post
I've hunted with my bow. Trust me. Within thirty yards. When I hit the spot yall saw me hit repeatedly. It ain't bouncing off lol. But this is the key. I know my weapons stregnths. 25 And under. Optimal 40.. max on deer.
yours looks like a decent bow, it boasts that it hits 250fps this would be the low end scale of a crossbow , it would be minimal i would use for hunting and nothing above deer imo, i hunt with a few types of bows and i have found the sweet spot is around 300fps that will produce alot of kinetic energy with a 20" bolt
Old 07-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander20068 View Post
yours looks like a decent bow, it boasts that it hits 250fps this would be the low end scale of a crossbow , it would be minimal i would use for hunting and nothing above deer imo, i hunt with a few types of bows and i have found the sweet spot is around 300fps that will produce alot of kinetic energy with a 20" bolt
Yup. Deer is as big as Id go with that weapon
I'm getting the Jandao 330 For elk
Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
I am the keymaster.

I know I was really lucky, but I stumbled into a deal on an Excalibur Exomax, new and unfired in an estate situation, and ended up with $200 for it and a bunch of stuff. So I am taking into account that not everyone can find a super deal like this, but my crossbow shoots 355fps.
I totally agree that 300fps is a good target speed. (I didn't HAVE to brag to endorse that statement, but if I can't share with other arbalists, who can I tell that would appreciate it?)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamuraiScott For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM

I had one for awhile but rather a bow and full length arrows, for fun it's a great tool aswell as for small game, if you wanted a proper crossbow I love the looks and feel of the barrnet RAZR but the cost wise is the wildcat
The Following User Says Thank You to Black_Bear84 For This Useful Post: