Kerosene heater - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to store a kerosene heater? Fire/hunting guy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-20-2015 01:49 PM
Looked into getting a Kerosene heater. Shaz Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 49 12-02-2013 10:41 AM
need help with kerosene heater bigred6695 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 09-26-2013 09:32 PM
kerosene heater care question wadedog Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 12-09-2012 08:32 PM
My Awsome Free Kerosene Heater!! FarmerChad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 11-09-2012 07:50 PM
salamander kerosene heater carneyj1620 DIY - Do It Yourself 4 01-05-2012 03:47 PM
Kerosene heater worth getting warhawk-77 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 12-24-2011 03:16 PM
Propane or K1 Kerosene heater bigislandhikers Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 01-18-2010 02:36 AM
Alpaca TS-77 kerosene heater bulrush Urban Survival 9 01-18-2010 02:26 AM
Kerosene Heater or Ventless Propane? ijuswannalive Urban Survival 44 09-24-2009 11:54 PM

Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Hiker

Default Kerosene heater

Advertise Here

Greetings,

I never used that product before. The only time in fact I used kerosene, was to clean my hands from paint stains.

I bought that heater: http://www.amazon.com/Sengoku-KeroHeat-Convection-... cover
http://www.amazon.com/Sengoku-KeroHeat-Convection-...
I bought 1K kerosene at Ace hardware. I am sure of the quality of it.

I followed all the instructions to the letter and let the wick soak for 2 hours and half after initial filling.

I even lighted up the heater outside and brought it inside after 10 minutes.

1 - After 40 minutes, I had to turn it off. It smells too much kerosene inside the house.
2 - The knob was turned all the way up and the flame was barely at 3/4 inch per the burning level recommended on only 70% of the circle.

It is normal it smells like that?

I checked the wick per manual and it seems to be installed ok. Anyone can tell me a solution for the flame level. I saw a youtube video and the guy had to lower the wick a few times while time passed. I never had to do it. Also, for about 30% of the "circle" the flame does not go over the burner at all.

Thank you
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,532 Times in 5,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestak View Post
It is normal it smells like that?
They are pretty stinky. Mine gives me a headache so much that I stopped using it. Plus kerosene around here is $40 for a 5 gallon bucket.

I don't know about the wick problem. Maybe trim it?

Make sure you keep a window cracked so you don't die.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,656 Times in 879 Posts

Two solutions to the smell: there's an additive you add to the kerosene BEFORE you put your kerosene in your heater, the other is using a pot (or coffee can) and fill it with water and place it on top of your heater. Then toss in some of that flowery stuff into the water. I'm sorry, I just can't think of the proper name for it. The aroma will spread thru the house neutralizing the kerosene smell. It will also add moisture to your home. I have a 10x50 mobile home, using the same type of barrel heater you have. And it gets very dry inside the trailer because of the heat. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Hiker

Does that mean the smell is "normal" without taking any measure To counter it.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,920 Times in 5,325 Posts

Did you crack a window for ventilation? When we used ours we set it by a kitchen window that was open by about an inch. The scent of kerosene was not too strong.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Electric Bowhunter

Sometimes the burner that sits over the wick can get cocked up a little on one side or another. If it does it will not burn correctly and the flame will not heat the burner fully. It will also stink and if its cocked up enough will smoke. Once it has heated up to operating temperature it really shouldnt have that much of a smell. If you will add a little HEET (yellow bottle not red) to the kerosene, a ratio of about an ounce to ten gallons or so it will burn cleaner as well. It is the same stuff as those higher priced clean burn additives. I have used it for years in mine and it does help.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,918 Times in 2,838 Posts

Kerosene smells like kerosene. I have a heater, looks like that one, maybe a sunbeam or etc...... Had it for 20 years. Used it a lot when I first got it, now, just for emergencies. I also use it in the summer kitchen in the winter if I need to work out there. Canning or processing meat. If the wick is too high, it will smoke. If the flame spreader is on cock-eyed, the flame will not burn all the way around. I think I used a small amount of kero-Klean in my storage can. I looked, couldn't find the bottle.
I also burn kerosene lamps , too, so I'm used to the smell?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,976 Times in 9,089 Posts

Never met a kerosene heater that didn't stink to my nose. Propane burns a heck of a lot cleaner, cheaper to buy too. Around here like last year electricity is one third cheaper than buying propane and if wood cost more than about $100 bucks a cord electricity is cheaper. I have base board electric, a Blue flame vent less propane and a big air tight wood stove.

I looking into doing a rocket mass heater next.

Sometimes the power company has nothing to buy due to downed lines. Propane truck doesn't come in the winter.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,373 Posts

I have a heater just like that one, that I bought at a garage sale for $5 and it came with 5 gallons of kerosene, (sorry but I just had to brag).

I had to replace the mica window and the wick, which was not a big deal. I downloaded a manual online, and taking it apart to clean, and replace the wick is not brain surgery.

You may want to adjust the wick, just follow the instruction in the owner's manual.

I use Kero Klean vanilla scent, it helps a little, http://www.lowes.com/pd_34417-1699-P...3032706&rpp=32 our local Lowes had it on sale a couple years ago so I bought several bottles.
Lowes also carries wicks for these models.

Here is a site that has some pretty good info http://www.endtimesreport.com/regular_maintenance.html
Here is another good site http://www.kerosene-wicks.com/
I hope some of the above info helps you.

Last edited by Old Warrior; 03-01-2014 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: added info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,336 Posts

I gave up on kerosene heaters because they will leave soot on your ceilings. I know this from experience. We could see the damage as we were repainting the ceiling, it wasn't noticeable at first but as we applied the fresh paint we could definitely see the soot.

I'm now using two electric space heaters to supplement my oil furnace. I'd rather take a hit on my electric bill than to purchase another $500 minimum oil purchase. I have a quartz heater that puts out a lot of heat, and an oil filled register type heater, which keeps my bedroom very toasty.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,911 Times in 1,313 Posts

I have heard that vanilla extract from the grocery store will scent kerosene. I had no idea Lowes had something along those lines available.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:20 PM

I quit using mine about 3 years ago because I was afraid of the possible carbon monoxide. Went back to heating with wood. There are additives to offset the smell but my house is sealed so tight, I really was afraid of the the carbon monoxide.

So I have three fairly new Kerosun heaters if anyone is interested. All were working just fine when I moved them into the garage.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,267 Times in 539 Posts

Mine works just fine out in the barn but fuel is a bit much.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,558 Times in 2,318 Posts

I've got several kerosene heaters that are only used for emergencies. We loose power fairly often so they get use at least once a year.

Kero heaters smell but not strongly. If only 70% of your wick was burning- something's wrong.

It can take 10 minutes for them to get hot but once they do, the smoke stops, and the smell almost stops. I start them on the porch and let them heat up before I bring them inside.

I think your wick is out of adjustment or not drawing fuel for some reason.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 PM

have you looked into an "indoor safe" heater?

I have a Mr Heater Portable Buddy and it works great. Now...I would never fall asleep with this on but it does what it says and produces no adverse smells.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 PM

I have bronchitis. We put kerosene heater in the warehouse at work this winter. I was sick the first day.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,228 Times in 3,494 Posts

I have one and I used it quite a bit this year. My house is an older house and is pretty drafty, so I'm not too worried about CM poisoning. I do have a few detectors, though, as should everyone who uses a kerosene heater.

Mine does have a bit of an odor to it, but I've gotten used to it. If you light it/blow it out outside it really make a difference.

One tip, when you put the flame out, make sure you come back in a few minutes and double check, make sure it actually went out. It did that once when I was going to bed. I had put it out and went to bed, and after a bit I started smelling it bad. I went and checked and there was a little flame still going. Very small, almost unnoticeable, but boy did it sure smell. So now I usually put the flame out outside, especially if I'm going to bed.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM
human

Thanked 4,355 Times in 2,090 Posts

When I was a kid my dad heated our garage with a kerosene heater and it STUNK, and that garage had plenty of drafts.

I stayed in a small hunting cabin for a couple of days, it's only source of heat was a "properly vented (to the outside)" kerosene heater. It stunk.

Then next year the owner of the cabin said that he had an additive to lessen the odor. It still STUNK.

Properly burning oil lanterns STINKS.

The fumes given off can't be healthy, and the paraffin wax fuels aren't much better.

Their fumes also tend to soak into furniture, clothes and drapes.

I'd rather be cold than inhaling the odor for any length of time.

But.. I don't want to freeze to death either.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Target Shooter

I used a Kero Sun about 20 years ago for several years. I used to be able to buy K1 kerosene from one of the local gas stations and had no problem over all that time. The last time I purchased 15 gallons from them it must have been diesel fuel as it gummed up the wick badly and stunk as well. We moved to a new house shortly after that and I trashed the whole mess fuel and all. Wish I still had it now!