Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer "Camp" that teaches survival, farming, carpentry, hunting, etc tankman1989 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 02-14-2016 07:10 AM
100 Pack 8" color reactive shooting targets - $25.19 shipped after coupon "slickguns" apps47inc For Sale 0 05-24-2015 07:26 PM
Bulldog MSR Sling Pack with Detachable Fanny Pack - $26.99 Free S/H over $49 w/coupon apps47inc For Sale 0 05-17-2015 10:20 PM
(100 Pack) Pop-N-Glo Targets 8.5" X 11" - $26.99 shipped after coupon "slickguns" apps47inc For Sale 0 05-14-2015 04:45 PM
Fanny Pack vs Vest small saddle wedgie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 10-12-2013 10:10 PM
Bad OPSEC to have a "Patriotic" or "Tactical" decal on vehicle?? Studio BK Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 129 10-25-2012 10:13 AM
25 Pack - 4 Bullseye 8 1/2" by 11" (100 Total 4" targets) - $12.50 + FSSS* apps47inc For Sale 0 05-21-2012 07:22 PM
Alice pack and tactical Vest special $30 victor23 For Sale 71 03-09-2012 05:29 PM
GEAR REVIEW: Diamondback Tactical SOF "Assault," pack Tax Man Reviews and questions 1 07-13-2010 08:41 AM
Fanny pack I use while hunting video kev Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 0 12-01-2007 02:07 PM

Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Hunting fanny pack or "tactical vest"?

Advertise Here

I know it's kind of an odd question, but I am just starting out hunting and I am using a small backpack and even though it doesn't seem to have much stuff in it, it is somewhat cumbersome for slinking around the woods while stalking. When I take it off I am able to move much more stealthily through the woods but then I have to go back and get it.
I was thinking one of those hunting fanny packs or a tactical vest with all their pockets might be more streamlined or have the weight distributed better so I don't feel like I am constantly compensating for the extra weight on my back.
I have a large hiking backpack for getting into and out of camp. This would be just what I use for the day while I am away from camp. Any and all ideas are welcome. I wasn't sure which forum to put this in cause I hunt deer and elk and squirrel and grouse and anything else that lives in these mountains. I appreciate your input.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 36,386 Times in 8,897 Posts

I've used fanny packs many years.

I don't like a vest over my jackets. It gets warm in the afternoons and I'll either unzip to cool off or just take the jacket off and tie around my waist.

I don't like the backpacks either, just to hard to access.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking. My back was completely soaked with sweat with the backpack I used. I figured the vest would prob do the same but at least would distribute the weight better. Then I thought of the fanny pack and was wondering about others experiences with them.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM

I've used a belt pack (sounds nicer than fanny pack) for almost 10 years and would not trade it for anything. Damn near 15 lbs of ammo, gloves, knives, rope, first aid, food, flashlights, compass, hatchet and wood/bone saw.

It can get heavy and annoying on your hips but it is way better than it on you back. Mine came with shoulder straps, never used them... I prefer as many pockets as you can find, mine has 8 for better organization.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to litman252 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,271 Times in 698 Posts

You might look into something like the Badlands Monster Fanny Pack that is a large fanny pack with shoulder straps. For birds and small game, I'd go with a regular hunting vest with the game carrier pouch in the back.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 61,639 Times in 8,803 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I wouldn't do a tactical vest. There are hunting vests available at the big sports retailers. Some have fanny pack harnesses too. Or you can have a custom leather LBE set created for your specific needs and style of hunting.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Mens.../104669280.uts
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50655...ield=Relevance
http://www.scheels.com/shop/en/schee...-hunting-vests
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...5170/cat100177
http://www.levergunleather.com/p_cases_pouches.htm Scroll down about 3/4 of the way.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 AM

The only reason I am even considering the tactical vest is that I have a small lightweight collapsible bag that attaches to the back of the vest that would be good for hauling out game. But I think the fanny bag would possibly be more comfortable.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Hunter, Photographer

A turkey hunting vest usually has an opening in the back for packing them out and a seat attached.
I use a vest for turkey hunting, because of my calls.
Backpack for deer season for my gloves and space to keep my outer layer if I get warm.
Sometimes the waist pack if it is warm or I am bow hunting, just to keep light gloves, snacks, water ect. in.

squirrel hunting, I use a small pullstring bag that has a zipped pocket on it. I line the bag with plastic walmart bags to keep the squirrels in and keep ammo and anything else in the sipped pocket. Carry my water bottle or use my canteen with a strap.

Honestly though, I use my backpack most. Vest can be annoying so I'll just stick some mouth calls in my pocket. "Fanny pack" can be heavy and awkward. Squirrel hunting, I'll just use my squirrel pin and pin them to my belt loop.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

I've linked below to safari vests, much lighter than tactical vests, a huge variety of styles to choose from.

Used by hikers, hunters and photographers all over the world, many have open mesh backs to keep you cooler.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1366&bih=629

Perhaps just add a 'bum bag' as we Aussies call sports type waist bags.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,453 Times in 2,662 Posts

I have this interesting three pouch belt thing. Is just a simple belt with a clasp (not meant to be put through your pant loops.) It has two smaller pouches on each side, and one big waterproof pouch in the back. The big pouch is meant for you to put your game in, which is very convenient. You can also sit on the ground and your butt won't get wet (as long as it's empty of course).

What's really nice about that rig is I can wear another belt with my canteen, knife, and pistol, then put this belt on top of that and arrange it so that all the items completely surround my waste without interfering with each other. Both belts can be unfastened in a second so it's easy to dump the gear in a moments notice if need be.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:24 AM

That sounds interesting. What brand is it?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,453 Times in 2,662 Posts

I wanna say its Field and Stream. I got it at Big5. Looks similar to this:
http://www.deben.com/user/products/G...ags_Deluxe.jpg
Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Cool. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Confused,but not Lost

Thanked 1,079 Times in 616 Posts

Does anyone out there make a tac vest in blaze orange,or the cami orange? I like a vest but no where have I found in orange. I use and old USMC 782 gear setup because I carry so much cra.. gear with me when I walk in.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM

I like RIBZ
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,440 Times in 4,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiddagger View Post
Does anyone out there make a tac vest in blaze orange,or the cami orange? I like a vest but no where have I found in orange. I use and old USMC 782 gear setup because I carry so much cra.. gear with me when I walk in.
That would be self defeating wouldn't it!

O P -- There are numerous hunting vests around that have all the pockets you need and carried by all the hunting stores like Bass Pro, Cabelas but my favourites came from L.L. Bean...I prefer a smooth facing without pouches as they just hang you up when you're trying to mount your gun...Another pack that I use a lot is a sling pack as that frees up the shooting shoulder from any straps to get in the way of a clean mount.

I also use a Fanny pack in addition to the sling pack and/or vest stocked with my survival kit etc...The again, it matters what type of hunting that I'm doing--stalking or ambush, archery, BP or rifle...Most importantly where I'm doing this hunting--geographic and/or climatic
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

Orange cargo vests:

http://www.thefind.com/apparel/brows...ity-cargo-vest

This load bearing harness looks interesting also:

http://www.dhgate.com/product/pacifi...140291341.html

The Galls company looks to have the best emergency technician style cargo vests in a variety of different colours.

http://www.galls.com/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=EV004
Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiddagger View Post

I don't care for tac vests. Thought I did, till I owned one.

I still use the 782 gear, myself. Much more comfortable.

Have never tried a fanny pack.

Lobo
Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Cabela's Activ-Lite Shell and Bird belt looks pretty good and it's on sale. I may get it and try it out. Looks like it would hold all the necessities for a half day away from camp.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 PM
CPAs do it by the numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasneinc View Post
Cabela's Activ-Lite Shell and Bird belt looks pretty good and it's on sale. I may get it and try it out. Looks like it would hold all the necessities for a half day away from camp.
I ordered one and it came yesterday. Decent piece of gear, should work well for Chukar hunting. You can't overload it though since it has no suspenders like some of the other fanny bag type rigs so I can see it drooping while I climb a ridge.