Best survival hatchet? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Estwing Carpenters Hatchet for a hard use survival Hatchet? Grizzlyman89701 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 03-22-2015 02:12 AM
Which Hatchet Red Dirt Walker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 01-31-2015 09:27 PM
Hatchet not for me Nutty Old Geezer Knives, Swords & Axes 28 04-21-2013 06:09 PM
Tired of lame survival knives...created own survival hatchet cstockwell Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 06-05-2012 11:04 AM
Anyone have a sword, hatchet or axe from Mineral mountain Hatchet Works? Sped Man Knives, Swords & Axes 0 09-24-2011 09:10 PM
Need a new hatchet Domindart Knives, Swords & Axes 10 07-19-2011 05:55 AM
Anybody tried this "Survival Hatchet"? fnsmitty Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 12-10-2010 10:47 AM
Hatchet Antman119 Knives, Swords & Axes 17 07-27-2010 04:30 PM
Black Jack Knives viking raider hatchet for survival? FloridaState Knives, Swords & Axes 11 04-18-2010 10:53 PM

Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 AM

Default Best survival hatchet?

Advertise Here

When I was a kid, I had a cheap hatchet, the end of the handle had a compass, it unscrewed, you could store fishing line, maps, wheatever in the end of it. It had a hammer on one end, and a broad hatchet, nail puller and hook on the other. Weighed about 3 lbs. It was PERFECT,..... except it was CHEAP, PLASTIC JUNK. It broke on my second camping trip.

Ive been shopping for a week now for a nice, man-packable, multi-function, heavy-duty survival hatchet..............havent found anything that I like. It MUST have a hammer end, be lightweight, packable, and heavy duty.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM
+

Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom69 View Post
When I was a kid, I had a cheap hatchet, the end of the handle had a compass, it unscrewed, you could store fishing line, maps, wheatever in the end of it. It had a hammer on one end, and a broad hatchet, nail puller and hook on the other. Weighed about 3 lbs. It was PERFECT,..... except it was CHEAP, PLASTIC JUNK. It broke on my second camping trip.

Ive been shopping for a week now for a nice, man-packable, multi-function, heavy-duty survival hatchet..............havent found anything that I like. It MUST have a hammer end, be lightweight, packable, and heavy duty.

Gimmicky tools usually aren't good performers. A good traditional axe, hatchet, or tomahawk is a "multi-function" tool, but require skill to utilize that potential. Make a separate kit for your other odds and ends. You can easily stay under 2 lbs with decent chopper. Here are some commonly available choices...

Fiskars X7
Estwing E24A
Gransfor Bruks Wildlife Hatchet
Cold Steel Pipe Hawk

They all take a little fine tuning and or maintenance. Simply the nature of edged tools. Estwing is about as heavy duty as you get. Aside from edge work the Estwing and Fiskars are low maintenance. The wildlife hatchet is very nice from the get go. Also pricey. And like any wood handled tool will eventually need repair. As for tomahawks, there are a lot of gimmicky tomahawks which aren't very good at anything. There are also some really tough and well made tactical hammer poll tomahawks, but they chop bricks better than they chop wood. That's what they're designed for. The Cold Steel Pipe Hawk performs very well, but takes some work up front to really make it good tool. Like the wildlife hatchet it will require some maintenance over time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Im partial to the Fiskars/Gerber compsite handled ones. I own two and they take a beating, plus they are light... I have one packed in my bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krookz For This Useful Post:

Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Bush Walker

Thanked 5,076 Times in 1,882 Posts

I carry a cold steel trail hawk head and make handles out in the bush
Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Prepared

Gimmicky tools usually aren't good performers,,,you are spot on, Lakota.

Almost always, tools dedicated to the job are best. Just get the array of quality tools you need. You'll save more in the long run and get much better quality.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:28 PM

I've read some good reviews on the Husqvarna hatchet as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 PM

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,43407&p=32016

I have had one of these for a few years and it has never let me down, I have made some modifications and removed the wood handle and replaced it with 2 layers of paracord wrap.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lvjordanlv For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Hunter

Location: When in the states, Washington State, outside Seattle
Thanked 2,153 Times in 895 Posts

Personally, I like the Ontario SPAX...while not a hatchet in the traditional sense, I will do what you want out of a hatchet and then some.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Christian

Thanked 50,605 Times in 21,631 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

How about this one from Ontario...

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/x...ue-entry-tool/

Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 PM

I do a little camping, but it is mostly car camping. I have several hatchets that I use including a Gerber Gator Combo Axe II. It does the job for basic camping needs, but doesn't feel as sturdy as an old Sears hatchet I bought back in the 80s. I think the Eastwing would be the closest to the Sears model hatchet. It will be a little bit heavier than the Gerber, or a composite handled tool, but as I can attest, it will last for years with minimal maintenance.

I would say it depends on your needs, ruggedness, or light weight.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 AM
V

Thanked 34,640 Times in 13,899 Posts

Just go to the hardware store pick up a couple, choose one you like the feel of then pick up something to sharpen it with (My best advice). If you want a gimmicky "survival hatchet" Gerber did a couple with either a saw or a knife in the handle but that's all there is room for.

There is no point in having a compass in the handle of anything you're going to be beating/whacking with "Survival Axe or Rambo Knife" because all that beating/whacking buggers your compass up
The Following User Says Thank You to Smudge For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 03:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,030 Times in 523 Posts

The SPAX is an interesting thing, I can see the thinking. I usually carry an old school Shinglers Hatchet. Dont underestimate the use of a hammer poll for beating on things. A nail notch can have it's uses, too.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,453 Times in 514 Posts

I say the Plumb rigging hatchet. It has a hammer, a nail puller, and of course hatchet. I ordered on a while back based on reviews and its as tuff as they say. No cover for the blade, but one could be made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vdub For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,425 Times in 1,771 Posts

Estwing is good stuff for the price
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2wheelslave For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Trapper

Well I have 3, I have a fiskars, gerber paxe axe and a husquvarna small hatchet. Out of the three the Husquvarna is the shiznit. Sharp, eats wood for breakfast as long as you can swing it will eat. if broken can easily be replaced in the field by carving another handle using the head. This cant be done with the molded handles. I love them too but the husquvarna wins hands down for its ability to be repaired in the field, something to think about come shtf.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom69 View Post

Estwing makes a Rigging axe that has framing hammer cross hatching type cuts on the hammer head, straight line cutting edge on the axe, and a solid steel one piece head through full tang handle. Rubber coating for grip. Last forever. But it is a bit heavy. I suppose if you wanted to lighten it up you could drill some holes in the blade. I love mine, have used it for over 20 years, had one before that that disappeared after about 20 years of use.

Stanley makes a couple nice camp hatchets, hammer headed.

I actually figured a rock could always be grabbed up for camping hammer.

When on hunting trips I carry a very light weight hatchet with a cast plastic handle. Takes agreat edge, SS head/blade, nicely shapped handle, though I did have to file some rough flash off the casting for nicer grip. comes with a lifetime warranty. Cost about 30 bucks ten years ago. They did replace one that I gave my son just on my word that it broke. (It was advertised as a throwing hatchet, and we managed to shatter the handle on a tree trunk. )
The Following User Says Thank You to Henre' Neville For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,016 Times in 724 Posts

My vote is with the fiskars, they are incredibly sharp, light and as close to unbreakable as I have found.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:29 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 10,647 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvjordanlv View Post
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,43407&p=32016

I have had one of these for a few years and it has never let me down, I have made some modifications and removed the wood handle and replaced it with 2 layers of paracord wrap.

yay!

I've got one of those as well.
Bought it in an army surplus store.
Cost me about $12, made in China from one piece of forged steel.
The wooden handles are riveted to the steel shaft, I wrapped black electrical tape around them when they started to come loose, the tape is still in place today.
That was about 20 years ago.
The best $12 bucks I ever spent on a piece of camping/back garden equipment.

There are a hundred different axes/hatchets for sale around the place, but this one has been damn near perfect for everything I've needed it for.
Carbon steel, but takes a while to get any rust on it.
Easily sharpened.
Riveted handles are the weakest point, but either just wrap tape around them, or replace the rivets with screws, or take the handles off and wrap para cord around the shaft, as lvjordanlv has done.

Cheers: Jaq
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,289 Times in 1,958 Posts

Im not a huge fan of Cold Steel, but i highly recommend the Cold Steel tomahawks as it is very easy to replace the handles in the field so to speak if they break.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Trapper

brand or type dont determine....best....
level of sharpness and sustainability of sharpness do
The Following User Says Thank You to spundj For This Useful Post: