Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lions and tigers and... my job??? Oh ****! Recently_Awoken Manmade and Natural Disasters 45 02-02-2015 10:47 PM
The most RIDICULOUS campsite ever. (((lions can't get me!))) Refreshing Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 42 02-09-2014 01:15 PM
Pack - Lions STEEPOE General Discussion 0 11-24-2011 11:37 AM
Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh my! Prepping General Discussion 0 10-19-2011 06:51 PM
Mountain Lions spotted in a Southern California city caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 10-06-2011 12:01 AM
We Are the Lions ApiarySociety New Member Introduction 14 08-16-2011 01:27 AM
Mountain Lions sighted in southern Indiana mottloh Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 13 01-26-2011 06:14 PM
Defending against or avoiding mountain lions? justin_baker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 64 01-18-2010 03:59 PM
Mountain Lions weirddavid Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 104 09-30-2009 10:28 AM
Lions Tour the hog British Isles and ROI 1 06-28-2009 10:26 AM

Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Default Mountain Lions in Pennsylvania

Advertise Here

Are they really around? I tend to believe they are. Anyone here claim to see one?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Str8_Shooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Hunter and Prepper

Think about Penn State, the school mascot was chosen because of the amount of lions residing on Mt. Nittany. Im positive there are.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcodyr19 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Target Shooter

A friend of mine on the PA side of the WNY/PA border had one in her neighborhood that was sighted regularly. She started walking in the middle of the road instead of the side.
The Following User Says Thank You to medicineball For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,054 Times in 778 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by mountain lion. The term mountain lion, panther, puma...they all seem to be interchangeable but I'm sure a biologist would disagree.

Either way, I saw a panther in WV when I was a kid. It was in a big mountain laurel patch along the Cheat river, right outside of Rowlesburg. That sucker was big, quiet and fast.

I was backpacking and must have stumbled into his den. There was a little clearing there and the place smelled like amonia and was littered with bones. As I looked toward the river I saw it running along the bank. By the time I called out to the rest of the Boyscouts it was gone. It appeared to be black, but that could have been a trick of the shadows.

People say they don't exist here. I know otherwise. Very few people outside of a few old timers (who refered to them as "painters") ever believed me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 AM

A friend of mine works for the Pa. Fish Comm. He spends a lot of time in the woods hunting and trapping. He said he saw on in north central Pa. a few years back. I have a camp there, havent seen one yet. I keep looking ! A few people in that area claim they are there. Sure hope so!
The Following User Says Thank You to snake3336 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 AM

Yes its true, I have family on the western side, they have pictures from the sheep pasture, positively a mountain lion, a big one (2009), we are talking golden panther size. Not a little California cougar. Game commission told them they did not release it, and called them liars until they showed them evidence, they still deny a release ,Farmers in his area were all raising Cain. Explanation was with deer population exploding they may be making a comeback.
Clarion
The Following User Says Thank You to ignis fatuus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM
tempus fugit

Thanked 1,003 Times in 380 Posts

One mile south of the western NY border in Pa, 4 months ago, I saw an adult and 2 cubs.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2nevermore For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 28,450 Times in 6,787 Posts

The PA Game and Wildlife Commision deny the presence of Lions in PA despite multiple sightings. A good friend of mine who lives in the eastern part of the state watched one walk along a road while being passed by a a school bus of all things, the driver and the kids on board saw it as well. This was last year. They're there but the authorities refuse to offically admit that fact.

Same here in Texas, this was taken by a game camera just south of where I live two years ago:

Kinda looks like a Lion to me......
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Prepared

Back in the late 60's, early 70's we would hear them all the time (south central PA area - Franklin County within spittin' distance of the MD line) - sounded like a woman screaming. Many a time Mom would let the laundry sit on the line until the next day because she was afraid of going way out to the laundry line in the dark.

Two years ago a woman in my car pool saw a black one crossing the road DURING THE DAY, this was also in northern Franklin County.

DNR says they don't exist in this area, but I'm pretty sure a DNR presence is what's actually "missing" around here!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,309 Times in 6,222 Posts

they say we don't have them in ohio either , but i have heard them , and seen pics from game cameras

also about the dept of wildlife , they will lie about the existence of animals to try and protect them . there is a nesting pair of bald eagles in the area outside of a town not far from here . The fish and game denied it and denied till someone took a picture and the news paper ran it on the front page . That's when they changed the story, and said they had to try to protect the birds from poachers
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal4liberty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Target Shooter

I'm in Wayne County. 9 miles from the NY border. I've found tracks on two occasions. 90% sure I met up with one at night a couple years ago. We have neighbors who saw one in broad daylight a few times as well. Also heard of one down by the Dallas PA area. They are most definitely here.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff92 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,170 Times in 888 Posts

I live in north western PA and have seen the pictures of them locally. We definately have coyotes and wolves (seen 'em both).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Always Preparing

Thanked 1,260 Times in 623 Posts

I've heard of them being seen here and there, but it's usually a friend of a friend of a friend who saw it. They do wonder into neighborhoods every once and a while and then they make the news.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Angry Chaote

They're in Vermont and New Hampshire too.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignis fatuus View Post
Yes its true, I have family on the western side, they have pictures from the sheep pasture, positively a mountain lion, a big one (2009), we are talking golden panther size. Not a little California cougar. Game commission told them they did not release it, and called them liars until they showed them evidence, they still deny a release ,Farmers in his area were all raising Cain. Explanation was with deer population exploding they may be making a comeback.
Clarion
Hey! I'm from Clarion too! Graduated C-L in 1997.
The Following User Says Thank You to Str8_Shooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 PM
tempus fugit

Thanked 1,003 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
I live in north western PA and have seen the pictures of them locally. We definately have coyotes and wolves (seen 'em both).
I've heard more coyotes this past year than in my entire life up till then. My son likes to stand on the back deck and see if they will answer him if he howls. A few times they did. I've seen more bears and foxes in the past few years. A friend took pictures of a bobcat eating roadkill by the main road less than one mile from my house and a year ago a township employee hit one with his truck.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,324 Times in 303 Posts

[QUOTE=Flinter;5230368]I'm not sure what you mean by mountain lion. The term mountain lion, panther, puma...they all seem to be interchangeable but I'm sure a biologist would disagree./QUOTE]

It all means the same thing, just depends on area of the country. I also know we have them in WNY. I've seen two in the last 5 years. I am just north of the PA border, so if we have them, PA has them.

Biker
The Following User Says Thank You to Biker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,078 Times in 4,570 Posts

Wife says she's seen em a couple times in the last few years. Fish & Game says no.
But people still swear they're are around. Meh.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,681 Posts

Two years ago I was deer hunting on my mountain place in VA. Mid morning I crossed a set of clear tracks in about 1" of snow and said to myself, "wow, that's either a VERY big bobcat or a small lion". Several hours later, the same day, higher on the mountain, I came across another set of blurred (scufffed up) tracks that I first thought was likely a bear, not plentiful on my farm but not uncommon either. I followed the tracks a short distance and when I found a clear track, there was no doubt. A very big lion track. Just guessing but I'm thinking of the possibility of a small female and a large male but I don't really know their habits that well.

About 20 years ago I heard one screaming (just an assumption it was a lion) when I was on the porch of my old log house, several hundred yards up the side of a hill. I had heard the description of it sounding like a woman's scream and I actually thought a woman was being attacked on my mountain. I grabbed my pistol and whatever it was continued screaming as I got closer. I started calling saying hang on I'm coming. I got within about 200 feet of where the screams were coming from and they abruptly stopped. I milled around the area for a bit but saw nothing unusual and obviously found nothing to indicate any violence. Hindsight tells me it was likely a lion. I've heard bobcats during mating season (out west) and this was nothing like it.

The game dept. officially says, no mtn lions in VA but they admit there have been quite a number of 'unconfirmed' sightings. Strangely enough, even though there are officially no lions, shooting one is illegal.

A mountain lion is one of the three (I think) large American mammals I have not seen in the wild. Sure would be a thrill to actually see one. The other 2 unseen wild ones are polar bear and wolverine.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Prepared

You people are crazy! Mountain lions in PA? Pictures? First hand sightings? This is not proof! The PA game commission says NO MOUNTAIN LIONS! They can't possibly be wrong! Lol ok sarcasm over. I have never seen one personally, have seen bobcats, coyotes, bears, and whatnot but no mountain lions. I have heard countless stories of others seeing them and I truly believe we have them. We now have feral pigs that the PAGC actually confirms and wants eradicated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lock For This Useful Post: