Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety Announcement: Protecting Against Garage Door Break-Ins Red*Lion DIY - Do It Yourself 17 06-14-2016 01:49 AM
National Guard doing door to door training in U.S. collecting weapons! nullzero Controversial News and Alternative Politics 157 01-12-2016 10:04 AM
Manhunt in Cen Florida/Police Door to Door Kebler414 General Discussion 36 01-19-2015 05:48 PM
Connecticut State Police: No Door to Door Gun Confiscations Ruble Political News and Discussion 43 04-01-2014 10:05 PM
Apartment next door burglared, our door tampered Dax Urban Survival 56 01-09-2013 06:47 PM
Govt. Agencies to start door to door Gun removal Bur Firearms General Discussion 34 12-14-2012 11:13 AM
Hurricane Sandy National Guard/Marine Corps Door to Door Search and Assistance BobMacnamara General Discussion 6 11-06-2012 10:36 AM
Scary Door to Door Survey on food preps? Idaho_Survivor General Discussion 27 03-22-2012 05:30 PM
How to break open a door like a fireman PapaWhiskyBravo Urban Survival 36 11-10-2011 07:07 PM
Break in proof door........ Ponce Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-23-2009 07:36 PM

Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I love this forum

Default Break-Proof Door

Advertise Here

So i was thinking today during school about a thread a read a few days ago about a reinforced door. So i put my mind to it and decided on an idea for one. This is for a hollow door. Start by removing the door then cutting a hole in the bottom of the door. Get some old sheets of plywood and compress then together as tight as you can get them. Insert compressed plywood sheets into the door. Put three deadbolts on the door and add two more hinges. The more or less break - proof part is the last part that would be added. 3 old solid steel rods drilled through the door that are retractable with a wind able wheel on the side of the wall. Replace the screws on the hinges. I have no idea if this would work or not i am just throwing to out there as something i would like to do this summer with an old room once we move.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Other

My grandfather had a door built that was supposed to withstand being broken in. Was essentially multiple sheets of metal welded together. The issue was that to keep it from being broken in you have to mount it as an outward opening door so the frame helps keep it from being pushed in. Some dudes showed up with a cutting torch and cut off the hinges, drilled through the door, inserted an anchor into the hole, and pulled the door out of its metal frame. I am sure you could build one but it will only slow them down not stop them. And unless your walls are made of steel reinforced concrete then a good old sledge hammer will go right through the wall next to the door in short order.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carl.net For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,495 Times in 2,824 Posts

I just finished building my BOL and i designed all the doors to be handicapped (36" wide) and they all open outward....They are steel industrial doors with steel reinforced frames.....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.net View Post
unless your walls are made of steel reinforced concrete then a good old sledge hammer will go right through the wall next to the door in short order.
My thoughts exactly, it's amazing how vulnerable houses are unless they are concrete or brick. I am an ex contractor and demo on the exterior of a house (stucco or siding) was always the fastest part of the job (except the clean up) and for the most part could be done with hands and hand tools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paige For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 AM

No door is break proof. Most ordinary doors can be defeated in seconds with readily available tools.

The following comments are only theoretical; don't take this stuff to seriously.

Plasma torches are a good way to cut your way in. Acetylene torches are easily portable. Personally, against a heavy steel door, I would venture to use Primacord along the entire door frame, perhaps a breaching charge against an adjacent wall as a backup in case the Primacord doesn't work. To me, that would be the fastest way of defeating a reinforced door. Although it is not the most discreet way...

Most often, if a door is very menacing, the break-in artist will figure another way in (for example, roof entry is the most common way for professional criminals)
The Following User Says Thank You to TerragonSix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,550 Times in 952 Posts

a 12' thick steel pocket door should do it...

In all seriousness though; you need to decide what exactly you are trying to guard against. Anything can be defeated, the average person should be concerned with just buying time. My exterior doors are much heavier duty than my interior doors but my interior doors to rooms and such can all withstand a few kicks...and its going to take far more time for you to do that than it will for me to reach my gun, set up a barricade, and take care of things...

The door is not what usually fails, it is the frame (talking exterior doors). Reinforce your frame with 3" screws then put metal strike-plates where the lock and latch go into the frame....better yet replace it with an all metal frame. My exterior doors are solid pine and laminated with 1/4" steel. I use flat hinges so there are no visible hinges and there are three locking points on the doors so they are very secure just on their own. For added security I added the OnGuard door stop products to each exterior doors...its simply AMAZING. I have had two break-in attempts and one person used a sledge hammer...they were not able to get in. All interior doors are solid wood doors with reinforced hinge, frame, and strike plates. The bedroom doors have hinged latches and are auto locking...its all to buy time. I also added solid 1/2" pine board in between the studs of the bedrooms that have walls susceptible to being broken through...no sense in having a kick-proof door when you have a wall that someone can punch through. The exterior of our home is all brick and no windows on the front so we are lucky. The windows that we do have, have a glass laminate and, again, would require an axe and about 10 min. to get through. I don't intend to stop anyone completely...just give me and mine time to get ready.

beyond this; intrusion system, surveillance system, and various armaments all add to the total package.

So, are you asking how to make your own door or how to modify an existing door? If the latter; replace it with a solid core door, reinforce the jamb and invest in some GOOD locks. Add "kick-stop bar" and a cheap magnetic door alarm...that is probably as good as it gets without cashing out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM

I often thought of this project, but the fact that I can throw a rock threw my window made me rethink the idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *astid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM

I dealt with very smart and evil individuals while I worked for a government agency and one told me that with a handy man jack he could jack the frame apart wide enough for the door knob bolts to come out of the frame . food for thought. Criminals are smart and all u r gonna do is slow them down . Be on your toes at all times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goat-herder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat-herder View Post
I dealt with very smart and evil individuals while I worked for a government agency and one told me that with a handy man jack he could jack the frame apart wide enough for the door knob bolts to come out of the frame . food for thought. Criminals are smart and all u r gonna do is slow them down . Be on your toes at all times.

Thats easy to solve with a 1" stainless floor pin that drops in behind the door and another that comes down from the top. Full length piano hinge is also a better idea than three seperat hinges and will do a better job supporting the weight of the door
The Following User Says Thank You to Rdrasj For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Hiker

The Hell's Angels thought they had an unbreakable door in their clubhouse in Sherbrooke, Quebec. First time the police raided the place it took a D8 to knock it in. Yes it's a reinforced concrete bunker. They spent many, many $ replacing it with one that's supposedly a 1' thick steel pocket door opened hydraulically from within only by a club member or associate that's always left inside. They tested it with another D8 and it only left a small scratch. Still, if somebody has the time and motivation....
The Following User Says Thank You to DaleK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
I just finished building my BOL and i designed all the doors to be handicapped (36" wide) and they all open outward....They are steel industrial doors with steel reinforced frames.....
The problems with doors opening outward are many: 1. what if they want to keep you in (you want to be able to open the door). 2. hinges are exposed.
3. door can not be reinforced enough and cannot be too heavy. 4. As was mentioned by others, "they" can pull the door off the frame completely with enough force (large truck). Other problems also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,179 Posts

I would not use a hollow core door to start with.
I shortened one last week and the edge was sawdust with some glue is what it looked like. Much worst than particle board.
Most jams wouldn't hold up well.

Do what Joes did with an industrial door and jam with a dead bolt high and low.
It will still only be as strong as the wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM

Maybe he doesn't want you to come in Meat Guy. XD <Just kidding>
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Fit&Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
This^.... outward opening doors is key with a storm door to lock while you're home. There's plenty of ways to protect the hinges.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glock803 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,495 Times in 2,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
The problems with doors opening outward are many: 1. what if they want to keep you in (you want to be able to open the door). 2. hinges are exposed.
3. door can not be reinforced enough and cannot be too heavy. 4. As was mentioned by others, "they" can pull the door off the frame completely with enough force (large truck). Other problems also.

I appreciate your input....IF you were to see the door and the special details that went into it and the building you would appreciate it...
As far as a door that is so called "too heavy" visit a local bank and look at their vault door for the room to the safe deposit boxes....
The Following User Says Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Preparedness Enthusiast

In Calif it's actually illegal to have a "fortified" entry door! I know, I know...you're all really surprised by that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Iminocca For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Survivor

A standard residential steel or fiberglass entry door can provide a decent amount of protection if installed right. It wouldn't appear any different.

There are a few things that can be done to fortify them.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM
I love this forum

The Best Door setup you can get is to Buy all Commercial , A Wrap around Type door frame that is secured by being attached completely to the wall and not just screwed to The inside of The Jamb, that coupled with a solid steel Fire Door. It's very hard to get inside these doors after you attach Cross bars and a couple slide bolts. A Battering Ram will not get thru them. It's actually easier to crash thru the wall beside the door than the Door itself. You can call any Commercial door company and buy used or discontinued models very cheap sometimes.
http://cdfdistributors.com/cdf/commercial-steel-doors
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Guy View Post
A standard residential steel or fiberglass entry door can provide a decent amount of protection if installed right. It wouldn't appear any different.

There are a few things that can be done to fortify them.
Yes. If installed "right" they can provide up to 10 seconds delay (Ihave actually studied this). Now, 10 sec is better than 2 sec, but it is not security in my book.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
Yes. If installed "right" they can provide up to 10 seconds delay (Ihave actually studied this). Now, 10 sec is better than 2 sec, but it is not security in my book.
10 sec. is long enough to get gun in hand.
Most intruders will look for an easier place to enter if door isn't easily forced opened.

I was not encouraging the use of a residential door, I just meant that there are ways to install that will improve the security of the door.