Survivalist Forum banner
44K views 131 replies 111 participants last post by  PAPrep99 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What kind of bug out bag (BOB) are you using?

Backpack, dufflebag, or something else.

The one I use is my companies bullet resistant backpack (level IIIa).

The panel only adds 20 ounces additional weight.

My wife's has a smaller backpack and adds our stand alone panel (level IIIa) into it, making her backpack "bulletproof" (not the correct word, but easier to understand).

Of my 2 kids, one uses the smaller backpack we have and one uses a junior sized stand alone panel.

I also have 4 bullet resistant vests (executive level IIIa) in my duffle that I would throw in the BOV if we're leaving.

This may sound like SPAM, but;

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have a set of Kifaru backbacks, but they are kept on a Cabela's game cart along with 3 loaded 24-gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer totes.

Reactions: AK-47MASTER
#5 ·
I don't want anything camo. I also want quality. I finaly purchased my pack after reading about peoples on this site since I joined. I don't think anyone has one like this, but I love mine. It's big, but I'm glad it is. Top notch quality all the way and handmade.

Duluth Pack Monarch #4

http://www.duluthpack.com/product_detail.aspx?product=Monarchs

Edit: I'll post a review up soon when I get time.

#12 ·
Eberlestock "Barta Stalker" with their duffel bag as an addon, multipack, hydration unit, and a few small pouches as well.

#13 ·
I'm thinking I'm gonna go with a green Kelty Redwing 3100 for me and a green Kelty Redwing 2650 for the girlfriend. Not military grade, but they are durable. Have a couple of friends who swear by them for travel and hiking both. And I figure they won't stand out too much in a crowd. I'll just have to pick up some camo or OD rain covers for them so we can blend into the background a little more if necessary.

#17 ·
I have a Molle II but I am beginning to regret getting it because if I was wearing it in a crowd I would stick out like a sore thumb. I do live right next to a Marine base and there are a lot of active and prior Marines (including me) around so maybe it wouldn't be too shocking to see and make me a target. I am still not sure about it. I could supplement with a reg backpack or some duffel bags if I have to BO on foot.

#24 ·
I can't see a BOB being a sustainable option.

IMHO a BOL (Bug Out Location) is a far better option.

What I do have is a GMH - Get Me Home - pack. I currently use an ATS RAID pack in Coyote brown. Apart from the PALS ladders all over it, it could be a brown book bag. I also have a medium ALICE set up with a framesheet in place of the frame and painted with brown krylon. This one is a backup and spare for friends/relatives if required.

I'm due back in CONUS within a few weeks, so hopefully I'll beat the SHTF. If it hits while I'm here I'm toast and I'll need a BOB (Bug Out Boat) and a month or so to get home. If I was home, I'd have the GMH pack in the trunk at all times in current climate.

Charlieb - I don't think you're gonna find a suitable frame for that pack without some significant modifications. To fit an ALICE frame you'd need to sew a big sleeve and other mounting points to it. Maybe a Gen IV MOLLE frame would be better. A few mounting straps for the new MOLLE frame are easier to attach than a big ALICE frame sleeve.

Maybe there is a civvy alternative?

#25 ·
different definition

I think the BOB is a way to carry the essentials, weather you use it to get to your BOL, BOV or worse case scenario, you run like a crazy person into the woods. It just gives you a ready made way to carry stuff you won't have to scramble to take with you.

I would consider a "survival in the woods for weeks bag" different than my BOB. Maybe it's semantics, but I consider them separately.

#26 ·
I'm currently using a german army rucksack that I found in a yardsale for the BOB I keep in my car and a US army dufflebag for the one in my house, but I'm looking to upgrade. I like the idea of using a vest, so I'm actually working on designing one to make myself since I can't find one that has the pockets where I want them. That way I can keep all the small stuff on my person and use a backpack for larger items and/or extra water/rations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.