Basmati rice (going) up 11% at Costco - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Costco's 'Food for Health' Rice/beans? Allyson Food and water 9 03-23-2015 09:21 PM
Costco size bags of rice and beans storage question IYAPYSNF Food and water 14 09-05-2014 02:49 PM
25lbs bag of rice at Costco? ~$9 resolver Food and water 31 06-28-2014 05:13 AM
any difference in lts of long grain rice vs white rice? ogfarmer` Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 12-17-2012 09:09 PM
Brown Rice/White Rice rnman99 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-12-2012 09:25 PM
Sun Rice Heat and Serve Rice??? fragmall Australia and New Zealand 1 09-07-2009 05:31 AM
Basmati vs Brown. 2manygunz Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 06-07-2009 12:03 AM
Basmati rice VS. generic white rice BJJ_Grappler Food and water 13 12-28-2008 02:54 PM
Basmati Rice, Store it in its original bag? 2manygunz Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 04-23-2008 10:10 PM
Rice Rationing At Costco's Ramius Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 04-22-2008 04:18 PM

Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Knowledge Hoarder

Default Basmati rice (going) up 11% at Costco

Advertise Here

Yesterday, while at Costco I noticed that they just came out with Costco's own Kirkland brand Basmati rice packaged in (cheap) plastic bag.

While they still had some of the "old" Basmati rice available at $13.47 per 20lb the "new" Costco Basmati rice was $15.00 per 20lb.

So if your Costco still has the "cheap" version available, you may get a few extra bags ... unless you dont mind paying 11% more very soon.

Good Bye Royal Basmati ... you will be missed

Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BugOutBicycle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,074 Posts

Plain old white rice at Grocery Outlet: $5.49/10lbs.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Economist

Sams sells the Royal brand for 15, and sometimes 18 per 20lb bag. It's my preferred variety, as not all basmati rice is equal in quality.

India had a bad harvest in 2012, so I am surprised the price did not go up even higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Knowledge Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugOutBicycle View Post
Yesterday, while at Costco I noticed that they just came out with Costco's own Kirkland brand Basmati rice packaged in (cheap) plastic bag.

While they still had some of the "old" Basmati rice available at $13.47 per 20lb the "new" Costco Basmati rice was $15.00 per 20lb.

So if your Costco still has the "cheap" version available, you may get a few extra bags ... unless you dont mind paying 11% more very soon.

Good Bye Royal Basmati ... you will be missed

This was my old post from 2012. Well, I was naive. While the same rice was still available last fall for $13.95 the price jumped up to $20.95!

Thats about 50% price increase in less than a year!

I bought quite a bit back then, but now I'm regretting not buying extra 20 bags at $13.95.

My optimistic guess is $24.95 by Christmas ... my pessimistic guess is $29.95 by Christmas.

With all the crazy weather, droughts, wars and food shortage around the globe, we may be even lucky to get a bag like that for $50 next year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BugOutBicycle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

^ one reason to prep is saving money
Old 05-20-2014, 02:16 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 53,656 Times in 18,756 Posts

Definitely look for Asian and Latino markets in your area.

Their typical buyers will demand the absolute rock bottom price on rice. Those grocers know they cannot make a dime off the stuff if they hope to keep the locals buying other stuff there. It's kind of like gas stations making a nickel a gallon on gas and hoping you come in for a single soda and triple their profit margin.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Knowledge Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Definitely look for Asian and Latino markets in your area.

Their typical buyers will demand the absolute rock bottom price on rice. Those grocers know they cannot make a dime off the stuff if they hope to keep the locals buying other stuff there. It's kind of like gas stations making a nickel a gallon on gas and hoping you come in for a single soda and triple their profit margin.
This wasnt about "where do I find a cheap rice". This was about 50% inflation in less than a year. Sure I can buy a cheaper rice, but that does not mean that the very same "cheap" brand from the Asian/Latino market wont be 50% more expensive a year from today.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugOutBicycle View Post
This wasnt about "where do I find a cheap rice". This was about 50% inflation in less than a year. Sure I can buy a cheaper rice, but that does not mean that the very same "cheap" brand from the Asian/Latino market wont be 50% more expensive a year from today.
If your point was just about food inflation then I agree.

Though rice has been pretty stable in price in my area for years.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,861 Times in 10,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Pork View Post
Plain old white rice at Grocery Outlet: $5.49/10lbs.
"Plain old white rice" is like eating sheets of typing paper compared to basmati .
Were we in the middle of a major depression (or worse), I'd happily go with whatever was cheapest, but while things are still relatively normal, I highly recommend putting up at least a few pounds of basmati as personal stash
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
"Plain old white rice" is like eating sheets of typing paper compared to basmati .
Most US "plain rice" comes from the 3rd largest rice growing area of the world. Southeast Texas. It happens to be a basmati strain imported from India about a century ago. US long grain varieties are always from Indian basmati sourcing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 10:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,959 Times in 417 Posts

I'm kind of digging the Jasmine rice right now... they have 20lbs for $16 at a local greek market. Best price on jasmine rice that I know of.

How many pounds of rice do you guys typically keep on hand? I think I'm at around 100 lbs.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

FWIW, I bought a 20 lb. bag of Dougets, bagged in Beaumont, grown in that general area, for $5.99 today. I may go back and buy another in a few days.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Knowledge Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaengDa View Post
I'm kind of digging the Jasmine rice right now... they have 20lbs for $16 at a local greek market. Best price on jasmine rice that I know of.

How many pounds of rice do you guys typically keep on hand? I think I'm at around 100 lbs.
Costco has 50lb Jasmine rice for about $33.

... I dont think every Costco has it in stock though.
The Following User Says Thank You to BugOutBicycle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
FWIW, I bought a 20 lb. bag of Dougets, bagged in Beaumont, grown in that general area, for $5.99 today. I may go back and buy another in a few days.
Yep, typical SE Texas rice there. 33 cents a pound in bulk sounds about right too as our stores. From Corpus to NOLA it is best starch option. It and the coastal fish are why the Vietnamese relocated here in droves in the 70's.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,088 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
If your point was just about food inflation then I agree.

Though rice has been pretty stable in price in my area for years.
4-5 years ago it was insane- prices doubled almost overnight and wholesale suppliers were rationing rice- sams was out at times. I forget the cause it was outside the US, but kept a run on US rice.

A friend runs an asian resturant. I don't know the whole deal, but she called me to see how much rice I could pick up the next day for her. I ended up getting 20,000 lbs in 2 loads (1 ton plus gooseneck trailer)- 100 lbs sacks of cheap long grain, 50 lbs sacks of Botan "good" rice, and 1000 lbs of sushi grade rice for her family. She gave me a few hundred pounds of sushi grade rice as payment in addition to my fuel. The bitch was it was all unloaded into her house.

BTW, I can't tell the difference between TexMatti and Basmatti rice- same seed BTW, and it shouldn't be affected by indian crop failures unless resturants are subbing it for basmatti.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:52 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
4-5 years ago it was insane- prices doubled almost overnight and wholesale suppliers were rationing rice- sams was out at times. I forget the cause it was outside the US, but kept a run on US rice.

A friend runs an asian resturant. I don't know the whole deal, but she called me to see how much rice I could pick up the next day for her. I ended up getting 20,000 lbs in 2 loads (1 ton plus gooseneck trailer)- 100 lbs sacks of cheap long grain, 50 lbs sacks of Botan "good" rice, and 1000 lbs of sushi grade rice for her family. She gave me a few hundred pounds of sushi grade rice as payment in addition to my fuel. The bitch was it was all unloaded into her house.

BTW, I can't tell the difference between TexMatti and Basmatti rice- same seed BTW, and it shouldn't be affected by indian crop failures unless resturants are subbing it for basmatti.
I do remember that one scare back then. I was warned to stock up and I shifted away from rice for a while. Something likely happened in the other 2 big rice regions of the planet, India or the Mekong Delta, to ramp up the panic. The 3 areas make a lot of rice. Excess even for the planet's current needs. But if one shuts down that is a huge chunk out of the global rice supply.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:08 AM
25 Or 6 to 4

Thanked 18,382 Times in 4,717 Posts

What is the difference above background? You know price means nothing if your not measuring toxicity.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

I remember the rice 'shortage' a few years ago, and I remember here the city tv stations reporting on how the prices went up and it was hard to find on the shelves and it was also affecting Texas grown rice because other rices were in shortage, but I guess here in hill billy land no one heard about it because I kept buying rice at the same prices all along.

Decided to go back to the store and buy a few more bags of the Dougets long grain for me and my parents. Too cheap to pass up right now.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Knowledge Hoarder

"Rice is the staple food crop of the world population. The world population continues to grow steadily, while land and water resources are on the decline. Studies suggest that temperature increase, rising seas and changes in patterns of rainfall and its distribution under global climate changes might lead to substantial modifications in land and water resources for rice production as well as the productivity of rice crops grown in different parts of the world."
Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Prepared

The first post was October 2012 over 1.5 years ago...I was a Costco on Monday May 19, 2014 and bought some Brown rice.
I looked at the Basmati and it was expensive - I swear it was int the 20's or low $30 range.
I remember thinking that is some damn expensive rice.
I wish costco would sell the converted rice again.