Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
camping trip shawn Events, Connections and Get togethers 12 02-02-2014 09:44 AM
Upcoming Fishing Trip Survival Scenario gwynn1975 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 24 02-19-2012 10:42 AM
Looking for advice on upcoming trip kjackson Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 24 12-05-2011 10:01 PM
Camping trip Beachbummer Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 08-07-2010 12:10 PM
Camping trip over the 4th Beachbummer Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 06-21-2010 07:54 PM
Camping trip thesuperscotts Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 03-23-2010 07:44 PM
Upcoming Camping Trip SPY-1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 02-26-2009 08:23 PM
Upcoming Camping Trip SPY-1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 12-18-2008 01:19 AM
Upcoming Camping Trip SPY-1 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 12-17-2008 08:02 PM
Camping trip AncientBrit Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 32 05-20-2008 07:53 PM

Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Roof Top Cargo Carrier for upcoming camping trip

Advertise Here

A bunch of us are planning a camping trip and are trying not to take more than one vehicle. However, we have more gear than the trunk will hold. A such, I am considering buying a Roof Top Cargo Carrier ( i have been wanting one anyway for our trips during the holidays). Anyone have any recommendations? I have been looking at theThule Atlantis Rooftop Cargo Carriers. They are expensive but I like the long slim design. I ran across a post on the site a long time ago when I was looking for something else but can't seem to find it now. I want to keep the cost of the carrier under $450 or so. I have an SUV and most seem to be universal.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Prepared

Stick with Thule. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Be Prepared

think about a hitch carrier as well. it just goes into your receiver on the back of your vehicle and holds a lot and can easily be accessible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM

I found mine on craigslist for $50. Take a look around.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,047 Posts

Dont it will KILL your gas mileage
Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM

I have a basket and it works great. It’s flexible in terms of loading (a pod would not fit my kids trikes) and it was less than $100. I cover it with a tarp and bungee cords and it keeps my stuff fairly dry.

P.S. and I live in Western Washington so its wet here most of the time
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 AM
CTP

Thanked 1,339 Times in 699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiveraRa View Post
I found mine on craigslist for $50. Take a look around.
This^^. Look on craigslist. Usually they have good deals.

And are people really worried about gas milage on a single road trip? That extra $5 bucks in fuel because of the carrier is going to break the bank
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 AM

You might want to check out Pep Boys as they sell different models of the Thule cargo boxes that don't have a glossy finish for a lot less that the glossy finish models.
The Following User Says Thank You to dms1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blzn View Post
This^^. Look on craigslist. Usually they have good deals.

And are people really worried about gas milage on a single road trip? That extra $5 bucks in fuel because of the carrier is going to break the bank
Thanks. I agree on the gas mileage. Without the carrier we will have to take two SUVs.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearshrimp View Post
I have a basket and it works great. Itís flexible in terms of loading (a pod would not fit my kids trikes) and it was less than $100. I cover it with a tarp and bungee cords and it keeps my stuff fairly dry.

P.S. and I live in Western Washington so its wet here most of the time
What do you put your stuff in? Storage containers? We have several backpaks and some smaller odd shaped things we would like to carry with us.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaswhale View Post
What do you put your stuff in? Storage containers? We have several backpaks and some smaller odd shaped things we would like to carry with us.
Rubbermaid tubs, never had one leak or open yet. Besides that they are of uniform size so they fit perfectly in our basket. The down side is you may kinda look like a survivalist with the roof basket on your car

Oh, the one down side is that you can't really secure the stuff in the basket once you are stationary, i.e. most pods lock. I don’t leave my roof rack loaded overnight and even if I did it’s kind of hard for most folks to take the gear down without a ladder (I am 6’10”). If you are in a dicey area and need lockable storage a roof basket probably is not ideal.

P.S. during my last family vacation average mileage for the week went from 18.1 mpg without the loaded basket to 16.8 mpg with the loaded basket so I didn’t see a huge loss in fuel economy. That being said I mostly used state highways (50mph) rather than high speed interstates (75mph).
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearshrimp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearshrimp View Post
Rubbermaid tubs, never had one leak or open yet. Besides that they are of uniform size so they fit perfectly in our basket. The down side is you may kinda look like a survivalist with the roof basket on your car

Oh, the one down side is that you can't really secure the stuff in the basket once you are stationary, i.e. most pods lock. I donít leave my roof rack loaded overnight and even if I did itís kind of hard for most folks to take the gear down without a ladder (I am 6í10Ē). If you are in a dicey area and need lockable storage a roof basket probably is not ideal.

P.S. during my last family vacation average mileage for the week went from 18.1 mpg without the loaded basket to 16.8 mpg with the loaded basket so I didnít see a huge loss in fuel economy. That being said I mostly used state highways (50mph) rather than high speed interstates (75mph).
Thanks for the info. We are heading out into the woods so for this trip locks are not necessary. However, one of my buddys who is traveling with me made a good point that we can add our rods to the long skinny ones.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 PM

If your car has roof racks with crossbars use a hard-cased golf travel bag. Secure with a ratchet tie-down. Not as stylish as a Thule/Yakima but a lot cheaper and somewhat more aerodynamic/weatherproof than a plastic tote/basket.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Oregon Survivalist

Thanked 1,450 Times in 781 Posts

I tried using a rubbermaid tote, filled with sleeping gear and a tent on the roof of the trailer, although the lid latched shut using two ratcheting tie downs warped the tote's shape and lid started to works its way off..... I made it about 12 miles at highway speeds before losing my t load, the multitude of folks that stopped to help were a godsend, not something I'd expect in a real BOL, the time delay hikng down the highway
may not have possible during a real evacuation, all but 1 sleeping bag was recovered, whoever had it would have had to driven by me on foot and my family down the road; I would agree with 'marauder, get a thule. good luck!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Prepared

I just picked one up for 20$
Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,490 Times in 899 Posts

Sears sells a decent model for less cash.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Target Shooter

ARB roof rack.
You can mount it to the next SUV due to its versatility. It will hold up 150kg if your roof can handle that.
Wind noise is neglectable- I use an air deflector for milage. Best thing since inventing the trailer.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,811 Times in 463 Posts

We have had a Sear's Escargo roof top carrier for many years. Yes, they are big and bulky and not streamlined like the Thule roof top carriers, but man, can you stash a lot of stuff inside there!

I also agree that using a Hitch-Hauler (receiver hitch basket) that can hold another 500 pounds of gear is well worth it to save precious inside space.

One tip to offer, consider packing your items inside an empty cooler. The cooler is not going to leak or allow rain or dust from the road to get inside and it is tough. You could even pack a couple of coolers and rachet strap them to the roof if you don't want to buy a roof top carrier.

Whatever you do, make sure it is well secured to your vehicle and that the lid of the container is also well secured. I have seen vehicles driving down the highway with the lid blowing up in the wind. That would really add a heavier burden to your gas mileage and could also cause you to lose items from inside or have them ruined (until laundered) from rain or dirt getting to them.

Walmart also sells a soft sided roof top carrier. Look in the Automotive / RV area. These allow you to pack your stuff in there and cinch it down to only take up as much room as you actually need. I've never used one, but they look like they might be another option for what you are trying to do.

Have fun on your journey!

Medic73
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,732 Posts

I use mine all the time for longer trips and its a long skinny version.
When the wind starts whipping into the unit you'll be glad everythings enclosed and not flapping around.