Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two new products from Vestergaard (LifeStraw) gstereo Food and water 1 04-02-2015 10:45 PM
LifeStraw Shelf life? 123456 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 10-16-2014 11:58 PM
Lifestraw arrowbreaker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 08-28-2014 06:50 PM
Lifestraw: Thoughts, opinions? TrentPD Reviews and questions 5 01-13-2014 08:01 PM
LifeStraw Family Bugoutbagsam Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 10-11-2013 12:57 PM
Lifestraw Nomad, 2nd Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 09-15-2013 08:27 AM
The LifeStraw .30-06 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 49 06-22-2013 08:12 PM
LifeStraw available here Rickyoz For Sale 0 04-23-2012 05:46 PM

Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Default LifeStraw

Advertise Here

Anyone have experience with the LifeStraw or feedback on it?

$24.95 on eBay, shipped.

From Wikipedia;

"LifeStraw is a water filter designed to be used by one person to filter water so that they may safely drink it. It filters a maximum of 1000 litres of water, enough for one person for one year. It removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9% of parasites[1]. The LifeStraw Family, a larger unit designed for family use, also filters out 99.99% of viruses."

Cheers,

Exercitus
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Trapper

i dont have experience with those but ill probably buy one of those for the other bobs i have for the fam. i believe they work cause they were pronounce greatest idea of 2005 and they ship em all over the world to less fortunate countries with bad water sources. if your on a budget, thats def the way to go.

although people on here have mentioned sawyer filters. way more expensive but can handle bigger loads of water and it goes down to .1 micron whereas the lifestraw goes down to .2 micron....not a big difference considering ill be boiling my water afterwards anyways

youtube has a lot of reviews on just about any product you can think of. check em out.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 20,352 Times in 7,757 Posts

Better than nothing. It doesn't do squat for chemical contamination but you will not get sick from bugs.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 30,565 Times in 8,849 Posts

I've been trying to decide on a couple of those myself. I can't afford the bigger ones so i've been doing quite a bit of research. From what I understand is they filter out most of the bacteria and viruses but not so great as in if a nuclear disaster. But what the heck, they're better than nothing. I think I just made up my mind up. Duh.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,411 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txplowgirl View Post
I've been trying to decide on a couple of those myself. I can't afford the bigger ones so i've been doing quite a bit of research. From what I understand is they filter out most of the bacteria and viruses but not so great as in if a nuclear disaster. But what the heck, they're better than nothing. I think I just made up my mind up. Duh.
In a nuclear disaster, most filtration units will be fine. Water does not become radioactive but it is the particulates and impurities that can become radioactive. So a good filter can handle that. The problem is that the filter itself becomes radioactive because of the particles it filtered.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 10,482 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
In a nuclear disaster, most filtration units will be fine. Water does not become radioactive but it is the particulates and impurities that can become radioactive. So a good filter can handle that. The problem is that the filter itself becomes radioactive because of the particles it filtered.
In the wild, whether after a nuke incident or not, always pre-filter through a tightly woven cloth or a coffee filter.

A great item to add to your BOB is a ziplock full of coffee filters.

A cloth diaper works well, or a bandana.

In a nuke situation that keeps at least most of the radioactive particles out of your filter.

In non-nuke it makes your fitler last longer.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 10,482 Times in 3,420 Posts

Biggest drawback of the Life Straw is it is only good for 264 gallons of water.

The Sawyer Squeeze or Sawyer .01 is good for a million.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 30,565 Times in 8,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
The problem is that the filter itself becomes radioactive because of the particles it filtered.
This was what was keeping me from getting the straw but I have finally reconciled my mind to that I may never have to worry about nuclear fallout and there's a whole bigger chance that water will be contaminated by other problems. Duh, I wasn't seeing the forest for the trees as the old saying goes.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM

I bought 1 for every family member for 19.99/each at budsgunshop.com
The Following User Says Thank You to kyguy59 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Trapper

you can always bury a spare water filter underground inside a lead box and recover it if need be. kinda crazy though. not even sure how deep it would have to go
Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 AM
King of Nido

Thanked 2,095 Times in 944 Posts

Its worth the 20 bucks, and works even better if you pre filter the water through a bandana into a cup or can, and drink through the straw from that. The water tastes fine, and it does a good job with stream and lake water. I used mine as a primary on over nights, and in a bug out type of situation you can just drink n go.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Shoot the moon!!

What happens after filtering 264 gallons of water? Is it possible to clean it or do you have to throw it away?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
SEMPER FI

I bought two of these for our packs. Never used them before but they had great reviews. SO should I feel 99.9999% comfortable drinking out of any dirty water source. Just looking for more user feedback. Any place I should NOT use this? thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Bush Walker

Thanked 5,076 Times in 1,882 Posts

after the 264 gal you toss it in the garbage - nope

id rather my Sawyer Squeeze be with me - even if you rip the pouches the unit filter attaches to all soda/water bottles and you can use those as water collection containers

nothin beats the Sawyer Squeeze