Is a Mossberg 590 worth it? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mossberg 590 survivor24490 Shotgun Forum 6 04-25-2015 11:52 AM
1 year later - is the Mossberg MVP Scout in .308 worth the $? BUSHER Rifle Forum 15 04-07-2015 07:28 PM
New Mossberg 500 ksig162 Shotgun Forum 52 06-23-2014 08:21 PM
New mossberg pworm Shotgun Forum 7 10-05-2013 04:02 PM
Difference between a Mossberg & Blackwater Mossberg? HeavyTakeMusic Firearms General Discussion 30 07-26-2013 02:29 AM
Mossberg 930 spx mattburn Shotgun Forum 10 07-06-2012 10:19 PM
Mossberg 500 JIC 12 ga. fleabert Shotgun Forum 26 10-28-2011 12:12 AM
mossberg 100 ATR kmunch Rifle Forum 7 11-14-2009 11:16 PM
mossberg 500 whiteskunk Shotgun Forum 3 04-12-2009 08:47 AM
Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or Mossberg 590 kev Shotgun Forum 16 11-06-2008 02:30 PM

Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I love this forum

Default Is a Mossberg 590 worth it?

Advertise Here

I currently have a Mossberg 500 Persuader model, which I got used for $250 several years ago. It has a tritium front sight and heatshield added. It was like new and I think a great deal.

I'm looking at getting something additional (before Obummer realizes he has unlimited power to control us) and was considering a used Mossberg 590 someone has a classified ad for. They are asking $350 for it. It has an added 6 shell sidesaddle on it.

What gets me is that the only difference I can see between my Persuader and the 590 is one more round of capacity, and some cosmetic differences. I thought I heard the 590 also had a metal trigger guard and safey, but I guess that's only on a more advanced version of the 590. The one in the ad is plastic, like on my Persuader.

The current retail price on the 590 is $87 more than the Persuader, which has me puzzled. Does someone here have one? Is it that much better than the Persuader that I should pay $100 more for it than I did my Persuader?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 AM

Do some more research on the 590 before you buy.
There is a 590 and a 590a1.
590 is a lighter barrel, plastic trigger assy,and plastic safety button.
590 a1 has heavy barrel,metal trigger assy,metal safety.
There are many barrel,stock and sight options now from mossy.
Not saying either is better just know what the difference is.
Both are sweet guns and the one your looking at seems like a decent deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to dieseldude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Target Shooter

If its a 590a1 yes its worth well over 100 more , the 590a1 has a steel receiver, the standard 590 is aluminum just like your 500, so if its not a 590a1, save some coin and buy a dressed up to your liking 500 or the 590 .
go to CTD and Budsgunshop.com and check prices on 590's and 500's
500's are normaly alittle cheaper to buy then even a regular 590, and you can buy the 8 shot 500's at a fair price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM

Pretty sure the M590A1 also has an aluminum receiver unless they recently changed that. Yes it's worth the money! It's a true military quality shotgun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneticgamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Trapper

I will not debate this, but my two cents says I have found tooooo many mossberg thumb safetys on patrol car floors (not at my current department, we do not use them) they all fall off in rugged use.

For pennies more or sometimes less you can own a real Remington 870, so why bother with the mossberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homelandsecurityham For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM

You must not get 590A1's then. They are built for all out war...and are the ONLY shotgun to pass military testing.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 19,291 Times in 6,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticgamer View Post
You must not get 590A1's then. They are built for all out war...and are the ONLY shotgun to pass military testing.
Not this again.....

This is what I have read:

First off, there are really only TWO choices.........Remington and Mossberg.

The test was a pass/fail type test. Remington never even submitted the 870 not because they thought the the 870 would "lose" to the 590 (which it certainly would not have....they are both capable of passing such tests), it was because they knew they would lose the contract AFTER passing the test due to Mossberg being the CHEAPER shotgun. We all know the military rolls with the lowest bidder.

There was no reason to even enter the "test" to begin with. Not to mention they weren't losing any money.....they already supply tons of firearms to military and LE for generations.

It's like claiming you're the winner of the race when you were the only one running....

Now I'm not saying because the Mossberg is cheaper with cheaper, less quality parts that it's a bad shotgun. Not at all. It's a great choice. Plan on getting myself a 590A1 in the future. But I would still choose my Remington 870 over the Mossberg for several reasons:

1. Steel receiver
2. I actually don't like the location of the Mossberg safety
3. Longer track/war record
4. The 870 is so easy to field strip, clean, and reassemble....the Mossberg 590 can be a real PITA

But both shotguns are built to take you to hell and back if need be. Really personal choice. And the 590 does have "looser tolerances" than the 870 which can aid with reliability. But I have yet to have ZERO reliability issues with several 870's over the years and in the hands of family going back farther.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilblackgunsrfun View Post
If its a 590a1 yes its worth well over 100 more , the 590a1 has a steel receiver, the standard 590 is aluminum just like your 500, so if its not a 590a1, save some coin and buy a dressed up to your liking 500 or the 590 .
go to CTD and Budsgunshop.com and check prices on 590's and 500's
500's are normaly alittle cheaper to buy then even a regular 590, and you can buy the 8 shot 500's at a fair price.
Thank you everyone for your input! Yes, the one advertised is not the A1 version. I guess I'll pass this one up for now.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 AM

500,590,590A1= aluminum receiver and they seem to last forever.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:17 AM
All bark, no bite

Thanked 1,175 Times in 472 Posts

I must have a real good magnet. It sticks to my 590A1 reciever and all other metal parts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,732 Times in 830 Posts

frugal, I wouldn't pass it up $350 for an A1 is a great price. My father has a 870 and I have the 500 and the 590a1. I have experience with both. His has started to rust a little.

The 590a1 is a big upgrade. 9 rounds. I have the stock that hold an additional 4. The controls of the 590 is just like your 500, so if you don't like where the slide release and safety are you won't like it on a 590. When you pick up a 590a1 the first thing you will say to yourself is that its a firearm built to last a lifetime.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boldimagery For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRecluse View Post
Not this again.....

The test was a pass/fail type test. Remington never even submitted the 870 not because they thought the the 870 would "lose" to the 590 (which it certainly would not have....they are both capable of passing such tests), it was because they knew they would lose the contract AFTER passing the test due to Mossberg being the CHEAPER shotgun. We all know the military rolls with the lowest bidder.

There was no reason to even enter the "test" to begin with. Not to mention they weren't losing any money.....they already supply tons of firearms to military and LE for generations.

It's like claiming you're the winner of the race when you were the only one running....:rolleyes:

Now I'm not saying because the Mossberg is cheaper with cheaper, less quality parts that it's a bad shotgun. Not at all. It's a great choice. Plan on getting myself a 590A1 in the future. But I would still choose my Remington 870 over the Mossberg for several reasons:

1. Steel receiver
4. The 870 is so easy to field strip, clean, and reassemble....the Mossberg 590 can be a real PITA

But both shotguns are built to take you to hell and back if need be. Really personal choice. And the 590 does have "looser tolerances" than the 870 which can aid with reliability. But I have yet to have ZERO reliability issues with several 870's over the years and in the hands of family going back farther.
It's also like claiming you're sitting in the bleachers watching a race bragging to your friends about "how I could have won if I wanted to, but I didn't want to, so I didn't...".
Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,738 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRecluse View Post
Not this again.....

Got a source for this? As far as I'm concerned, Remington's equivalent is cheaper even by civilian standards. I'm assuming not, because I have yet to find a source that confirms Mossberg was the only contender in the ''competition''.

It's like claiming you're the winner of the race when you were the only one running....

Now I'm not saying because the Mossberg is cheaper with cheaper, less quality parts that it's a bad shotgun.

lol Hold on right there... Cheaper quality parts? Please, go on...

Not at all. It's a great choice. Plan on getting myself a 590A1 in the future. But I would still choose my Remington 870 over the Mossberg for several reasons:

1. Steel receiver (Heavier than aluminum alloy... Which Banelli uses btw)
4. The 870 is so easy to field strip, clean, and reassemble....the Mossberg 590 can be a real PITA (Unscrew mag tube cap with fingers, pull barrel off. Use metal/wooden dowel, stick, belt loop finger, etc to remove two pins in receiver, slide out complete FCG if you really even care to clean it every 10,000 rounds or so).

Mountain, I'm ashamed I usually agree 100% with your posts.

Truth of the matter is neither shotgun is above or below the other... Feel of the action, and ergonomics should be your deciding factor.

I have both shotguns, but for my ''tactical'' purchase I chose the A1 for; Safety location (which I almost never use... It's a pump shotgun), action release location, rear ghost ring has two thick ears protecting it (Rem's rear ghost ring has no protection, one drop on it's head and that thing is toast), and feel of the action. Smooth and crisp right out of the box!

If OP's offer is for an A1, I wouldn't hesitate to get it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Boost Addicted For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
Mountain, I'm ashamed I usually agree 100% with your posts.

Truth of the matter is neither shotgun is above or below the other... Feel of the action, and ergonomics should be your deciding factor.

I have both shotguns, but for my ''tactical'' purchase I chose the A1 for; Safety location (which I almost never use... It's a pump shotgun), action release location, rear ghost ring has two thick ears protecting it (Rem's rear ghost ring has no protection, one drop on it's head and that thing is toast), and feel of the action. Smooth and crisp right out of the box!

If OP's offer is for an A1, I wouldn't hesitate to get it!
Did you miss the part where I said I plan on getting an A1?

I just don't like the Mossberg safety. Sorry to dissappoint...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue One View Post
It's also like claiming you're sitting in the bleachers watching a race bragging to your friends about "how I could have won if I wanted to, but I didn't want to, so I didn't...".
Not really. Remington never said anything. That was my commentary.

When you know you have the more expensive gun and not going to budge on price......it's called strategery....

It costs some good coin going into these military trials. If you know ahead of time the deciding factor will be cost.....what's the point?

What's really sad is that Mossberg advertises that like they were up against all these other shotguns when they weren't....

The comment is technically true since they WERE the ONLY ones to pass the test.......but they were the only ones who participated.....

See how advertising and propaganda works?

REGARDLESS.....

I believe the 590A1 is a solid shotgun and plan getting one myself. So OP, get the 590! Great choice!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Target Shooter

Mossberg makes shotguns for anything they can make money on, like this zombie crap going on. I mean really who would buy a shotgun with zombie written on it? There's a reason Remington doesn't do this. We make shotguns for men, not kids. I own a mossberg and I pick it up and pick up one of my Remington's and you can feel the quality in the Remington. Spend the extra 40$ and buy a piece of history.....
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Mossberg makes shotguns for anything they can make money on, like this zombie crap going on. I mean really who would buy a shotgun with zombie written on it? There's a reason Remington doesn't do this. We make shotguns for men, not kids. I own a mossberg and I pick it up and pick up one of my Remington's and you can feel the quality in the Remington. Spend the extra 40$ and buy a piece of history.....
So by that logic, Hornady manufactures ****ty ammunition?

Pure ignorance.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
So by that logic, Hornady manufactures ****ty ammunition?

Pure ignorance.

No not at all,......your just a fool if your buying zombie ammo.......
I was just giving a example anyway. Another example is all 100 different "tactical" models mossberg has, for ppl like you who buy them. They just know how to suck you people in. A very few of us realize a 12 ga is the same no matter what. Better hurry zombies are coming.......better go get the new mossberg zombie shotgun at $459 and some hornady "zombie" ammo. I'll just grab another 870 express for $350 and regular buckshot. Let me no if you get farther with ur zombie equipment, but hurry there coming.......
Old 07-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
No not at all,......your just a fool if your buying zombie ammo.......
I was just giving a example anyway. Another example is all 100 different "tactical" models mossberg has, for ppl like you who buy them. They just know how to suck you people in. A very few of us realize a 12 ga is the same no matter what. Better hurry zombies are coming.......better go get the new mossberg zombie shotgun at $459 and some hornady "zombie" ammo. I'll just grab another 870 express for $350 and regular buckshot. Let me no if you get farther with ur zombie equipment, but hurry there coming.......
I seemed to have lost you somewhere in my last post...

You're saying that none of Mossbergs products are good because they manufacture a few products geared towards zombies, etc.

I'm comparing your ignorant statement to Hornady, saying (sarcastically) that all of their ammunition must suck, because they produce a ''zombie'' line.

The point was to show you how stupid your statement was, but you failed to see that.

Now, onto your latest ignorant statement, ''a 12 gauge is a 12 gauge''. Yes, technically the round is the same. The platforms are not.

I didn't get sucked into some ''zombie'' label... I got sucked into a heavy barrel 12 gauge, featuring more metal components than the norm for durability, a longer barrel for better tighter shot pattern, and ghost ring sights for slug accuracy (man sized grouping out to 200 yards).

You purchase toys, I purchase tools.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Target Shooter

More metal? Lol it's not even a solid steel receiver in a mossy.
Ok enough said, I'm over it.