Semi-Auto Rifle For The Alaskan Wilderness. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Semi-auto rifle...Anyone tried these? Grant S Firearms General Discussion 27 10-25-2015 05:39 AM
Can I own a Semi-Auto Rifle at 17? Visigoth95 Rifle Forum 14 11-15-2012 11:13 PM
New semi-auto rifle Kasrkin76 Firearms General Discussion 4 09-25-2012 11:06 AM
Need a semi-auto rifle.... Georgian Military Weapons Forum 22 03-05-2012 03:12 PM
reliable semi-auto rifle ABL Rifle Forum 28 02-22-2012 05:35 PM
RMR-30 (Kel-Tec .22 WMR semi-auto Rifle in the works!) Spitfire Rifle Forum 15 10-26-2010 10:50 PM
Help with buying semi auto rifle BlightedJosh Rifle Forum 49 10-05-2009 08:16 PM
My First Semi-Auto Rifle Jjright Firearms General Discussion 14 04-15-2009 10:24 AM
My First Semi-Auto Rifle Jjright Rifle Forum 25 02-02-2009 11:31 PM
I am buying a semi-auto rifle Josiah922 Firearms General Discussion 31 04-21-2008 01:59 AM

Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Question Semi-Auto Rifle For The Alaskan Wilderness.

Advertise Here

----
---
--
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishRifles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Target Shooter

BCM complete lower
BCM BCG
RRA .458 SOCOM upper
Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Target Shooter

That is correct
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 PM
With all due respect....

Thanked 5,060 Times in 1,298 Posts

I would say an M-1 Garand, or an M-1A.
Personally I would want the Garand... especially if you were in bear country like in Alaska.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,449 Times in 4,139 Posts

Browning BAR SAFARI w/BOSS in 7mm Rem mag, .300 Win mag or .338 Win mag.

You could also try the Browning BLR lever action is chamberings like .358 Win, .450 Marlin, .300 or .325 WSM
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Prepared

1. Bolt action 30-06, or .308
2. Marlin Guide Gun with proper ammo
3. .44 Rem mag revolver
Why a semi auto? Hunting or just because?
If you must, a Browning BAR.
A pistol is the only thing you can and or will pack with you all the time.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Target Shooter

Depends what you need it for.

Hunting? Predator defense?

Why just a semi? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Consider also.

1. 12G pump action.

2. Marlin Guide Gun 45/70.

3. Ruger Gunsite .308.

Also, as you are in the US the .44 revolver is an excellent option as you can legally carry a hand gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to dropshot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Eh kay vs eh are dood!

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,644 Posts

A .308 Saiga. Legendary AK reliability with a proven round.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Target Shooter

Don't trust a bolt action? Generally speaking they're more dependable/reliable than semi-autos. But to answer your question, everyone is going to have their own opinion. The people that say to get something in 308, 30-06, are pretty much right on. Get something around that caliber and you'll be fine. They're both plenty powerful if you're concern is a bear or angry moose.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AK4orty7even For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Prepared

Don't trust bolt action rifles? 1911 in a flap holster? Excellent Alaskan field gun!
Sounds like he's got it all figured out.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Donner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 AM

IMO, no semi auto is appropriate for Alaska. Never been there, however I take the position because semi autos are frowned on in locations where dangerous game threaten your life. Extreme temps are notorious for affecting RELIABLE functioning of semi autos.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,100 Times in 4,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
Don't trust bolt action rifles. 1911 in a flap holster, excellent Alaskan field gun.
1911 won't even run on the square range. .45ACP worthless for dangerous Alaskan animals, and most other things requiring penetration on anything but ballistic gel. I have had them fail to through/through a computer case before in FMJ variant.

Bolt action is very trustworthy, but fast follow-ups take more training/skill/longer anyway.

I know a guy via the 'net and some business dealing who is a police (wildlife?) officer in Alaska. They use Brenneke slugs out of an 870. He also owns an M4S90 as his personal weapon. Recently, he switched to a SCAR in .308 due to some of the issues he claims they were having with the Brenneke's penetrating on 1200#+ brown bears from oblique angles. He has yet to use it, though, so the jury is still out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,449 Times in 4,139 Posts

I don't believe you're a hunter or that knowledgeable about the "Bush" and guns in particular.

Remember one thing though, you can't use 10, 15, 20, 30 or 40 round magazines except at the target range...You're limited to five (5) rounds maximum in a semi auto HP rifle out in the bush...So, unless you get hunting mags for whatever rifle you're going to get going out into the bush with anything else will get you arrested, fined and your firearm(s) confiscated.

Why I suggested the Browning BAR or the BLR...Remington and Winchester also make one but they're only available to .30/06...Benelli makes an excellent semi to .338 Win mag and the other European models by J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Merkel or Krieghoff are chambered up to 9mm and those would be very suitable but very expensive.

Don't trust bolts? A semi/full auto gun would freeze up far faster then any bolt action did during the sieges of Leningrad and Stalingrad...For the Axis forces, because of the oil used for their guns, everything froze--pistols, rifles, machine guns etc...Hell, the vehicle motors would freeze shut...Do you know what the components of the Russian lubricant was? Axle grease cut with Naphtha gas or diesel fuel...Now, had you said that you prefer semi autos to bolts I could in part agree with you but just not trust.

The Russian guns were stripped of all oil and due to their loose tolerances of the mechanisms work well in the cold...I lived in the High Arctic and our hunting where I live now is done in temps done to -30 F and I've never had a gun freeze up on me in fifty five years of shooting...You do not go out with any liquid in or on your gun...That said, there are some synthetic lubricants that were made for the US military that will take Alaskan winters but I've never used any.

The semi auto pistol is not a big bear stopper due to the calibres available...Well, maybe in 10mm but I'd still take any revolver in a minimum of .41 Rem mag as my carry gun...I consider the .357 just a little too weak in standard factory ammo--reloads is another matter.

IIRC the most common calibre for a stopper rifle in Alaska's bear country is the .45/70 Gov followed by the .375 mag and the minimum that's I've always suggested is .338 mag/8mm--I really like my .340 Weatherby.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,165 Times in 3,373 Posts

Another vote for a non-semi. Simply b/c autoloaders are not available in calibers sufficient for Alaska's dangerous game. More folks are killed by moose than bear. Think .30-06 minimum. Personally I would go with the .45-70 for heavy bullet up close work. Also, a lever action is completely appropriate to carry around.

Sidearm should be a .357 or larger. The 12ga is commonly found on folks backs up there, but usually loaded with slugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
I don't believe you're a hunter or that knowledgeable about the "Bush" and guns in particular.

Remember one thing though, you can't use 10, 15, 20, 30 or 40 round magazines except at the target range...You're limited to five (5) rounds maximum in a semi auto HP rifle out in the bush...So, unless you get hunting mags for whatever rifle you're going to get going out into the bush with anything else will get you arrested, fined and your firearm(s) confiscated.

Why I suggested the Browning BAR or the BLR...Remington and Winchester also make one but they're only available to .30/06...Benelli makes an excellent semi to .338 Win mag and the other European models by J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Merkel or Krieghoff are chambered up to 9mm and those would be very suitable but very expensive.

Don't trust bolts? A semi/full auto gun would freeze up far faster then any bolt action did during the sieges of Leningrad and Stalingrad...For the Axis forces, because of the oil used for their guns, everything froze--pistols, rifles, machine guns etc...Hell, the vehicle motors would freeze shut...Do you know what the components of the Russian lubricant was? Axle grease cut with Naphtha gas or diesel fuel...Now, had you said that you prefer semi autos to bolts I could in part agree with you but just not trust.

The Russian guns were stripped of all oil and due to their loose tolerances of the mechanisms work well in the cold...I lived in the High Arctic and our hunting where I live now is done in temps done to -30 F and I've never had a gun freeze up on me in fifty five years of shooting...You do not go out with any liquid in or on your gun...That said, there are some synthetic lubricants that were made for the US military that will take Alaskan winters but I've never used any.

The semi auto pistol is not a big bear stopper due to the calibres available...Well, maybe in 10mm but I'd still take any revolver in a minimum of .41 Rem mag as my carry gun...I consider the .357 just a little too weak in standard factory ammo--reloads is another matter.

IIRC the most common calibre for a stopper rifle in Alaska's bear country is the .45/70 Gov followed by the .375 mag and the minimum that's I've always suggested is .338 mag/8mm--I really like my .340 Weatherby.
I think maybe OP is more worried about defense than hunting? I may have interpreted wrong, though.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Another vote for a non-semi. Simply b/c autoloaders are not available in calibers sufficient for Alaska's dangerous game. More folks are killed by moose than bear. Think .30-06 minimum. Personally I would go with the .45-70 for heavy bullet up close work. Also, a lever action is completely appropriate to carry around.

Sidearm should be a .357 or larger. The 12ga is commonly found on folks backs up there, but usually loaded with slugs.
Someone is going to load up with Remington Sluggers and 125gr JHP's and feel safe.

You need something SOLID, like a Brenneke, or the new Federal DPRS slugs, not the soft regular Fosters that fragment and usually penetrate 10-15" in bare gel or deer or whatever.

If you are bent on a .357 MAGNUM, (or any handgun), check out something hard cast from buffalo bore. Same for that .45-70.

There are a LOT of good suggestions in this thread, but they are just as worthless as that 1911 if you don't fill them with ammunition suited to the purpose, and yours is unique to big/dangerous game.

-Jeffrey, the guy I know is using a .308 for brown-bear. He has not downed one (or fired at one) yet, as this is a recent change from his 870/Brenneke Black Magic combo. I have not asked what ammunition he is using, and will do so. Do you have experience with .308 and brown bear, or can you speak intelligently on the matter? I cannot, except parrot what I have heard this individual speak, and what I have managed to glean from other people who have "BTDT". His choice of .308 seemed odd to me, so I am asking, odd to you, too?

I will ask what ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Prepared

I live in Alaska... I carry a Glock 20 chambered in 10mm, loaded with Doubletap 200 gr bullets. (for bear backup)

I also carry a Remington 870 HD loaded with Brennake slugs. (for bear protection)

If you are coming in October, the bears will already be going into hybernation, so if that is what you are concerned about, then don't be!

Also, someone else suggested that you can't use hi capacity magazines for hunting in Alaska... there is no such law... we can even use suppressors to hunt with here.

- Clint
Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRifles View Post
For a a side arm, I also have a S & W 500 but figured it would be way too heavy to use for a carry. I prefer a semi rifle over bolt for quicker follow up shots. If the semi can freeze up due to temps and jam, Iknow and have seen bolt actions do exactly that so....
I have a trapline 178 miles North of Anchorage, I carry an AR15 on my snowmachine when I'm out there just in case I run across a pack of wolves. I use Slip2000 EWL on my AR, and have shot it in -30 below zero cold and have never had a problem!

What are you planning on using your firearm for in the winter? Between October and April about the only thing you can hunt is small game... so I would say, bring a .22 or a shotgun!

- Clint
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskacajun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
Don't trust bolt action rifles. 1911 in a flap holster, excellent Alaskan field gun.

Blahahahah you beat me to it
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM

I would vote for a big bore Marlin lever gun and revolver, but I doubt you will use either during that time of year. NO hunting and with the wind chill down to -50 and below, darkness 20+ hours a day.

Thin Fl blood, you will be huddled inside trying not to freeze to death.