Tactical vest? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$59.97 for a Tactical Shooting Vest GearHog GearHog 0 05-06-2015 02:00 AM
UAG Tactical British Multi Terrain Camo Tactical Vest - $39.95 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 04-15-2015 08:43 PM
Anybody Using a Tactical Vest AmericanPatriot121 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 63 08-04-2012 08:56 PM
Help me find a tactical vest Logical_Vegan Military Weapons Forum 30 06-18-2012 08:32 AM
Voodoo Tactical Vest Entry Assault Vest FREE SHIPPING CJL ENTERPRIZE silversam1 For Sale 0 05-17-2012 01:41 PM
Trying to avoid the need for a tactical vest. KAK Military Weapons Forum 48 11-24-2010 06:27 AM
Do not buy matrix tactical vest Tombstone997 Urban Survival 0 10-15-2010 11:05 AM
Shotgun tactical vest? Mr Nice Guy Shotgun Forum 21 12-28-2009 02:51 AM
Tactical vest BOBtheBUTCHER Reviews and questions 13 08-26-2009 01:50 AM
tactical vest gmdfunk Firearms General Discussion 3 07-23-2009 05:16 AM

Old 08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Liberty or Death

Question Tactical vest?

Advertise Here

How many of you have tactical vests for shtf/eotwawki situations? And if you do what brand is it?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!

I keep a couple of them in my vehicle bags... UTG's are cheap enough to buy a couple...
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,208 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

I have a 5.11 CC vest from a previous employer. My goal would be to not stand out, that would be kind of hard to do with a tactical vest/gear setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocYoung For This Useful Post:

Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Prepared

I have one I bought from Brigade Quartermaster years ago. I keep it ready with my other gear .
Rubbermaid box for NBC gear ( gas masks, xtra filters,suits, gloves, booties, survey meters,dosometer and chargers, roll of duck tape ), Rubbermaid box for Tach gear ( flak vests and BP vests and helmets ) Rubbermaid box for what I call first responce gear. ( Tach vest, knife, canteen, gas mask, 1 MRE in buttpack, first aid kit, mags , rifle and xtra ammo.)
Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I love this forum

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengo15 View Post
How many of you have tactical vests for shtf/eotwawki situations? And if you do what brand is it?
TT,HSGI,BW and alice.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 PM
25 Or 6 to 4

Thanked 18,382 Times in 4,717 Posts

Not us for the vest or gear. all gear is shoulder slung and can be dropped or stashed on a moments notice. No camo, etc.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS230-1.html
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS231-1.html

All of our stuff looks like bird hunters from the heartland. Plain,docile, and not flashy, same for every platform. It will all disappear into the background due to the colors.

Street clothes and plausible deniability. Chameleons are eons old.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,763 Times in 781 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding video Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 4

This one is a little more low profile and can carry a good bit. You might want to check it out.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tave.html

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! https://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josiah922 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 17,073 Times in 4,605 Posts

I got mine from Cheaper than dirt. They are my favorite out fitters. They never miss a beat in conversation when you are trying to explain what your looking for. That's important because I hate to sound crazy when ordering things. Ordering tactical vests or even bug out bags can get embarrassing when shopping at the wrong store.

Me-"yes I am looking for a bag, like a book bag only larger"
CheaperThandirt- "like for camping, or a hydration back pack?"
Me- No more like for um, for someone running from zombies non stop.
CTD- Oh, like a bug out bag. Sure we have many to choose from. I personally suggest this one. When your running from the FBI, I mean zombies, no other bag will fit your needs.

That kind of personal care just makes me feel...normal?
The Following User Says Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM
bad grammar deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchCoR View Post
I got mine from Cheaper than dirt. They are my favorite out fitters. They never miss a beat in conversation when you are trying to explain what your looking for. That's important because I hate to sound crazy when ordering things. Ordering tactical vests or even bug out bags can get embarrassing when shopping at the wrong store.

Me-"yes I am looking for a bag, like a book bag only larger"
CheaperThandirt- "like for camping, or a hydration back pack?"
Me- No more like for um, for someone running from zombies non stop.
CTD- Oh, like a bug out bag. Sure we have many to choose from. I personally suggest this one. When your running from the FBI, I mean zombies, no other bag will fit your needs.

That kind of personal care just makes me feel...normal?
lol i suppose they are used to it since thats most of what they sell
The Following User Says Thank You to commoguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 27,041 Times in 10,518 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

I have one made by Blackhawk. One of my uncles sent an extra one to me.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
25 Or 6 to 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah922 View Post
This one is a little more low profile and can carry a good bit. You might want to check it out.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tave.html
Thats exactly what I was saying. Dump the mic and stick a few bright fishing flies in the mic band..... and its joe from the local fishin hole.

Add to that the psychology of the victim.> Someone has taken my rod and tacklebox. It was just here 5 minutes ago. Have you seen it? has anyone seen my rod and tacklebox? I need to look for it right now. Is it here? is it there? Someone help me find it.

From threat to liability. Chameleons.

Last edited by Brew; 08-21-2008 at 12:40 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Fight the NWO!!

Go ahead and laugh but I bought the cheap airsoft kind. It will hold real body armor and is MOLLE equipped so I can add whatever I want. Goes on fast and is comfortable to wear. As for quality, no issues with them so far. Can get a total of 12-30 round AR mags on it and some other stuff with additional pouches. Yes it is a bit heavy with that much ammo and ballistic panels but in my situation I won't be running very far.
Here's what it look's like.

http://www.captaindaves.com/shop/med...MS-20-8399.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to TackleBerry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Diamond Dog

Thanked 1,077 Times in 510 Posts

I use a simple South african loadbearing design, made in german flecktarn camo.

Sometimes i'll use a standard american pistol belt and suspenders, and alice pouches.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Transplant

I have a few options. I've got it together for full-scale SHTF, and for more of a short term scenario. The vest I have is more for full-scale, as I cannot conceal it at all. For short term, I'm relying on the belt setup I have. I got most of it from CheaperThanDirt.com, and some of it from Spectre Gear.

Plate carrier vest from CTD. A little big, but with plates in it snugs up and is pretty comfy. Front: 6 AR mag pouches, double pistol mag pouch, mag dump pouch (rolled up), Hissatsu, and you can see the quart canteen with a lanyard. Rear: Hydration bladder, and another pouch. The pouch has some extra goodies in it. I have a lot of alligator clips and fast strips hanging out because there is some other stuff that I don't have yet...

For the more low-key SHTF, I have this setup. Which I can wear semi-comfy with the vest if need be.

Riggers belt from Spectre. Double mag pouch (Maxpedition), CTD drop leg holster (the light fits in, also) with mag pouch on the front. The other side is a drop leg 4 AR15 Mag Pouch. Plus, gas mask (CTD).

I have another vest in the trunk of the car that I use for work, but it's rigged up for Riot stuff. It's a Blackhawk vest the Dept. got us, and it's a lot slimmer. It's more of a LBE deal with PALS webbing on it. I suppose if it really was end of the world, I might take the CN grenade pouches and shotgun shell pouches off of it... but I'd return it after the world settled down. =)

On a side note - I have a lot of other gear that I suppose would work beautifully depending on the scenario. So these wouldn't be the only two options I guess. I tried to make sure that I could use everything together, or break it up into smaller pieces of gear that would work by themselves if need be.

Last edited by TheCouncilOfDave; 08-21-2008 at 09:05 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheCouncilOfDave For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM
25 Or 6 to 4

Dave, your the first guy on here that mentioned the dump pouch. I was starting to think the ground was going to be covered in a layer of magazines. Our dumps are inside the pouches and roll out to hang open.

Wisdom there on a couple points if you read close.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Hiker

I have one rifle set up with a Blackhawk vest I bought maybe eight years ago. It is pretty well made and fits my needs well. I also have another rifle set up with rig built by Arktis and I like this one a bit more since it has more "gear" type pouches rather then just ammo pouches. My next rig is going to be more civilian looking for another rifle I jsut purchased.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleBerry View Post
Go ahead and laugh but I bought the cheap airsoft kind. It will hold real body armor and is MOLLE equipped so I can add whatever I want. Goes on fast and is comfortable to wear. As for quality, no issues with them so far. Can get a total of 12-30 round AR mags on it and some other stuff with additional pouches. Yes it is a bit heavy with that much ammo and ballistic panels but in my situation I won't be running very far.
Here's what it look's like.

http://www.captaindaves.com/shop/med...MS-20-8399.jpg
No one is going to laugh at you here man. Air Soft makes excellent gear. If we think we are nuts, the Air Soft leagues are INSANE. They spend twice the price of the real gun on a rifle that shoots BB's. So while we buy handme downs from the Military, that was originally made by the lowest bidder, Your buying expensive gear that Air Soft enthusiasts gladly spend small fortunes on.

Besides that, its your gear brother. Thanks for contributing. =-)
Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Limpin to safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCouncilOfDave View Post
I have a few options. I've got it together for full-scale SHTF, and for more of a short term scenario. The vest I have is more for full-scale, as I cannot conceal it at all. For short term, I'm relying on the belt setup I have. I got most of it from CheaperThanDirt.com, and some of it from Spectre Gear.

Plate carrier vest from CTD. A little big, but with plates in it snugs up and is pretty comfy. Front: 6 AR mag pouches, double pistol mag pouch, mag dump pouch (rolled up), Hissatsu, and you can see the quart canteen with a lanyard. Rear: Hydration bladder, and another pouch. The pouch has some extra goodies in it. I have a lot of alligator clips and fast strips hanging out because there is some other stuff that I don't have yet...

For the more low-key SHTF, I have this setup. Which I can wear semi-comfy with the vest if need be.

Riggers belt from Spectre. Double mag pouch (Maxpedition), CTD drop leg holster (the light fits in, also) with mag pouch on the front. The other side is a drop leg 4 AR15 Mag Pouch. Plus, gas mask (CTD).

I have another vest in the trunk of the car that I use for work, but it's rigged up for Riot stuff. It's a Blackhawk vest the Dept. got us, and it's a lot slimmer. It's more of a LBE deal with PALS webbing on it. I suppose if it really was end of the world, I might take the CN grenade pouches and shotgun shell pouches off of it... but I'd return it after the world settled down. =)

On a side note - I have a lot of other gear that I suppose would work beautifully depending on the scenario. So these wouldn't be the only two options I guess. I tried to make sure that I could use everything together, or break it up into smaller pieces of gear that would work by themselves if need be.
AWESOME GEAR MAN! Gas masks, and everything. Don't you just love Molle gear? Looks great man. Take a pic of you wearing it brother, Gas mask on too!!! That would be cool.