Will a Fire Extinguisher explode in a car if too hot? ~120*+ ? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Location in House for 10# fire extinguisher? ambos lados Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 63 01-24-2014 07:54 AM
Electric Shock from Fire Extinguisher Robot General Discussion 1 07-08-2013 11:13 PM
New! Fire Escape Ladder, Car Extinguisher, Tactical Splint! redflare For Sale 4 05-14-2013 08:01 PM
New! Fire Escape Ladder, Car Extinguisher, Tactical Splint! redflare Red Flare Kits 0 05-14-2013 07:49 PM
Fire Extinguisher Against Looters? HeavyTakeMusic Urban Survival 20 08-19-2012 08:59 AM
Fire extinguisher at Lidl - from the 9th of Feb Rosesandtea British Isles and ROI 4 08-19-2012 12:20 AM
Have The Fire Extinguisher At Hand - Especially In Montana East Coast Woods General Discussion 2 05-03-2012 12:37 AM
Fire Escape Ladder and extinguisher kukuri Urban Survival 15 12-16-2010 11:03 AM
Fire extinguisher almost kills police BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 0 11-12-2010 12:34 PM
1 Kg Powder Fire Extinguisher (Cat A,B,C) 12.99 Free P+P on eBay Jever British Isles and ROI 13 03-21-2010 03:05 PM

Old 02-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,483 Times in 312 Posts
Question Will a Fire Extinguisher explode in a car if too hot? ~120*+ ?

Advertise Here

I just bought some fire extinguishers for the house & the cars and my girlfriend is concerned about leaving one in her car when she visits the desert where it can easily pass 120* in El Centro.

It specifically states on the side of the extinguisher not to let it exceed temps of 120*...

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Reason For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Avoidance & Deterrence

Thanked 3,451 Times in 1,405 Posts

They should be fine in the trunk but if it is that hot you might want to park in the shade anyway. You can shop for another brand/type of fire extinguisher without the warning.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,736 Times in 1,101 Posts

Asking here because I don't really know...

Doesn't a fire extinguisher have a rubber relief port that blows out in such cases? Like a capacitor that has seen too much V....

Would seem pretty stupid if they don't. Eventually they could be in a fire and have firemen walking by them in said fire. Would seem pretty stupid if they were left to just explode in the presence of heat considering they are, afterall... fire extinguishers.

Edit: Also, think of all the fire extinguishers in boats. Out in the sun all day... roasting...
Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 18,485 Times in 7,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64duracraft View Post
Asking here because I don't really know...

Doesn't a fire extinguisher have a rubber relief port that blows out in such cases? Like a capacitor that has seen too much V....

Would seem pretty stupid if they don't. Eventually they could be in a fire and have firemen walking by them in said fire. Would seem pretty stupid if they were left to just explode in the presence of heat considering they are, afterall... fire extinguishers.
Yes, Mythbusters pointed that very thing out one time when they were investigating whether a fire extinguisher in the middle of a fire would explode and put out the fire. Modern fire extinguishers have relief valves and don't blow up, they just leak. So they welded the valve shut and went on from there.

And yes, under the right circumstances, a fire extinguisher CAN blow out a fire...
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,363 Posts

Years ago I was licensed to repair, maintain , and sell fire extinguishers in Texas, so I might be able to help here. The chances of a fire extinguisher retaining enough pressure to "explode" during a fire is very remote. Inside the neck is a small plunger assembly... roughly hour glass shaped. It has a rubber "O" ring. There is another rubber "O" ring where the head and bottle neck join. If an extinguisher was in a fire, I would suspect those "o"rings would very quickly melt, allowing the pressure to vent. The O-rings are very soft rubber, and in the case of the bottle neck the gap is large. If the O ring melts, the venting will be substantial. Really doubt the bottle would split. TP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 AM
Cry havoc..

Reason,

Carried one or two in the trunk of a BLACK patrol car for years and never had a problem. Always worked when needed. Seems they were rotated about once every 2-3 years.

Dave
Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 AM

Hi, I am a firefighter and generally extinguishers are fitted with burst disks and are burst pressure rated to about 50 times normal pressure. Have never heard of one bursting in a car in 20 years. The reason you exchange white powder extinguishers that are in vehicles every three years is that the constant bumping around compacts the powder and it won't work.

Ones on a wall at home should be changed out every six years. And to keep on the theme of preparedness I hope everyone has at least a couple of photo electric smoke detectors in their homes and that they change the batteries every 12 months??? Photo electric ones are better than the old ionization ones BTW.

A lot of people don't realize that when they are asleep their noses switch off and they WILL NOT smell the smoke and wake up. No detectors and you will never wake up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikdcard344 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 AM
Beware of the dog!

Thanked 1,740 Times in 698 Posts

I have lived in the Las Vegas, Nevada area for 20 years now. I worked over 17 years as a Police Officer and all of our police cars have fire extinguishers in the trunk, or the back of the Tahoes. It gets damn hot here, and the inside of vehicles can reach 130+ in the heat of the summer if parked in the sun. We never had an issue of a fire extinguisher, or anything else, exploding inside of the vehicles. I am not saying it can't happen, but I never heard of it. I would suggest not leaving it on the dashboard in direct sunlight, but you should be fine anywhere else.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,823 Posts

I have a water one in the back of my vehicle and have had for years.

So far so good.

(I carry water not to put out my vehicle should it catch on fire, but to put out the paddock should the vehicle set it on fire)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 AM
High-Strung

I have kept a fire extinguisher in my truck for years here in the South Texas heat. Never had a problem.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Not sure about a fire extinguisher, but a bottle of pepper spray sure as hell will.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Master Mariner- retired

Thanked 1,717 Times in 618 Posts

Something I've not seen mentioned here, yet. If the extingisher is dry chemical, at least once a year, take it out of the holder and tap it against a hard surface. Turn it upside down several times while tapping it. Dry chemical can cake in the bottom and all you get out when you trigger it is gas.

I did have the valve blow off of a CO2 extingisher during a fire on a boat many years ago. When I squeezed the handle, the valve blew out of my hand. The Coast Guard inquiry said they had never heard of that happening before. They said the only reason they believed me was the cuts on my hand, and the imprint bruise of the bottle in the middle of my chest. It was extremely hot from the fire when it happened.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,483 Times in 312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogt71 View Post
Not sure about a fire extinguisher, but a bottle of pepper spray sure as hell will.
Sounds like you've got a story to tell?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,205 Times in 5,725 Posts

Working on boats for a living I mounted and used a lot of fire extinguishers.
Biggest problem is mounting them upright, not good on moving equipment .All the powder packs down and the tool is useless.
I have since learned to mount them horizontally , much easier to break the powder loose after being packed down for a long time.
In a house you don't have this problem usually. (no movement)
I have at least 3 in my truck, and one on the motorcycle, and several in the house, and a few in the work shop.
Good remainder to check every body , thanks .
Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,101 Times in 3,884 Posts

So fire extinguishers popping in a fire can't happen.

It was found 50 yards away from where is was normally left on my work slab.

It does get to 160ish in my dark colored vehicles in the Texas summer. I have never lost one inside of a closed up vehicle.