Temp for sealing mylar bags - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sealing Mylar bags with vacuum sealer ? madcritter Food and water 22 01-21-2018 11:04 AM
Discount on Mylar Bags & Vacuum Sealing Supplies Lisa B For Sale 2 07-05-2015 10:44 AM
Newbie questions about sealing mylar bags Wolf Dancer Food and water 29 03-09-2014 11:03 AM
Vacuum sealing Mylar bags Fire/hunting guy Food and water 25 12-03-2013 06:35 PM
Sealing Mylar bags fhhunt Food and water 5 02-02-2013 07:01 PM
Sealing Mylar Bags Highlander Food and water 32 01-05-2013 12:51 AM
Newbie here. Question about sealing mylar bags. boristheblade Food and water 6 11-27-2012 09:59 AM
Sealing 7mil mylar bags with iron or hair straightener? riverguy Food and water 12 11-15-2012 03:11 PM
Sealing up those mylar bags jenn197399 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 06-06-2011 10:22 AM
sealing foods in mylar or plastic bags CO-retired Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 02-17-2011 07:03 PM

Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Temp for sealing mylar bags

Advertise Here

I purchased a 1 3/4" flat iron specifically for sealing up mylar bags.It can range in temerature from 310- 410 degrees.What is the best temerature to seal bags with?? Thanks to everyone here who answer questions and post replies to questions. The information is priceless!!
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Doing What It Takes

I crank mine up to 410F
The Following User Says Thank You to Charles985 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,508 Times in 3,959 Posts

you need to adjust according to the mylar mil thickness ......

remember to keep the throat of the bag clean of any food powder/dust ......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:

Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 PM
... --- ...

Thanked 45,859 Times in 10,739 Posts

I learned alot by cutting some scrap pieces off a bag, and practicing with my iron. The stuff melts VERY easily, it doesn't need much, and it's very easy to over-do it.
I found that proper technique is more important than perfect heat.
I used a 1.5" x 2.5" piece of wood that was a support piece from a busted chair ( was PERFECT for this,IMO). I folded the food-filled mylar bag tightly over the wood,squeezing out most of the internal air, then ran a very hot,standard clothes iron over the mylar, then back again.
Anything more was un-necessary, and would over-melt the mylar.
Another CRITICAL aspect was ensuring that there were no ripples where the mylar was folded over the piece of wood. Make sure everything is clean,smooth, and tight. A second pair of hands helps, especially at first ( till you get the hang of it).
As IlliniWarrior said above, try to remove any particles or dust from the inner part of the bag where the seal will be. I would just wipe the area with a paper towel. This is most critical with finer stuff like dehydrated potatoes or flour, not quite so much with more solid stuff like wheat berries,beans or rice.
Hope this was helpful, holler back if you have any questions........

One more point, try very hard to NOT let the iron touch the bag anywhere you don't intend to melt and seal. If it touches the main portion of the bag, that has air and/or food behind it, the iron will almost instantly melt through the bag, leaving a hole.You want the iron in contact ONLY with mylar that is supported by the wood underneath.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,437 Times in 7,791 Posts

One handy trick is to use aluminum foil between the mylar and the iron. It buffers the action nicely, and keeps the mylar from sticking to the iron.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Prepared

This is why we decided that $100 for a sealer specifically designed for the job was the way to go. To do some serious prepping, it made more sense to get the real deal which both saves time AND offers a great deal of peace of mind. No worrying about whether or not it is well sealed.

Now if I can just get rid of the extras...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aldo99 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,437 Times in 7,791 Posts

Aldo 99 has the right of it. A dedicated sealer is the way to go if that is the only thing you are doing with plastics. Myself, I wind up doing a lot of odd things with visqueen (sealing rope between two plies of the stuff for instance, for greenhouse projects) so I have several heating implements for different tasks. If you're bagging stuff a dedicated sealer is the only way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 AM

I also have a Food Saver sealer.I realize that we cannot pull the air out of the mylar bags with the food saver but will it seal the mylar bags adequately or better then I can with the flat iron? Looks like I will be doing some experimenting this morning.Thanks for the help guys.I will let you know how it goes.