Anybody Using a Tactical Vest - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$59.97 for a Tactical Shooting Vest GearHog GearHog 0 05-06-2015 02:00 AM
UAG Tactical British Multi Terrain Camo Tactical Vest - $39.95 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 04-15-2015 08:43 PM
Help me find a tactical vest Logical_Vegan Military Weapons Forum 30 06-18-2012 08:32 AM
Voodoo Tactical Vest Entry Assault Vest FREE SHIPPING CJL ENTERPRIZE silversam1 For Sale 0 05-17-2012 01:41 PM
Trying to avoid the need for a tactical vest. KAK Military Weapons Forum 48 11-24-2010 06:27 AM
Do not buy matrix tactical vest Tombstone997 Urban Survival 0 10-15-2010 11:05 AM
Shotgun tactical vest? Mr Nice Guy Shotgun Forum 21 12-28-2009 02:51 AM
Tactical vest BOBtheBUTCHER Reviews and questions 13 08-26-2009 01:50 AM
tactical vest gmdfunk Firearms General Discussion 3 07-23-2009 05:16 AM
Tactical vest? wengo1776 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 08-22-2008 11:25 AM

Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,044 Posts
Default Anybody Using a Tactical Vest

Advertise Here

Anybody using a tactical vest and if so in what instances?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,160 Times in 3,372 Posts

I have this one. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/249...-cotton-canvas
It is much lighter than the 5.11 one. I wear it for CWP and whenever I need to carry lots of stuff, but not enought to justify a pack. Think family vacations at Disney.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,564 Times in 3,157 Posts

I wear mine when I shoot. I'm too old and broken down to do all the tactical training and drills that some young guys do, but I don't plan on being a high speed low drag operator in combat either. I keep three M16 magazine pouches and three 1911 magazine pouches on mine. A flashlight and walkie talkie are part of it too. Mine is just for walking my property in case of bad times. I'm not even entertaining the idea of "storming the fortress" or "taking the hill".

Edited post---brain fart. I have a load bearing harness/belt rig, not a vest. Mine is milsurp from Allegheny Surplus.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:

Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,151 Posts

I use a BFG chest rig, very light, can hold pretty much any mag, conceable,
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,235 Times in 1,649 Posts

I bought a tacticool MOLLE vest that has a six mag pouch for my AR-15, 3 mag pouch and holster for my pistol, pouches for a flashlight & leatherman (converted mag pouches), a camelbak, and a butt pouch with a basic first aid kit, airman's straw, space blanket, basic gun cleaning kit, map of the local area, basic fire starting kit, and some food & a spoon.

I need to add a mag drop pouch.

I bought this early on when I started preparing, and I take it with me when I go shooting in the desert. I consider it a part of my BOB, but wouldn't wear it openly unless SHTF big time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 AM
FO

Thanked 2,255 Times in 992 Posts

I run either a chest rig or a battle belt or both. Texas heat gets me in the battle belt more often than not.

Eagle Industries / SKD Universal chest rig works with AR/AK mags.

Blue Force Gear battle belt/suspenders, have HSGI Taco mag pouches, works with all mag sizes to include the big .308 mags. Yeah, the Taco's cost more, but they eliminate the need for multiple pouches (mag sizes) and having to change out the rig all the time.

Use them for training courses and at the BOL when we shoot/train out there. Can't see a situation where I'd run around in public wearing the stuff tho, lol.... unless of course the movies become reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to 13FoxTrot10 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Prepared

About 6 years ago, I picked up a used Eddie Bauer fishing/hunting vest for $2 at some Thrift store on a visit back to the US. It was served me well and I use it whenever I am travelling. The pockets will store as much as a medium sized carry on bag. It's not necessarily a tactical vest, but it's just as usable and no one thinks anything about it when you wear it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tripsigg For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Hunkerin' in the Bunker

I've got a vest like the one above, but my SHTF gear is military web gear. My fiancee has a black SWAT-looking thing, only because it's set up to hold all the med-gear and a crap-ton of shotgun shells (her SHTF weapon)
The Following User Says Thank You to extreme_survival84 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM View Post
I bought a tacticool MOLLE vest that has a six mag pouch for my AR-15, 3 mag pouch and holster for my pistol, pouches for a flashlight & leatherman (converted mag pouches), a camelbak, and a butt pouch with a basic first aid kit, airman's straw, space blanket, basic gun cleaning kit, map of the local area, basic fire starting kit, and some food & a spoon.

I need to add a mag drop pouch.

I bought this early on when I started preparing, and I take it with me when I go shooting in the desert. I consider it a part of my BOB, but wouldn't wear it openly unless SHTF big time.
That's more or less the way mine is without the camel back and butt pouch and I have it set up to use only if the SHTF. I would not wear mine otherwise as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmericanPatriot121 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,765 Posts

I have both the Nam era Alice belt and a newer Molle vest. I only use the Molle vest when carrying my Ar-15 as it has the forward mounted Mag pouches for the 30 round mags. I can use it for my Ruger 10-22 as well. 30 round Eagle mags will fit in those Ar-15 pouches. For hunting I have a small butt pack with get home supplies,water food bars etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Prepared

I have a Tactical Tailor MAV set up for 6 Galil mags, my blow out kit, my USP, and various other stuff. It is part of my bug out set up and I use it for 3 gun matches. Too many years in the Army not have a good tac vest when I need it. I also like knowing that all my weapons gear is easy to grab and go if I have to hit the ground running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moni1124 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,783 Times in 1,668 Posts

I have two tac vests, however they really aren't part of my preps at all. In fact, I should sell them (both are Blackhawk vests), but both sit in a plastic foot locker in my garage as part of some of my deployment momentos.

Wearing a tac vest just isn't in my SHTF plan.

I don't even own an M4, which is what both are set up for.
The Following User Says Thank You to AtticusFinch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Warrior Trying tobe Civil

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,175 Posts

I have a three part system. Each part is independent of the other and each compliments the other. All three parts have been customized, altered, changed, modified and re-modified!!

The first layer is a inner/outer bat belt. The inner belt is the top half (waist belt) for the two-piece rappel harness. The outer belt holds a modified hip/theigh holster on one side and a modified hip/thigh sheath (for the large fixed blade on the opposite side, all are jump proof. It also holds a small fixed flat divers knife, a pouch for the cell phone, key ring holder, and a couple other small items.

The second layer is a highly modified load bearing vest with some molle and custom attachment points. It holds carbine mags, pistol mags, bolt gun ammo, fixed medium blade knife, 2-way radio, 2 canteens, a couple small pouches for things like a compass, flashlight, spare batteries, rangefinder, wind meter, dope charts, etc. Everything is jump proof.

The third layer is a modified medium ALICE pack and frame. It holds the sleeping gear, medical pouch, food, filter, stove, mess kit, some odds and ends, bottom half (thigh/leg straps) rappel harness, some climbing gear, cleaning gear, etc. I have three additional pouches attached, one is the rappelling line drop bag, along with a special wrap and harness for carrying either the carbine or long gun. Everything is jump proof.

The system weighs in at 45 pounds excluding the carbine and bolt gun. The jump proofing is intended to actually parachute, although except for a drag link and release it would be.....the jump proofing is for tactical ground and/or aerial platform rappelling.

This is my primary load out system, which you would most likely refer to as a BOB.

Out of the hundred or so rigs I have tried and used on the past 50 years, none of them have come out of the box and fit.....to be really a benefit and useful, there is always something, if not a lot of things, I need to modify.

Best Regards.......Eagle Six
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Six For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Prepared

What color would be best in gear including a vest? Does it matter
Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I survive on Hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPpatriot View Post
What color would be best in gear including a vest? Does it matter
Well, depends on if you want to blend. I usually just stick to coyote brown or foliage green.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I survive on Hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
I have two tac vests, however they really aren't part of my preps at all. In fact, I should sell them (both are Blackhawk vests), but both sit in a plastic foot locker in my garage as part of some of my deployment momentos.

Wearing a tac vest just isn't in my SHTF plan.

I don't even own an M4, which is what both are set up for.
Send me a PM if you are interested in possibly selling one.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM
PERMANENTLY REDACTED

Thanked 1,654 Times in 665 Posts
Default Boogyman, Sasquatch, or just a Deer

Yea I got a Tac vest hung up under my Ninja suit...A set of dark green sweats and a pair of romeo's... The last time some idiots were out dooin the Hoot-N-Holler out in the woods at 0-dark 30, and set of my perimeter alarms, I did the usual...put on the bathrobe and flops and grabbed the shotgun...Out the door I went...Lessons learned...
The light on the shotgun was WAY TO BRIGHT. I should have had a smaller dimmer one to negotiate my way down the road without being visible from space..
Flops are great until you step on a doggie land mine...Hence the Romeo's, as they give more protection from road hazards..
Bath Robes are great for going to the port-a-potty or the cook shack, but when you are hauling it down the road, they will constantly come undone. Now had I actually came up on anyone at this time, they would have laughed themselves to death or run away in total terror. Then there is the issue of shrinkage from the cold and exposure...Sweats cure that problem
After all was over, (and I will admit I did catch the moron who interrupted my beauty sleep, Brother I need all of that I can get and scared the drunk out of him) I addressed the other short falls. Here is a list of the new and improved Ninja suit...
Dark green sweats
Romeo's
Shotgun
Tac Vest with...
1911 with 3 spare clips
15 00 buckshot rounds
Hydration system
Low output flashlight with red lens.
Radio (on same freq as parameter alarms.)
TP
There is plenty more room for other goodies, but at current threat levels I am comfortable with just the abouve.
I pity the poor slob that makes me bail so quick that all I have time to grab is the vest and flops, cause I guarantee it will not be pretty!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ELBUFO For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
•--• • •- -•-• •

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,257 Posts

I have a Condor tactical crossdraw in flat black. I have no intention of wearing it or needing it until SHTF. What I liked about it was it is Molle, carries 3 AR-15 mags, 3 pistol mags, has a holster (thus the name) and a few other pockets. Think I paid $70. Good enough for me and what I might need
The Following User Says Thank You to webfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,200 Times in 657 Posts

Mine says it has a holster but it's really a slanted cross-draw pocket with a velcro flap. I really like it so I don't have to try to wear a normal holster. It's not fitted for any particular gun.

I bought camo for color, and 6 30 round AR mag pockets and it had 2 pistol mag pockets up high in front. It has a couple of larger pockets for misc., and a flashlight pocket.

I wear it a lot when I'm walking my wooded property.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adapter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Target Shooter

Back in the day when the vests first came out, we thought they were the shiz until we had to hit prone and landed on our magazines, Berettas, and other very hard equipment.

I stick with the good ol' ALICE gear.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rnman99 For This Useful Post: