Survivalist Forum banner

packing a BOB and for how long?

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Hoss the wolf 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I'm slowly thinking of all the things I need to pack in my BOB but I keep coming up with some questions. My main concern with packing a BOB is - do I pack it for the season that it is or do I pack for an upcoming one as well? Here in Rocky Mountain heaven, the weather changes quickly and if I'm to bug out (more than likely will be into the Rockies) the weather changes like crazy the more you venture in. Should I bring enough to sustain me in the winter as well? Or do I only pack for a few weeks worth of bugging out? I'd have to bring my long johns regardless so why not pack my snowpants (more like an out layer than real padded ones) in the bottom of the pack? Same thing about the winter jacket. As for shoes, I'd bring my snowboarding boots. They're super comfy and warm and they're relatively light to haul around. Spring/Summer/Fall gear would nearly be all identical to each other (1 pair of long pants, 1 pair of shorts, tees, 1 hoodie). Do you pack for an upcoming season as well?

Next question - in the event of an "incident", how long would your BOB last you for? For those bugging out with no permanent location, do you bring enough to last a long time or just for a week or two? I know that this will depend on the situation but what if you just dont know? Do you err on the side of caution and bring extra (if weight is no issue) or do you bring the least possible and make do?

I have a tendency to overpack but I also dont want to bug out and then realize I really should have packed those snow pants :xeye:.....who knows when I'll have to go! Help please!! I keep wrestling around with these questionns and havent come up with a good enough reason for either option....:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I pack for the current season and take time at the beginning of each season to repack and re-evaluate my BOB. It also gives me time to make sure nothing got damaged. Since you can never know ahead of time what will happen or when it will happen it, to me, makes sense to pack more than you think you will need as long as it is still something you can carry to your BOL. Also since you can't know what will happen ahead of time, you can't know how long it will last. If you can hunt, fish, or trap your own food then you may not need to carry as much but I would still make sure to carry enough to get you through to your BOL, because hunting, fishing, and trapping may or may not be an option depending on why your are bugging out.

#3 ·
I keep two BOBs. The primary one is only setup to handle me and my family for three days. That may not seem like much to most of you but, based on what I saw during Katrina, I may need to hike several miles so I want a pack that I can carry on my back. Plus, I've got a wife and kid which greatly adds to the stuff I need to carry. My BOB has food and water for those three days as well.

I keep a second bag in my garage that has all my long-term stuff (more food, tent, etc) that I can throw in the back of the car if need be.

So, to answer the question, my BOB only has seasonal clothes in it and I change it a couple times a year. However, the clothes I do carry don't include things like jackets since my BOB is kept in the closet right next to my coats and stuff so I figure I can grap a jacket when grabbing my BOB. My big bag in the garage doesn't have clothes in it (since I don't have a double set of everything) which is a flaw but one I'm willing to live with.

It all depends on how much time you think your going to have to get out of the house. I figure that anything that will require I get out of the house immediately (under 5 minutes) with no advanced warning will either be short lived or be so devastating the I won't survive anyway.

#4 ·
I agree that training in long term survival skills ( hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. ) are the primary things to get for yourself...knowledge is power and a well equipped brain is your best tool, weapon and strength...beyond that your bob needs to consider your geography, climate, length of duration out and survival items ( game, etc. ) available at your bol...research it with a weekend trip first with your bob packed and then see what you really need...then if your bol is permanent ( no return home ) size up what you'd need to do 4 seasons and determine if you can carry it...then pack it all and do a second weekend trip with it...it you make it thru, you can do it ! concentrate on items that serve multi-functions and watch every ounce of weight. if it doesn't serve a simple survival existence, you DON'T need it !!!

me ? i always have a 4 seasons bob, including food items, for indefinite bug out...my travels require i travel across an entire state if it happens while i'm on the wrong end of it...that could be 1 month of overland travel and a few river / stream crossings...that said, yes...i am prepared for that possibility....ymmv

Hope this helps...bonecutter6

#5 ·
In my own BOB, I repack for every season. However, even in the summer when it can reach into the mid 90s, I still keep a set of USGI poly pro thermals in my bag. For every heat wave which comes through, there is a cold front behind it. When the two meet and the storm is over, those 90 degree temperatures can dip down to the 60s at times. Considering I only pack a poncho liner in the summer, the thermals give me some extra warmth when sleeping without the need to pack a bulkier, heavier bed roll.

#6 ·
I have all my gear with me, but our winters are pretty mild, like 20-30'F.
So really, I don't need much beyond extra thermals and fleeces.

What if you had your winter gear in a stuff sack, and keep it next to your BOB as a grab bag, only a matter of a minute to strap it on if you think you'll need it.

#7 ·
Living where you do, I would worry on how fickle. I learned my lesson in Ohio when I almost froze to death in a storm that happened in early fall. I would carry the extra clothing for one reason is this up in the mountains freak storm and long winter like conditions can kill in short time. SOME dissasters last around 72 hours but what if it doesn't? What if it's months? Granted one can only carry 2 weeks of food MAX if it's on your back with a huge back pack. So having a cache plan is crucial and a bug out location with buildings even better. Back packing is good for small shortterm emergancies, but for long term a established facility will make quite a differance. My .02 cents on the subject.

P.S. Don't forget to put your clothing in a water proofed bag. Getting wet and cold with no dry clothing and or insulative clothing = Kiss of death.

Rifleman 336

#9 · (Edited)
PG-

your questions really show the weak points of the BOB BO plan.
first off a BOB should be packed to cover your basic needs for the area you will be living in or be in. If temps range from 0-80,plan for that.
For example here in "the deep south"......of idaho of course;) i pack for temps from 0-110+. that is a BIG extreme but you have to make concessions to fit it. For example. The coldest months here, i add my cold weather clothing- aka goretex,fleece,poly pros. other clothing stays the same year round. I also will then add my cold weather bag(s). As temps start to rise i start removing items- mostly sleeping bags. The base layer clothing will stay the same till it reaches temps over 65f. then my packs go into "summer" mode. aka ultra light 50f bags, no bivy sacks and all poly pros and fleeces are removed besides a watch cap and gloves.

There is no magical way to pack a BOB to cover all year unless you live in a stable temperature area, but ive yet to find one.

On to the "event" deal. This is were you planning will effect your BOB.
I may come off blunt here, so do not take offense.
BOB's are merely a tool to ensure that you are outfitted with the basics to keep you alive till you reach "point B". By this i mean you MUST have a location to go to. This "point B" NEEDS TO BE PRE-STOCKED prior to an event. Bugging out by car/on foot with a BOB to point B in the hills is not a good idea for any LONG TERM EVENT.
Now shortterm i doubt anyone would BO to the hills becuase of a power outage or being snowed in.
You need to plan ahead and prep/stock that location you plan on habitating post event. If not your restricted to what you have in your BOB or what you've packed with you. Many have this wild dream- ill live off the land.(aka les stroud style) with my BOB . Go try it for 4 days. empty your BOB of all food but 1 meal. and live the remaining 3 trying to "live" off the land. Then it will be pounded home the point im making.
" but Bob i dont have a BOL.."
again this may be blunt. Your sitting at a gateway of resources and opportunity's. Network with people in your area, safety is in numbers and there are plenty of remote ares in Canada that can be stocked,bought cheap and a BOL built on. even land just outside small urban areas is relatively cheap from what ive seen while searching for land in middle Ontario. things may have changed but cost were on avg. 1 to 1.5k usd per acre or less. 100- acres at 30-50k isnt unheard of! and that is no where what is needed to get started 1-5 acres would be plenty and thats only a 1-6k USD investment! let alone if other family ,friends or "like minded" folks get involved with it!
Network now, the reality of BO on foot/car to the hills should scare you. The only way to SIM this is to live out of your pack 3-4 times a year.
Many do not. sure they all pack and show off thier list of items, but for the majority of folks their packs are not used as they should be( aka- walk 20 yrds from car and set up). This will also help you with your gear choices ( about those snow pants)
think about this do you need them? your rain gear can double aka- goretex pants jacket with fleece liners and poly pors can do the same as "snow "pants. yet you can tailor that set up to a changing climate unlike the snow pants that are restricted to a single weather use!
Do you see where im going here. Again the more you use the more you will know what you NEED vs what you want. I can post a complete gear list for any climate that would fit the majority of every ones basic needs, but the user would not get anything out of it if they do not use or test the setup for themselves.

train,test,network, re plan, and plan again.

again sorry if some of it sounded blunt, but reality sucks,learn that now and SHTf wont suck as hard:thumb:

#10 ·
I strongly feel you need and that it really takes more than one 'bag' to make a BOB.

1) BOB 1 contains the essentials. Essentials are the items that I NEED and MUST take with me, come rain or shine, hot or cold, desert or swamp. Generally this would be toiletries and other items they would be used in spite of other factors. Clean water tablets, knife, emergency blanket etc.

2) BOB 2 THINK COLD. I live in a desert and albeit at this time of year the low temps are mid 80's at the coldest, the rest of the year in spite of hot days the nights are almost always cold or below about 85 degrees. Therefore you MUST think in terms of cold and in terms of LAYERS:

* hi-tech wicking type undershirt x2

* 100% cotton regular T shirt x2

* tight woven cotton long sleeve field shirt**. These are quite expensive but well worth it, wear like iron and are very water resistant to water x2

* shirt-jac, typically of cotton jeans or canvas weight and often lined with poly-fleece or high nap flannel

* 100% high quality down (550 fill or better) long sleeve jacket WITH HOOD

* jacket, similar to Army Field Jacket or Special Forces type long jacket**, to the thigh, lined with cotton flannel, make sure its OVER SIZED as all of the above will fit under.

* hi-tech wicking type underwear for legs (Under Armor) x2

* military style, non insulated boots x2

* gore-tex or other water proof gloves x2

** Available from Orvis

3) The above will provide a reasonable degree of safety and comfort year round in most climes found in the US except all but the coldest northern areas.

4) Think worst case and that you will need to backpack all that you carry with you. The optimal weight you can carry is approx 20% of body weight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.