Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
micro fleece vs wool anno lynke Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 77 03-19-2017 08:22 PM
Wool VS Fleece SirThrivalist Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 12-05-2012 04:58 PM
Down, wool or fleece. What's the best insulation for the body? Bobbyjack Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 49 10-13-2012 12:28 AM
GEAR: Wool, Fleece, Down, Alpaca, Cotton, Thin-sulate, or other? LostCoyote Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 09-13-2012 02:49 PM
20 Below Mens Fleece Zip Up (L) Cope's Distribuitng For Sale 0 03-05-2012 09:51 AM
Fleece Jacket Cactus Looking for - want to buy 8 10-05-2010 09:42 AM
Hiking in Micro Fleece twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 04-26-2010 08:00 PM
Does fleece work well in rainy conditions? awad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 25 09-28-2009 01:53 PM
The Land of the Fleece Scam RamblinMan Controversial News and Alternative Politics 0 05-26-2009 10:11 PM
Fleece Sleeping Bags AAPEXX Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 04-04-2008 09:11 PM

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Wool or Fleece ?

Advertise Here

I always thought wool was warmer than fleece, now I'm hearing fleece is warmer than wool. I know wool insulates even when wet, but does fleece insulate when wet?

Whats your opinion, wool or fleece?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lionatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Fleece is basically cotton and does not insulate when wet. One of my favorite, most inexpensive pieces of gear is the USGI wool watch cap.- George
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mercop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,471 Posts

i'd go with wool. i have never seen a frozen sheep.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 5,717 Times in 2,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionatheart View Post
I always thought wool was warmer than fleece, now I'm hearing fleece is warmer than wool. I know wool insulates even when wet, but does fleece insulate when wet?

Whats your opinion, wool or fleece?
In my experience, fleece will insulate you while wet if you're exerting yourself. But not if you're just sitting around. "warm" is a subjective term, and you should test for yourself which one is warmer!

I used a poly-fiber fleece PT cap for PT in the Army, and used a wool watch cap for hiking/camping when I got out. I thought that the fleece was warmer when it wasn't wet, but not by any significant ammount. In my experience, wool takes a good 30 minutes to warm up the hollow fibers with your body heat, whereas the poly-fibers will warm up instantly. That may be why some people think that fleece is warmer than wool.

What I *LOVE* about wool is that I don't ever have to worry about being wet in it. I can sweat all day while I'm hiking, and the wool will absorb it so that I don't feel wet, and, even if the wool is wet, it will still insulate.

On an insulative note, I've slept under wet wool blankets and they DO insulate while wet, but they're also still extremely breathable, allowing even the slightest wind to rob your precious body heat! If you want wool to effectively insulate you while you're sedentary and wet, I find that you need a windshield of some kind, like a goretex or a poncho or a tarp, or even a thicket brush or big rock.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to twyggy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Hiker

light it on fire. does it melt? imagine that on your skin if you are standing too close to the fire....
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ghilleman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Life, Liberty,& Happiness

Thanked 1,228 Times in 456 Posts

Wool, been used and proven far longer than fleece.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MeatHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Hunter

Some fleece is made out of cotton, it won't insulate when wet. The fleece that is made out of polyester will insulate when wet. You have to read the label. Any fleece made by The North Face, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, and most other reputable outdoor clothing manufacturers are all made out of poly.

The difference between the two fabrics is mainly a warmth to weight issue. What provides the most warmth for it's weight? Of the two they can go both ways. I have a fleece jacket called the Monkey Man that is the warmest fleece jacket on the market for it's weight.

Wool though is damn near Fire Retardant. That is something to keep in mind. Synthetic fabrics will melt, wool won't.

If you are looking at these as part of your layering system, both have their place. for that matter there are a lot of other materials that have their place in your system too, such as down and Primaloft. In my opinion you should strive to make your layering system as adaptable as possible and as adjustable as possible. Open my closet right now and you'll find fleece, primaloft, wool, down, goretex, and many other items. This allows me to adjust things on the fly based on weather and location of where I'm going.

Prepping for the TSHTF though. Wool is where I'm going. It's durable, flame retardant, warm, and highly adaptable to your environment.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cragar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,447 Times in 1,372 Posts

Another good property of wool is it doesnt hold body odour as much as synthetics and cotton so when you come home your wife/girlfriend want turn her nose up. Hay sex is important
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dillin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,853 Times in 14,167 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilleman View Post
light it on fire. does it melt? imagine that on your skin if you are standing too close to the fire....
Any clothing, while on fire, and while you are wearing it, will burn you.

Your point?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

I produce wool.

My wife cards, spins and even felts.

We do not make fleece.

Post-SHTF I doubt if anyone on this forum will be producing any fleece.

I vote wool.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Warrior Trying tobe Civil

Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragar View Post
Some fleece is made out of cotton, it won't insulate when wet. The fleece that is made out of polyester will insulate when wet. You have to read the label. Any fleece made by The North Face, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, and most other reputable outdoor clothing manufacturers are all made out of poly.

The difference between the two fabrics is mainly a warmth to weight issue. What provides the most warmth for it's weight? Of the two they can go both ways. I have a fleece jacket called the Monkey Man that is the warmest fleece jacket on the market for it's weight.

Wool though is damn near Fire Retardant. That is something to keep in mind. Synthetic fabrics will melt, wool won't.

If you are looking at these as part of your layering system, both have their place. for that matter there are a lot of other materials that have their place in your system too, such as down and Primaloft. In my opinion you should strive to make your layering system as adaptable as possible and as adjustable as possible. Open my closet right now and you'll find fleece, primaloft, wool, down, goretex, and many other items. This allows me to adjust things on the fly based on weather and location of where I'm going.

Prepping for the TSHTF though. Wool is where I'm going. It's durable, flame retardant, warm, and highly adaptable to your environment.
Not much to add and he said it well....ditto

Best Regards.....Eagle Six
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Six For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM

I had a fleece blanket added in my sleep system and it wasnt all that great. Then my father in law found me a military issue wool blanket that replaced the fleece. I would suggest wool over fleece any given day.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Target Shooter

I wear both.
A wool shirt, then a fleece overshirt, then a fleece sweatshirt, then a pair of carhartt bib overhauls on top. That combo served me well this week when the temperature hit -20 degrees with windchill up to -30.

To be honest in cold weather Im pickier about whats on my feet, gloves and head. If they arent well insulated its miserable.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Rancher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 10,484 Times in 3,421 Posts

Fleece Navidad
Fleece Navidad
Fleece Navidad
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas.

Seriously wool is warmer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ShellbackBill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercop View Post
Fleece is basically cotton and does not insulate when wet. One of my favorite, most inexpensive pieces of gear is the USGI wool watch cap.- George
Fleece is NOT cotton... n fact, it is a word used to describe a sheeps wool. Polar Fleece is a synthetic fabric made from Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or other synthetic fibers. It doesnt hold much water, and will still insulate when wet. It should be treated with a fire resistant coating however.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flyboyjake For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
Any clothing, while on fire, and while you are wearing it, will burn you.

Your point?
Poly fleece (as in polypro's) will actually melt to and stick to your skin. Just like Underarmor shirts, unless they are the fire treated kind, will.

A painful lesson learned on the battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtticusFinch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:13 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjake View Post
... Polar Fleece is a synthetic fabric made from Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or other synthetic fibers. It doesnt hold much water, and will still insulate when wet. It should be treated with a fire resistant coating however.
That is pretty cool.

It sounds like a petrochem.

Have you ever made any of it?
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Target Shooter

Absolutely agree Forestbeekeeper, as another woll producer and fibre artist.

I have found lots of wool undergarments while researching suitable clothing for a trip to Sweden, even woollen bras ........... although I would think them way too irritating.

Just one thing please try and buy only Merino items from ethical sources, as some producers do unspeakable things to the rear ends of sheep to prevent the wool from getting dirty.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Libellula For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM

I find that I prefer synthetics if I am going to be active, and wool if I am going to be standing around. Wool feels warmer, but synthetics seem like they regulate temperature better. That's the best way I can put how it feels to me.

Another disadvantage of the synthetics that I have not seen mentioned is they hold static electricity.

I also prefer the way natural clothing feels against my skin, so I tend use naturals as a base layer covered by synthetic, then natural, with a poly shell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seth Khan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,046 Times in 2,130 Posts

I will challenge anybody here to camp and hike with me up here in Wyoming in subzero temperatures.
I'll wear all my plastic and you can wear your wool. We'll be out for a couple days or more.
Besides smelling like a [email protected]#$%^& range maggot your clothing will either be soaked or frozen solid by tthe third day.
The modern synthetics are so vastly superior to wool it isn't even a consideration any more for the more experienced winter enthusiast!!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread