Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Duds..Opsec .22 ammo storage McGuyversurvivor Firearms General Discussion 6 01-25-2014 11:29 AM
American eagle 223 remington in the mini-ammo can kev Military Weapons Forum 17 11-09-2013 12:40 AM
Ruger mini 14 and steel cased ammo.. Beer Firearms General Discussion 19 08-15-2012 12:15 AM
The Mini-30 and Steel Cased Ammo? Carbine Cory Firearms General Discussion 23 08-12-2012 04:24 PM
Brass ammo for WASR and Mini-30? IL_Shooter Military Weapons Forum 20 04-11-2012 09:32 PM
Scope for a Mini 14... And what ammo? A-Team Rifle Forum 5 02-04-2012 06:59 PM
Ammo question for Mini 14 chas036 Rifle Forum 7 12-20-2011 02:59 PM
The Mini 30 & Steel Cased Ammo??? Dadnabit Rifle Forum 8 09-08-2011 02:46 PM
Wolf ammo/Mini 30 Peter Firearms General Discussion 22 06-05-2010 11:17 AM
mini 14 compatability with 5.56 ammo Virgil Military Weapons Forum 15 10-13-2009 06:29 PM

Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM

Default What is the best ammo for Mini 14?

Advertise Here

I am going to a gun show this saturday and I want to buy some ammo for my newly purchased Mini 14. What is the best .223 ammo for the price to look for? I want something that has a lot of stopping power. My main purpose for this rifle is home defense, and maybe taking out the occasional woodchuck or hog that gets to close. I have read that FMJ ammo is not good becuase they just go right through the target and don't do much damage. Also, what ammo should I stay away from?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 06:12 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas036 View Post
I am going to a gun show this saturday and I want to buy some ammo for my newly purchased Mini 14. What is the best .223 ammo for the price to look for? I want something that has a lot of stopping power. My main purpose for this rifle is home defense, and maybe taking out the occasional woodchuck or hog that gets to close. I have read that FMJ ammo is not good becuase they just go right through the target and don't do much damage. Also, what ammo should I stay away from?
I think you need to research that claim, anything moving at 3100fps be it a ball bearing or pencil is going to **** you up!!

When it comes down to it buy what you can afford and buy lots of it...

Wolf/tula/golden tiger all work just fine (my experience using them)

If your rifle has 1x7 twist use a heavier load
If it has 1x9 use lighter loads 55 grn etc
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM

How do I now what twist my rifle has? It is a brand new rilfe purchased last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,765 Times in 3,954 Posts

I would stay away from steel cased ammo, and buy mostly fmj and some hp ammo...if the goal is volume, milspec fmj all the way....

don't forget to buy factory ruger mags....

what model mini is it?

a buddy of mine had an older 180 series that he tried to shoot some hot milspec 'penetrator," ammo thru and busted his extractor....not sure about the new models, they should handle the loads...
Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote:
How do I now what twist my rifle has? It is a brand new rilfe purchased last week.
Don't quote me on it but its probably 1x9 twist.

A buddy of mine uses that as his go to rifle, before you commit to buying alot of a particular ammo buy some to test it out and see how it works, he also said tapco made some revisions and improvements to the mags they make for the mini-14.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Hiker

Ruger Mini 14's are not known for their accuracy so i would not concern myself with finding the ammo it shoot the most accurately. Find ammo that will function in the weapon properly and reliably and stock up. BTW, a hi power rifle is not a good home defense weapon, over penetration will be an issue with virtually all ammo for it. Get a shotgun or a pistol.

Ruger & His Guns by R.L. Wilson, page 151:
The Mini-14 Rifle
Introduced: 1975
Rifling: 6 grooves, right-hand twist, one turn in 10"; after 1988 twist changed to one in 7"; in mid-1994 twist changed to one in 9".

1978-1985 = 1 in 10" (e.g., 181 series)
1986-1994 = 1 in 7"
1995-2004 = 1 in 9" (e.g., 197 series).
2005- = 1 in 9"

Until 1987, the Mini-14 barrel had a 1-10" twist. It was then changed to 1-7" to stabilize the new 62 grain military bullet. The old 1-10" handled the 62 grain satisfactorily, but wasn't deemed good for the new tracer round.
Law enforcement agencies primarily use the 55 grain bullet and the CA Dept. of Correction complained that their Mini-14s would hold a 8-10" group at 100 yards and a 1-2" group at 50 yards. Ruger dispatched its Chief Armorer who examined the guns and ruled out the ammo. CDC had a national match level shooter who demonstrated that their guns wouldn't group.
So, Ruger procured firearms from Colt and concluded that Colt enjoyed no advantage over the Mini. Ruger engineers then concluded that the twist needed to be changed and sometime in 1996, the twist was changed to 1-9".

-Nate
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redranger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,663 Times in 3,315 Posts

Quote:

i havent read any of the answers to your question that others have posted.but here is the facts.

no one can truely answer your question about what ammo is best. ppl can warn you on what ammo to stay away from... like from some ammo from a 3rd world manufacturer that has alot of problems. but NO1 can tell you whats the best ammo for your weapon. most ppl dont know this so i will try to explain it.

if we both bought the same type/brand of weapon one was made right after the other. they are just alike in every possable way. we buy 5 different brands/weights of ammo. yours shoots an adverage of 2" grp @100 yrds with most of the ammo. but 1 brand lets say silverbear seems to jam ALOT in your weapon,you get 4" grps and it just dosent work well in your weapon however you shoot some wolf through it and you get 1" and it works GREAT!!! then i try with my weapon most of the ammo will shoot the same adverage of 2" but then i find that wolf is jamming, and i get 6" grps with it,BUT with the silverbear i get 1" grps and it works best in my weapon. the lesson here is not all weapons shoot alike useing the same ammo. they will all shoot an adverage accuracy with most ammo but they do have certain brands/weights that they really like ALOT while there are others that the weapon REALLY hates ALOT!!!

SO in order to answer your question on which ammo is best. you must ask your weapon that question out at the range... it will tell you what it likes and what it hates NO1 can tell you what ammo YOUR weapon likes the best, only you can find that info out.

i suggest you go out to the range and shoot about 300 rounds through it to get the weapon broken in then buy 5-8 brands/weights go out to the range and see what ammo proves to have the best grp @ 100yrds then zero your weapon to that ammo and only buy that ammo. now that dosent mean if you lock onto a really good deal on some other ammo not to jump on it.. you can always use it for practice if its cheap and works well in your weapon.

i dont know if you know anything about breaking in a brand new never fire weapon. a friend of mine who is a machineist suggested to me when breaking it in to clean the barrel after evey single shot for the 1st 10 shots. reason being that there could be small tiny metal slivers in the barrel from the machineing of the rifleing and every time you fire your weapon they vibrate loose and if you dont get them out before the next shot it can scare up your barrel with tiny little scares.the barrel should be ok and already clean BUT if you have ever worked in a factory you would know that things do slip by unnoticed from time to time . and knowing my luck i would get the one in 1000 that wasnt cleaned before shipped.

sidenote: price is really not an issue for accuracy nor does the fact of it being a hand loaded round.you may find that your weapon could like the cheaper ammo more than the extermely expensive ammo. i got lucky when i asked my weapon what it liked i found out it liked fusion $32 per box and federal power shok $15 per box so a choose to go with the federal. i would also look for hollow points or soft points .

i do partly disagree with redranger the min-14 can be made into a good accrurate weapon. getting the right ammo does help and is the 1st step
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote:
You'll find the answers to your questions in the links provided below:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/16_Ammunition.html

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

http://ammo.ar15.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4carbine.net
The best LE 5.56 mm/.223 loads for intermediate barrier penetration using 1/9 and faster twist barrels are the 5.56 mm Federal 62 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) bonded JSP (XM556FBIT3) and 5.56 mm Winchester 64 gr solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B) developed for the FBI, along with the outstanding new Black Hills 5.56 mm 50 gr TSX loading. Another acceptable 5.56 mm loading is the Speer 55 gr Gold Dot JSP; the Federal 5.56 mm 62 gr Mk318 Mod0 (T556TNB1) is also a potential option

In those situations where intermediate barrier penetration is not a critical requirement, for example LE urban entries or long range shots in open conditions, then OTM, JHP, and standard JSP loads can offer acceptable performance. For 1/7 twist barrels, the Hornady 75 gr OTM, Nosler 77 gr OTM, and Sierra 77 gr SMK OTM are all good choices. The experimental BH loaded 100 gr OTM exhibits impressive fragmentation, even at relatively low velocities, however while capable of shooting out to 600, it is optimized for 200 and under. If stuck with 1/9 twist barrels, the heavy 70+ gr loads are not universally accurate in all rifles and the 69 gr SMK OTM, the 68 gr Hornady OTM, the Winchester 64 gr JSP (RA223R2), the Federal 64 gr TRU (T223L) JSP, Hornady 60 gr JSP, are likely to run accurately in the majority of 1/9 twist rifles. Again it is critical to keep in mind that the above loads fail to offer adequate penetration through intermediate barriers.
Mini-14 has a 5.56 chamber and 1/9 barrel twist

I personally prefer W-W 64gr PowerPoint SP, 55gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Federal 64gr Tru
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,428 Times in 1,748 Posts

If you're talking about stockpiling it's hard to go wrong with M193. Cheap to buy in bulk (relatively), gets the job done, works well in any twist rate from 1:7 to 1:14. That last part makes it good for barter too.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMorden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

My 2 Mini14's eat anything. These are both the 581 series with improved barrel. Shoot mostly Russian steel, whatever I can get cheapest, lacquer coated, polymer coated, doesn't matter to me.

I guess if I were trying to maximize groups I'd do precise testing, but COM grouping up to 200 yards with iron sights is all I'm after. I do have scope on one of them, which does head size groups at 200 and small tin cans at 125. All with the cheap Russian stuff.

- OS
Old 11-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,631 Times in 26,377 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Mine shoots just about anything. I'ts always been .223 55gr. It'3 a 181 series.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG81 View Post
I think you need to research that claim, anything moving at 3100fps be it a ball bearing or pencil is going to **** you up!!

When it comes down to it buy what you can afford and buy lots of it...

Wolf/tula/golden tiger all work just fine (my experience using them)

If your rifle has 1x7 twist use a heavier load
If it has 1x9 use lighter loads 55 grn etc
FMJ is not the best projectile to use for self defense or hunting, its primary use is in warfare because it was deemed by the Hague Convention to be much less lethal than so-called "dum-dum" bullets. I shot a coyote with a 5.56 FMJ at a measured 125 yards, it knocked him off his feet, but he jumped right up and looked around like he was thinking "WTF". He then ran up to the top of a hill, and was sky-lighted, so I couldn't take the chance of shooting him again. I got him a few months later and performed a necropsy on him. There was a knitting needle thin strip of scar tissue transecting from the left side, through both lungs, and leaving a dime size exit scar on the right side. Not exactly what I would want to use in self defense. I have shot coyotes with Hornady's V-Max in approximately the same spot that dropped them in their tracks, and turned their insides to something resembling strawberry jam. I think I would much rather have one of those unless the target was wearing body armor.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Not To Reason Why...

Thanked 1,510 Times in 751 Posts

Mine is a '79 production and is good with 55gr FMJ, however the military rounds M193 and M855 seem too hot for this rifle. (giant fireball and more kick) thus more wear and tear so I'd go with 55gr FMJ Remington ammo the green and white box or similar. Hornady 55gr Vmax is good too.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyle1337 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncharlie View Post
FMJ is not the best projectile to use for self defense or hunting, i.... I have shot coyotes with Hornady's V-Max in approximately the same spot that dropped them in their tracks, and turned their insides to something resembling strawberry jam. I think I would much rather have one of those unless the target was wearing body armor.
Probably any soft point round would have dropped him with same shot as the one that didn't with the FMJ, even the cheap Russian stuff.

We can't hunt with FMJ in TN, not even 'yotes. I think it's more of an assumed safety to other humans thing than humane game kill thing though.

- OS
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Hunter

My first bulk purchase will be the best deal I can find on the M193. I've shot many brands through my Mini and I get consistent results out or everything I've put through it. From Lake City 855 and 193 to American Eagle, Herters, Silver bear, Tulammo and Winchester. I like the ballistics of the Winchester 64 gr softpoint better than anything else I've read, but it is expensive. The M193 will do just fine for my purposes.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 PM

I have seen some cheap prices for Tula ammo. Is this a good ammo, or something I should stay away from?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Camper #9

PMC-55gr FMJ-Boat tail bullet - Cheap, fairly clean, accurate @ 200yds and reliable. Packed tight in a case too, so a stockpile of high numbers doesn't take up much room.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Quote:
I have seen some cheap prices for Tula ammo. Is this a good ammo, or something I should stay away from?
I shoot a lot of it. Bout cheapest there is locally, at Wally's - price can just barely be beat with bulk orders on line.

Never had a dud, seems consistently loaded enough.

- OS
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,428 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncharlie View Post
FMJ is not the best projectile to use for self defense or hunting, its primary use is in warfare because it was deemed by the Hague Convention to be much less lethal than so-called "dum-dum" bullets. I shot a coyote with a 5.56 FMJ at a measured 125 yards, it knocked him off his feet, but he jumped right up and looked around like he was thinking "WTF". He then ran up to the top of a hill, and was sky-lighted, so I couldn't take the chance of shooting him again. I got him a few months later and performed a necropsy on him. There was a knitting needle thin strip of scar tissue transecting from the left side, through both lungs, and leaving a dime size exit scar on the right side. Not exactly what I would want to use in self defense. I have shot coyotes with Hornady's V-Max in approximately the same spot that dropped them in their tracks, and turned their insides to something resembling strawberry jam. I think I would much rather have one of those unless the target was wearing body armor.
He had holes through both lungs and didn't die in MONTHS? Something is wrong with this story.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Prepared

I dont shoot my mini enough but I do love PMC ammo. I have gotton sub MOA groups with this ammo shooting 3 shot groups at 100 yards on more than one occasion. This is the only ammo I have tried MOA shooting with. My buddy also shot sub MOA with this ammo in my gun, so it isnt just me.

I just had my first jam ever with my mini 14 this last weekend using steel cased ammo. I think it was tulu, tulo, or something like that. I dont plan on using it again as I love PMC. It is cheap enough, yet still has great accuracy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberuser For This Useful Post: