Survivalist Forum banner

My BOB and where should I get supplies!

14K views 59 replies 40 participants last post by  Matty 
#1 · (Edited)
My BOB. A SCENARIO. SUPPLIES. KATRINA FOLKS? GUNS

37 male 30 female and a 2 month old and a two year old. After reading this wonderful forum I made a BOB for me and my wife. What do you think of my supplies. This would be used as a throw on your back kit and leave everything else behind.

2 large Alice packs no frames.
diapers
fire started and lighters
emergency crank radio
walkie talkies
1 set of clothes for each person, long pants
medicine for 1 week, misc, and presription.i have health problems, asthma
formula for baby
baby bottles
32 pistol with 60 rounds
m4 with 300 rounds
canteens
2 mre's
2 cheap knifes
store bought survival kit prepackaged
boots
emergency poncho's
iodine water tabs
extra batteries
compass
Florida map

i would like to add a survival 22 like the henry arms, this would fit in my pack, sound like a good choice? I have many guns and alot of ammo for each. ak's, 1911's, glocks, 38's, 357's, shotguns and more.
Any other supplies you think is a must? Where to buy online?
Anybody know how the busses worked in Katrina? Did they let you take a backpack, did they search? Were there tent cities and sheltors Did they search? What was provided in the shelters? Do I need a tent, sleeping bags, etc. I am not going unarmed! I am a little screwed becasue i have small kids to work with, there protection and survival is my upmost concern!

Here is my scenario that i think is real possible in Florida.
Something happens in the area, dirty bomb, chemical spill and most of Florida must head north. I would probably be stuck in traffic for a day or two and would have to live out of my hummer. I was thinking that the government would bring in busses to evac people that were gridlocked in traffic and we would have to get on a bus. I wouldn’t want to ditch my M4 but they probably wouldn’t allow it on the bus. The other option would be camping on the side of the road or hoofing it. Does that seem like a very likely situation? I can only carry so much on foot. I'm a little perplexed.:xeye

See less See more
#2 ·
I can only help you with some of your questions.

If you are looking for a survival .22 rifle I recommend the Marlin Papoose over the AR-7. For cheap fixed blades I recommend the Frost of Sweden Moras. There are a ton of places to buy the items you mentioned online, I am of course biased but I recommend www.EDCdepot.com, Cheaperthandirt.com, Cabelas, CampingSurvival.com just to name of few. One recommendation on the packs. Try to get something that does not scream military. I would want something that will help me blend in. The last thing I want to do is being wearing BDUs and carrying a military style pack.

#3 ·
There are others here with more expertise than me about BOB's and I'm sure they'll contribute here to your benefit, but two things immediately jump out at me:

1. "Cheap knives" Cheap knives are, at best useless, and at worst, dangerous. Get at least one high quality blade, and more than likely two...one fixed, full-tang, and the other a folder. Again, there are members here who will offer better advice than I can on this, I'm sure.

2. "store bought survival kit prepackaged" What are the contents of this?

Reactions: AKpredator
#4 ·
the survival kit has the standard items, small first aid stuff, fire starter material, fishing hooks and line, compass, survival book,some paracord, flashlight, blankets, whistle etc.

On the army back pack, yes it looks like were in the military but the packs are cheap and work great and are comfortable. Why not use them?

#5 ·
A Hummer? Yikes...if you have to bug-out how far would you have to travel? (There's someplace specific that you're headed, I trust?) Is fuel for that beast going to be an issue for you?

I would get a proper full-sized first aid kit. Many people recommend making one yourself, that way you can guarantee quality contents that are tailored to your specific environment and situation. Myself, I started with an Adventure Medical kit and "personalized" it.

As part of your plan, have you considered the challenges involved (especially with two young ones) in travelling on foot...if you have to abandon the Hummer for some reason?

Further to my "cheap knives" comment...do you mean cheap or do you mean inexpensive? Poor quality knives aren't worth anything. If you've managed to obtain decent quality blades inexpensively, that's entirely different.

#7 ·
well i was going to throw a 5 gallon can in the back, with a full tank and the can i could go 300 miles, maybe 220 if i was stuck in traffic. i have a mini van but i could NOT see taking that over my hummer. no i dont have a place to go, i would just head north untill they said it was safe, maybe find a motel or something. The kids on foot would be hell! I dont know where to begin with that. They are small and cranky and have been raised indoors with all the comforts. In the hummer i could go through things most couldnt, in a blocked highway I think this would be a plus. PS. I did order a seal pup SOG knife.

#9 ·
Yes, I think you're right about travelling with the children. I don't have any magical solutions to that. Maybe some of the other members here with children can help out in that regard.

I think your "bug-out-to-a-motel" plan may work for local/regional emergencies, but in a wide-spread SHTF situation you're going to be in a world of hurt...you'd just be going from one disaster area to another. I'd give this aspect some more thought and planning.

How far would that Hummer go on 5 gal of gas? Not too far, I'm guessing. I'm also not sure how practical or safe it would be to have it inside the vehicle.

#10 ·
in a wide spread situation i would bug in. If it was a katrina like or dirty bomb scenario I would leave if my bug in place would be more dangerous. The hummer is the truck version, fuel would be safe back there with some of them nato metal cans, 5 gal would get me maybe 45 miles. Yes it sucks. Kids make it hard. What do I do, lay down and die, NO, i would want to do something. Maybe secure my house more, but I wanted a pack up and leave scenario. Buying land out of state or back in the woods is not available to me. I dont want to be a sheep but with kids it puts me in that class. This is why I am perplexed.

#13 ·
get frames for the packs and make sure both you and your wife can hump them, also invest in a jogging stroller if your kid can fit in it. it'll pull bdl duty. between the two kids theyll be stroller bound by 1/4 mile in,and it can carry some of their basic needs. If not youl be stuck carrying them somehow...
just some thoughts YMMV

#14 ·
on knifesupplycompany.com you can get a cold steel GI tanto for about 25 bucks. Its a very nice knife. Stays sharp and is very strong. i have gone in one day to chopping trees, to cleaning fish, to cutting pork loin for pork chops. Only had to sharpen once.and that was after the trees but I had no dings or anything on the blade. It was sharp enough to clean fish but I like to make sure.

#17 ·
surplus store here in central florida suck, they have gone to paintball **** and police duty gear. Went to 4 of them and not one had an MRE.
The alice pack frames , what do they do? I never wore a pack in my life till yesterday i filled it up, no frame and it is very comfortable. Are they water resistant?

what is the best ammo to use in the ar-7, thats the henry arms one right?

#18 ·
go hump that ruck then tell me its comfy ;)

there is a hike meet/greet coming up in central fla. if your from Otown its a 40 minute drive. you'll learn more in 2 days than all youll read here/web IMHO!
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=16246

the frame spread that weight out over your body. picture this 70 lbs of dead weight,, then make that same 70 lbs feel like 30... thats what a good frame/suspension will do to a pack thats sized correctly to your torso!

#25 · (Edited)
get for what to fill them?
water- a filter- nalgene's or canteens or bladders
food- anything fast cooking and not canned goods
shelter- tant or tarp - tent keep it under 5 lbs.. tarps i aint talking blue walmart specials. keep it under 1 lb
sides that a compass,FAK, spair socks,kinfe youll be pretty much set as your basics are already covered.

5'11 250 aint to big if your workinging out. if your 250 of fat well..start working out.

boots-
me im partial to merrels and bellville issue boots but thats me. any good supported low rise or mid length boot is fine for down here. trail runners will work as well . all matters on what you like.
i use merrel moab ventilators, low rise's. i want the 3/4 mids, only to help keep sand out, but some of the best feeling boots ive worn so far.

#20 ·
our mil surplus stores are descent we have one that sells class3 firearms, i bought my mosins there and spent less then $300 for three of them, i also put my web gear together for less then $20 with two canteens, covers, 6 ammo pouches for 25cents each and a pouch for my first aid kit. also bought a flare pistol and a 12ga convertor for $40 bucks it also came with carrying case that holds a ton of flares.

#26 ·
Becareful of some of the gear you buy at Walmart. There is a big difference between being sturdy and inexpensive and being inferior and and cheap. This does not mean I look down my nose at any type of gear someone buys at Walmart, but it depends on what it is exactly.

I'll usually buy ammunition, medical supplies, Dickies work clothing (very tough stuff and less than $20 for any article of clothing), Athletic Works moisture wicking compression clothing, Coleman camp stoves and fuel, matches, lighters, candles, lamp oil, oil lamps, and such.

I've used one of their 6x8 camp tarps until it finally gave up the ghost after 3 years of use. Now I replaced it with an Equinox 10x10 coated nylon tarp for $35 and it is head and shoulders above any tarp you could buy at Walmart.

This place has some pretty good gear for budget minded folks:

www.campmor.com

#23 ·
Having used both medium and large ALICE packs for most of my woods bumming experiences, I can tell you this: Upgrade the suspension system! While the standard issue shoulder straps, waist belt and frame are serviceable, they can get to be down right uncomfortable at times. Depending on your budget, there are a few replacement systems on the market right now. Tactical Tailor and Eagle Industries both make replacement shoulder straps and waist belts which offer far more padding and comfort. I think a complete set would run $60, but don’t quote me on this. High Speed Gear Incorporated (HSGI) makes a complete padding system for the issue ALICE frame called an AliPad, which retails for $85. I bought one of these a few months back and it does improve the comfort level, but I haven’t really gotten it broken in yet. The padding is still a bit stiff and needs to be worked over by getting out on the trail some more. All of these are nothing more than band aids to the issue ALICE frame system. For a complete overhaul, Mystery Ranch makes the NICE frame and I hear it is head and shoulders above all other ALICE frame upgrades. This frame can be used for other back pack systems or even as a cargo hauler by attaching a shelf to the frame. However, the sticker price of $250 to $300 (there are two styles of the frame) might not make it a viable option.

I read in one of your posts that you do not have a place to go to, but will stay in a motel somewhere until things blow over. Do not go this route! Motels and hotels will be sought after by everyone and can cost $100+ a night in some places. While this may not be bad for a day or two, imagine staying there for over a week! A far better choice is to utilize camp grounds. Here in PA you can rent a camping spot for $13 a night and be in close proximity to toilets, showers, and water from a faucet. Find several campgrounds you can go to and be sure to fully check them out so you know the lay of the land. Know what stores are in the area and where they are located incase you need to replentish your supplies. In addition to your BOBs, also have some kits to throw into your vehicle to take to the camp ground. Include some tents, tarps (for outdoor work areas), camp stoves and fuel (firewood may not be available), totes with easy to prepare foods, extra clothing, and plenty of cash. I would try to bring at least $1,000. While this is not a perfect survival plan, it is better than other alternatives.

#24 ·
I would probably be stuck in traffic for a day or two and would have to live out of my hummer.
Do you own a hummer for bugout or for daily driver?

Civilian humvee would not make even the bottom of my top 10 4x4 vehicles for bugout, in fact I would probably steal a 1972 crown victoria taxi-cab before a hummer. Why?

- Independent front suspension reduces articulation and ground clearance.
- Sloppy 4x4 system including open front diff.
- Terrible ground clearance and wheel travel.
- Very heavy, 8,000 lbs!
- wide and tall, not very nimble for negotiating tight spaces.
- Poor 4-corner visibility.
- less than 14 mpg gas mileage

#27 ·
re

I understand your problem I have a 4 and 7 yr old. I did have lumber and firewood stored up and alot of tools and a fairly large garden and a huge upright freezer at home until I lost the house.....rented the place for five years never late with rent but landlord didn't keep up with the bank payment got forclosed on, so now I live in a small two bedroom apartment complex, only stuff I have is regular camping and fishing equipment. luckly I have a place to go if local shtf happens, long time close friend has 3 sections of land that been in the family for 5 generations cattle, hogs, chickens and ponds and trees. but with the kids in tow and if we had to be on foot it would take several days to get there compared to 20minutes by car. plus I live on the edge of town so it will be easier to leave compared to being in the middle of town. if the paved roads are close there are alway the dirt roads and fields to cross

#28 ·
Ok You first priority is the children.

How do you transport them and yourselves?

I have a 2 year old so its not as drastic but still not great.

What about rigging one of those kiddy carriers that fits behind a bicycle usually

http://www.bicycletrailers.com/For-Children/Child-Bike-Trailers/index.cat?viewall=1

Now I know these arent cheap but its your children.

You could take the hummer as far as you could go before gas runs out then transfer the kids into the trailer , wear your packs and pull your kids.
The trailer could carry all of their supplies so making your packs lighter or giving you more room for other gear.

The only other way would be to have packs and each carry a child in a carrier on the front but this would get bad pretty quick!

Or even carry bikes on the roof rack and use bikes cause after the SHTF theres gonna be very little gas around anyway.

Hope this helps

#29 ·
At least you will have a head start on all the people in south Florida. How many miles is it to Georgia? I lived in south West Palm Beach county for 5 years about 20 years ago and had small children back then. It was so crowded during rush hour that it would take a hour to go 5 miles daily(rubberneckers). I had nightmares about getting out of there in a bad situation.I do think your situation isnt that bad in the Orlando area as you have a head start on over half of Florida and the terrain north of your area is at least campable if you need to pull off the road. Does the Hummer have a winch?for off roading that could save your butt if you pull off the road in a big traffic jam to save fuel. You have a good start on your preps just keep at it adding a little every month and pre plan your bug out with the wife.Take the map and take a few sunday after noon rides on the backroads. Florida is set up with a few main arteries and it would be good to know some of the off the beaten track roads.
Dont get on a bus unless it is your last resort!

#31 ·
Wow I can't believe how many people are dogging out the Hummer. I spend 8 1/2hr a day in a Crown Vic. A buddy of mine has a 3 or 4yr H2 and I would take that any day to bug out in then my Crown Vic. Ground clearance??? It definately has more that a car. It turns pretty tight. Also the OP said he can carry gas in the bed too. With a few 5 gal cans he probably has more range than most people in cars.

Do you really think he is going to go trade in the Hummer simply for bug out reasons? Lets focus on things that can actually help him.

If you are having trouble with surplus stores have you tried outdoor recreation stores like REI, Dicks, ect. I don't know what all you have down there but you should be able to find nice outdoor equipment (packs, stoves, clothes) at a good outdoor store.

#32 ·
The things that jump immediately out at me are the guns, the lack of food and the medicine. If you're going to be bugging out anywhere another person may see you especially in a katrina type situation with lots of national guard and the like floating about the m4 is going to make you stick out like a sore thumb and is at best going to get you arrested and your gun taken away (it happened during katrina) and at worst shot. Additionally the 32 pistol should probably be traded in for either the 1911's or the glocks(assuming they are 9mil 40, or 45) In a bugout situations you may need to replenish your supplies via foraging, looting or other methods and having more common calibers will make this easier. As far as your food goes i am unsure of how far you plan on going but two mre's are not going to get you very far. Mre's also tend to be very heavy and bulky i would get rid of those in favor of lighter smaller foods high in caloric value that you can carry more of. There's a thread about olive oil that you would probably find interesting do a search for "old commando trick" or something along those lines i think that's what it was under. As far as your medicine goes you don't know how long you will have to be bugged out for so i would probably rethink the 1 week supply. I also noticed your iodine tabs for water purification. I personally am always wary of chemical purification and would look into a katadyn or similar pump type water filter. As far as other ideas for gear there's been a million or so threads on the same subject so use of the search function will yield all sorts of great ideas and likely some not so great ones as well. That having been said, gear is all well a good, however it only lasts so long and is subject to being lost, broken, stolen etc. You should have a good set of skills to back it all up just in case. Learn how to make a snare, learn to identify wild edibles, learn to make a bowdrill fire and build a wiki up or debris hut, learn to clean and prepare wild game. Knowledge can never be taken away and can sustain you better than the most expensive or high tech doodad, if you care about your family educate yourself and your wife and when your children get older educate them as well. If nothing else those family camping trips will be great time spent together in the outdoors.
Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.