My BOB and where should I get supplies! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you really have enough 1st aid supplies? WTXD Health, Fitness and First Aid 21 05-14-2013 05:59 AM
Bath Bombs made from supplies (used outdated supplies) Zalam Ladies Section 6 12-30-2012 11:12 AM
DR supplies HTNFSH Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 05-11-2012 02:56 PM
What if they come for your supplies? nexusq2 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 64 01-11-2012 04:45 PM
Last run for supplies... Tampagt07 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 92 09-18-2011 05:25 AM
need help with supplies bigluelok Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 07-18-2011 12:01 PM
Use your HSA to buy first aid supplies by 1/1/11 Moose711 Financial Forum 9 12-26-2010 07:41 PM
My supplies Sporadica Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 09-10-2010 10:58 PM
First aid supplies KODIAKHERSHEY Health, Fitness and First Aid 11 07-09-2010 07:45 PM

Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM

Default My BOB. A SCENARIO. SUPPLIES. KATRINA FOLKS? GUNS

Advertise Here

37 male 30 female and a 2 month old and a two year old. After reading this wonderful forum I made a BOB for me and my wife. What do you think of my supplies. This would be used as a throw on your back kit and leave everything else behind.

2 large Alice packs no frames.
diapers
fire started and lighters
emergency crank radio
walkie talkies
1 set of clothes for each person, long pants
medicine for 1 week, misc, and presription.i have health problems, asthma
formula for baby
baby bottles
32 pistol with 60 rounds
m4 with 300 rounds
canteens
2 mre's
2 cheap knifes
store bought survival kit prepackaged
boots
emergency poncho's
iodine water tabs
extra batteries
compass
Florida map

i would like to add a survival 22 like the henry arms, this would fit in my pack, sound like a good choice? I have many guns and alot of ammo for each. ak's, 1911's, glocks, 38's, 357's, shotguns and more.
Any other supplies you think is a must? Where to buy online?
Anybody know how the busses worked in Katrina? Did they let you take a backpack, did they search? Were there tent cities and sheltors Did they search? What was provided in the shelters? Do I need a tent, sleeping bags, etc. I am not going unarmed! I am a little screwed becasue i have small kids to work with, there protection and survival is my upmost concern!

Here is my scenario that i think is real possible in Florida.
Something happens in the area, dirty bomb, chemical spill and most of Florida must head north. I would probably be stuck in traffic for a day or two and would have to live out of my hummer. I was thinking that the government would bring in busses to evac people that were gridlocked in traffic and we would have to get on a bus. I wouldn’t want to ditch my M4 but they probably wouldn’t allow it on the bus. The other option would be camping on the side of the road or hoofing it. Does that seem like a very likely situation? I can only carry so much on foot. I'm a little perplexed.:xeye

Last edited by guitarman357; 07-23-2008 at 01:05 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,034 Times in 704 Posts

I can only help you with some of your questions.

If you are looking for a survival .22 rifle I recommend the Marlin Papoose over the AR-7. For cheap fixed blades I recommend the Frost of Sweden Moras. There are a ton of places to buy the items you mentioned online, I am of course biased but I recommend www.EDCdepot.com, Cheaperthandirt.com, Cabelas, CampingSurvival.com just to name of few. One recommendation on the packs. Try to get something that does not scream military. I would want something that will help me blend in. The last thing I want to do is being wearing BDUs and carrying a military style pack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpdogs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 9,211 Times in 4,050 Posts

There are others here with more expertise than me about BOB's and I'm sure they'll contribute here to your benefit, but two things immediately jump out at me:

1. "Cheap knives" Cheap knives are, at best useless, and at worst, dangerous. Get at least one high quality blade, and more than likely two...one fixed, full-tang, and the other a folder. Again, there are members here who will offer better advice than I can on this, I'm sure.

2. "store bought survival kit prepackaged" What are the contents of this?
The Following User Says Thank You to 357revolverfan For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM

the survival kit has the standard items, small first aid stuff, fire starter material, fishing hooks and line, compass, survival book,some paracord, flashlight, blankets, whistle etc.

On the army back pack, yes it looks like were in the military but the packs are cheap and work great and are comfortable. Why not use them?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:30 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

A Hummer? Yikes...if you have to bug-out how far would you have to travel? (There's someplace specific that you're headed, I trust?) Is fuel for that beast going to be an issue for you?

I would get a proper full-sized first aid kit. Many people recommend making one yourself, that way you can guarantee quality contents that are tailored to your specific environment and situation. Myself, I started with an Adventure Medical kit and "personalized" it.

As part of your plan, have you considered the challenges involved (especially with two young ones) in travelling on foot...if you have to abandon the Hummer for some reason?

Further to my "cheap knives" comment...do you mean cheap or do you mean inexpensive? Poor quality knives aren't worth anything. If you've managed to obtain decent quality blades inexpensively, that's entirely different.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Young Blood

Thanked 1,680 Times in 738 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

at wallmart you can get a good buck fixed blade for like 40 dollars, hopes this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Brother Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM

well i was going to throw a 5 gallon can in the back, with a full tank and the can i could go 300 miles, maybe 220 if i was stuck in traffic. i have a mini van but i could NOT see taking that over my hummer. no i dont have a place to go, i would just head north untill they said it was safe, maybe find a motel or something. The kids on foot would be hell! I dont know where to begin with that. They are small and cranky and have been raised indoors with all the comforts. In the hummer i could go through things most couldnt, in a blocked highway I think this would be a plus. PS. I did order a seal pup SOG knife.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM

would that papoose fit in a large alice pack? why that one over the henry arms? I cant seem to find that papoose around here.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Yes, I think you're right about travelling with the children. I don't have any magical solutions to that. Maybe some of the other members here with children can help out in that regard.

I think your "bug-out-to-a-motel" plan may work for local/regional emergencies, but in a wide-spread SHTF situation you're going to be in a world of hurt...you'd just be going from one disaster area to another. I'd give this aspect some more thought and planning.

How far would that Hummer go on 5 gal of gas? Not too far, I'm guessing. I'm also not sure how practical or safe it would be to have it inside the vehicle.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357revolverfan View Post
Yes, I think you're right about travelling with the children. I don't have any magical solutions to that. Maybe some of the other members here with children can help out in that regard.

I think your "bug-out-to-a-motel" plan may work for local/regional emergencies, but in a wide-spread SHTF situation you're going to be in a world of hurt...you'd just be going from one disaster area to another. I'd give this aspect some more thought and planning.

How far would that Hummer go on 5 gal of gas? Not too far, I'm guessing. I'm also not sure how practical or safe it would be to have it inside the vehicle.
in a wide spread situation i would bug in. If it was a katrina like or dirty bomb scenario I would leave if my bug in place would be more dangerous. The hummer is the truck version, fuel would be safe back there with some of them nato metal cans, 5 gal would get me maybe 45 miles. Yes it sucks. Kids make it hard. What do I do, lay down and die, NO, i would want to do something. Maybe secure my house more, but I wanted a pack up and leave scenario. Buying land out of state or back in the woods is not available to me. I dont want to be a sheep but with kids it puts me in that class. This is why I am perplexed.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:12 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman357 View Post
in a wide spread situation i would bug in. If it was a katrina like or dirty bomb scenario I would leave if my bug in place would be more dangerous. The hummer is the truck version, fuel would be safe back there with some of them nato metal cans, 5 gal would get me maybe 45 miles. Yes it sucks. Kids make it hard. What do I do, lay down and die, NO, i would want to do something. Maybe secure my house more, but I wanted a pack up and leave scenario. Buying land out of state or back in the woods is not available to me. I dont want to be a sheep but with kids it puts me in that class. This is why I am perplexed.
Yeah, I can relate. I'm also planning to Bug-in. If I have to Bug-out, I'll be okay if the roads here are passable...for the most part, because I'm already in the country, I should be okay. On foot...my girlfriend presents certain problems; not insurmountable, but problems nonetheless. We play with the cards we're dealt.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,034 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
would that papoose fit in a large alice pack? why that one over the henry arms? I cant seem to find that papoose around here.
The AR-7 does break down to a smaller package but it has reliability issues and ammo sensitivity. I believe the Marlin Papoose is also called the Marline 70PPS. It breaks down to a relativel small package.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

get frames for the packs and make sure both you and your wife can hump them, also invest in a jogging stroller if your kid can fit in it. it'll pull bdl duty. between the two kids theyll be stroller bound by 1/4 mile in,and it can carry some of their basic needs. If not youl be stuck carrying them somehow...
just some thoughts YMMV
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM

on knifesupplycompany.com you can get a cold steel GI tanto for about 25 bucks. Its a very nice knife. Stays sharp and is very strong. i have gone in one day to chopping trees, to cleaning fish, to cutting pork loin for pork chops. Only had to sharpen once.and that was after the trees but I had no dings or anything on the blade. It was sharp enough to clean fish but I like to make sure.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,197 Posts

If you don't have a static point to go to,don't bug out.You'll end up a refugee.Either get land,or figure out somebody's place they'll let you go to.
I'd think seriously about ditching the Hummer,and getting something with greater range.
The Following User Says Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Trapper

mil-surps stores have good deals on survival gear.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM

surplus store here in central florida suck, they have gone to paintball **** and police duty gear. Went to 4 of them and not one had an MRE.
The alice pack frames , what do they do? I never wore a pack in my life till yesterday i filled it up, no frame and it is very comfortable. Are they water resistant?

what is the best ammo to use in the ar-7, thats the henry arms one right?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

Quote:
surplus store here in central florida suck, they have gone to paintball **** and police duty gear. Went to 4 of them and not one had an MRE.
The alice pack frames , what do they do? I never wore a pack in my life till yesterday i filled it up, no frame and it is very comfortable. Are they water resistant?

what is the best ammo to use in the ar-7, thats the henry arms one right?
go hump that ruck then tell me its comfy

there is a hike meet/greet coming up in central fla. if your from Otown its a 40 minute drive. you'll learn more in 2 days than all youll read here/web IMHO!
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=16246

the frame spread that weight out over your body. picture this 70 lbs of dead weight,, then make that same 70 lbs feel like 30... thats what a good frame/suspension will do to a pack thats sized correctly to your torso!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM

what would i get, i am big 5-11 250lbs, my wife is 130 6ft. i have 2 large alice packs.

Also, what is a good pair of boots?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Trapper

our mil surplus stores are descent we have one that sells class3 firearms, i bought my mosins there and spent less then $300 for three of them, i also put my web gear together for less then $20 with two canteens, covers, 6 ammo pouches for 25cents each and a pouch for my first aid kit. also bought a flare pistol and a 12ga convertor for $40 bucks it also came with carrying case that holds a ton of flares.