Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oats Durgan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 12 11-19-2014 12:55 PM
Inland Sea Oats / River Oats / Wood Oats tigsteele Edible & Non-Edible Plants 2 12-01-2013 11:29 AM
Cooking a meal in Tudor times: from starting the fire to menu and cooking. Kansas Terri General Discussion 1 11-10-2013 11:02 AM
Oats ExecuteQuery Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 53 10-05-2013 11:52 PM
LTS - Rolled Oats Rutger Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 05-04-2013 10:35 PM
Whole oats fhhunt Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 02-14-2013 09:19 AM
Feed oats .. lildrestl3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-18-2011 01:03 PM
Oats! speedofl33t Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 08-30-2010 01:27 AM
How can I use whole oats Old Warrior Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 02-06-2010 05:53 PM
Just got a flaker for oats mandomaj Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 04-05-2009 01:23 PM

Old 09-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Research, Learn, Share

Default Cooking with oats

Advertise Here

I've found oats to be a good substitute for rice and bread crumbs in a number of recipes. Adding them to any soup turns it into more of a stew. They take on the flavor of the dish and don't add much flavor on their own, unless you toast them first - then they get a nice nutty flavor.

Tuna or Salmon cakes:

2 cups rolled oats (instant or standard)
1 6oz can water packed tuna or salmon
Salt, pepper, garlic or onion powder - to taste
Veggie flakes (optional)

Put the oats and the fish (undrained) into a bowl and mix well with a fork to get the moisture and the fish .evenly distributed. If it looks dry, add water, a little bit at a time, mixing well before adding more. Add salt, chosen spices, and veggie flakes mix well again and let sit for a couple of minutes, so the flavors meld.

Shape into cakes and heat in a frying pan for about 2 minutes per side on med-high heat, pressing down with a spatula. If using a non-stick pan, no oil is needed. In not, put a little oil in and brush a small amount on the up side, so you don't have to bother re-oiling as you flip them. I use a small piece of paper towel for this. Make the outside as crispy as you like. They are great with a bit of hot sauce.

Pan-cooked oatmeal cookies
-Rolled oats
-Raisins
-Nuts and seeds: chopped walnuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds. Whichever you like or any combo
-3 drops vanilla extract and your choice of sweetener - I add it to the water before, so it's dissolved.
-Cinnamon

Mix a cup of rolled oats with about half the water that the package calls for. Add the sweetened water with the vanilla and mix thoroughly. Check the moisture, if too dry, add a bit more water. They should not be sloppy, more the consistency of bought cookie dough. Add the raisins and nuts, if you like.

Roll into balls and flatten to about 1/4 inch and place into the pan. If the dough is not too wet, you won't need any shortening in the pan. Cook for about 2 min per side. Then sprinkle a bit of sugar in the pan and put cookies on top of it. The sugar will caramelize and give them a sweet crust.

Fast and Hearty Bean and Bacon Stew
- Can of your favorite Bean and Bacon soup - prepared per the instructions on the can.
- Rolled oats ( as much or little as needed to thicken the soup to your taste.

I usually toast the oats for this. Just put them in a frying pan over medium heat and toast them as you would breadcrumbs. Then add them to your hot soup and let them cook in for about 3 minutes. You can get two filling meals out of this. Again, add anything you like to spice it up.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shorebird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,439 Times in 3,289 Posts

I have used oats in many ground meat recipies. I have used oats in breads, rolls, pizza dough, muffins, cookies and tarts.

I have used oats to thicken apple pie and in dutch crunch for the tops of fruit pies.

I've used oats in bread stuffings for most meats.

I've used oat flour to coat meats for frying.

Oats are good and versitile.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 06:01 PM

You can use them as a 50/50 replacement as bread crumbs in meatloaf and no one will ever even know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackman72 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,025 Times in 3,383 Posts

Yes! to all of the posts. Oats can be used ina variety of nutritious ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM

i had just bought some tvp (soya bean product less the oil) and had made two batches of patties with it. have since found out soy milk, tofu and tvp are not good for you at all so will use oatmeal instead.
Looking fwd to trying the recipes
The Following User Says Thank You to hush For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Target Shooter

What a great OP - I'm going to try some of these!
The Following User Says Thank You to medicineball For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 PM

Hadn't thought of using oat flour to coat meats- I'll give that a try. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Trapper

I put oatmeal in my kids fruit/yogurt smoothies. They never noticed until they started making them on thier own and I had them follow my recipe.