Survivalist Forum banner

Do you use your BOB or is it dedicated?

12K views 64 replies 61 participants last post by  dstra 
#1 ·
Question. Those of you that keep a ready-made kit on hand. Do you cycle through the contents, or use them for things like camping, hiking, etc? (and then put them back in the BOB when you are done)

Or maybe do you have duplicates of certain items that you use for day-to-day purposes, reserving the kit in your BOB only for an emergency?

I can see the importance of having one bag, always ready to go. No having to worry about "did I replace that?" or "****, I used the flashlight last power outage and didn't replace the batteries" etc. However, it means that you need to have duplicates of a lot of stuff, no?

#3 ·
I use mine, if I want to go camping, I just chuck it in the truck and I'm gone.
It has everything I need, only thing I don't use in it while camping is the food.
That way, I know what I have and what condition it is in.

#4 ·
My main BOB doesn't see much use but my rucksack and my patrol pack do. I use my PP all the time when I hike, rucksack a little less. Often both of these will come along camping, always at least one or the other. I just make sure to replace everything after each trip. I look at it this way, consumables are meant to be used and replaced. If not then they're wasted.

#6 ·
My main Ruck is a new USMC Molle Ruck set. I know these have had some bad press, but I really like my set. I have never had a problem with anything. I also have 6 complete Large Alice sets with frames and straps. These are great, and very reliable. The Molle system is just so much more comfortable to me.

#7 ·
Truck get home bag isn't used except for its stated purpose.

My GOOD equipment is enhanced camping equipment, so it gets used from time to time.

There are some duplicates and even more of similar items in different bags.

Reactions: arleigh
#8 ·
i use mine all the time. it goes campin, huntin, and on hikes w me.
usin it is the only way i know of ta make sure it works,
have made numerous changes in it over the years and have pretty much got what i need now. easiest way i know ta keep stuff in it rotated is to use it and replace it

#10 ·
I look at it like this...

If the worst should happen, there's no knowing when or if you will be able to replace worn out gear. I don't want to begin my survival situation with gear that is already half way through its own life. My BOB is for emergency use only, and it remains in pristine condition.

I have separate, cheaper gear for recreational camping.

#12 · (Edited)
i use mine all the time. it goes campin, huntin, and on hikes w me.
usin it is the only way i know of ta make sure it works
i had this nice long deal on this and it somehow didnt get posted:confused:
so here's a second go at it:p

If you dont use it, your setting yourself up for failure.

BOB's, theres those that use and those that dont. There;s those that take the easy way and pack what some internet jock tells them to.
I dont know about you,but do you want to risk your life to untested gear and advice.
the only way to know stuff works is to use it yourself in and under harsh conditions. Yeah you may have read 100 reviews on the MSR water works ex, but how fast will it fill your bottle/bladder,will it clog ,will it break?
This applies not only to the pack your useing, or the gear but to you yourself. Can your Bobdy handle a BOB. See BoBs are packs, these super larger 900lb duffle bags,totes etc arent BOB's they are IMHO loads. for your truck/car. Can you grab that and go,sure but what about with 4 flat tires...think about it.
You cant trust premade list , and you cant trust any gear that you have not tested. Ive seen many that show up to the hikes that i host with "packs" that XXX poster said was teh way to go.. 99% of them fall out, or are hurtin kids by the end of the day.

lil picture example.
can you tell who's packed a ruck before for 3-4 days.

see the difference in the acu pack, med alice and blue framed pack.....

which packs would you rather hump for a BO on foot....?

can you trust your BOB,,i can, but only becuase i use it more than once a year.....more like 10 times a year!

YMMV
useing is knowing and knowing may save your life!

#39 ·
can you tell who's packed a ruck before for 3-4 days.
see the difference in the acu pack, med alice and blue framed pack.....
which packs would you rather hump for a BO on foot....?
I give up, which pack should we pick?????????
The blue pack has been used in all civy life camping.
The ALICE has been used since the 1970s.
I've had no OJT with MOLLE.

The blue pack will let you be the Grey Man.
The other two stand out with all the camo. Kinda ironic ain't it??

#13 ·
I have two bags.
A three day MOLLE with a three liter camelback hydration kit, and all of the stuff I think I might need in a survival situation.
I never use it, it is dedicated too getting out of dodge.
I have a second bag, for the truck, and it gets used about once a week or so, and during camping trips, and trips too the range.
It is just a student back pack, and appears politically correct.
It works great for a rifle rest, from the beanch, or prone position.
It carries two water bottles (Yuppie type), a fixed blade knife, purifacation tablets,
beef jerkey, trail mix, compass, 2 meter radio, my Walther P-22 and 100 rounds of CCI Subsonic ammo, a long sleeved pull over, and my night desert camo jacket with liner, two extra sets of socks, and a walmart hobo tool and para cord.
Other items vary weekly, but it is my get too bag.

#18 ·
I go on a couple day trips or overnights in the summer:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=66617\
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=60014

and I've set the boys up for a backyard campout:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=64525

and I brought it with in the mountains of Colorado for lunch and just in case:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=62569

and I had it handy during harvest for a couple late night meals when I didn't want to come in from the field.

#19 ·
I carry an offbrand camo backpack everyday, where ever I go. I carry survival items like firesteel, sleeping bag, ka-bar, hatchet, sidearm, LED, and esbit tabs, I have many items I carry for everyday use, like the food is a 5 day supply that I eat up and rotate so its fresh, mostly protein bars and beef jerky. I also carry good hygiene and medical items like contact accessories and toothbrush so I can crash anywhere on a minutes notice. My canteen works great for daily use. By doing this and setting the pattern, I always have my BOB with me and am familiar with the contents and know they are in good working condition.

#20 ·
In my opinion, using the BOB or identical components to what it contains is the only way to become as familiar with your gear as you need to be. I use mine every time I camp and replace what I used. I also try to hike my bug out trails regularly to stay familiar with them and notice any changes. I also freshen my caches regularly. It's all part of staying familiar and keeping current.

I also take the rifle from my BOB out shooting regularly for the same reason.

#21 ·
Mine is more like a bag of usefulness that can get me home or let me survive if need be.

I keep a toolkit in my bob that I use all the time just because I'm not always at home. I also use the other items for camping, cabin trips, fire starting, etc.

I like the idea that others have mentioned already: You gotta use it to know how to use it when it counts.

#22 ·
We (Wife and I) use ours several times a year. Couple of 3-4 day weekend campouts and at least one major 2 to 3 week outing in a national park.

What good is gear if it isn't tested? How do you know what's going to work or not until you try it out? We're always using ours. In the early years they went through some pretty heavy changes -- a lot of things that look good on paper don't work out in the real world ... but over time things have pretty much stabilized as far as what gear is in the bag. The only way we found out the things that were a pain, or that just plain didn't work, was everyday usage of the kit.

OTOH, mine's a "get me back home" bag. I'm not buggin' out to nowhere if I can help it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.