Calm after the storm - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WWIII - The Calm Before The Storm Radio Controversial News and Alternative Politics 0 12-30-2014 06:25 PM
Calm before the storm Marcello Controversial News and Alternative Politics 10 12-27-2013 10:37 PM
Calm before thew storm? MrPunem General Discussion 4 04-15-2013 10:33 AM
Concerned this is a calm period before the end of 2012 storm kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 94 05-28-2012 03:00 PM
Calm before the storm kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 83 08-21-2011 08:45 AM
Calm Before The Storm Velcapitan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 08-20-2011 11:33 PM
Calm before the Storm ozarkeagle General Discussion 57 12-17-2009 02:26 PM
What do you do to calm down? BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 36 11-30-2009 09:33 AM

Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,529 Times in 8,168 Posts
Default Calm after the storm

Advertise Here

Want to boost moral after a disaster? Security, something to do, and a good hot meal.

After hurricane Ike and Rita, the police were not able to resound to 911 calls. The roads were blocked with debris and fallen trees. Some roads were impassable for close to a week after Hurricane Rita. Some of the debris was so bad, bulldozers had to be brought out and the debris pushed to the side of the road.

The county sheriff got on the local radio station and said "people, you are on your own, if you call 911, we will not be able to respond."

Even without law enforcement, there was still a sense of calm. I fired up my big pit and cooked everyday, and with my AR-15 close at hand. There are very few things that will boost moral like a good hot meal, and I do not mean a meal of beans and rice.

After the power goes out, that is the time to cook all of the meat you have in the freezer. With my big pit, I can cook for 2 - 3 dozen people at one time. even the smell of cooking food can have a calming effect on people.

In the evenings we set a lantern on a coffee table and played games like rummy-cube for hours after the sun went down.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 AM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 13,065 Times in 5,214 Posts

Good ideas. Stay occupied, try to reestablish some normalcy, mix fun with practical activities. Avoid idle hand-wringing. Check on family and friends and be encouraging.
Make the most of any situation whenever possible.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,788 Posts

Nice BBQ video

I have the same gloves I love them but I have big hands so they are hard to take off once I've handled oily meat.

I'll be doing brisket & ribs this weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 41,529 Times in 8,168 Posts

Unless you have a bunch of people to cook for, there is no need in having a large pit on a trailer like what I have, a simple coleman propane grill will do.

My wife and I keep a large plastic tote box filled with camping supplies. Instead of packing liquid fuel that can spill, we decided to get a propane stove to keep in the camping tote.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM
semper in angaria

Thanked 4,677 Times in 1,126 Posts

Great. Now I'm hungry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohionative For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,070 Times in 8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Unless you have a bunch of people to cook for, there is no need in having a large pit on a trailer like what I have, a simple coleman propane grill will do.

My wife and I keep a large plastic tote box filled with camping supplies. Instead of packing liquid fuel that can spill, we decided to get a propane stove to keep in the camping tote.

Coleman PerfectFlow Insta Start Grill Stove review - YouTube
After the last power out we had I think just about every single person ownes something like that.
Funny enough The first time we had a cylcone. I flew into the area late and the only thing left I could buy to cook in was a basicly a bucket and fire wood.

There was plenty of firewood though.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,526 Times in 2,926 Posts

Kev, you are so right. I went through the Rice Canyon Fire of SoCal in 2007. Those of us in the valley who didn't get burned out needed to clear out our freezer's, so meat was in surplus for the first two days. It became like my days on the farm, everyone capable was fighting reflash fires, setting up gates on the road for security, and helping others salvage what they could. Those not capable of working those jobs converged on the centrally located house and set up kitchen, refreshments and social activities. Even over the smell of fire it's like you could smell the food cooking up at my place 300 yards away. Even with the events of that monday the next week brought us together like never before, I actually consider those 2 weeks the most eye opening, educational, and rewarding time in my 14 years in southern California.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 21,485 Times in 7,105 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Thank goodness I have bacon and eggs in the fridge...brb