Being followed (vehicle) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 211 06-19-2019 10:57 PM
In your vehicle El Roberto Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 09-22-2016 10:06 PM
Bug out vehicle? Here's your bug out vehicle! Pictures and link. Pangea Vehicles & Transportation 13 01-17-2016 01:15 PM
My EMP bug out vehicle faceman Vehicles & Transportation 41 08-22-2015 11:52 PM
GHB in a hot vehicle Glenda Sue Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 10-01-2014 02:08 AM
Bug Out Vehicle theunknownvariable Vehicles & Transportation 7 09-26-2014 07:56 AM
What vehicle do we want? twyggy Vehicles & Transportation 28 08-27-2014 01:40 PM
Is vehicle RANGE important to you in your BUG OUT vehicle? bozar Vehicles & Transportation 64 10-28-2013 11:02 PM
First Aid Kit in Hot Vehicle?? umc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-16-2011 03:05 PM
1st vehicle, what do I need? roof_top_eagle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 04-14-2010 06:13 PM

Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 AM

Default Being followed (vehicle)

Advertise Here

I don't know if this is the right area, I just gave it my best guess.

I was being tailgated on the way home, about 1/2 car distance between us in a 60mph zone. I was going 65 in the right hand lane, there was no reason this dumb--- needed to be following so close. I flicked my brakes a couple times to flash the lights and there was no response from the other driver. I turned off the cruise control and let my car slow to about 60mph. The guy didn't go around me and I thought he might just hit me, so I sped back up to 65.

At this point I made my biggest mistake. I threw a banana peel left from breakfast out my drivers side window, and it bounced off his windshield. I got the guys attention, and the double bird from him. He backed off a bit and I thought my point had been made. I have never done anything like this at all, but felt proud of myself, it didn't hurt anyone, didn't damage the other persons car, and it got the point across. I also felt like I had messed up and shouldn't have done that.

I took my exit about 7-8 minutes later and looked in my mirror and realized the truck was behind me still. It was a little odd, but I live in a residential area and it isn't too uncommon for someone to have the same route home from the downtown area as this neighborhood. I decided to keep an eye on him, he was still behind me after a right hand turn and I figured it was worth experimenting. I turned on my blinker to signal a left hand turn at the light, so did he. I turned right, so did he. I knew at this point that this guy was up to no good.

Long story short, I ran a red light that had turned red as I entered the intersection, and he wasn't willing to do that, at this point I was pretty far from my home (I knew not to lead him to my house) so I am not worried about him retaliating when I am at home in bed.

It got me thinking, is there a procedure set by police or the like to follow when you think you are being followed? This is the one I came up with, it is what I would do, but not necessarily the best for everyone:

From Hold-on: keep your car as full of gas as you can and in as good mechanical condition as possible

1) Confirm you are being followed by a)taking an obscure route ex: 3 left or 3 right hand turns in a row, signal left or turn right, U-turn, or b) slow down and pull to the side of the road to allow the follower to pass in a legal way, if they don't pass, it's pretty clear they are following you. DO NOT LEAD THEM TO YOUR HOME/PLACE OF WORK!

2) Don't corner yourself. Don't pull into an empty parking lot, don't pull into an alley, don't park where you are boxed in. If you are at a stop light or stop sign, make sure not to pull to close to the car in front of you, so you can turn the wheels and get away if you need to. DO NOT LEAD THEM TO YOUR HOME/PLACE OF WORK!

3)Don't acknowledge the person following you, yet. Don't stare into your mirror, don't flip them off, don't peel out when starting from a start. If they don't think you know you are being followed, they may just give up, since their point isn't being made. They may also drive farther away to keep from alerting you, this will open up more escape routes. DO NOT LEAD THEM TO YOUR HOME/PLACE OF WORK!

4) Call the police. Only call the police when you are CERTAIN you are being followed. They will likely keep you on the phone to get play by play of your location. Drive slower at this point so you are easier to find and not constantly changing locations. Like being lost in the wilderness, stay put so the people looking for you can find you, don't wander around aimlessly. Also, don't drive so slowly that the person following you can get to you. Keep a steady speed just below the speed limit (If you are in a 25, go 15. 30 in a 45, 40 in a 55) DO NOT LEAD THEM TO YOUR HOME/PLACE OF WORK!

5) Defend yourself. If someone is out of their car trying to get into your car, you are likely protected by many of the same self-defense rights that protect you when you are defending your house. (Depending on the Stand-Your-Ground laws in your state.) A car is a great tool if used properly, keep moving and don't be afraid to "bump" an attacker to let them know that you will not go down without a fight. DO NOT LEAD THEM TO YOUR HOME/PLACE OF WORK!

What would you guy/gals do differently or change?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,991 Times in 1,960 Posts

I would of just pulled over. Guy was gettin a rise outta scaring you.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,429 Times in 548 Posts

6) Always keep your car as full of gas as you can and in as good mechanical condition as possible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hold-on For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
I wasn't scared yet. I had a full tank of gas and know the area like the back of my hand, I was still pretty far from the scared stage, I was in the p***ed stage.

I didn't need to pull over, but have that in my directions in step 1. I was able to speed up through a light before I had to pull over and let him a) pass me or b) stop behind me.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold-on View Post
6) Always keep your car as full of gas as you can and in as good mechanical condition as possible.
added that before step one. Always a good reminder.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 AM
Bushwacker

Thanked 1,367 Times in 701 Posts

This not only happend to me, but I was also the follower once.

To make a long story short I was cut off HORRIBLY by a teenager trying to get beside a female in the lane next to me. I followed him to work and saw this pimply teenager get out wearing a company shirt for the grocery store we were at. I gave him the look of "I'm gonna get you" and he got the message. The kid probably hadn't been driving for more than a week, and was on the road to a timely death if he kept up his driving habbits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woodlife For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlife View Post
This not only happend to me, but I was also the follower once.

To make a long story short I was cut off HORRIBLY by a teenager trying to get beside a female in the lane next to me. I followed him to work and saw this pimply teenager get out wearing a company shirt for the grocery store we were at. I gave him the look of "I'm gonna get you" and he got the message. The kid probably hadn't been driving for more than a week, and was on the road to a timely death if he kept up his driving habbits.
I wasn't posting this to say anytime you are being followed that the person following you is a bad guy. Hope nobody got that impression. Some people may view my story as me deserving to be followed, and that I was the bad guy for throwing the banana peel. I am fine with that, but my post was to show how to deal with a follower, regardless of the other circumstances.
The Following User Says Thank You to seahawk1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 AM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 11,941 Times in 4,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
Agreed. One of these day's that clown is gonna pull that **** on the wrong man.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to firstforcerecon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Bushwacker

Thanked 1,367 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1 View Post
I wasn't posting this to say anytime you are being followed that the person following you is a bad guy. Hope nobody got that impression. Some people may view my story as me deserving to be followed, and that I was the bad guy for throwing the banana peel. I am fine with that, but my post was to show how to deal with a follower, regardless of the other circumstances.
I understand what you ment. After all, I'm not a bad guy and I did follow him. I will say that the person following me was not bad either, but it was my Ex, and she wasn't bad, but what I'd consider borderline crazy at that time. Infact I had broken up with her about 5 minutes earlier and had to pull in a walmart parking lot to keep her from wrecking into me.

Now me and her are both good friends... Only because we don't have to see eachother anymore
Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstforcerecon View Post
Agreed. One of these day's that clown is gonna pull that **** on the wrong man.
Like mentioned above, I didn't need to pull over because an opportunity to speed up and run a light presented itself before that. Pulling over is in my step 1 of the original post.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

Should had just let him hit you, and hopefully it wouldn't had injured your neck, and caused months of rehabilitation, and a nasty law suite.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramilusmc View Post
Should had just let him hit you, and hopefully it wouldn't had injured your neck, and caused months of rehabilitation, and a nasty law suite.
Getting rear ended going 65 is not a good idea. Ever. You ever see those crazy police videos when a cop rear ends a fugitive when they are both on the freeway? Doesn't end well.

He could cover my funeral fees I suppose.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seahawk1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:46 AM

Thats where I would brake check and if that failed I would switch lanes and hit the brakes hard enough that he would have passed me. I then would do the same thing to him that he was to me, cut him off, and flip him off as I drove away. But then again, Im from Los Angeles where apparently to any one who isnt from here, were all bad drivers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Trapper

Please allow me to preach for a minute -no offense. Throwing things out of the window is not a good idea. I imagine that was the thing that made him decide to follow you. I just slow down. Eventually they pass. I don't even do the brake light thing. They get the message and slowing down gives them the opportunity to pass.

I know it's frustrating, but throwing something out is dangerous and might get some sort of retaliation. Your gut was telling you right when you thought you shouldn't have done it.

Not necessarily related to being followed, but here are a couple things I do for safer driving:

Pretty much whenever anything gets abnormal, I pull my pistol out of its holster and get it one step closer to ready. I also do this at night when I'm the only car at a red light that I know I'll have to sit at for a minute. I also keep my windows up when stopped(prevents someone from getting their hands in or spraying pepper spray) and always keep my doors locked(prevents someone from getting in or trying to pull me out).

I try to always keep moving even if it's a crawl to avoid sitting at a red light and don't dawdle at stop signs. Keeping moving makes it harder to try to approach.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hold-on For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Trapper

If it's one lane, you can put on your signal and turn off to the right, then get back on the road after they're gone ahead. If I've got a fast and a slow lane, and they're tailgating me in the slow lane, I'll move over into the fast lane, let them pass, then move back over. It seems strange, but it beats someone that won't do what they're supposed to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hold-on For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Trapper

I really don't get drivers that tailgate. They must like to look at the backs of cars.

I was driving on 85 South going toward Atlanta the other day and this vette would ride up on someone's tail, ride there until they could find a hole, then move over and ride up on someone else's tail. I kept 6-7 car lengths open in front of me the whole time and must have rode for 15 miles watching this maroon. I just simply don't understand. Was it some kind of power trip? If so, he only showed how impotent he was in actually getting ahead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hold-on For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1 View Post
Getting rear ended going 65 is not a good idea. Ever. You ever see those crazy police videos when a cop rear ends a fugitive when they are both on the freeway? Doesn't end well.

He could cover my funeral fees I suppose.
The OP said that he had slowed down to 60 and he was still gaining, well especially once he got off the highway and the sped wasn't such an issue, oh hell ya there guy hit me and watch me sue the pants of you later.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Target Shooter

Step 6: Ensure the .45 in your console is ready to do business.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlphaPie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
At this point I made my biggest mistake. I threw a banana peel
Dammit, that always works for me on Mario Kart.

I've had similar situations with wackos following me. After the 3rd loop of a random subdivision they generally give up Or if they sense you are headed in the direction of the highway patrol/police station.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Feral Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,043 Times in 402 Posts

If the guy was following me AFTER I did a short test by taking four right or four left turns and ending up right where I started my test then I would stop my car, turn on my hazards, get out with my hand on the outside of my right hip (like I was holding my shirt down to cover something), walk back to his car and ask him why he is following me. No matter what answer he gives I would in a loud and firm voice tell him to stop following me, walk back to my car and drive off again doing the four turn test. If the fool is still following me then I would drive to the police department.

This is the non-lethal way I would tell someone else to go about it.

If you carry a weapon on your side you can always get out of the car and let the wind do a quick reveal for you and simply yell at the car to stop following you and then leave.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hackroutetracer For This Useful Post: