Personal Hygiene and food safety after shtf - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SHTF hygiene Jamesconn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 02-17-2015 01:02 PM
Soap and personal hygiene fretful_edge Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 01-05-2014 01:36 PM
How to ensure my safety and my famiys safety during a SHTF Scneario AussieOutdoorsMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 40 12-09-2012 01:25 PM
Lets talk about personal hygiene kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 07-06-2010 05:53 AM
Personal Hygiene when SHTF Themaxman727 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 48 05-16-2010 09:30 AM
Personal hygiene on a camping trip kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 49 12-14-2009 11:04 PM
Personal Hygiene BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 20 12-05-2009 09:45 AM
personal hygiene soldier506 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 03-25-2008 07:32 PM

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,192 Times in 7,830 Posts
Default Personal Hygiene and food safety after shtf

Advertise Here

While on a recent camping trip with some friends, I started taking mental notes about the possible issues we could have after SHTF. I like to go on camping trips, or trips away from home, and then take notes about the issues that we faced.

Safe drinking water - life as we know it can not exist without safe drinking water. Any water that goes in your eyes, on your face, in your mouth (even to brush your teeth) must be filtered or purified. So one of the big issues is finding safe drinking water.

I wear contacts, so one of the big issues that I will be facing is safe water to wash my contacts in. Or just say screw the contacts and wear my glasses. After some kind of SHTF situation, my contacts will probably be put up, and my glasses will be worn.

Awhile back I posted a video on youtube about personal hygiene kits, here is that video.

Brushing teeth - once again, this is dependent on safe drinking water.

Food Safety - one of the biggest issues is probably going to be food safety, keeping food cold so that it does not spoil, and keeping insects off of food. The majority of todays homes are not equipped with screen doors, only screened windows. As the power goes off, people will be opening doors and windows to let the air circulate. If the doors are opened, flys and other insects will enter the home.

Dried foods in resealable containers should not be an issue, unless the containers are left open for a period of time.

Shigella - is a foodborne disease that is transmitted when incests land on infected objects (like waste water), and then land on food for human consumption. Because of Shigella and other related diseases, dealing with waste water (feces), and food safety are related. Make sure waste water is not exposed to where incests can land on it, make sure that doors and windows have screens, and make sure that food is covered will help ensure food safety.

After the food is cooked, the pots, pans and dishes should be washed to prevent the growth of bacteria.

When cooking for a group of people, I will hold my utensils over the fire for a minute to kill anything on the metal.

Hand washing - is the number 1 way to prevent the spread of disease. Personally, I stockpile plenty of liquid hand soap and have soap dispensers at ever sink.

When my wife and I stay at a hotel, sometimes we will get extra bar soap from the maids cleaning the rooms, or from the front deck. The soap is stored in a box at my house.

Hot water shower - pick up a solar shower, their usually sold that local sporting goods store, or on camping websites. Set up a privacy shelter, fill up the solar shower and set it out in the sun for a couple of hours. The hot in the solar shower can get as hot as 100 degrees.

A good shower also acts as a moral booster, getting to wash the filth out of your hair, wash your face, wash your butt,,,,, helps with a persons overall moral and helps to keep people clean.

Hepatitis A - transmitted through infected food, via the fecal-oral route. If you have hepatitis A, please do not help prepare the food, and only fix your own plate. And please wash your hands after going to the rest room.

Feel free to post your comments or suggestions.

Last edited by kev; 05-18-2011 at 04:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,723 Times in 707 Posts

I hear ya'.

I do an extended high country mule deer hunt each year then a Cascade range Elk hunt each year and have to deal with the issue of hygeine every time.

I keep the baby wipes and washclothes going the whole trip. I have a bucket shower I made years ago that is worth it's weight in gold. Nothing better than a warm five minute shower from a gallon and a half of water...
The Following User Says Thank You to ULTRAMAGNUM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

Get at least two solar shower systems. One can serve as your kitchen or hand washing water. Alternatly someone posted about filling jugs of water and putting them inside a big black trash bag in the sun for heating hand wash water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,723 Times in 707 Posts

Solar showers and my region do not work well together, wish they did....
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Being a typical boy growing up I hated to interrupt my playtime with a bath/shower.
In a few months I'll be 45 and if things were to ever go very far south I would miss many many things, many different luxuries.
At the top of my list of things I would miss(aside from buying food just about anywhere) would be the ability to enjoy a hot shower at any time of day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edition For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,710 Times in 2,572 Posts

I think hygeine will be one of the most important and also one of the most difficult to maintain. Good post on all the subjects you outlined.

My storage contains much of the above, especially toothpaste. I can go a day or two, reluctantly, without a shower while camping but not brushing my teeth, never!!

Incidently, on trips that I can carry plenty of gear such as canoe camping, I take one of those garden sprayers that hold a gallon or two of liquid and has a spray wand attached (hand pressure pump) and fill it with warm water for a rather luxurious shower in the wilderness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Those were the days....

Thanked 11,967 Times in 3,324 Posts

NEVER get into your sleeping bag with your boots on, no matter how cold it is!

You have been warned.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc0331 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,763 Posts

Don't forget flossing brushing cant touch all the crap between teeth!

Baby wipes! sounds funny but these are worth their weight in gold after a few days in the woods

Ditch the plates silverware for short bug outs and use disposable paper plates and plastic utensil's to save water and maintain hygiene

Vaccinations up to date!
The Following User Says Thank You to rugster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Sanitation during an emergency is something that often gets looked over but it is so important! We have an article on our website that makes some suggestions about things to include in your emergency supplies to help keep you and your food safe and sanitary.

Some of those suggestions for personal sanitation are, toilet paper, deodorant, toothbrush, mouthwash, shampoo, and a hairbrush or comb. Depending on the situation, it might also be helpful to have some laundry detergent handy. Some of these things might be luxuries in an emergency but they can also be a huge morale booster.

In the article, there are also instructions on how to dig a latrine, ways to dispose of waste, and suggestions for keeping food sanitary.
The Following User Says Thank You to EmergencyEssentials For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,727 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Hygiene and sanitation are hugely important, even in good times. But especially so in a crisis. Another issue is disinfecting around the house. Keeping surfaces clean to reduce the possibility of cross contaminating to other surfaces. Toilet handles, faucet knobs, door knobs and things that you touch one after another. It's going to be especially important to keep things clean and food safe in a crisis.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,942 Times in 8,893 Posts

It boils down to good sanitation practices-

Making sure latrines are downhill from water supplies
Burning trash and keeping vermin in check
washing hands, shower/bathing
water purification
properly cooking raw meats

If you live nasty you die quickly, it has plagued armies and civilizations forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,090 Times in 26,155 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

This is a great thread. Dysentary (SP) is a killer. Look at the problems in some of the recent disasters like Hati etc. The cleaner we can keep things the better.

One of the positions in my group is Sanitation.

Proper sanitation goes back to the Boy Scout days.

Unscented bleach, good for more then purifying water
Old 02-04-2015, 09:16 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,099 Times in 5,489 Posts

And this is why I make those cotton balls for fire starting with Purell and not PJ. Starts a fire and can clean you up.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,255 Times in 487 Posts

Don't forget the old hygiene standby - baking soda. Useful for brushing teeth, washing, deodorizing, antacid, cleaning fruits & veggies, skin irritations, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnmcd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
NEVER get into your sleeping bag with your boots on, no matter how cold it is!

You have been warned.
Not that I ever have or would even thought about it unless I planned on being disturbed, but why the warning?
The Following User Says Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,843 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAMAGNUM View Post
Solar showers and my region do not work well together, wish they did....
Yea, have similar issue too. I am planning on getting a propane fueled shower like these:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...hower&_sacat=0

Yes, long term, propane will be an issue. But short term there will be luxury.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Somewhere on a ranch...

Thanked 5,111 Times in 1,411 Posts

Having lots of cheap Surgeon's gloves around will save you a lot of water when it comes to hand washing, handling meat, etc
Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM
VIP Member

Hot water for the bath, kitchen and laundry may not be necessary but would sure make life more comfortable.
And a hand washing station would make life seem more civilized.
Water for food preperation, to wash your food, rinse your rice or soak your beans is necessary.
And Being able to heat water to pasteaurizing temps could save your life.
Also collecting water is an issue that needs attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Hunter

If power goes out water will dry up and disease will flourish. Disease usually kills more people than any other cause (in situations where the shtf.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,967 Times in 3,817 Posts

This is especially true for those of use in groups. SHTF will be stressful enough without living in close quarters with people whose hygiene places them in the "kill it with fire" category.

Every BOB, let alone INCH and things like a BOL/BIL, should have some stores of hygiene related items. The bigger the pack or place, and the longer term you are prepping for, the more hygiene should factor into your preps.

Minimum for my BOBs is toothbrush, small tooth paste,small dental floss, bar/tube or soap, comb, roll of TP and one pack of some sort of wet wipes.

MINIMUM.