Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch recomendation? Suunto vs casio? silhouette Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 08-13-2015 07:43 AM
Casio pathfinder watch JohnConnor Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 36 08-10-2015 04:09 PM
Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor Watch $89 anthonymbrown Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 08-10-2015 04:06 PM
The best shtf/survival/adventure/edc watch you need to own. GShock g9300 mudman. tropicheat General Discussion 4 06-11-2014 02:47 PM
Casio Pathfinder PAG240T Watch band? Malakie Reviews and questions 1 11-22-2013 10:46 PM
Casio F91-W - Amazing watch andyhuk Urban Survival 27 07-09-2012 11:19 AM
Watch (Casio Pathfinder) did the most amazing thing today Kipper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 01-29-2012 04:53 PM
Casio Pathfinder or another GSHOCK wrist watch ChestyK Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 08-07-2011 08:23 PM
Mini compass for first aid kit and watch? kukuri Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-14-2010 09:13 AM
5.11 Field Ops Watch compass function Ridgeback Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 12-25-2007 06:46 AM

Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I love this forum

Default Compass, Gshock watch, Casio path finder watch?

Advertise Here

I have gone through many watches including a Citizen Ecodrive. Casio G Shock is the ONLY watch I will wear in the field. I currently have the Mudman solar powered model. Question is how reliable is the solar power function in the G-Shock? If there was a diaster will the fact that it auto updates from the towers cause issues? Can they triangulate my position since it auto updates?

I would love a g shock with a compass. Seen this and am excited

http://www.xperiax1.com/322/casio-ja...mudman-g-shock

Could I rely on that for more than just N/S/E/and West?

Batterys fail and I am very tough on my watches.

How well do the gshock pathfinders work? The more features the better.

I have a Cammenega wrist compass and a regular compass for my pack. How well do the wrist versions work?
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCcQ8wIwAA#

Who makes the most accuret yet durable compass to clip on my Gshock band? Are there any good small ones I can keep on my key ring? Yes, have lost many in the field over the years.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM
See you in my Scope

Thanked 5,762 Times in 1,497 Posts

My casio G-Shock solar/atomic lasted almost 7 years. pretty good run. It still works but it just doesn't hold a charge more than a couple of days.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 AM
I love this forum

I wish they would come out with one with a good digital compass. The pathfinder has a GPS doesnt it?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:30 AM

June 30th. Can't wait to pick one of these up.
Thanks for letting us know about them.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 AM

You can turn the auto update feature off on the Wave Ceptor models of the G-Shock. The user manual says it will only update if you are in range of the atomic clocks in the US or Japan.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Hunter

My Suunto Core has an excellent compass in it, with a settable declination for your location, bearing index, and rotating bezel for your heading. As well as Barometer, Altimeter, Timer, Sunrise/Sunset clock for anywhere in the world, Depth Gauge, and it'll provide you with rate of decent/ascent. I think I've included them all, but I'm probably missing a few.

Check out the Suunto Clipper for putting on watch bands. It's the only one I've ever seen with a rotating bezel for headings. And is balanced for both northern and southern hemispheres.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,822 Times in 1,575 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

the downside to the Casio is it's $450 for a watch that looks as big as a tuna can on your wrist.good luck getting something out of your pocket while wearing it
Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM

I own the Air force version X3-X4. These are from "Aircrew Survival Kits/Components" from back in Vietnam. SOG Recon Teams use to use them a lot too. They are not bad at finding the four corners; North, South, East and West with no available way to adjust for declination. I wish I could show pictures of the compasses that I own personally; both Militarily and Civilian usage.

M16A1
Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 7,234 Times in 2,674 Posts

Luminox is the best watch I have ever owned, I have had this one 12 yrs and put two batterys in it. the luminus dial is guarnteed for 10yrs mine still works

jst my 2cts wrth
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenfeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 PM
See you in my Scope

Thanked 5,762 Times in 1,497 Posts

Yes though don't ask me how!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
the downside to the Casio is it's $450 for a watch that looks as big as a tuna can on your wrist.good luck getting something out of your pocket while wearing it
I've also read that they are not as accurate in the real world as High Gear, and nowhere near Suunto.

Personally, if I get another expensive techie watch, I want one that doesn't use pins to hold the straps onto the body.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,883 Times in 2,878 Posts

I had the Timex Expedition digital but I took it back because it wasnt accurate, but it did have a digital compass, altimeter, and barometer. I had to reset the barometer every other day, and the altimeter and compass were not accurate, but the compass could be declinated. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM

is there an American watch that has these kinds of features?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,215 Posts

I gave my luminox to my dad. Beauty that one. I bought the gshock waveceptor as a replacement because I didn't want to spend the money on a battery replacement w/water reproofing. That alone will cost what the gshock does. I've decide that a Seiko with the shake wind movement is the best of the best. Don't need to worry about a power source ever and never need to open it either. For gps I'd have to go with a separate device using a sirfiii type chip. Compass would be more mechanical like those military gi kind.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloher View Post
I have gone through many watches including a Citizen Ecodrive. Casio G Shock is the ONLY watch I will wear in the field. I currently have the Mudman solar powered model. Question is how reliable is the solar power function in the G-Shock? If there was a diaster will the fact that it auto updates from the towers cause issues? Can they triangulate my position since it auto updates?

I would love a g shock with a compass. Seen this and am excited

http://www.xperiax1.com/322/casio-ja...mudman-g-shock

Could I rely on that for more than just N/S/E/and West?

Batterys fail and I am very tough on my watches.

How well do the gshock pathfinders work? The more features the better.

I have a Cammenega wrist compass and a regular compass for my pack. How well do the wrist versions work?
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCcQ8wIwAA#

Who makes the most accuret yet durable compass to clip on my Gshock band? Are there any good small ones I can keep on my key ring? Yes, have lost many in the field over the years.

YES, you can rely on the Casio Pathfinder compasses, they are not as accurate as a true "real" compass but for N, S, E and W they are fine.

The "tough solar" feature on the G-Shocks are VERY reliable...I have had mine for over 7 years, still going fine with power on HIGH.

As for the "atomic" feature, this is something that can be turned off or on. If there was a disaster and the radio towers were unable to transmit the data your G-Shock would simply revert back to standard quartz accuracy (+/- 15 seconds a month).

As for toughness, the Casio Pathfinders are OKAY, but the G-Shocks are much better. I suggest the GW6900, awesome no-nonsense model that does what it does WELL and has a great easy-to-read display.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 19,764 Times in 6,633 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I love my Tech40 Trialleader Jet
Old 04-11-2014, 02:38 PM

I have three suunto watches Vector, X-Lander, CORE black. I have three because I love them. A great tool.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:39 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 20,353 Times in 7,757 Posts

I like my Casio Pathfinder ($200). I get 3 to 5 years on a set of batteries. Changing them isn't for the faint hearted. The barometer/alarm is the best storm warning feature. The thermometer is good enough to set your cross country ski wax by. Compass is better than nothing same for the altimeter. Tuna can on your wrist is a good description, which is why I carry not wear it.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 4,692 Times in 1,725 Posts

The "atomic" update feature is receive only, so there is no way you could be tracked. Same goes for GPS.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 AM

I also have a Casio pathfinder. No atomic feature on mine but it's been sitting in the center console compartment of my car without sunlight for the last six months and still reads a full charge! Lol

Calibrating it was kinda a pain for me but once I got that done with a trip to the local airport and on-line barometric updates from that airport it's been GTG.