First Aid Kit *Must Add* - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 AM

Default First Aid Kit *Must Add*

Advertise Here

Ok, I know i'm new to this site but i have spent the last two days reading the information on here. First let me tell you, YOU ALL ARE ****ING GENIUS!! I have learned more on survival in the last 48 hours than in my whole life, and I thought i was prepared - I was wrong lol.

Now, with that out the way, on to more important subjects, I might have over looked this somewhere when i searched but i didn't see so if i missed it i'm sorry just over look this.

One of the most important items anybody can have is a first aid kit, a simple bag with the basics can go a long way in an emergancy but I have learned through experience there are two item that should be in every F.A.B. right next to the bandaids and tape, and you are all gonna laugh (i know i did when it was showed to me) but it is true and it works...

TAMPONS AND MAXI-PADS ....... (guys i know what your thinking, remember i'v been there, "I'm not a woman i don't need those" but in truth you do. I want you to think about what they are really used for and you will see what i mean.

All the time i get medical calls for hunting accidents and/or shootings and you get on seen and theres a bullet hole or a puncture wound and the best thing for the job is in almost every woman's purse.. A Tampon.. 1) you unwrap 2) place the end of the applicator at the entry hole 3) inject... simple as 1 2 3 literary. I'm probably gonna get in trouble for the next line or make someone upset and i'm sorry if i do cause it's not meant to but, they are designed to plug the bleeding hole but does it matter what hole really?

Next is the Maxi-pads, for large lacerations and deep cuts instead of using a whole bunch of gauze just take one pad and your good to go (let me tell you one thing, those blasted things can soak up a whole bunch of blood, lol) they are both cheap and easy to find, no need to by name brand and the dollar store sells em' cheap and face it it doesn't matter if there not the most expensive... YOUR NOT USING THEM.

box of Tampons $2, Ride to the E.R. $600, The expression on the ER doc's face when he sees the string end of a tompon sticking out the wound.. ****ING PRICELESS!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingcobradlk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Asian Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobradlk View Post
TAMPONS AND MAXI-PADS .......
Great Post, I have tampons for punctual wounds in my first aid kit, but why didn't I think of those pads............great absorbers for serious bleeding wounds if Hemostatic agents are not available. Whats good for ladies private use is a good alternative for the wounds treatment in the field when no proper pressure gauze are available.

Thanks great recommendation.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Super Fun Guy

Very good recommendations. I've noticed they sell the quickclot as well now. I'm thinking of adding that to my BOB as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Prepared

I have both in my kit, also include Cayanne pepper for clotting cuts
Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Great Post, I have tampons for punctual wounds in my first aid kit, but why didn't I think of those pads............great absorbers for serious bleeding wounds if Hemostatic agents are not available. Whats good for ladies private use is a good alternative for the wounds treatment in the field when no proper pressure gauze are available.
exactly, they might be a bit embarrassing when someone sees them in your bag but once they learn why people understand. My ex laughed at me for hours when she found them but the day she ran out on vacation put a quick end to that lol. The medic that showed me said there one of the best things out there for wounds that produce large amounts of blood due to how easy they are to find (even gas stations sell em')

Quote:
Very good recommendations. I've noticed they sell the quickclot as well now. I'm thinking of adding that to my BOB as well.
thanks, the problem with quick clot is one the price and two the accessibility. I used to carry a couple of packs in my jump bag but it is frowned upon to use in the EMS field (not illegal, i don't think, but i do know they don't like us to use it) but for non EMS personnel its one of the best things out there cause you don't need training on how to use it, but the pack, wrap, ship, and let the doc do the rest is still my personal preference, I'm trained to stabilize not to treat, but if i was shot i'd use the quick clot on myself if it's all i had, i just don't like the idea of using it on another due to me hearing rumors it could cause further damage and/or long term damage. I now carry what is called HemCon i would suggest looking into it, less dangerous and doesn't cause as muck damage to the wounded area.

Quote:
I have both in my kit, also include Cayanne pepper for clotting cuts
now that, i did not know about, thank you for the tip, im gonna have to add that to my bag
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I now carry what is called HemCon i would suggest looking into it, less dangerous and doesn't cause as muck damage to the wounded area.
I'm Sorry my mistake, I carry Celox, its more expensive but it doesnt cause the chemical burn like quick clot and its made by the same people as the very trusted "SAM SPLINT".
HemCon is good and i carry it also but its a bandage lol
Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 12,164 Times in 5,768 Posts

Quote:
now that, i did not know about, thank you for the tip, im gonna have to add that to my bag
As far as I know, it doesn't need to be cayenne pepper, ordinary pepper will do.

I carry salt & pepper in my first aid kit for leaches. Salt to get them off, pepper to clot the blood.

Pepper has also been used for a temporary fix for leaking car radiators in the past. Sure, Bar's Leaks is a better product to use, but pepper is better than nothing.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:38 AM
WANDERER of the WAISTBAND

Dry mustard also works for either clotting OR radiators
Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,647 Times in 2,189 Posts

Did you miss the post about NOT using tampons for gunshot wounds?
But are we all doctors or EMTs?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Prepared

I'll take the chance of someone using a tampon or whatever they HAVE to use on me if i get a bad gunshot wound over bleeding out any day.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,077 Posts

PLEASE never use a tampon on me for a puncture wound!! You do know they swell to 3 times their original size..right? Do you have any idea what that would do to your tissue? After causing great additional tissue damage to the area, you would have to remove it..causing all clotted cells to be removed and bleeding would begin again..only greater. It may stop external bleeding but, the bleeding would just go internal.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 12,164 Times in 5,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwood View Post
PLEASE never use a tampon on me for a puncture wound!! You do know they swell to 3 times their original size..right? Do you have any idea what that would do to your tissue? After causing great additional tissue damage to the area, you would have to remove it..causing all clotted cells to be removed and bleeding would begin again..only greater. It may stop external bleeding but, the bleeding would just go internal.
If it's that or bleed out on the spot, shove a tampon in my puncture wound.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Default Quikclot, Tampons, Pads, Excellent Advice!

Quote:
exactly, they might be a bit embarrassing when someone sees them in your bag but once they learn why people understand. My ex laughed at me for hours when she found them but the day she ran out on vacation put a quick end to that lol. The medic that showed me said there one of the best things out there for wounds that produce large amounts of blood due to how easy they are to find (even gas stations sell em')

thanks, the problem with quick clot is one the price and two the accessibility. I used to carry a couple of packs in my jump bag but it is frowned upon to use in the EMS field (not illegal, i don't think, but i do know they don't like us to use it) but for non EMS personnel its one of the best things out there cause you don't need training on how to use it, but the pack, wrap, ship, and let the doc do the rest is still my personal preference, I'm trained to stabilize not to treat, but if i was shot i'd use the quick clot on myself if it's all i had, i just don't like the idea of using it on another due to me hearing rumors it could cause further damage and/or long term damage. I now carry what is called HemCon i would suggest looking into it, less dangerous and doesn't cause as muck damage to the wounded area.

This thread has some of the best first-aid kit advice of any I have seen on the subject. Most commercial kits and most homemade kits have a bare minimum of needed items and very few are meant to deal with serious wounds.

I have had several occasions that required materials that a simple kit simply would not begin to handle. A bad gash, puncture wound, knife or ax slice are realities for those of us who spend a lot of time away from "civilization". When we are faced with helping a person who had a significant wound, Quikclot can be a life-saver. Large, deep cuts then require a maxi-pad and a puncture wound of any size calls for a tampon. If you don't have those items, the situation can get out of hand quickly.

The fact that Quikclot is tough to find and a little pricey should not stop a person from getting it. Both the Quikclot.com and Z-Medica.com sites sell it. So do a number of internet sellers including REI and Cabela's. I called Z-Medica and they are going to be contracting with a major distributor who will have it in drugstores and supermarkets. I keep a couple of Quikclot Sport packs in my first-aid kit and at home. My wife has been kind enough to provide the other items as needed! Seriously, those "feminine" products are readily available at many locations.

Again, my kudos to the folks who have provided the ideas on this site. Like any number of items, you don't need Quikclot, pads or tampons often, but when you do need them, you need them badly!!