Rhodesian Farmers Defensive Arrangements --- idea's for those bugging in ... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rhodesian Farmers Defensive Arrangements jetgraphics South African Preppers 14 06-11-2018 12:13 PM
Rhodesian camouflage [_]ni/\/\og Looking for - want to buy 8 07-07-2015 06:56 AM
Looking for new sleeping arrangements Joseph51494 General Discussion 24 01-10-2015 05:56 PM
Would bugging out be a good idea for a urban enviroment? alpiner Urban Survival 35 11-29-2013 06:17 PM
Rhodesian Independence Day RVM45 General Discussion 36 07-08-2012 01:39 PM
Court rules organic farmers can sue conventional GMO farmers Chey's Daddy Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 79 04-13-2012 04:48 PM
Paper plates and plastic forks and knives a good idea for bugging in? Wind Breaker Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 40 09-14-2011 06:10 PM
I love spring..Show off your flora arrangements. Alligatorgars Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 03-05-2011 09:47 AM
Today is Rhodesian Independance Day. Dirt Fisher General Discussion 2 01-12-2010 07:39 AM
What special arrangements have you got in mind for the women in your life? OriannaKnight Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 59 10-25-2008 05:03 PM

Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 AM
civilizationsend.com

Default Rhodesian Farmers Defensive Arrangements --- idea's for those bugging in ...

Advertise Here

After discussing in another thread the problems with the wooden building that are so often used elsewhere in the world I thought I would post my 2 cents on how its done in Africa at many farms I have visited and read about over the years.

Rhodesian Farmers Defensive Arrangements

The following is a general overview:

1) Most farmers fitted hand-grenade grills to the outside of all windows and Doors leading outside were likewise security grilled.

2) Many farmers built thick sand bag walls in front and under bedroom windows to stop bullets passing through walls and providing secured firing arc's. Beds were never placed against the outside walls of a farmhouse.

3) It was usual to have a designated safe room within the farmhouse that could be defended until support arrived. Sometimes this was a central corridor that allowed the farmer to move into other rooms to attack those outside through the windows. In the loft or ceiling over the safe room, some farmers laid sand bags to deal with possible mortar attack.

4) Every farmhouse in a given area was linked by a radio system called “Agric Alert”. This allowed radio contact with other farmers who formed their own defence units, usually under the umbrella of PATU (Police Anti-Terrorist Unit), which would react to a call from one of their neighbours for assistance. Another means of alarm raising was the use of a signal rocket - The Agric-Alert system was not done away with after the war, such was the lack of trust in Mugabe`s promises. It performed admirably as well when dealing with criminal activity such as stock theft. The alert system arranged for all farmers to check in with each other at a given time in the morning and evening as a means of monitoring their status.
South Africa also had such a system Called MARNET.

5) Around all farmhouse gardens were erected security fences with barbed wire (or razor wire) and which often had simple alarm systems built into them.
There were usually 2 fences were placed about 50 m apart with a ditch dig close to the inner one - the inner fence was usually very high 10 feet with barb wire and close to the main house, about 4 meters away, the outer fence was lower and alarmed with simple soda cans with stones inside that would rattle and wake the dogs if there were disturbed.

the reason for the 2 fences and ditch was much like todays BAR Armour on Hummers that you guys use .. the inner fence would catch grenades and they would then roll into the ditch and explode there causing little damage. and an RPG fired at the house would also be caught by the fence and do little damage to the mail house

Within the inner fence boundary, every farmer usually had a couple of large dogs. The dogs were fed their largest meal in the morning instead of the evening, in order to help keep them awake at night. Other farmers had geese or ducks, which made excellent guard “dogs.” Gardens were kept deliberately trim so as to keep clear fields of view and fire etc. The farm houses also had outside flood lighting erected in such a way as to blind those outside the fence, but not to interfere with the vision of those within the farmhouse.

the flood lighting often included hardened lighting, usually behind sand bags , reflectors were used to provide light from lights shining vertically upwards because lights are the first targets and if the reflectors were shot they still worked ... albeit with a few holes

6) All farmers and their wives were armed with an assortment of weapons, and most farmers were trained military men. They had at least one assault rifle, usually an FAL 7.62, assorted shot guns, .303 hunting rifles and so forth. It was also not unusual for wives to carry Uzi`s around with them, or other equivalents such as the Rhodesian Cobra. All members of the family were trained on the various weaponry available to them, including the kids. In one famous incident a child successfully fought off the attacking terrorists after both of his parents were wounded. The main defensive weapons were at all times within immediate reach of the adult farmhouse occupants, and were placed next to the bed at night.

7) Some farmers used mine protected vehicles, as a favourite of terrorists was to landmine the driveway outside the fence. A great deal of time was spent looking at the dirt roads for freshly dug earth points and so forth when driving around the farm.

8) Some farm gardens and particular points external to the fence were wired with home-made claymore like devices strategically placed in areas where attackers were likely to take cover. In a few instances farmers deliberately erected “cover positions” for the terrorists to use outside the fence, which were then blown up upon attack. A particular favourite was a section of plastic piping filled with nails, nuts, bolts, screws and so forth. I witnessed tests with these and the tubes cleared large areas of their intended aiming point of all bush cover and leaves from trees etc for about 30 meters into the bush. By placing a number of figure 8`s in front of these tests, it was apparent from the strike patterns that not one of them would have walked again had they been terrorists.

9)Out buildings were often fitted which screens of thin steel or wood the provide false cover to intruders who would have to stand behind the sheets to fire around the corners of buildings but could easily be picked off if they did, by firing through there cover.

please excuse the mspaint art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lighting.png
Views:	431
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	46707   Click image for larger version

Name:	compound.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	46708   Click image for larger version

Name:	compound1.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	46709  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 131 Users Say Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post:
223shootersc, 2low8, 300 Boere, Admiral Nelson, Ammo, AndreasMeyer, ar10, arleigh, Athanasius, azb, AZman, bert the turtle, bigcole99, bigmattdaddywack, Bisquitlips, Bliksem, caseter, Charles Martel, CO-retired, crankyfarmer, CrypticCRICKET, cwi555, dac, daddyusmaximus, Dalcassian, Darwin Mike, davin, Delvan, Die Kat Kom Weer, dontbuypotteryfromme, elkhound, escape, Fire Star, flat possum, Flinter536, Frederick von Strass, FreshPotatoes, Froley, Gavbar, Generogue, georgeg, Glasgow, GoblintheCat, goliath4407, goose3, GotTheCrohns, gotWater, grd452, Griff, Gullars, GunnerSabotTank, GypsySixx, hank2222, harleyrider86, hawk55732, HeavyHauler, hebegbz, Herbalpagan, Highplains, Honfire, Horned One, I Buried My Guns, ian686, ivanthehunter, Jaba1017, jason1221, javagirl0411, Jlrhiner, jnr0104, joes, JoshTF, Jungleboy, KHos, KONG, Ladysphinx, Levant, LiamFisher, Lithium, Lockguy, Lui, lyingelk, mauser6863, McGuyversurvivor, Measuretwice, methemom, MikeK, missouri dave, MisterBig, ms,hillbilly, N4SZ, NucMedic, ohiocarry, OldBlackWater, OssaMAR, Pabstman, Peacnzion, perbain, pheka, PistolPackingMama, prudens-entis, Rifleman69, Robot, RottieMom, Runamok, sachson, seawind, ShaDoLor, ShellbackBill, SnakeRanch, SoJ_51, Sounder, Stugg, sydneymum, T.$.Racing, TDAWG, tdawg75, Teapot, TENNGRIZZ, Texas Patriot, Texazz, TheSergeantMajor, Theunsb, theyeti, Tigers, tnroadkill, tortminder, Tracey, True Blue, Uncle Bob, wheel, wv huntshoots
Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,509 Times in 7,818 Posts

Well written. You didn't mention the water pipe shotguns some of the farmers mounted under their vehicles. Electric priming to a shotgun shell, switches from the dash. A blast of six or seven buckshot rounds on folks crowding the car, cutting the legs from under them and leaving them bleeding in the dirt had a way of breaking contact pretty readily....
Old 03-28-2011, 02:59 AM
civilizationsend.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Well written. You didn't mention the water pipe shotguns some of the farmers mounted under their vehicles. Electric priming to a shotgun shell, switches from the dash. A blast of six or seven buckshot rounds on folks crowding the car, cutting the legs from under them and leaving them bleeding in the dirt had a way of breaking contact pretty readily....
donno about that, never heard of them doing it but its sounds like something they would have done and would be pretty easy to do . steel wool for the fuse few match heads and a pipe .... hmmmm
The Following User Says Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post:

Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Take the red pill!!!!

I cant believe I forgot how crazy things went down in SA. Thank you for the info, anyone else please keep pouring in their experiences. The stuff is as custom tailored to a modern homestead plan with real life testing we can get. Ignoring the politics there is alot of rich info to be learned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peacnzion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,576 Posts

What a shame to have to live that way. I bet that there was a lot of shoot, shovel and shoot up over there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 AM
civilizationsend.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyfarmer View Post
What a shame to have to live that way. I bet that there was a lot of shoot, shovel and shoot up over there.

well actually there are lots of old mine shafts that are not as deep as they used to be ... if you get my meaning ... but its just a rumor.

but unless you are a farmer you are not going to have to live this way, anyway , because in urban area's its not as bad ... but then again we have armed response linked alarms and our suburbs have been mostly divided into makeshift compounds closed off roads with armed guards at the gates and on patrol in the city.

this was more an ideal for SHTF planning - I am trying to get my suburban house as close to this plan as possible ... my neighbours that surround my house are like minded so we would just break the wall between the houses down and link our land to form a compound and defend it.

as for bug out, I have 3 friends out in the plots ( outlying small holdings about 20 km from my town ) who use this model for more secure living ... the community feeling there is strong and thats to our advantage I guess...

being in the minority and being discriminated against tends to cause that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Hunter

I believe they also invented my favorite- a disc blade packed with det-cord and filled with a mixture of concrete, nuts & bolts. Shame what Mrs.
Mugabe's little boy Robert has done to that once beautiful country. I did see one of their 1 Trillion dollar bills here in Dallas(enough for a few slices of bread)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to talon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,869 Posts

informative and timely, also an interesting observation that it is more dangerous to be in the country than in the city. A point which won't be lost on some here, I hope.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to methemom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,604 Posts

a lot of Zimbabwe farmers moved to Australia, some of course have not. have friends who used to export out of Zimb. what a set up!!!

If you want to fax a bank over there, you ring several days ahead to make sure they have paper...well in one case anyway.

Not hard to get a trillion dollar note either. Very sad times for a once very majestic country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gondwana For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 AM
civilizationsend.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondwana View Post
a lot of Zimbabwe farmers moved to Australia, some of course have not. have friends who used to export out of Zimb. what a set up!!!

If you want to fax a bank over there, you ring several days ahead to make sure they have paper...well in one case anyway.

Not hard to get a trillion dollar note either. Very sad times for a once very majestic country.
just for fun i bought one ....
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/35133...IRCULATED.html

now I'm a trillionairre
Old 03-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Hunter

Friend of mine lived 2 years in Zimbabwe about 10 years ago, working for a volunteer program.

He never knew when supplies would come, eighter if it was oil, gazoline, sugar, wheat or flour! For 6 months moast of the country had to live without / make their own petrol!

At the same time Mugabe bought himself 2 new private planes and upgraded the Airforce!

I know a few South Africans, many of them have left SA, leaving to UK, New Zealand & Australia.

Been a lot of murders on white farmers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_farm_attacks

Many of theese farmers live a SHTF situation every day.

Look at all this stuff this guy has to do before he goes to bed! Unbeliveable! This is what we can expect during SHTF. Your new everyday life!

Maby I should invenst in some proper "bear traps" with chain. Just in case!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gullars For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 08:05 AM
III

Thanked 2,486 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizero View Post
just for fun i bought one ....
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/35133...IRCULATED.html

now I'm a trillionairre
This is the same game plan that Barack Mugabe has in mind for the U.S.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 AM
civilizationsend.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKA8-...eature=related
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
civilizationsend.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY1qm...eature=related

but don't get me started ...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 PM

The spot light idea with reflectors is great.
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterBig For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,195 Times in 798 Posts

I like the design for the reflector light. That would keep the raiders from shooting the lights out and allow you to keep light on them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnWStiner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,576 Posts

It's too bad we can't evict everyone from Zimbabwe and foreclose on the country. I would very much like to homestead over there with my family, there's not a lot of oppurtunity left for farmers in the US to get ahead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 AM
civilizationsend.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by methemom View Post
informative and timely, also an interesting observation that it is more dangerous to be in the country than in the city. A point which won't be lost on some here, I hope.

the main reason for the observation is that infrastructure in the city allows for rapid response to threats, where as, long off-road excursions to help a neighbor, or to get help from yours, mean that time to threat neutralization is slower, many farmers use off-road motorbikes just for this.
remote areas allow for good camouflage, and an attacker ambushing you can leverage this to get really close undetected.

in a city there are many more threats but its easier to identify them as a camouflaged enemy has less place to hide. and its easier to respond to them because of better infrastructure, lighting and roads, this can be seen simply by the trend of wars to be fought in built up area's, guerrilla or small group tactics work best in cities, for both defense and attack ... in my opinion at least
The Following User Says Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by methemom View Post
Excellent point here.
Same story when the former Yugoslavia broke into 6 warring factions.
Isolated farmers caught the worst of it.
This was a very good post... lessons from the real world.
Thanks mate!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NucMedic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 AM
civilizationsend.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucMedic View Post
Excellent point here.
Same story when the former Yugoslavia broke into 6 warring factions.
Isolated farmers caught the worst of it.
This was a very good post... lessons from the real world.
Thanks mate!
no problem hope the post helps someone -- i especially like the lighting myself ... it is the first target cause it can be sniped from far off ... and it terrorizes defenders firstly having shots fired from afar and having your lights put out ...

the bottom line is it depends on what type of **** hits the fan ... what i would do ...

biological, chemical and even nuclear I would stay where i am -- I am better equipped staying where I am,

Civil unrest i would stay as long as i could, in the city, suburbs rarely get looted, its shops etc that people loot. looters are very seldom armed well and are more opportunistic, i don't plan on being an opportunity; )

Terrorist war I would leave the city... to much chance of being targeted... Invasion war I would stay in suburb where I am, at least at first.

other threats would be assessed as they arose..

the only thing i might bug out of the city is for a natural disaster that wiped out my home. but then again i am 600 km for the ocean and 1600m above sea level on a stable tectonic plate ... no earth quakes ... no hurricanes...
not a target of international terror, we only have one nuclear power plant and its 1000 km away from my home.

the only problems we ever really have here are droughts , .. and thats not going to sneak up on you...

and genocidal crime ... which we are insanely OK with cause we know how to deal with it...

in all cases if the threat was very dire i would bug out to one of my friends farms, always have a standing agreement to come work for food and shelter on his farm, if i needed too, he needs the hands to defend his place and has the space for our family.

Last edited by hawk55732; 04-22-2018 at 10:52 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post: