Stockpiling seeds for shtf - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stockpiling 22 long rifle for shtf / TEOTWAWKI kev Firearms General Discussion 71 10-20-2015 10:36 AM
Bought my first SHTF seeds, input wanted. Thanks! DocHoliday Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 14 12-12-2013 10:22 PM
Another stockpiling ammunition for shtf teotwawki article kev Firearms General Discussion 52 09-05-2012 10:23 PM
Stockpiling Seeds WillS Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 03-16-2012 07:38 PM
Stockpiling fishing gear for shtf kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 12-09-2011 11:24 PM
Stockpiling rifles and shotguns for shtf / teotwawki kev Firearms General Discussion 37 11-21-2011 04:43 AM
Stockpiling fishing gear for SHTF kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 55 10-05-2011 11:17 PM
Stockpiling food, ammo and fishing supplies for SHTF kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 08-08-2011 09:02 AM
Seeds and post SHTF Farming Phoenixdadeadhead Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 16 07-02-2009 04:16 AM
SHTF Garden Seeds from Larue Tactical (Great Label) 5.7mm Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 09-27-2008 02:00 PM

Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,230 Times in 7,835 Posts
Default Stockpiling seeds for shtf

Advertise Here

Lets say that the world goes to crap tomorrow. Some kind of long term SHTF situation has happened - plague, meteor, massive climate change,,,,, what does your SHTF seed stockpile look like this very second? If you walked to where your seeds are stored, pulled out the container, would you be happy, or disappointed?

I have decided to divide my seed stockpile between my home and my bug out location. With a variety of seeds stored in each location. One thing to take into consideration is pinto beans, which are high in protein. So if there is no meat, pinto beans can be eaten.

Some of my seed stocks:

Corn:
G-90 - Hybrid sweet corn
Truckers Favorite - Open pollinated field corn
Yellow Dent - Open pollinated field corn

Peas and Beans:
Roma II - snap bean
Texas purple hull pink eye
Mississippi purple hull pink eye
Purple hull pink eye BVR - the BVR stands for virus resistant. If you see some BVR peas, pick them up.
Contender bush bean
Blue lake bush bean
Pinto beans

I prefer bush beans over climbing beans - its just personal preference.

Squash:
Straight neck
Crook neck
Zucchini
Acorn
Couple of hybrids

Spinach:
Giant noble spinach

Radish:
Cherry Bell
Another type I can not remember the name of.

Be careful with radishes, there are several types out there that are hot, and some that are not hot. Radishes are an excellent seed to stockpile, as you can eat the whole plant, and it grows fast. At 15 days after planting, you should be able to pull up the sprouts and add them to a salad. Under ideal conditions, the plant should take 30 days to mature.

Various other seeds:
Bell pepper
Jalapeno pepper
Carrots
Lettuce
Cabbage
Broccoli

Last edited by kev; 03-23-2011 at 07:43 AM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM
J the painter

Thanked 10,820 Times in 4,886 Posts

exactly, the recent Japan events have made me reconcider many things, one is you could loose alll your prep in a instant, time for plan B
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Hiker

Yes I would be quite happy but have not finished yet. Am trying to get as many varieties of all different vegetables, herbs and flowers as possible. Have about two boxes the size of that large plastic one in your video and twice as deep (55 litres), mostly with vegetables.

I even keep seeds from any fruit that comes into my home ands have raised a couple of apple trees and a couple of pears from the seeds to see if they would come up and they did.

Am adding things like peanuts, coffee, stevia etc. just to make the varieties cover all different types of plants.

As I am planning (so far) to stay in they are all with me. The seed catalogues online and sent in the post (all heirloom companies) are great reading.

Don't know how long they will last but will have about 30 different varieties alone of tomatoes......
Have not finished yet. Far too many great varieties still not in my containers.

One problem out here my state will not allow corn seeds to come in from the states in the east but I can buy F1 hybrids in the stores...go figure !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,026 Times in 814 Posts

I would fall well into the disappointed category. While I am the stockpiler of SHTF stuff -- I am not the gardener. The gardener doesn't do the preps.
I'll just go ahead and take care of that.

I did notice that you mentioned storing the "BOL" seeds in the freezer. Is this necessary and do you store that large container of "house" seeds in the freezer as well?

Excellent video as always. I really enjoy them and appreciate the effort and thought put into them. Where I'm from I'd take along that corn. Yes the wildlife will eat the corn -- consider it a food plot for growing meat rather than a plot for growing corn. I'll have to think about the broadleaf mustard and pinkeye peas -- hmmmm. Shoot I just grew my first crop of "dry" beans last year!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
J the painter

Thanked 10,820 Times in 4,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBP View Post
I would fall well into the disappointed category. While I am the stockpiler of SHTF stuff -- I am not the gardener. The gardener doesn't do the preps.
I'll just go ahead and take care of that.

I did notice that you mentioned storing the "BOL" seeds in the freezer. Is this necessary and do you store that large container of "house" seeds in the freezer as well?

Excellent video as always. I really enjoy them and appreciate the effort and thought put into them. Where I'm from I'd take along that corn. Yes the wildlife will eat the corn -- consider it a food plot for growing meat rather than a plot for growing corn. I'll have to think about the broadleaf mustard and pinkeye peas -- hmmmm. Shoot I just grew my first crop of "dry" beans last year!
concider seeds being a very good barter item
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Forum Administrator

Default seeds for shtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBP View Post
What I call the "bug out location" is a single wide trailer house in a rural area. Its a 3 bedroom 2 bath sitting on several acres of private property. We have a fridge / freezer that the seeds will be stored in.

The large container in the video is stored in an upright deep freezer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,026 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
What I call the "bug out location" is a single wide trailer house in a rural area. Its a 3 bedroom 2 bath sitting on several acres of private property. We have a fridge / freezer that the seeds will be stored in.

The large container in the video is stored in an upright deep freezer.
Excellent!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,026 Posts

We got the well finished yesterday. We're just starting a small garden and will expand it as we get things going.
The first thing is I gota stop stepping on the plants.
We had piles of dirt everywhere from the well plumbing.
I don't have any seeds stocked yet. Where should I buy them?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
I don't have any seeds stocked yet. Where should I buy them?
Walk into the local feed and fertilizer store and talk to them.

The place where I buy my seeds, one of the owners is a master gardener. I can walk in there, and get answers to just about any question I have. If I tell them I want a non-hybrid seed, they can tell me exactly which seeds they have the fit my needs.

The local people will be able to talk to you about soil conditions, pest, diseases,,, better then anyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,155 Posts

"One thing to take into consideration is pinto beans, which are high in protein. So if there is no meat, pinto beans can be eaten." KEV

Black beans are suppose to be the best source of nutrients and fiber in the bean world.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 90,978 Times in 24,029 Posts

I have really have gotten into the planting of radishes and the different varieties. Like Kev said, they grow so fast and you can eat the whole plant. I like the Snow Belle, it's an all-white type of radish, similar in shape to the Cherry Belle.

1# for me is greenbeans, easy to grow and can. For years I didn't eat them, damn childhood memories of eating them too much.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Forum Administrator

One of the things about stockpiling more then 1 or 2 types of peas and beans - if their planted too close together they will cross pollinate.

Then, if you harvest the seeds from the plants that have cross pollinated, you will have a hybrid seed, which may or may not be viable next year.

Even if the hybrid seed is viable the second year, the saved seeds from the hybrid will probably not be viable.

Lets say that someone plants purple hull pink eye and Roma II next to each other and they cross pollinate.

Year 1 - same as parent.
Year 2 - hybrid plant, who knows what your going to get. May revert back to one of the parent plants.
Year 3 - seeds not viable, nothing grows. Or, the plant reverts back to one of the parents.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Station 44 - Ladder 751

I have no idea what seeds to stock up lOl but tryn to post 5 times so i can PM some of u to figure out
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Last of the First Line

For long term seed saving - being able to save seeds every year, instead of buying new every year - I'd recommend "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth. Don't know where I got the recommendation for that book (might have been here on SB), but it's one of the most important survival related books I currently own.

Before reading (some of) that book I had no idea that you had to let tomato seeds ferment before you stored them.

It covers literally, from seed to seed. How and when and where to plant. And then how and when and where to harvest the seeds from the plant you just grew from a seed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HammerHand For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 AM

I just ordered some and a few on hand hope it's not too late , ups ups .
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
On phonics

Thanked 2,465 Times in 844 Posts

For those wondering where to get heirloom vegetable seeds if unavailable locally. (I've noticed that Lowe's home improvement stores have some heirloom seeds and even tomato transplants for sale the past few years) Of course local feed stores as Kev mentioned are probably the best source.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/
http://www.southernexposure.com/
http://www.seedsavers.org/
http://rareseeds.com/
http://www.heirloomseeds.com/
http://www.seedforsecurity.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to hooked For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Market Farmer

Thanked 7,407 Times in 2,357 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Hey Kev, I don't see any maters on that list of yours. If I couldn't grow maters then I would have to call it quits!
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Just the facts, Ma'am.

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,271 Posts

I think I would be pretty happy right now if things went south. I am pretty light on grains though. I would want some wheat and barley seeds. I have some corn, but I would have to dedicate all I have to make enough seed to plant for the next year. That would be troublesome. Vegetable I have enough variety to make food appealing. I would have to dedicate half of my beans to making seed for the following year. I have enough beans in storage for eating. I think we would make it through the first year of a collapse, but if the crop failed the second or first year, we would be in mighty big trouble. I just planted most of my fruit trees and nut trees, only need the raspberries and blueberries to complete that part of the job, but I still won't get fruit for 3 years from now. That's a long time to wait when you're hungry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Simonson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHand View Post
For long term seed saving - being able to save seeds every year, instead of buying new every year - I'd recommend "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth. Don't know where I got the recommendation for that book (might have been here on SB), but it's one of the most important survival related books I currently own.

Before reading (some of) that book I had no idea that you had to let tomato seeds ferment before you stored them.

It covers literally, from seed to seed. How and when and where to plant. And then how and when and where to harvest the seeds from the plant you just grew from a seed.
I have this book...it's great!
The Following User Says Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Trapper

I highly recommend keeping some mung bean seeds for growing or sprouting. They are very easy to grow, produce a lot (almost 50:1 for me), and are easy to harvest.

Also, seeds + dirt do not make a garden. Practice your gardening skills. Keep seeds that grow well where you are, or are planning to be.