Protecting your home against raiders - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protecting home from outside contamination FrakkingToaster Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 08-13-2017 06:23 PM
info wanted on protecting home tooltime DIY - Do It Yourself 15 12-31-2014 01:32 PM
Real raiders GENT British Isles and ROI 2 02-17-2014 09:40 AM
Protecting a home with what dog?? bjones870 Urban Survival 138 05-28-2012 08:02 PM
Raiders! we will all raid! dirk21 Urban Survival 49 08-29-2011 09:29 AM
Your neighbors are already raiders Admiral Nelson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 06-04-2011 02:42 PM
Surviving Raiders... ISS Urban Survival 37 05-15-2011 11:26 AM
Whatever It Takes:Protecting Capitalism, Protecting the Tar Sands bikerdruid General Discussion 53 09-01-2010 11:11 AM

Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 AM

Default Protecting your home against raiders

Advertise Here

I live in a pretty out of the way place in the country and my home is where I plan to stay if the SHTF. I am curious as to the best way to barricade doors, windows, silding glass doors, etc against possible raiders. Any suggestions on materials and/or construction ... Thank you in advance ..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to efb176 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

logs work well, sheets of steel are expensive and heavy. Furniture isnt very bulletproof but may delay an intruder long enough to "neutralize the threat".
Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Prepared

I plan on screwing my bedroom doors (solid wood) to cover windows. I have 2x4's to help block exterior doors.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 AM

Default raider protection

I would suspect your best protection would be a low profile. Light disipline at night, smoke displine if you use wood for heat, limited access during times that leave a signature (snow), noise disipline etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schutzen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,025 Times in 4,674 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Try to be low profile and not attract attention such as having expensive stuff in your yard.

Here are some pics to show how I barricade my bunker door >>

Outside the front door of my bunker >

Locked door with logging chains and 2 locks >

Inside showing the metal bar barricading the front door of the bunker >

Large metal pipe about 5 feet long that I can look / shoot through and down on the private road 150 feet down hill >

Many more pics of my and some others bunkers and other kinds of shelters throughout this long pic and link filled thread > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 AM
Real keen on not dying

Thanked 2,144 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by efb176 View Post
I live in a pretty out of the way place in the country and my home is where I plan to stay if the SHTF. I am curious as to the best way to barricade doors, windows, silding glass doors, etc against possible raiders. Any suggestions on materials and/or construction ... Thank you in advance ..
Security Suggestions (Some of which can be expensive, but you asked for them):

External security: Go stealth as much as possible. Remove mailbox from the road, close off driveway with a enough small chopped trees to create the illusion that the drive way is grown over. Exercise noise discipline, reduce or eliminate the sounds of generators, chain saws, radios, vehicles, farm animals, etc as much as possible. Black out your light sources so that they cannot be seen from the outside (Light is a tip off that someone is there). Be aware of smells, such as burning wood smoke from a wood stove can be detected for quite some distance.

Points of entry (doors), Replace all exterior doors with steel doors (no window glass, only a peep hole to allow viewing of outsiders). Failing that, use solid hardwood doors. Additionally, if time permits, apply screw in hooks to the door frame/wall and string a criss cross pattern of chain over the door (it won't stop anyone, but the point is to make them stop to deal with the obstacle long enough to get a good, solid sight picture on your target). Lacking the chain, pile obstacles at doorways to make them pause to clear them, again giving you a chance for a good, solid shot.

Thick heavy dead bolt locks, two per door.

Locking security bars/grates over all windows (They can be unlocked from the inside to allow escape and allow daylight to come in).

Motion detectors to turn on outdoor flood lights can frighten away anything from a fox after your chickens to burglars. In a SHTF situation, they can illuminate your enemies outside without giving away your position (like shining a flashlight through the window would). In a EOTWAWKI situation, where the government and courts of law no longer exist, it will no longer be illegal to attach motion detectors to explosive charges wrapped with nails (for shrapnel), but I would not advise such extreme countermeasures while the courts are still in operation. BE CAREFUL not to blow yourself sky high with such devices (all it takes is getting too close to the motion detector while its active). DO NOT use such a trap if you have kids that might run past one while playing.

Outdoor security cameras (Camouflaged to reduce chances of being detected by raiders) can allow you to see what's going on outside your home, without exposing yourself to any hostile fire.

Large windows and sliding glass doors should be covered in sheet steel for the best protection. Plywood is more affordable, but less bullet resistant (Nail a tangle of razor wire over the plywood to discourage raiders from trying to work on removing the plywood. A motion detector activating a light/noise maker (alarm), or even a tin can with a handful of pebbles attached to the razor wire, can make enough noise to alert you to someone messing with the razor wire/plywood and allow you to respond accordingly. If sheet steel or plywood isn't available, sandbags can be used to "wall up" the weak points of windows and sliding doors. If sturdy "factory" sandbags aren't available, any burlap or canvas bags full of dirt will do (in a pinch, heavy duty trash bags full of dirt can be used, just make sure the bags aren't too big, or the weight of the dirt may cause them to rip while you are working with them).

Common sense precautions, make sure you have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors, just in case your dwelling is set on fire.

They are illegal in present times, but in a EOTWAWKI scenario, the laws will no longer apply to setting booby traps in and around your property to wound/kill attacking raiders. To this end, you may want to stock up on such things as mechanical bear traps and read up on how to make and effectively use punji sticks, pit traps, trip wires, improvised explosive charges and mines, etc. If you have kids, make sure they are old enough to understand the dangers before employing any booby traps. Likewise, take steps to protect any farm animals from accidentally wandering into one.

Every home is different, so you'll have to evaluate how many, if any, of the above suggestions might apply to your situation. They range from the simple advice of getting a smoke alarm all the way up to EOTWAWKI mine fields, hopefully something to cover most situations that may arise.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Omega Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 9,305 Times in 4,625 Posts

If someone wants to take your stuff they will. If you are that far off the beaten path no one is going to bother you.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Small Burrowing Creature

Thanked 1,706 Times in 933 Posts

If you're going to use interior doors as window blocks, please be sure your interior doors are not the common sort of hollow-core mass-produced door put up generically ever since the fifties. They pop. They splinter even when little girls kick them (ask my kid sister.) They will not stop a light caliber handgun much less serious business.

If you've replaced your interior doors with solid wood, please ignore this as a public service announcement.

I would get shutters instead, but that's me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Republican Bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 AM

I would recommend a safe room. Keep the things you need the most (You, Your family, Etc...) and get a riot shot gun. You want to load it with buck shot or slug. If everything else fails a safe room and a shotgun will work well.

For cheap safe room I would use a basement corner and line the inner walls with sand bags. its not perfect but its better than trying to run for it when Shtf.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,428 Times in 3,474 Posts

Do you have an alarm system now? Turn it on at night.

The rest is pure fantasy and a fire hazard.
The Following User Says Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 87,509 Times in 23,222 Posts

I have a few vulnerable areas including a few windows. I have bought a heavy wire mess that I plan to screw in the frame of the house from the inside.

It will NOT stop anyone if they really want to get in...but it will buy time for me, my dogs and Mr. AR-15 to get to that area to give them a proper welcoming!

If a gang, small army want to raid they will raid...I believe the trick is to convince them that the raid will cost them dearly. Hopefully they will move on the lower hanging fruit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBar67 View Post
Do you have an alarm system now? Turn it on at night.

The rest is pure fantasy and a fire hazard.
Any who know me, know that I don't like to argue.
But I don't understand the above post.

I can see maybe booby traps and such are fantasy although someday they might be needed IF things get bad enough.

An alarm system is good but being able to keep people out of your house etc. is also very good.

And barricading the door, hopefully a strong steel door is very good to keep people out.

I know that the fire department and police would not like it if they cannot break down a door but especially for people living in remote country areas far from someone to Save them, they must do what is necessary. And barricading a door is just one good thing for protection.

Having a stone or concrete house or bunker / storm shelter is even better for protection against bullets, tornadoes etc....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Small Burrowing Creature

Thanked 1,706 Times in 933 Posts

They weren't talking about 24/7 living in a barricaded house with blocked windows, anyway. Only for how to fortify their home during an emergency.

The alarm suggestion strikes me as so sad. You gonna wait for the cops to show up, finding this place way back in the hills? Won't the OP's family just be a crime scene by then? You could at least tell them to get a couple good dogs.

OP, I'd start with a strong front door with good locks, and blackout curtains. Then locking window shutters. Some good "defensive landscaping" around any easily-climbed into windows. Something thorny, varies by climate.

A couple good dogs would not go amiss either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Republican Bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,607 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Security Suggestions (Some of which can be expensive, but you asked for them):

External security: Go stealth as much as possible. Remove mailbox from the road, close off driveway with a enough small chopped trees to create the illusion that the drive way is grown over. Exercise noise discipline, reduce or eliminate the sounds of generators, chain saws, radios, vehicles, farm animals, etc as much as possible. Black out your light sources so that they cannot be seen from the outside (Light is a tip off that someone is there). Be aware of smells, such as burning wood smoke from a wood stove can be detected for quite some distance.
Stealth is a big one for me, and I would even take it a bit farther. If you can prepare some signs ahead of time that warn of a bio-hazard, indicate that the area is contaminated, or has been used by authorities to store something nasty (like diseased humans or animals), then you can set them up around the perimeter of your land. Of course this works best if you can't see your house from the road.

It would take some research to make your signs as authentic as possible so that you can fool even those who might tough to fool such as ex-military, government workers, medical personnel, etc.

My thought is that if you can camouflage yourself effectively, all your other defenses may not have to be tested.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,263 Times in 8,659 Posts

Long-term, there isn't much you can do that's likely to be effective other than somehow staying off the radar of raiders.

There are few situations that can be defended against a truly determined mob or team of raiders. Just a molotov cocktail under your home's eaves can be enough to drive you out. You can't defend the fire when you're under fire.

If it's a short-term emergency, then making your home a harder nut to crack than others around you will work. Nobody wants to raid a defended or difficult home when there are undefended and easy homes they can raid.

The methods described above will work against a couple of people, unlikely that they'd work against a team that has any idea what they're doing.

Even the idea of having firing slits from which one may shoot and defend is not going to be all that effective against smart raiders. I can shoot 1" groups from 100 yards w/ my M4 (handloaded ammunition) with a scope. I could lie in cover, and simply zero in on any firing slits. Not that hard to fire shots through them, and hit whomever is behind that slit.

The best I've seen is Von Helman's new home, made of poured concrete. That could resist fire, can resist a lot of things. But almost nobody other than he has a home like that.

I'm sorry to be less optimistic, but the best you can do is make your home harder to defeat than an easier target, so they go elsewhere. But eventually, they'll be coming back.
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,048 Posts

This may sound silly, but severed heads on poles in the front yard would work for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Anarchist/Animist Primate

Thanked 10,607 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
This may sound silly, but severed heads on poles in the front yard would work for me.
A good idea, but collecting them can be... troublesome.

Maybe you could use something a little easier to get your hands on. There is a company called Skullduggery that sells skull replicas that look 100% real. See...

http://skullduggery.com/skulls.htm

That might be a good alternative that would still get your point across.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horned One For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Try to be low profile and not attract attention such as having expensive stuff in your yard.

Here are some pics to show how I barricade my bunker door >>

Outside the front door of my bunker >

Locked door with logging chains and 2 locks >

Inside showing the metal bar barricading the front door of the bunker >

Large metal pipe about 5 feet long that I can look / shoot through and down on the private road 150 feet down hill >

Many more pics of my and some others bunkers and other kinds of shelters throughout this long pic and link filled thread > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=107463
Thats pretty crafty. I understand the benefits big time in this. I have always wondered. Shouldnt a person worry about getting smoked out. The pipe to shoot through is creative.
The Following User Says Thank You to AT&T For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT&T View Post
Thats pretty crafty. I understand the benefits big time in this. I have always wondered. Shouldnt a person worry about getting smoked out. The pipe to shoot through is creative.
Thanks I used the plans for the small pole shelter to make the main room of the bunker from this book > www.oism.org/nwss

but I did add many of my own ideas such as the 2 steel doors, beams, periscope, etc. unbreakable plastic window which I usually have boarded up, covered and can even put rocks, dirt or sandbags over.

I also have more than one porthole which are not seen from the outside and much camo. Doing all of the camo has taken a great deal of time and effort.

About getting smoked out is that is a concern that I believe I definitely have solved. Although my mtn retreat is very remote and well hidden and any possible raiders would have a couple dozen cabins a mile or so away, to break into long before they would ever find my place.

For a forest fire, I would very likely bug out to a safer area if I was warned and had time. But I do strongly believe my bunker/shelter would be very safe from even a forest fire. I would seal it up for a few hours. I also have a periscope to look up and out near the back trap door.
Which is good also in case of raiders.

About raiders is that they would first have to find my bunker.
And I would know long before they came, that there are raiders coming. I do have quite a few portholes to look/shoot out of. As I showed previously in one pic, of the long pipe that is my main porthole which I can also seal up if necessary. Even seal with a heavy metal plate that can be bolted shut.

Also my front black steel door is way inside and difficult to get to. One has to go thru a shed that covers the door. I can have man traps on the entrance to this bunker door. I would rather not tell Everything about those booby traps. I suppose it is against the rules on this forum anyway.

The only possible way to "smoke me out" of the bunker is thru the stovepipe which I would take down If there is time and If they were to foil the traps etc. ever hear of toepoppers? anyway, it is very difficult to get up to the stovepipe and If they could get gasoline, a smoke bomb or whatever down the pipe I could seal it.
The room my bunk bed is in is not the same room as the stove or stovepipe. It would be the most understandable if any were to actually see my bunker in person.

I know what I have and it is NOT fantasy. It has taken me years to build, a little every summer. But I explain about all of that in the pic threads....

Hope everyone can also have a good safe room, storm or fallout shelter and even a bunker if they would ever need it someday.
People can use whatever they wish to and what works for them. IF people will build Some kind of good shelter before it is too late so they would not have to someday say: "Oh, if we only had a good protective shelter so we would not now be in danger of dying from this - tornado, wildfire, attack from raiders, whatever....
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 8,623 Times in 3,291 Posts

I think a safe room is the way to go. In most real life situations, bad guys move on to easy pickens.