Urban Caching - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caching NoFlyZone Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 148 02-03-2016 08:24 AM
Geo-Caching cyber-hazard General Discussion 9 11-06-2013 07:08 PM
Geo Caching jodier7 General Discussion 31 04-10-2013 01:02 AM
Caching Writer's Block Urban Survival 26 06-08-2012 10:07 PM
Caching? What's the skinny? AZman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 11-19-2010 08:20 PM
Stashing and Caching forrestdweller Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 01-08-2010 02:54 PM
Caching Clothes? Werwolverine Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 04-28-2009 10:11 AM
Caching Advice gridless Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 01-10-2009 11:36 AM
Caching Clothes. Werwolverine Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-25-2008 10:06 PM
How do you caching txsred66 Reviews and questions 8 10-06-2008 11:52 PM

Old 01-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Never too old to learn!

Default Urban Caching

Advertise Here

Let's face it, most won't bug out. So, how do you cache in a heavily urban setting. I don't like the thought of my home being an armory.

Here's a starter:

I always walk and on rainy days I wear a poncho. There are many small wooded parks and green areas around. It is easy to hide a lot of items under the poncho. I try to choose a day with a drizzle or a light rain, not a down-pour. I go into one of these areas, not another soul is out and about. I go off the beaten path, shift an old fallen log or a large stone and place a waterproof packet under it. Then you scatter some old leaves and brush to cover the disturbance. The falling moisture helps hide things quickly.

Keep a dairy of all the areas.

I doubt if someone would find them with a metal detector.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to packhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM

I've been thinking lately about using areas that are already secured. In an urban area bus and train stations already have lockers for rent, usually for less than a few bucks.

Of course I wouldn't use a public locker for anything I couldn't afford to lose like expensive equipment and certainly not a weapon of any sort.

But a few days of food and water could be stored away. I would also make sure to find out how often the lockers are cleaned out by the renting agency and rotate which lockers you use every week or so, so that it doesn't look like it's been abandoned and gets cleaned out.

Just a thought. Hard to bury PVC pipe in a city.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Wasteland Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHyde View Post
I've been thinking lately about using areas that are already secured. In an urban area bus and train stations already have lockers for rent, usually for less than a few bucks.
This is a great idea, however I know they get cleaned out rather frequently.

If you have a university or a collage nearby that doesn't require you to rent a locker, you can easily throw stuff in one of those between the months of September - April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Never too old to learn!

A couple years back I lived in a place where I had to raise some of my sidewalk. A lot of sand in our soil. When I lifted the slabs (they were 4X4 feet) I had an idea to cache under one.

1) Dug a trench about 10 inches wide, sloping down between 20-30 degrees.

2) Slide in a 6 inch X 46 inch PVC container into an 8 inch by 46 inch open ended cylinder (plastic pipe, old ceramic tile, etc.)

3) Placed this into the trench. The high end of the cylinder was about 2 inches back from the edge of the sidewalk with the top of it level with the ground the slab would set on. The slope left the pipe fully under the slab

4) Covered the sloping portion with sand.

5) Replaced the slab. The grass on ether side was not disturbed.

6) Later when I removed it I took two shovel-fulls of soil out along side of the sidewalk and slid out the container, which was like new with mint condition contents.

The neighbors didn't pay any attention to what I was doing. It took me a couple of days to raise all the slabs about a 40 foot length. I was very careful when I took the cache out to hide, had other pieces of PVC and tile lying around in the yard while I worked.

If anyone came along with a metal detector I don't think they would have broken up my sidewalk for all the neighbors to see.

I have a few more experiments I tried and and a few ideas I have not which I will share later.

Hope this gets you thinking on how to cache in the city.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to packhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 AM
I DRANK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!

That's a great idea! Keeping on the pipe theme, you could use a posthole digger to quickly and efficiently dig holes almost anywhere and drop in PVC caches. Although, it would be necessary to make sure that no construction projects happened to uncover your stash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlowe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,427 Times in 4,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhorse View Post
Let's face it, most won't bug out. So, how do you cache in a heavily urban setting. I don't like the thought of my home being an armory.

Here's a starter:

I always walk and on rainy days I wear a poncho. There are many small wooded parks and green areas around. It is easy to hide a lot of items under the poncho. I try to choose a day with a drizzle or a light rain, not a down-pour. I go into one of these areas, not another soul is out and about. I go off the beaten path, shift an old fallen log or a large stone and place a waterproof packet under it. Then you scatter some old leaves and brush to cover the disturbance. The falling moisture helps hide things quickly.

Keep a dairy of all the areas.

I doubt if someone would find them with a metal detector.
If you are not burying it at least 1 or even better 2 to 3 feet deep the next time the Parks and Recreation dept. landscapes the area your waterproof packet will be discovered and you will have lost your prep.

My Idea is to pull up some fence posts, on my property and dig the hole deeper than I need for a new post, casche whatever I want to bury in PVC pipe with contents sealed in mylar with or without O2 absorbers depending on content then replace the post. The position is marked by the post and if you use a metal post a buried casche, with metal contents, would be nearly impossible to find.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Small Burrowing Creature

Thanked 1,708 Times in 933 Posts

I'm thinking of caching in the yards of the friends who want me to do/help with their gardening. I don't have a garden of my own and I miss it and everybody and their brother of my husbands' friends are like "****, you wanna take care of a front yard so it looks nice, come do it at my house."
The Following User Says Thank You to Republican Bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Never too old to learn!

Lone Star,

Sorry I didn't clarify. The areas I am talking about are not manicured. They are small rustic wooded lots.

Otherwise you are right; bury it deep.

Also, great idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to packhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 AM

Wow this is an interesting thread. I live in a Rural area and can cache as much as I need. I was just wondering what types of things are you caching ? are you talking about a few days worth of food? weapons? ammunition? Or is that a discussion for another forum. I'm new here and haven't been around but there seems to be a wealth of information.
The Following User Says Thank You to riderx101 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Grumpy Old Man

It's so frustrating... I have enough stuff to make 4 or 5 caches of everything I would need for an emergency Bug-out, but for the life of me, I can't think of secure places to put them. I live in a suburban area that is constantly being re-developed. No place is secure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Getting There.

I'm curious about the contents of the caches as well, just food, water and medicine? I'm thinking about caching some of those things, but I'm also going to throw a few tools in there like a crowbar, hammer, few screwdrivers, maybe a lockpick kit, some batteries, etc.

This is an interesting thread, giving me something to think about. I live in the city but we have a small creek near our apartment- I'm wondering if the higher parts of the banks would be a decent place to store a few caches. It could probably flood in rainy weather and the water is used for sewage overflow sometimes, how could I be sure it wouldn't float away or become contaminated? Advice appreciated.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Never too old to learn!

I look to just put some items outside of the home. Looters, over-zealous officers, whatever may take what is obvious away. I would like to have back-up.

Some of my caches are small, a pistol, a few boxes of ammo, or some food or medical supplies. Others may be quite large. It all depends on the security of the area.

Danganga, I would never put anything in a river bank. I went into a city after a major flood. The water took out roads and highways. It sheared buildings in half and did major changes to waterways.

Since Republican Bunny mentioned gardening, here are a few thoughts I have had.

1) You could bury a nice size box under your compost pile if you have one.

2) Again, place something in a larger hole and plant a creeping cypress bush or similar item over it. They are really a mess to dig down through.

3) Place three or four yucca plant in a triangle or small square. But first, drop a cache down in the center. Again this is not an easy patch of veretation to work in.

4) If you have flower beds that are heavily mulched. It is really easy to move the mulch aside hide bury a few small items and cover it over again. It never looks disturbed. I use 6-10 inches of wood chips, depending on the plants.

Remember, this is urban caching. This is my yard or a neighbors yard. I haven't seen many of the neighbors recently going through the yards with a metal detector. Nor have any strangers been digging in my yard recently.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Never too old to learn!

Not everyone has yard space. So you need to use the inside.

Consider this: Pull the front panel off the front of a small upright piano and look at the space. You can store a small arsenal in it and still play the thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to packhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Default Good thought but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHyde View Post

Of course I wouldn't use a public locker for anything I couldn't afford to lose like expensive equipment and certainly not a weapon of any sort.

But a few days of food and water could be stored away. I would also make sure to find out how often the lockers are cleaned out by the renting agency and rotate which lockers you use every week or so, so that it doesn't look like it's been abandoned and gets cleaned out.

Just a thought. Hard to bury PVC pipe in a city.
... train stations and, especially, bus stations, as a storage area in an urban area? Those places are sketchy enough to be in when everything is running smoothly in good times... ha!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Come and Take It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhorse View Post
Not everyone has yard space. So you need to use the inside.

Consider this: Pull the front panel off the front of a small upright piano and look at the space. You can store a small arsenal in it and still play the thing.
If you can make a stud wall and make a horizontal cavity along the pat of some electrical wiring (perhaps with a header if needed) you could hide a longarm behind that wall and the signature of the wiring would co-inside with the metal signature of the rifle. A metal detector would pick it up and the operator would assume it is just the wiring (sharing the same space).

This would pass most searches (unless they were going to bust out the sheetrock in every wall).
The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Never too old to learn!

Lone Star, that just reminded me of another way to cache in your yard.

You do have to be very cautious with this one. But the electrical signal is great masking.

CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION! If you have buried power cables for your house, especially if there is a garden or flower beds above it, carefully dig down about one foot and place your cache above the line. Most lines are two feet deep and two feet in from the property line.

I dug my own trench and know exactly where the line is. The power company did one of my neighbors and what a death trap. At the most they went down one foot and diaged from the pole at the corner of the lot to the corner of the house which was located 7 feet from the property line..

Like I said: CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I DRANK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!

Would it be possible to shield from a metal detector by using lead?

There's a problem with caching metal objects near electrical wires, at least outside. Postfan, no one is going to be fanning across your yard with a metal detector. That would take way too long and be ridiculous when 99% of people are going to have nothing interesting buried back there. What you'd need to be worried about would be metal detecting radar on an aircraft, especially something like a UAV that could operate without much human intervention, and would probably be able to get a complete image of the area.

It all depends on the resolution, but more than likely it's going to be able to see the electrical line, and then underneath or above the line, a huge unexplained blob (a pistol or rifle). This is imaging - not beeps, but pictures. The thing is going to tack an alert on that and have someone or something go check it out in more detail.

I'm not saying that Terminators are going to be digging up your yard...but an aggressor certainly isn't going to send brazillions of foot soldiers out to search everyone's yard with a metal detector. If you have anything to worry about, it would be automated airborne drones, or *maybe* satellites in the distant future.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Come and Take It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Would it be possible to shield from a metal detector by using lead?

There's a problem with caching metal objects near electrical wires, at least outside. Postfan, no one is going to be fanning across your yard with a metal detector. That would take way too long and be ridiculous when 99% of people are going to have nothing interesting buried back there. What you'd need to be worried about would be metal detecting radar on an aircraft, especially something like a UAV that could operate without much human intervention, and would probably be able to get a complete image of the area.

It all depends on the resolution, but more than likely it's going to be able to see the electrical line, and then underneath or above the line, a huge unexplained blob (a pistol or rifle). This is imaging - not beeps, but pictures. The thing is going to tack an alert on that and have someone or something go check it out in more detail.

I'm not saying that Terminators are going to be digging up your yard...but an aggressor certainly isn't going to send brazillions of foot soldiers out to search everyone's yard with a metal detector. If you have anything to worry about, it would be automated airborne drones, or *maybe* satellites in the distant future.
There are many SHTF scenarios one that I consider a possibility is arms consfication. I am not aware of any metal detector that can work with precision at altitude in fact the only one I know of is not detailed and requires a Lockheed Electra to make it airborne it is called a Magnetic Anomoly Dector (MAD) and is used to find the magnetic signature of submarines.

A drone could take photographs (which are used to find archeological sights). One archeologist claims he has found the location of the First Temple in the holy land and through intrepetation of photographs can identify the places where the tent stakes were driven in near the Temple Site (by the 12 tribes of Israel that camped there). I would be more worried about this but not by much these drones will be looking for activity not buried cashes. It might catch you digging it up but I doubt it will find your hideyhole.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 32,087 Times in 13,399 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Great topic!

I might add there is a file available for download from the Survival Files section:

SF Caching Techniques

Might be worth adding to your collection and maybe some pointers
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OLDWarrior64 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM
sic transit gloria mundi

When things get to the point that weapon confiscation begins, I believe:
  • It's likely that there will be at least one radar backscatter van available for communities of any significant size. So, forget all the clever hiding places in the home or even disassembling and hiding in the walls - any metal will absolutely glare on the monitor regardless of whether you put it in the walls, in the attic. It's possible the system won't pick up items in the basement or crawl space. With this system, there's no need to go from house to house to search as they'll find the target rich homes just by driving by.
  • Ditto, for storage sheds and rental storage units.
  • Personally, I think that the public parks and such will be searched even before individual homes as they are the locations that everyone is talking about hiding their stuff.

IMHO, get it the hell out of town and more than a 50' off a roadway.