Evacuation strategy - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evacuation prep help Clesheau Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 06-01-2015 10:22 PM
BOL Evacuation Purdy Bear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 02-20-2014 07:04 PM
Bug Out / Evacuation kit for Africa ConfederateColonel Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 08-13-2013 08:55 AM
Bicycle evacuation Anomylous Urban Survival 147 04-11-2013 01:46 PM
Evacuation Plans redflare Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 06-30-2012 12:05 AM
Evacuation of chicago Jeffro589 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 05-02-2012 12:46 AM
Evacuation. CiviSheepDog1017 Manmade and Natural Disasters 20 02-22-2012 08:52 AM
NYC evacuation corndogggy Urban Survival 22 08-28-2011 10:15 PM
Evacuation Anthro03 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-16-2010 11:37 PM
Evacuation II Ammo Urban Survival 1 05-20-2007 12:13 AM

Old 04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,134 Times in 7,814 Posts
Default Evacuation strategy

Advertise Here

Getting out of a major city can be a rather complex problem.

Having enough fuel to get out will be the first problem - you and your family not not go anywhere without gasoline.

Maps and more maps
- the stores will be sold out before you get there.

Food and water along the way. A lot of people pack clothes, toys, DVD players, even TV's and other non survival items instead of food and water. Have enough food and water for everyone for at least 4 days.

Having a place to go - I plan on addressing this factor with this site. Most people leave with out having a clue where they are going. Most find theirselves out of money and sleeping in their cars rather quickly.

Bring portable shelter like a tent and sleeping bags
. If you and your family are unable to find a hotel/motel then maybe you can camp in a state / national park - hey its better then nothing.

Have a way to cook
- bring a portable grill. Even if you have to use twigs and sticks from a road side park, its still a way to cook. A portable grill and the hot meals it provides can be a real morale booster.

Have good quality ice chest
, a cold drink with that hot meal feels pretty good.

Keep a couple of frozen one gallon bottles of water in the deep freezer.
These can take a day or two to thaw out and will keep your food cold longer then a bag of ice. Plus you can drink the water once it thaws. Having your own ice will be nice when the stores are sold out.

Hand sanitizer and toilet paper
- bring plenty of both.

Last edited by kev; 04-10-2007 at 02:31 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,797 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Good advise, for any situation.
Especially about the packing of non essentails.
some items still needed for occuping younger children.
After reading the reports, posted here, on the hurricaines, I think 4 days should be a minimum, on food & water..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,134 Times in 7,814 Posts

I might do a video on this topic - from the bed of my truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:

Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Pastor

Thanked 1,517 Times in 589 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

What you say is correct, people do not think about food and water, but that TV has too come
I have food and water supply, planted in many stratigic locations.
Some is just a few days supply for 2, and some are several weeks for a larger group.
And still, some is many hundreds of pounds of dry goods, along with cemicals too purify water, meds etc.
Everyone must concider thier own personal situations, and how they plan to survive, the WalMart will be closed.
Remember, some of the "Long Term" stores, should be re-plantable, ie:
Beans, grains, except rice, etc.
How long will this unknown event last?
The Following User Says Thank You to RevPaul For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2007, 10:24 PM
I love this forum

Location: North Woods; but not the REAL north woods; not the northwoods that has icebergs
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Informative Post 

Very good points
A water filter can save lives and is the single best investment you can make as people quickly fall victim to dehydration. Kool-aide type products will entice children to drink water more often.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Loup-Garou

I've been thinking about this alot lately.

And if SHTF, and I have to move, I don't think I'm going anywhere in a vehicle. I'll be walking: the area where I live is in the gray twilight-zone between center-city, and suburbia. Simply put- roadwise- I live in bottleneckland. All of the backroads that connect to major roads, and major roads that merge- do so almost on my doorstep. I don't have a big family to look after, so the walkabout option doesn't bother me too much...

...just have to survive teaching the missus how to speedmarch.

But what do you guys think? Am I just plain nuts for ditching the idea of a vehicle born bugout, or do you think it has some validity?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jocke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2007, 06:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,155 Times in 919 Posts

Jocke,

You know your own situaltion best. The bug out method should depend on where you going and the obsticles you will face on the way there. Also, what it is you're tyring to get away from. These factors will dictate the criteria for stealth, speed, capibility and protection.

Don't be too quick to exclude vehicle. If you see the warning signs early enough your bug out might not hit bad traffic.

FWIW, my current bug-out strategy has 3 levels. First vehicle, then bicycles if the vehicle needs to be abandoned and then foot. I want to add 4-wheeler and canoe to that list, but I don't have those yet. Just as important as the mode of transportation is the travel plan, including contingencies, for each mode.

Cheers,
-Per.
The Following User Says Thank You to Per Ardua For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Loup-Garou

Obstacle for me would be distance. It's about 100 miles. Mostly flat country, to start with- the last quarter or so leads up into the mountains. So, lugging a BOB for me and the missus, not caring about her happiness at all, I should be able to drag her there in roundabout 20 hrs.

Even quicker, if I ditch the bag.

Also, I think what got me on the track of just trekking it out is the fact that I know that when I do that, I can "stay off the radar". And avoid people alot easier. Map, Compass- I know where I start, and I know where I'm going, and how far it is= I can stay as far away from roads, and houses as I'd like.

Or, more likely, it's just because the infantryman in me refuses to bug out by vehicle. :D

Per- I can see canoes strapped to the roof of a BOV- but 4 wheelers? I don't want to come off as being disrespectful, or belittling (I'm just curious), what are you planning as far as 4 wheelers are concerned?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,155 Times in 919 Posts

100 miles cross country in 20 hours... That's pretty darn good in my book!

As to the wheelers (and no disrespect taken), my first option is not bugging out but rather bugging in. If I get to the stage of bugging out, I'd be concerned about the ability to travel roads (lots of reasons why this could be a problem). While there are several road options for travel to the bug-out locations, there are also lots of options for off-road routes. My truck is 4-wheel drive with an off-road package, but there are routes a wheeler could take that my truck with trailer behind wouldn't be able to make it though. If it's bad enough for me to want to get out of Dodge, then I want as many options open to me as possible.

Cheers,
-Per.
The Following User Says Thank You to Per Ardua For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,797 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Jocke,
I agree with Per Ardua, on this one.
Beating feet with the wife, would likely be a last option.
That 20 hrs for 100 miles is 5 miles per hour. If you RAN an 8 minute mile it would take 13.3 hours. That is loafing, for some folks, but nowadays, my sneakers start to melt at that speed.
That would be real tought to maintain, especially off an improved surface.
Just my thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Loup-Garou

Well, that would rough up to 8 km's an hour. That I can do. It certainly won't be fun, or easy (feet will look like roastbeef) but I can do it. Best to use the vigour of my youth while I have it! But then again- that pace is for a crisis that I would have to move for- and move quickly, too.

I always seem to plan for the worst. Clogged roads, imminent danger, etc. etc.

If the situation permits it, we'll just pack up in the car and go. (Just that I don't think it will!)

Per- ok, I see now. Just remember to not load them too high- they can topple rather easily then. And also, beware of their dreaded fun-factor! :D

Last edited by Jocke; 04-20-2007 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Same as always: Spelling&Grammar.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I love this forum

Location: North Woods; but not the REAL north woods; not the northwoods that has icebergs
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Informative Post 

Everyone's situation is different but you may want to consider bicycles or a wheel barrow. Personaly, I would collapase after 1 hour at 5 mph.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:58 PM
A friend of the Site

Think what ever mode of transport you were planning to use, i would plan for having tools and a few crytical spare parts.
For a vehicle, a small tool kit, fan belt, extra water, a few vital fuilds, 12 volt compressor and tire repair kit.
For a bike a extra tube, hand air pump, small hand tools to replace a slipped chain.
If you on foot, extra boots or shoes, socks and moleskin

Just minor fixes nothing major.
The Following User Says Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 15,130 Times in 4,263 Posts

I would have to add that people make sure there is appropriate clothing in your BOV as well. Plan for rain and cold weather. Bring blankets and warm clothing-even in the summer. You can get pretty cold if caught outside in a rainstorm. Pillows are a big plus for morale to.

I keep some light tackle in a compartment in my bov. Fishing kills time and puts food on the fire.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I Love Guns

on the fishing kit...how many ppl here has taken 15 foot of fishing line....a few sinkers and some hooks fishing and thats it.....try it sometime...nice to have but if u never fished like that....man it sucks lol
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 15,130 Times in 4,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.A.Survivalist View Post
on the fishing kit...how many ppl here has taken 15 foot of fishing line....a few sinkers and some hooks fishing and thats it.....try it sometime...nice to have but if u never fished like that....man it sucks lol
You can wrap it around an empty coke can and have a makeshift reel. With practice, you can cast with it too.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
READY&ABLE

Thanked 1,138 Times in 532 Posts

i have seen fly fishing step ups that brake down into a small case....talking, maybe 2 lbs...cheap too, like 40 bucks on ebay.. comes with flies and extra line...