Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woodland Molle Pouches 4 pack $6.99 victor23 For Sale 0 03-19-2015 06:10 PM
Woodland Molle Double Mag pouches 4 pack $8.95 victor23 For Sale 0 06-27-2014 03:23 PM
Pouches for Molle Bag hockeymanrmb Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 06-18-2014 02:51 PM
Large pack for hunting? External vs Internal frame. moab90245 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 12-31-2013 09:35 PM
MOLLE pouches nodgree Reviews and questions 11 02-23-2013 02:34 PM
Large Woodland Molle pack with pouches $45 victor23 For Sale 10 05-10-2012 10:06 PM
WTB: MOLLE Pouches PhilthyTurtle Looking for - want to buy 0 04-25-2012 02:16 AM
USGI Molle II Large Assault Pack Review 3fires Reviews and questions 9 11-22-2010 06:25 PM
Molle pouches and mods on your molle (capable) pack? Ursus Reviews and questions 3 08-29-2010 01:02 AM
Now that I have a large molle pack kev Reviews and questions 13 03-17-2010 07:35 PM

Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,064 Times in 7,806 Posts
Default External pouches for a large molle pack

Advertise Here

I have switched over to a large molle II pack as my main camping pack - except when I'am going lightweight. The problem is, the large molle II lacks external pouches. I added a small maxpedition clam pouch, which is about 6 X 4 - its great for small items like my wallet and keys.

What I need is 2 - 3 large pouches that will hold rain gear, or a 1 pound bottle of propane. A buddy of mine said to get the sustainable pouches that go on the side. I might go that route, but I would like some smaller pouches strapped to the backside.

Take a look at the medium alice pack or the large alice pack - that pouch system is something like what I want to add to my large molle.

Here is a video comparing the molle pack and the medium alice pack.

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Simmer down now

Thanked 2,457 Times in 979 Posts

The sustainment pouches are great for side mount, as your buddy recommended.

For smaller pouches you should check out the molle radio pouch.

Here's a link to an ebay seller that has them $20 for two shipped. I've bought a few sets from him. He is a very reliable seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOLLE-RADIO-POUC...item518e17176a
Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM

I use these on my pack.

This one holds a 1050 pelican case just right.
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma8utilitypouch.aspx

I use this one for my personal items and a fire starter kit.
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma21emtpouch.aspx

And the last major pouch I use is this, it contians my trama kit.
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma20foldoutmedicalbag.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to 705 For This Useful Post:

Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,756 Posts

Kev,

5.11 has the cheapest quality Molle compatible pouches available. Lots of stuff for almost anything and it's all $20 or less.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:50800:50811
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 AM
Like MacGyver, but w/guns

The biggest molle pouches I'm familiar with are the sustainment pouches that have already been mentioned. They are pretty cheap if you can find them surplus. 200rd saw pouches or dump pouches might be another option even if they are smaller.

Personally I'd use another external bag to hold your rain gear separate. Maybe the sleep system carrier or a stuff sack strapped to the outside top or bottom.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Forum Administrator

I have decided to go with the sustainment pouches. There are some people on ebay that have 6 of them for less then $30 - 2 for me, 2 for my sons pack and 2 for spares.

One question I have though - how well does a 32 ounce water bottle fit into the pouch?

My son has one of those molle packs with the external sleep system. The problem with the pack (watch the above video), there is no way to attach a canteen or water bottle to the pack. So will the sustainment pouches work as a water bottle holder?

As for my large molle pack - will those pouches fit on the back of the pack - like a medium alice - or do they "have" to go on the side?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM
great survivalist *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I have decided to go with the sustainment pouches. There are some people on ebay that have 6 of them for less then $30 - 2 for me, 2 for my sons pack and 2 for spares.

One question I have though - how well does a 32 ounce water bottle fit into the pouch?

My son has one of those molle packs with the external sleep system. The problem with the pack (watch the above video), there is no way to attach a canteen or water bottle to the pack. So will the sustainment pouches work as a water bottle holder?

As for my large molle pack - will those pouches fit on the back of the pack - like a medium alice - or do they "have" to go on the side?
if you are going to put anything heavy in a molle pouch, that cost less than $6, i would recomend renforcing the seams. i bough a couple molle pouches off ebay, put them on a pack, went to the woods for a hike, hiked for a couple miles, set up camp and then realise one of my molle pouches was missing and the other was literally hanging by a thread. i learned my lesson and i don't cheap out on my pouches anymore.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM
great survivalist *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
Kev,

5.11 has the cheapest quality Molle compatible pouches available. Lots of stuff for almost anything and it's all $20 or less.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:50800:50811
ak,
those are the best prices i have ever seen on (quality)molle pouches. thanks for the link.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Forum Administrator

Default sustainment pouches

Quote:
Originally Posted by helliott123 View Post
if you are going to put anything heavy in a molle pouch, that cost less than $6,
Thank you for the warning.

The ones I'am looking at on ebay are supposed to be GI issue / military surplus..
Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Historian & Archaeologist

Thanked 1,726 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

i use 2 sustainment pouches on my large alice. 1 for my random tools and such and the other for my food. i took camping the other day in my food pouch: 3 cans of chili, 3 cans chicken noodle, 1 32 oz powerade, beef jerky, 4 boxes worth of macaroni (i condense them with ziplock bags) and 2 instant breakfast packages.

they can hold quite a bit if you need them to. and mine are surplus so they are quite strong in the seams.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helliott123 View Post
ak,
those are the best prices i have ever seen on (quality)molle pouches. thanks for the link..
It's decent stuff for decent prices. I don't have a problem spending the money for what I want but pouches are spendy from some folks and I don't see the justification.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,042 Posts

Kev,

If you PM me, i got a 40-lot of radio pouches from E-Bay, and had velcro sewn on the top for closure, and they work GREAT!. I am keeping about 15 of them but sure don't need the others. If you want to pay for shipping and a small amount, I would be glad to sell them to you real cheap. They are desert camo.

Or if Kev only needs a couple, I can sell them to anyone else who might be interested. I got them cheap. Just a quirky one-of-a-kind deal on E-Bay a while back.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoWildcat View Post
Kev,

If you PM me, i got a 40-lot of radio pouches from E-Bay, and had velcro sewn on the top for closure, and they work GREAT!.
Thank you - I posted a comment on your profile.

6 sustainment pouches were ordered from ebay lat night. Their woodland camo, and are supposed to be army surplus.

This will give me 3 external pouches - 2 sustainment pouches and 1 maxpedition clam pouch. I want the clam pouch for small items - like a multi-tool, place to put my wallet, truck keys, maybe a mag-light,,,,,, stuff like that.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,047 Posts

I have yet to make the jump from the ALICE pack it just keeps going no matter what you do to it.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM
2B1ASK1

Thanked 1,565 Times in 535 Posts

you could put your rain gear in the MSS system if you have one. I did that with my Gortex when I was in the military, easy access and I was able to hold more then just the sleeping bag in the MSS. or you could go for a butt pack under the MSS too.DOC
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM

The Molle II Waist/Fanny pack goes for about $10 and I have added fastex buckles to around the pack frame and through the medium Alice D rings so it sits on the top of my Hellcat under the main strapes so it won't flop around. Holds two contractor bags, two desert pattern ponchos at about $8 each and thinking about adding a poncho liner and a compression bag since I don't normally carry the sleep system bag when just day hiking.

Cheap and effective.