Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brunton 0.06 liter Wide Mouth Aluminum Water Bottle bunkerbuster Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 06-01-2015 02:46 AM
Great disaster item often overlooked - Aluminum foil willthrill81 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 11-10-2014 12:07 AM
Aluminum foil reflector oven? Eagle Scout Dan Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 03-22-2013 09:15 AM
Stainless Steel or Aluminum water bottle? Will Kirk Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 01-15-2012 11:33 AM
Aluminum Foil as a prep goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 11-25-2011 12:24 PM
Mylar vs Aluminum Foil for insulative properties tankman1989 General Discussion 4 06-03-2011 06:54 PM
Who else has an Aluminum Foil hat & suit kimosaubi General Discussion 16 01-22-2011 03:52 PM
Aluminum foil raglan Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 09-17-2009 08:25 PM
Aluminum foil for survival stilllearning Reviews and questions 16 02-14-2009 01:34 PM
Aluminum Foil sullysixx Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-03-2007 01:12 PM

Old 07-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Save a life; carry a gun.

Thanked 1,000 Times in 384 Posts
Default Aluminum foil no longer holds water.

Advertise Here

It seems that aluminum foil has problems. The information is from a man who knows what he's talking about, John D. McCann.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Don't...num%20Foil.htm

McCann's book on survival kits is outstanding. When he wrote it, however, he was still recommending aluminum foil to make vessels to boil water.

Amazon.com: Build the Perfect Survival Kit... cover
Amazon.com: Build the Perfect Survival Kit...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Horn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Hiker

Good info to know! Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,730 Times in 7,372 Posts

Well now that sucks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,077 Posts

Oh, what our children have to look forward to..Nothing but crap everywhere.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,782 Times in 44,510 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I haven't tried making a cup from it in a while, but I still cook often in aluminum foil "boats" and I haven't had it drip. I guess a little experimenting is called for. This is disconcerting.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,215 Posts

I guess that rules out using it for my hat.
The Following User Says Thank You to hedley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,384 Posts

Huh... that would explain a LOT about why hobo dinners and banana boats used to taste so much better when I was a kid and now they seem to get dried out and yucky so fast that they don't even get cooked correctly. Wonder what the solution to this could possibly be...

Restaurants that cook their own baked potatoes still use foil to cook them in the oven. I wonder if any of them have noticed the potatoes drying out faster or having a poorer quality to them?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Tough Chick

I am running an aluminum foil cup experiment as we speak. Will post results.

Method: I am using regular store brand foil. Took a piece about 12" square, folded in quarters, pushed into a small pudding cup size plastic container to make cup shape. Filled with small amount of water. So far no leaking. There are 4 layers so I will check every 10 minutes to see if leaking occurs.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Tough Chick

First 10 minutes and my little aluminum cup is showing no signs of leaking. I'll post an update in another half hour.

Forty minutes into experiment, still no leaking that I can see. Inside of plastic cup appears dry. Outside of aluminum cup is dry. Will post again in another half hour.

One hour and 10 minutes. No leaking.

Will continue experiment.

Two hours no leaking. Bear in mind that my experiment "cup" is using 4 layers of foil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,730 Times in 7,372 Posts

it still has it's uses
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 07-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,417 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Horn View Post
It seems that aluminum foil has problems. The information is from a man who knows what he's talking about, John D. McCann.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Don't...num%20Foil.htm

McCann's book on survival kits is outstanding. When he wrote it, however, he was still recommending aluminum foil to make vessels to boil water.

Amazon.com: Build the Perfect Survival Kit (0046081009679): John…
In my opinion that aluminum foil "bowl" used in that site is a bad design. inherently it will leak water through the folds. I just made one out of regular ply foil and no drips whatsoever. I made a rough "spoon" from some branches and placed the aluminium into that. Works just fine.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,417 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
First 10 minutes and my little aluminum cup is showing no signs of leaking. I'll post an update in another half hour.

Forty minutes into experiment, still no leaking that I can see. Inside of plastic cup appears dry. Outside of aluminum cup is dry. Will post again in another half hour.

One hour and 10 minutes. No leaking.

Will continue experiment.
My cup just yielded the same results. I think the leaks noted in the site above was because if design error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Hiker

I also just tested this. I made a cup out of regular aluminum foil, 2 layers thick. It did not leak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Packitup For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Tough Chick

Yeah, I am 2 1/2 hours into this experiment and not a single drop has "leaked" out of my experimental cup design. I think these "survival resource" people may be lacking in a little common sense? If you look at the design of the bowl in the picture on their site, you can see that the way they made it was to have a seam right on the bottom of the bowl. At least that's what I think I'm seeing. I hate to call BS on something when someone seems so sincere, but my results and the test results of others here are not holding up to this person's claim that aluminum will leak.

I'm going to try to boil water on the stove now and see if it leaks that way.

Got water hot. I quit the experiment because it was cooking the teflon off of the skillet I put the cup into. No leaking, however. Hmmm... how to further test this.... on the grill would be a good test but today is not such a good day as it is raining and too wet outside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Hiker

Great tests!!!! Explains alot!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,782 Times in 44,510 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

This is why it's always good to verify, rather than just accept something.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Tough Chick

BTW... still no leaking. Almost eight hours later. I think we can safely debunk this one, people.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oktx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Free Born

Thanked 4,443 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Huh... that would explain a LOT about why hobo dinners and banana boats used to taste so much better when I was a kid and now they seem to get dried out and yucky so fast that they don't even get cooked correctly. Wonder what the solution to this could possibly be...

Restaurants that cook their own baked potatoes still use foil to cook them in the oven. I wonder if any of them have noticed the potatoes drying out faster or having a poorer quality to them?
When I do hobo dinners for camping I use three layers of foil, no leaks yet! Are hobo dinners not one of the best ways to have tasty food? I can’t wait to go camping this weekend and have a few made up in advance.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:

They use a quilted foil, much more flexible than normal foil.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 13,112 Times in 5,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosofcreation View Post
When I do hobo dinners for camping I use three layers of foil, no leaks yet! Are hobo dinners not one of the best ways to have tasty food? I can’t wait to go camping this weekend and have a few made up in advance.
Many years ago, Reynolds had a cookbook of foil dinners. There was a way to use the engine of your car to cook them while you drove. My dad had a wire rack that fit over the exhaust manifold that would hold the dinner. He would wrap it about four times, alternating the seals 90 degrees each time.
I remember driving to Indiana from Cleveland. At lunch time he pulled into a rest stop and brought out a full Pot Roast dinner with all the vegetables. The other folks parked there looked at us like we were cannibals or something. BTW, if you can smell the food cooking, you didn't wrap it correctly.
When he opened the package the smell was wonderful. It was roasted to perfection. I wish I could find a copy of that old cookbook.
BTW, the car was a Ford Falcon, if anyone remembers those cars, there was enough room under that hood to cook a capon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post: