Lets talk about personal hygiene - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.40 S&W Lets talk about it. Ranger375 Firearms General Discussion 67 10-27-2015 08:18 AM
Personal Hygiene and food safety after shtf kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 02-07-2015 09:34 PM
Soap and personal hygiene fretful_edge Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 01-05-2014 01:36 PM
"best" Molle Pouch for Personal Hygiene+Accessories Disturbed0Ne Reviews and questions 7 10-08-2013 04:07 PM
Lets talk about the Bug Out Box kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 04-09-2013 12:23 PM
Lets talk EDC joelchrisman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 03-14-2013 09:55 PM
Personal Hygiene when SHTF Themaxman727 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 48 05-16-2010 09:30 AM
Personal hygiene on a camping trip kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 49 12-14-2009 11:04 PM
Personal Hygiene BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 20 12-05-2009 09:45 AM
personal hygiene soldier506 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 03-25-2008 07:32 PM

Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,134 Times in 7,814 Posts
Default Lets talk about personal hygiene

Advertise Here

Personal hygiene is one of the topics that I take into consideration everyday. I wear contacts - everytime I put my contacts in, I think about if my hands are clean or not. My daily routine is - get up, shower, put contacts in - that way my hands are clean from the shower.

My personal hygiene kit is kept behind the sink and contains:

personal size shampoo
personal sized soap
contact case
spare contact case
contact cleaning and wetting solation
comb
tooth brush
tooth paste
zip lock plastic bag - this is to hold the liquid soap and shampoo. That way if the bottles leak, the fluid does not get into the kit, and is contained within the plastic bag.

Video about my PHK.

When my wife and I go to hotels, we stock up on the personal sized soap, shampoo, and sometimes tooth brushes and tooth paste. When we have people stay with us, we will give them some of of the personal sized shampoo or other items.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388 (Large).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	33216
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 12:59 PM
28 Days Later

Thanked 1,141 Times in 594 Posts

you can also get the small personalized stuff at stores like CVS, various pharmacies and walmart, the personalized stuff is great for BOB.

one thing you can do though is find the all body wash soaps that also act as shampoo, will cut down on the things you have to store.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Question For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Afraid for my country

This is an important part of my preps. As an RN, I see what lack of basic hygiene can do to a person. Plenty of shampoo, soaps, anti-bacterial hand wash, toothpaste, mouthwash, peroxide, you name it. Also have some no water needed shampoo and body wash. Works great and really can be used without water to wash your hair. If my hair is greasy, I feel nasty LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to motorcycledog For This Useful Post:

Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycledog View Post
This is an important part of my preps. As an RN, I see what lack of basic hygiene can do to a person. Plenty of shampoo, soaps, anti-bacterial hand wash, toothpaste, mouthwash, peroxide, you name it. Also have some no water needed shampoo and body wash. Works great and really can be used without water to wash your hair. If my hair is greasy, I feel nasty LOL.
I'm sure as a nurse you see a lot of what can happen when skin folds + poor hygiene leads too. Reminds me of my days, ugh. Step one, don't get obese, and if you do, don't get to the point where you can't clean yourself.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:52 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 6,763 Times in 1,966 Posts

Seems like an awful lot of stuff to have to maintain. I make my own soap, from cooking grease I collect in a large jar on my stove. When I collect enough I make a big batch. In a SHTF situation I do know how to make lye from wood ashes (although I prefer to use granulated lye as long as I can get my hands on some. I like hard bars rather than the soft goo using wood ash tends to make) I can use this to wash my skin, my hair, and my laundry. Baking soda works fine for toothbrushing. Diluted peroxide is good for a mouthwash. All these things have the advantage of being usable for other things besides personal hygiene. Multi purpose is always good in my book.

I hope you have up to date glasses as a backup for your contacts. I worked for an eye doctor for many years and have seen what improper care and/or overextending the life of contacts can do to your eyes. Even if you wear HGP contacts, what are you going to do when you run out of solution? People used to get really nasty acanthamoeba infections from making their own contact solutions.

Don't count on your hands being acceptable for handling contacts just because you are fresh from the shower. Yes, they might be clean, but what did your shower products leave behind? I've seen more than one CL wearer come in with smeared up contacts who couldn't understand why because "I put them in right after I get out of the shower." OK, and that moisturizing shower gel and hair conditioner are still on your hands, just waiting to leave a big old greasy fingerprint on your contacts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 02:13 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 2,095 Times in 944 Posts

Keep an eye on the end caps at Target. I got 8 pack sized wisp tooth brushes for a buck each.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wombat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
V

Thanked 34,644 Times in 13,900 Posts

I have short hair:

I don't overly worry about a comb, bugging out my hair style is the last thing I'd worry about wet it finger comb backwards.
I can wash my hair effectively using a bar of soap, the same bar of soap I use for everything else.
I can shave using the same bar of soap previously mentioned.

Soap
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Razor
Travel towel
Travel shaving mirror
Small smelly spray

= good to go
The Following User Says Thank You to Smudge For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,627 Times in 891 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Nice video!

I have a couple tips to add:

Bacteria can live between washings on a bar soap. So liquid soap in a pump is more sanitary.

Bar soap does not rinse near as well as transparent liquid soap or shower gel. (The cream moisturizing ones do not have this quality.) I made all the soap for my family for 10. years. Then I read that people were switching to shower gels and liquid soaps because the didn't need all the harsh cleaners to remove soap scum from their showers and tubs. I gave it a try and never went back to regular soap. Now if I go to a hotel, I must take shower gel, because if I use their soap I can tell it does not rinse of my skin. Yuck. It is probably the laurel sul... something in the gel that makes it rise off, and it will probably kill me some day, OH well.

Also, viruses are persistent buggers and can live for weeks on your toothbrush. Always rinse your toothbrush well before and after use. Some doctors recommend you replace your toothbrush after illnesses like strep-throat. After a cold I boil water in my tea kettle and pour it over my toothbrush. (If you soak it the bristles might melt.)

The bathroom is the worse place to hang your toothbrush or leave it laying on the sink top. Remember that when you smell an odor it is actually particles of what you are smelling that have become airborne. EWWWW. Especially ewww if a sick family member uses your bathroom when your toothbrush is out. You should keep your toothbrush tucked away.

When traveling, I keep my toothbrush in a separate fresh baggy in my travel case.

I am a country girl, so I am not a neat or germ freak, but I am funny about my toothbrush and my drinking glass. I guess I just hate to be sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to survivalistmomma For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 PM

i toataly agree w/ higene but studies have shown that kids w/ asthma are usauly first born ,the more germs you are exsposed to as a child , the more colds kids have when there young the helthier they are as adults.my DW and i were the only ones as far as i know to not let are kids get the swineflu vaccinne last year at school,the teacher were fureios over this but we stuck to our guns on it.they told my daughter she had to have it done.i met a women a few years ago that would spray her door knobs several times a day to kill germs.beleive me when i say that our kids have been in the emergancy rooms tons of times in the middel of the night for high temps but i always tell them that they will never have that strain of flu again.i know you may think iam cruel but weather you like it or not your kids and you will be exsposed to germs and in a shtf situation lets see how much health care is available.there are people in 3rd world countrys that can drink water that we cant ,all iam saying is the more germs you are exsposed to as a kid the more you can fight off as a adult
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hideserthunter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,026 Posts

Why am I not seeing antiperspirant, floss & Q-tips?
Must haves IMO.
I like Suave products and the price is right. I've got about 20 bottles of shampoo.
I like Ivory soap too.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Prepared

I've been using unscented dollar store dish washing soap for shampoo, body wash and dish washing for many years with no problems. I also use dish soap when my hands are greasy. Normally I buy homemade goat milk soap for hand washing. lots of commercial hand soap have moisturizer in them and if I can't snap my fingers after I wash them, thats a problem.

Andrew
Old 07-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Shuriken snowflake

Thanked 18,673 Times in 7,840 Posts

Hygiene is one thing, being germ phobic just makes you sick. Watch the Mythbusters episode on where it's best to keep your toothbrush, quite surprising.
The Following User Says Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Sorry About Your Feelings

Thanked 29,763 Times in 12,207 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Don't forget a couple of razors... In a survival situation, shaving with a Ka-Bar does not sound fun.

Also, a small travel mirror wouldn't hurt, however you could always use the old signaling mirror in a pinch.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 2,123 Times in 910 Posts

Don't forget to stock up on baby wipes, they will come in handy when water is scarce. Dozens of uses. Sadly, I don't need a comb anymore!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,805 Times in 7,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrdave View Post
Don't forget to stock up on baby wipes, they will come in handy when water is scarce. Dozens of uses. Sadly, I don't need a comb anymore!
Also Nab the wet naps at KFC. Didnt you watch " the Book of Eli"
Old 07-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Gatherer

For almost a year now, I've been visiting mysavings.com - to sign up for samples. I have a basket full of sample sized personal hygiene items (from toothpaste to sunscreen).

IMHO - you can't beat free.
The Following User Says Thank You to themaskedbandita For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaS View Post
Don't forget a couple of razors... In a survival situation, shaving with a Ka-Bar does not sound fun.

Also, a small travel mirror wouldn't hurt, however you could always use the old signaling mirror in a pinch.
This is why I shave (my legs) with a old-fashioned DE safety razor. Plain old razor blades are cheaper, and travel better than more expensive throw-aways.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 PM
born to be riled

I have been using Dr Bronner's Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap for 30+ years.
It's made with organic oils.
It can be used for shampoo,brushing teeth,shaving,washing clothes plus it's just plain good ole soap.
I keep my hair short and don't wear deodorants or any kind of after shave or smelly stuff.
Dr. Bronner's is all I need and I have a bit of it stashed away

In Winter I usually use the Eucalyptus flavored one. Clears the sinuses right up.
Good stuff
Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 PM
High-Strung

I have so many of those little bar soaps from all the vacations we took. I don't know why I keep grabbing them because I don't think I have used any of them. LOL>
Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,878 Times in 858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgun View Post
I have been using Dr Bronner's Peppermint Pure-Castile Soap for 30+ years.
It's made with organic oils.
It can be used for shampoo,brushing teeth,shaving,washing clothes plus it's just plain good ole soap.
I keep my hair short and don't wear deodorants or any kind of after shave or smelly stuff.
Dr. Bronner's is all I need and I have a bit of it stashed away

In Winter I usually use the Eucalyptus flavored one. Clears the sinuses right up.
Good stuff

Where do you get this at?