Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any good tent reviews? Thejeepster Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 12-24-2014 12:06 AM
Looking for a good bug out bag tent VictorB Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 10-04-2014 06:54 AM
Is this a good survival tent? Dougzilla Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 02-01-2014 01:49 PM
What's a good tent Arsenul Reviews and questions 7 03-30-2013 02:37 PM
Good but not expensive tent jonshrack Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 36 02-26-2013 04:21 PM
I need a good one man tent that isn't too costly Dodge631 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 04-20-2012 12:32 AM
Good 2 person tent R3dbull Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 14 04-01-2012 06:25 PM
Good camo tent bulldog Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 06-21-2010 02:33 PM
Please recommend a good tent DownInABunker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 06-01-2010 10:40 AM
Looking for a good 2 man tent Methu969 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 07-20-2009 01:34 AM

Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Good one-man tent for BOB

Advertise Here

I'd like to have a tent for my BOB. I was looking at the Coleman Dakota-1, largely because it packs very, very small. Does anyone have any suggestions for any other small tents that could easily fit in a pack?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,603 Times in 995 Posts

Here is the tent I always suggest when someone asks for a starter one man tent for their BOB. It is fairly roomy, only weighs 3 lbs, and is pretty cheap at $80. It is not free standing if that is important to you, but I never have a problem tieing tents down.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...d=31003&brand=

I do not own this tent, but this is what I would buy if I were just starting out and needed an entry level tent for my BOB.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Hiker

I have been using a Wenzel Lone Tree this year. It is listed as a 2 man tent with a 5 X 7 ft. footprint but the 5 ft. width is at the middle and it tapers towards both ends and is 38" high at center. It would be crowded with 2 people but there is plenty of room for my pack, my dog and me inside. I have camped 3 times so far this year when it rained. One night was in a thunderstorm where it rained 2 inches during the night. The tent did not leak. I have been out with it several more times when it didn't rain and it is easy to set up and pack back into your pack.

It weighs about 4 pounds so it is not super light but I camp a lot from an ATV and don't usually walk all that far anyway so it is not a problem.

You can read several reviews on it on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Wenzel Lone Tree Hiker Tent: Sports... cover
Amazon.com: Wenzel Lone Tree Hiker Tent: Sports...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Packitup For This Useful Post:

Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,603 Times in 995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packitup View Post
I have been using a Wenzel Lone Tree this year. It is listed as a 2 man tent with a 5 X 7 ft. footprint but the 5 ft. width is at the middle and it tapers towards both ends and is 38" high at center. It would be crowded with 2 people but there is plenty of room for my pack, my dog and me inside. I have camped 3 times so far this year when it rained. One night was in a thunderstorm where it rained 2 inches during the night. The tent did not leak. I have been out with it several more times when it didn't rain and it is easy to set up and pack back into your pack.

It weighs about 4 pounds so it is not super light but I camp a lot from an ATV and don't usually walk all that far anyway so it is not a problem.

You can read several reviews on it on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Wenzel Lone Tree Hiker Tent: Sports & Outdoors
That is a spiffy little tent there. Free standing and cheap. Might make me change the tent I recommend to new folks.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Researchologist

How about the Eureka Solitaire? No personal experience with this tent but Eureka is a good company. Kev, the owner of these boards did a review over it.

Here is the tent for $69.99 at Dlcks Sporting goods.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,706 Posts

I'm a dealer for Sierra Designs and I like their Clip Flashlight 2 for this purpose. They have nice 1 man tents but for only 8 ounces more you get a 2 man, which gives you enough room to spread out all your gear on the inside next to you and still have room left over. 1 man tents can't do that, they're usually really cramped.

Plus the Sierra Designs have a nice earth tone color combination that is very close to the green in grass and leaves, and the gray on tree bark and caves. If you really want it for a bug out tent... about the last thing you want is bright colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tent.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	32098  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corndogggy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
I'm a dealer for Sierra Designs and I like their Clip Flashlight 2 for this purpose. They have nice 1 man tents but for only 8 ounces more you get a 2 man, which gives you enough room to spread out all your gear on the inside next to you and still have room left over. 1 man tents can't do that, they're usually really cramped.

Plus the Sierra Designs have a nice earth tone color combination that is very close to the green in grass and leaves, and the gray on tree bark and caves. If you really want it for a bug out tent... about the last thing you want is bright colors.
This is good advice. The floor space of a 1 man tent really isn't worth the weight. You might as well go with a simple bivvy bag if you want a one person shelter with no storage space.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Default msr tent

i have used a msr zoid 1 for about 2 years, loved it so much i put a extra one away just in case. it comes in at 3lbs 6oz fully packed and 2lbs 16oz with just the rainfly and poles. its not a freestanding tent but i prefer it that way it is supposed to be a one man tent but on a camping trip last fall my buddys tent ripped right down the middle, we were able to both fit in the zoid comfortabaly. (long as both partys dont mind close quartes) here the link: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Zoid-Solo-Fast-Light/dp/... cover
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Zoid-Solo-Fast-Light/dp/...
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,645 Times in 2,189 Posts

Didn't Kev just do a "bivy or tent" thread??

Where's the "tags"??
Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,645 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
Plus the Sierra Designs have a nice earth tone color combination that is very close to the green in grass and leaves,
I'm a little color blind and my monitor is messed up, but that pic doesn't look green???
Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,216 Times in 612 Posts

Hmmm I have a kelty 2 man tent.It weighs 4 pounds, tho It doesnt feel like it.I like it, it has enough room for me and my gear.Trying to fit 2 people in it would be fun tho.

Amazon.com: Kelty Grand Mesa 2-Person Tent... cover
Amazon.com: Kelty Grand Mesa 2-Person Tent...
Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSOnline View Post
How about the Eureka Solitaire? No personal experience with this tent but Eureka is a good company. Kev, the owner of these boards did a review over it.

Solitaire Review

Here is the tent for $69.99 at Dlcks Sporting goods.
Good call on this one. I've used it a couple times so far without any issues. I don't know that I'd use it if I was exceptionally worried about condensation or extremely low temps (fiberglass poles + cold temps can sometimes = snapped poles.) Under any other circumstance, I can't finda nything against it. It's EXTREMELY roomy for its size, very light, packs easily, and is super cheap. What more could ya want? =)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Prepared

Okay... here one. Its cheap and it even comes in the right colors.
Sportsmans Guide Bivy Tent.
I just got one. It'll do.
http://shopsportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=614096
The website also has a video you can watch. Worth its weight in gold because the instructions are pathetic.
Best wishes!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Prepared

Groan.
Link doesn't work.
Just go to www.sportmansguide.com and type the name of the tent.
Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 PM

If you have some sewing capabilities, then a good light, fairly cheap option is a homemade Kifaru Supertarp type tent. It can be used as a backpacking tent or emergency shelter. It will be less than 1 1/2 to 2 lbs not including trekking poles and will include plenty of gear room. I bought my light silicone impregnated material and mosquito netting from www.owfinc.com and they were great. You use trekking poles for the tent poles or I suppose could fashion sticks found at the camp sight into tent poles easily enough. It is small enough to roll up for attachment at the bottom of my hunting day pack. Get a dark color to avoid attracting bugs (navy blue, brown, black). The great thing is that it can be set up in a couple of different ways with enough light guy-line length available to allow more or less ventillation or more or less room depending upon the wind...and you can have a small fire/camp stove at the front end while staying in the tent.

Inside the tent, an ultralight emergency sleeping option is a large less than 2ounce lawn bag opened up to use for a ground pad or bring a couple of bags and leave them intact so they can also double as a poncho or rain cover for your pack. If I know that I will likely have to stay out overnight though, I'm packing the extra weight of a bivvy sack and sleeping bag of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Montan16 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Genesis 1:29

I'm in the process of receiving one of these in Camo.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/adventur.../stealth-bivy/

Fabric: Polyester Ripstop PU 3000mm, vinyl
Capacity: sleeps 1
Colours: Dark Olive or Camo
Weight: 1.1 kg
Size: 205 x 96 x 50 cm
Seams: Heat taped
Floor: Polyester PU 5000mm
Poles: (3) 8.5mm premium T6 alloy
Function: 3 season, below the snowline
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucMedic View Post
Okay... here one. Its cheap and it even comes in the right colors.
Sportsmans Guide Bivy Tent.
I just got one. It'll do.
http://shopsportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=614096
The website also has a video you can watch. Worth its weight in gold because the instructions are pathetic.
Best wishes!
The price is hard to beat, but YIKES, 6lbs!! Also, the screen mesh and solid walls all seem to make direct contact (normal single wall design,) not so good for condensation at night.

Pretty damn cool that it has that awning area though. I'd bet that if one hikes with trekking poles you could leave those posts behind and use the poles to support the awning to save a little weight.

Edit: working link - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=614096
Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
I'm a little color blind and my monitor is messed up, but that pic doesn't look green???
The fly is mostly gray, the tent fabric for the bathtub floor and the fly's door is green.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Survivus most anythingus

Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,013 Posts

I thought someone posted a link to single person military shelters in the past couple weeks. They were about 90.00 as I recall and looked great.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,047 Posts

if its for a BOB why even bother with a 1 man tent? just use a tarp and save some $$$
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post: