Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a backpacking tent for two. Suggestions? MiamiC70 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 49 04-21-2018 10:30 PM
Tent suggestions campergirl1985 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 26 10-05-2014 03:33 PM
First Post - Tent Suggestions? OlympicMaple Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 04-24-2013 01:24 AM
Looking for suggestions on backpackable tent Albus Tigris Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 32 12-26-2012 11:18 AM
Suggestions for 2 person BOB tent BugOutSurvivor Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 03-01-2011 10:06 AM
Suggestions for a small tent? RustyDaleShackleford Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 36 09-10-2010 05:39 PM
Need tent suggestions: $100-$150, 1 man, 3 season northwoodsdude Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 08-30-2010 09:38 PM
Suggestions on a tent... Duster Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 07-09-2010 03:52 PM
Tent Suggestions? Dias Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 11 02-12-2010 08:42 PM
Looking for new bivy tent? Suggestions? Backwoods Bum Reviews and questions 9 12-22-2008 07:25 PM

Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Chains keep us together.

Thanked 49,560 Times in 16,329 Posts
Default suggestions on a tent

Advertise Here

I'm looking for a tent, needs to be light (5-8 lbs.) and at least 2+ or 3 person. I was thinking about a MSR mutha hubba or a Mountain hardware trango or taurine. any thoughts or experiences or other suggestions welcome.It needs to be waterproof and survive wind.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 PM

The Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 is one of the toughest tents money can buy...but thats a HEAVY 4-season tent and not really good for warm weather camping. What type of environment do you plan on camping in? Are you going to be using it for car camping or strictly backpacking?
The Following User Says Thank You to die_trying45 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Chains keep us together.

Thanked 49,560 Times in 16,329 Posts

well a all season tent is important but light weight is more important. mostly short distance camping but be able to live out of it if need be. Weather is mostly cool, sometimes rainy or snowing. but I want to be able to use it in summer too. I have 3 eureka timberlines, i think there one of the toughest tents ever made but there +10 lbs for a 4 person outfitter. would like to go lighter, would like to get down to 30 lbs in the pack total.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Prepared

I've spent plenty of time in a MH Trango 4 in all kinds of conditions and it holds up very well, though it can be a bit heavy. For the use you're describing you'll probably be fine with a sturdy 3 season tent and a good sleeping bag.

Marmot also makes some excellent tents that hold up under alpine conditions. You might like this one. If you're willing to shell out the big bucks Integral Designs has some fantastic 4 season tents that are very light, but built for hard use. This is their 3 person tent, and this is their ultralight version.
The Following User Says Thank You to ski.ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Survivus most anythingus

Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,013 Posts

I have one of these tents, they are awesome.

http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents/combat.html
The Following User Says Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
I'm looking for a tent, needs to be light (5-8 lbs.) and at least 2+ or 3 person.
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-136-zeta-3.aspx

I have one of those and a footprint ready to ship out, I can hook you up. PM me if interested.

I'm about to order some more of the ultralights if any of those catch your attention.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/c-22-ultralight.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corndogggy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Check out tarptent http://www.tarptent.com/index.html. Great tents and great customer service.
Their biggest tent the Hogback sleeps 4 and weighs 4 pounds.

Another great manufacturer is Hilleberg http://www.hilleberg.com/Home.htm, check out the Nallo line.

Both are pricey, but bomb proof.
The Following User Says Thank You to cgd160 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Resident Ninja

Thanked 1,825 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-136-zeta-3.aspx

I have one of those and a footprint ready to ship out, I can hook you up. PM me if interested.

I'm about to order some more of the ultralights if any of those catch your attention.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/c-22-ultralight.aspx
Thanks for posting this... I was about to post up a question regarding 2-man tents. Sounds like the Sierra Designs fit the bill perfectly... not outrageously expensive.

At the sametime, how do they hold up to thunderstorms, high winds, etc, etc?

Sorry in advance if I'm thread jacking!
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYS For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
Thanks for posting this... I was about to post up a question regarding 2-man tents. Sounds like the Sierra Designs fit the bill perfectly... not outrageously expensive.

At the sametime, how do they hold up to thunderstorms, high winds, etc, etc?

Sorry in advance if I'm thread jacking!

I personally haven't had one in a storm, but the Clip Flashlight has been made for like 25 years (although updated a couple years ago) and still upholds a great reputation so I imagine it would be great. Plus it's a low profile, so it doesn't catch wind. The material sheds water like it's off a duck's back and the bathtub floor is plenty high.

One of the big sales reps for Sierra Designs will actually be hanging out at my place tomorrow, I could get the scoop on extreme weather or most anything else then.

I've got these Clip Flashlights, the Vapor Light 2, Vapor Light XL, and the Zeta 3, all with matching footprints, all in stock so PM me if you're interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to corndogggy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 AM

This is a little more expensive than the Sierra, but in my opinion is amazing.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

Never met someone who used one and had problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tessien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
I personally haven't had one in a storm, but the Clip Flashlight has been made for like 25 years (although updated a couple years ago) and still upholds a great reputation so I imagine it would be great. Plus it's a low profile, so it doesn't catch wind. The material sheds water like it's off a duck's back and the bathtub floor is plenty high.

One of the big sales reps for Sierra Designs will actually be hanging out at my place tomorrow, I could get the scoop on extreme weather or most anything else then.

I've got these Clip Flashlights, the Vapor Light 2, Vapor Light XL, and the Zeta 3, all with matching footprints, all in stock so PM me if you're interested.
I have a Clip Flashlight 3 it's a great tent, and a little extra room for 2 people
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5mas For This Useful Post: