Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight gain and medications. pineygal Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 06-15-2014 03:34 PM
to gain or not to gain, that is the question... fullofit Communications 10 02-01-2013 05:16 PM
Hard gainers & weight gain. BeardedAvenger Health, Fitness and First Aid 22 05-26-2012 05:14 PM
Weight Gain Powder Horned One Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 03-03-2012 10:57 PM
And Can It Be That I Should Gain? temu Religious Discussion 11 03-27-2011 05:14 PM
BOB Weight Issues Purdy Bear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 08-02-2010 12:27 PM
What Did They Have To Gain? ActionJackson Religious Discussion 42 10-08-2009 05:56 PM
So, I found out that I cant gain weight...now Semper Paratus Health, Fitness and First Aid 24 11-18-2008 09:21 PM
How to Gain weight frontlinedude Health, Fitness and First Aid 31 06-14-2008 04:45 AM

Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,192 Times in 7,830 Posts
Default My weight gain issues

Advertise Here

A little bit about myself:

42 years old - when this was posted
Little over 5 years with my current job
Sit at a desk and work on computers all day
I'am about 25 - 30 pounds overweight

From when I graduated high school in 1986, up until I got this current job, I have always had a job that involved a lot of physical activity. Whether it was working in a welding shop - swinging a hammer, moving pieces of steel, walking from one end of the shop to the other,,, or running cable TV cable,,, I was always moving in some form or another.

I never quit realized how important that was back then. All I knew was that I was tired of sweating so bad in July and August, I was tired of the hard physical labor, I was tired of the welding burning my arms,,,,. But in away, that hard work was keeping me young.

Now that I sit at a desk all day, I feel that I'am wasting away. Its impossible to get the same level of physical activity today working in this office that I did working in the welding shop.

So what are my choices?

I could spend more time on the threadmill, but that is a focused exercise that only works your legs.
Maybe do some wii for a full body workout?
Ride a bike - yea, I like bike riding. Back when I was working in the welding shops for 8 - 10 hours a day, I would go home, eat and then get on my bike for a 6 - 9 mile ride. There is just something about being on the rode with the wind in your face.

Maybe I could watch what I ate a little better? Maybe so, but its too easy to get a cheese burger and a 32 ounce soft drink.

I think my biggest issue is from my sugar intake and my lack of exercise. If I could get on the threadmill for an hour a day, I think things would be a lot better - and then switch the threadmill out with the bike or the wii.

One of the things that stops me from getting on the threadmill is when the grandkids come over. They want to get on there with me, or they want to put a toy car or truck on the threadmill,,,,. So its better that I not even get on there when the little grand kids are over.

I have to do "something" to get into shape. Summer vacation is almost here, and I want to take my kids on hiking/camping trips. Its going to be really difficult to hump a pack 10 miles when your out of shape. Several years ago my oldest son and I made went on a 6 - 8 mile hike / camping trip when I was bad out of shape - I do not want to do that again. By the time I got home I could barely carry my pack and my feet had blisters on them - lets not even talk about how sore my legs were.

This year I want to go on a 12 - 14 mile wilderness hike with my son and nephew. But to do that, I HAVE to get in shape. Its been a full week since I have been on the threadmill, so I'am just going to have to set some time aside and get some exercise.

If I ever lose this job, the first place I'am going is back into the welding field. At least there I was able to maintain a good healthy weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,471 Posts

in my situation, the food has more bearing than exercise. i used to run 5 to 10 miles a day, but i would eat fast food everyday, and it negates everything.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Kev, at 42 , I was out of shape, I joined a cardio kickboxing class at my local YMCA.......got into the best shape of my life.........you can do the class and then swim indoors....it's great........but you have to look at your calorie intake,too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,788 Times in 3,502 Posts

Your weight gain isn't just your computer job. You are getting older. Your body is getting slower and is less able to draw upon fat reserves. Muscle mass is dropping, collagen is deteriorating, veins and arteries getting narrower. Everything is working less efficiently.

The older you get the more difficult dieting becomes. When you are young and you diet, your metabolism stays high, you stay active and you lose weight. When you are old and you diet, you just get tired as you body immediately switches into starvation mode.

Resign yourself to your fate and adjust. Entropy always wins.
The Following User Says Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 AM
Prepared

Kev, You are way to young to be out of shape.
I'm now almost 50 and here are a few youtube clips of what I do for healthy living conditions among other daily mental, physical and spiritual training.

I get in two maybe three walks a week with a back pack on top of my other training so I can walk with my gear if need be. This walk is 2 to 3 miles every time which is not that long but the pack is 40 lbs.

I was 330 lbs just three years ago.. now I am 275-280 lbs and I own that to not wanting to fight anymore, power lift and changing my eating habits.

I hope maybe something in these clips will spark your interest and you get up and move..... a body in motion stays in motion.

Ralph
Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 AM
Prepared

oooooh sorry I didn't know it would post all this clips like that.
Ralph
Old 05-19-2010, 03:38 AM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,391 Posts

Know what ya mean kev. same age, graduated same year. When I took my latest desk job I was a comfortable 224. I gained a bit too and it's tough to get it off anymore. It was easy at 22, 23 to do. I did the nutrisystem then and dropped 30# in 8 weeks.

I've dropped 20 the last 4 weeks by going all water and losing the 6-10 sodas a day and 4-6 cups of coffee.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 AM
Prepared

Me? I have had rotator cuff repaired, two bad knees and I was FAT! I got one of these and lost 25 pounds, on my way to losing 15 more! Amazon.com: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing... cover
Amazon.com: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing... Rowing works back, chest, arms and both large leg muscles (quads and hammies) and the grand kids will not want to ride it with you!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 AM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Publius View Post
Me? I have had rotator cuff repaired, two bad knees and I was FAT! I got one of these and lost 25 pounds, on my way to losing 15 more! Amazon.com: Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine: Sports &Ö Rowing works back, chest, arms and both large leg muscles (quads and hammies) and the grand kids will not want to ride it with you!
OK...when you're done, send it south...NINE HUNDRED BUCKS....LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,428 Times in 3,474 Posts

Kev:

You really hitting the treadmill every day b/c its hard to gain weight at 2 miles per day. i'm a bit older than you and feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. 6'1", 210 lbs. Could be 10 pounds lighter, but that would be skinny in me.

Try this for breakfast like every day: oatmeal and a piece of fruit or glass of oj. Eat a regular sandwich or salad or soup for lunch. Then dinner just watch it. I'm 47 and far more fit now than in my 20's when I was working my butt off. Playing basketball and coaching keep me young looking, bruised and angry.Maybe softball for you in your area?

As I post I'm getting ready to leave for gym, my daily short workout, to be home by 6:45 AM. If you can prep, you can commit to the workout lifestyle.

Regards and don't forget the obvious: snacks. A cold baked potato w/ salt makes a good snack for me. If its in a bag or wrapper I just won't eat it. No soda, no pizza and no McDonalds.
Yes to salty Ramen Pride, tuna can, apple or bread, no to fats.

I'd add if you are in my boat, back pain drives everything. I don't want to go through what I've had in the past so I work the abs like a maniac.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Whippersnapper

Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,262 Posts

Ok, this may not be as useful as I am young and have a stupidly high metabolism...
I was recently really ill for a couple of months, and am trying to get back to how I was before
I go to the gym about two to four times a week and run hard for 20 mins on the treadmill- I should do more- I like to hit about 4km- I am pushing to get to 5km- the go onto the weights. I am building up the amount of time I can keep that pace.
Every morning I roll out of bed and do push ups and abb work, and every night I do the same- to the point of exhaustion- I have slept far better ever since I have been doing this also.
I am getting to be slowly the best shape of my life.

It sounds like you need to find something that you can enjoy doing regularly, if you are not inspired to use the treadmill, then you won't- it seems that simple.
And yes, it does mostly work the legs, but it will burn of calories and get your cardio up, which will help no end to your hiking and expeditions.
Personally, if I had to choose one exercise machine- it would be a treadmill. With the right music playing i sort of go into a trance with it and just go. It feels great.

Honour is indefinable and irreplaceable, it is that by which a man can judge himself!

Last edited by GENT; 05-19-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Non semper erit aestas.

Thanked 5,553 Times in 2,304 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENT View Post
I am young and have a stupidly high metabolism...
Dear Gent,
I hate you.
love,
Rosesandtea

Seriously I'm sorry to hear you were ill.

Kev, can you just do the treadmill very early or very late when the grands are not around, or just get everyone in the family to understand "this is granddad's time to do this and we don't bother him"? I know you want to be jolly and happy with the kids, but your health is important too and ultimately will help you be a better Granddad. A little "me" time on the treadmill is not too much to ask.

Others have more practical suggestions but I just thought I'd throw that in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosesandtea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,371 Times in 3,016 Posts

I did not read through everyone's posts so this might be a rehash. Like you is behind a computer most of the day. What works for me is mixing it up. I hit the weights 2 or 3 times a week and I try to get some cardio in the other days. I am going to jump back on the bicycle because it is easier on my knees than running. If you like to bike there may be a spin class at the gym and there are fun when you want to break it up. Personally when I am paying for a gym I feel guilty if I don’t use it and that is motivation enough.

Hitting the weights will make you feel a lot better. You don't need to be in there for hours. I am in and out in about an hour. I do chest and triceps one day, back and biceps the other. I do some legs and shoulders on the odd day. Also if you pick up the Body for Life book it will get you going. I used his training plan for treadmill workouts because it is only 25 minutes. Sometimes I use his weight routines to change things up but I am pretty happy with my current workouts. I am 43 and benching 315 and getting stronger so I figure it is working. I am happy to share more if you are interested. Hit me with a PM.

Cheers,

Stephan
Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,342 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
A little bit about myself:

42 years old - when this was posted
Little over 5 years with my current job
Sit at a desk and work on computers all day
I'am about 25 - 30 pounds overweight

From when I graduated high school in 1986, up until I got this current job, I have always had a job that involved a lot of physical activity. Whether it was working in a welding shop - swinging a hammer, moving pieces of steel, walking from one end of the shop to the other,,, or running cable TV cable,,, I was always moving in some form or another.

I never quit realized how important that was back then. All I knew was that I was tired of sweating so bad in July and August, I was tired of the hard physical labor, I was tired of the welding burning my arms,,,,. But in away, that hard work was keeping me young.

Now that I sit at a desk all day, I feel that I'am wasting away. Its impossible to get the same level of physical activity today working in this office that I did working in the welding shop.

So what are my choices?

I could spend more time on the threadmill, but that is a focused exercise that only works your legs.
Maybe do some wii for a full body workout?
Ride a bike - yea, I like bike riding. Back when I was working in the welding shops for 8 - 10 hours a day, I would go home, eat and then get on my bike for a 6 - 9 mile ride. There is just something about being on the rode with the wind in your face.

Maybe I could watch what I ate a little better? Maybe so, but its too easy to get a cheese burger and a 32 ounce soft drink.

I think my biggest issue is from my sugar intake and my lack of exercise. If I could get on the threadmill for an hour a day, I think things would be a lot better - and then switch the threadmill out with the bike or the wii.

One of the things that stops me from getting on the threadmill is when the grandkids come over. They want to get on there with me, or they want to put a toy car or truck on the threadmill,,,,. So its better that I not even get on there when the little grand kids are over.

I have to do "something" to get into shape. Summer vacation is almost here, and I want to take my kids on hiking/camping trips. Its going to be really difficult to hump a pack 10 miles when your out of shape. Several years ago my oldest son and I made went on a 6 - 8 mile hike / camping trip when I was bad out of shape - I do not want to do that again. By the time I got home I could barely carry my pack and my feet had blisters on them - lets not even talk about how sore my legs were.

This year I want to go on a 12 - 14 mile wilderness hike with my son and nephew. But to do that, I HAVE to get in shape. Its been a full week since I have been on the threadmill, so I'am just going to have to set some time aside and get some exercise.

If I ever lose this job, the first place I'am going is back into the welding field. At least there I was able to maintain a good healthy weight.
I work out 5 days a week but at the gym then walk now about 5-7 miles a week before i would walk 10-15 miles a week.My weight has been the same since 2002 235 pounds.When i used to work until 2:00 am i would come home mad all the time so i would do pushups then add one a day got up to 200 in a row and my strengh went up with it.
One other thing i did was drinking about 1000 plus calories in soda so i swiched to diet.dropped weight fast.The bottom line is diet exercise are the only two ways.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

The treadmill does not burn enough calories to do any good( 5-700/hr)......you have to burn 3500 calories, past what you take in, to lose 1 lb, so if you take in 2K calories, you need to burn 5500 calories to burn 1 lb.....running up and down hills or stairs, is 10X better......I take it that getting into much better shape is the goal here, as opposed to losing alot of fat.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Prepared

Kev, I feel your pain. I was a plumber for 12 years and got lots of exercise at work. Two years ago I opened a BBQ restaurant and gained 30 pounds in the process. I have recently started the P90X and it has made me realize just how out of shape I am. In the 2 weeks I have done the P90X I have dropped 10 pounds and feel a WHOLE lot better. I of couse had to adjust the diet too. Highly recommend it. It is a rough workout but worth it. I would also recommend staying away from the BBQ pit unless it is chicken or turkey. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmokeyC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Forewarned is Forearmed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 411 Posts

Kev,

Here is my advice. I stay in shape by riding my bicycle 20-30 miles 4 times a week. You said you love to ride,and riding is the best low impact fat burning excerise you can do. I would tell you to go to a competent bike shop in your area and get fit for a new road bike. You might have to spend a few bucks to get a good one. Buy the bike shorts the shoes , and a good helmet, everything. Find a route around your area that has not to much traffic and make a route. Start out with like 5-10 miles or what ever you can do and slowly build from there. Your butt will be sore where your sit bones contact the seat for about two weeks then it will go away. You need to fight through the sore ass, because by the time it goes away you will be golden. Also I would recommend buying a good book that tells you how to ride and train on a bicycle. Next you need a decent heart rate monitor, the bike shop will have them, I also recommend getting one with cadence to monitor your RPM's. Polar makes good cycle specific monitors. Riding will melt the fat away and it is tons of fun,especially when you start to see increasing milage, leg muscles bulging, calves popping and weight going down. Once you get into riding significant milage you will walk around like King Kong, you feel so strong. Next, food is very important I try to eat very little fat during the day and at night I can eat what ever I want. Cut out sugar completely and stay away from white bread, bagles and potatoes. Eat only whole wheat, lean meats, veggies and salads. Skimmed milk is great, tuna without mayo, chicken breast on whole wheat. And after I ride I like to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat with a glass of skimmed milk, hard boiled eggs are great too. Also instead of eating potato chips eat unsalted almonds, they are very good for you. If you start a life style like this the fat will melt away. Next start doing situps and pushups. Each day wake up and do as many as you can, even if its only 5. The key is to keep at it and you will be amazed how you feel. I also recommend that you buy some dumbells, various weights. Then every day spend about 5-10 mins. playing with them, curls, shoulder presses, etc. just moving them around. Keep at it and you will see amazing results. When I want to get in really sick shape I set a goal. Usually it is to train for and ride a century ride 100 miles. Look online for local bike clubs that run century rides. If you start now bye the end of the summer you could be ready to do 100 miles. I will tell you that you will be in the best shape of your life and at least 30-40 pounds lighter with much more lean muscle. If you want any more advice PM me. Remember the hardest mile is the first one. Good luck.............
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM

I am a bit older than you, Kev.
I used to be quite studly and had slipped a good deal.
About two months ago I started CrossFit.

Dude, my life has changed.
I am down four notches on my belt and need to punch a new hole.
My pants are all loose - last weekend I took off a pair of "formerly snug" jeans without unbuttoning them.

I'm not back to where I was (and may never get there - it's been 15+ years and I'm not getting younger) but I am getting strong and fast.

And it takes less than an hour a day.

www.crossfit.com

Don't get intimidated by the studs and studettes - the whole vibe of crossfit is "different". You are competing against yourself WITH others (other than the competitions. They have this concept of "scaling" which I used to call "cheating".

Example:

Today's workout was:

Zercher Squats (google it) 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

then:
21-15-9 reps of
Bent over row 135 # for men/95# for women
Pull ups

I used 95 pounds for the bent over row and did pull ups with a rubber band assist.

And was smoked when I was done.

find a Crossfit gym -most give free lessons for a week.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,333 Posts

Kev, I know this runs contrary to what a lot of people here are saying, but listen to me-the sugar is what's killin' you! Someone on here said to eat ramen, and baked potatoes, that will make you fat, fat, fat! All that sugar and starch is too much for your body to handle, and the only way it can store all that excess energy is in bodyfat. Seriously, give Atkins a good hard look. Give southbeach a good hard look. The low-carb lifestyle WORKS! You won't ever be hungry, and you'll lose weight astonishingly fast. This low-fat sugar/starch saturated way that most people try to lose weight isn't what your body wants, believe me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,428 Times in 3,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Viking View Post
I am a bit older than you, Kev.
I used to be quite studly and had slipped a good deal.
About two months ago I started CrossFit.

Dude, my life has changed.
I am down four notches on my belt and need to punch a new hole.
My pants are all loose - last weekend I took off a pair of "formerly snug" jeans without unbuttoning them.

I'm not back to where I was (and may never get there - it's been 15+ years and I'm not getting younger) but I am getting strong and fast.

And it takes less than an hour a day.

www.crossfit.com

Don't get intimidated by the studs and studettes - the whole vibe of crossfit is "different". You are competing against yourself WITH others (other than the competitions. They have this concept of "scaling" which I used to call "cheating".

Example:

Today's workout was:

Zercher Squats (google it) 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

then:
21-15-9 reps of
Bent over row 135 # for men/95# for women
Pull ups

I used 95 pounds for the bent over row and did pull ups with a rubber band assist.

And was smoked when I was done.

find a Crossfit gym -most give free lessons for a week.

I just read the first Crossfit Step 1 post. Love the details like rolling the foot, etc. Wow. 2 pages on the importance of squats. Man I agree 100% with this as the squat deals with all the problems I've had to deal with, back pain and flexibility. It took me about a year to get back to deadlifts and barbell squats on Smith Machine.

To start, I had to hold onto a bench, did 1/2 squats, then full squats, then dumbells and medicine ball, now I'm on squat rack again like in college. It took about a year to heal. That was like five years ago. I do not want surgery so I work out. It hurts a little every day. So what.

I still avoid bent over rows with the barbell and use the dumbells only in fear of re injury. I learned a lot about my body and my back as a result. I do not fear the mild pain of the workout, but the consequences of not exercising, and the excrutiating pain.

I will look at the other posts. I also find the ergometer after the treadmill or stari climber is a terrific addtion for flexibility as you can attack it so many ways using back, shoulders, arms, etc. Good find.

So squats, benchpress, military press all yes, rows with dumbells yes, dips off bench, medicine ball, cables all yes, bent over rows.......not yet.