Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Bunker or Not to Bunker? DonMegel Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 155 12-26-2018 11:31 PM
Heavy Metal (thread for the fans) mantis tobogen Jokes, Humor & Music 251 02-24-2017 12:42 AM
My scenario, and why my packis so heavy. This is an INCH PACK thread. INCH PACKER Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 286 01-17-2015 08:43 PM
Bunker Hill Solar lighting (Harbor Freight haters, please ignore this thread.) sarge912 DIY - Do It Yourself 6 08-13-2014 04:31 PM
Old bunker in uk LadyGun55 Communications 4 01-10-2014 08:57 AM
Bunker vs house. What does a bunker offer you? BuellerBueller General Discussion 24 10-17-2013 04:20 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 08:03 PM
Driver shot, child abducted Alabama-Standoff in bunker "OFFICIAL THREAD" mitchell3006 General Discussion 98 02-05-2013 12:24 PM
Under home bunker/saferoom build thread. Large budget. Rob Burgundy Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 80 09-23-2012 01:00 PM
Another underground bunker/home thread, Got Wood? Cyric30 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 06-21-2010 10:52 PM

Old 04-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,251 Times in 4,727 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2
Default The Everything about a Bunker thread - Pic heavy

Advertise Here

There are many threads about root cellars, fallout shelters, underground shelters etc. even Bunkers.

This thread can discuss them all if people wish to contribute any of their ideas and links.

A defensible bunker and an NBC shelter are different. A shelter must be a buttoned-up, closed-in place that will protect the inhabitants from a hostile environment.

A bunker is designed primarily to defend strategic locations from hostile intruders. Obviously one cannot defend his bunker if he has his head pulled down so far he doesn't know what is going on outside.

The best shelters can include both which is what I have done and will show later exactly how I built it for about $2,000. People can also use their shelter/bunker as a storage area and root cellar. It would probably be best just to call it a root cellar or storm shelter instead of a bunker for most people.

First I will show some examples of bunkers which as you can see most of these can be used as storage areas unless needed for something more if/when the SHTF.

Here is an underground bunker door and as you can see is made mostly of concrete >

Here is an above ground bunker for those who do not wish to go underground >

Here is one of Admiral Nimitz outside a bunker on Midway during WWII >

The next two pics show some about the bunker that the Ft. Fisher hermit lived in for years >

Inside of an 1800's root cellar >

Outside of a root cellar in a hillside >

The last example shows the inside of an underground bunker, mainly the work room and notice the ventilation >

And now I would like to explain exactly how I built my underground shelter/cabin which can be used as a storage area and even bunker if necessary.

First I bought remote land in southern Wyoming with a good sunny hill - mountain side for $8,000 in 1987.

Then I used the small pole shelter plans from this book: http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm

Digging the hole >

Roof of the bunker showing layers. This roof is made of 3 layers of logs, cardboard on top, layer of sawdust, sheets of plastic, layer of newspapers to protect the plastic then layer of dirt, then heavy tarp, more newspapers, much more dirt and rocks, soil on top and I have 4 kinds of grasses, raspberry bushes etc. growing on top >

Showing finished roof with grass on top with a dead tree also for more camo, stovepipe, plywood covered window etc. >

Close-up of concrete roof and stovepipe >

Back trap door showing 3 foot thick rock and concrete roof. Took 250 eighty pound bags of concrete mix to make the concrete roof. >

Showing the 3 layer log roof >

The ceiling of the main room of the bunker with ladder and bunk bed on the right >

Inside the main room of the bunker showing the bunk bed painted white. Not finished in this pic >

Wall of tools inside the bunker below the 3 layer log roof >

Plywood forms to make the cement wall inside the bunker behind the wood stove >

Finished concrete wall with green backpack on right >

Wall and black 3 inch thick steel door inside bunker in the same room as the woodstove >

Looking down into the bunker in 1997 before the front was completed >

MM Mike standing in the door of the bunker in 1997 >

Any other links, pics etc. are welcome and ANY questions, comments, even criticisms are also welcome.

Many more pics in the following posts If any want to see All of the pics >
Quick reply to this message
The Following 279 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
1dirtyducker, 2DOGS, 2Dogz, 45survive, A J Parmalee, AaronX, Abominable Toaster, ActionJackson, adrenalynn, Akita, Alternativeten, AncientBrit, Andrew Jackson, apso1857, arleigh, Armed in Alpharetta, Ashcons, ATLPilgrim, Aussie1, AZman, azsurvivor, Ballenxj, Bavarian Raven, Bayou Man, bean42082, Beaniemaster2, Bensonrew, Big Horn, billionsmcmillions, bluestar13, bobanderson, BorntoVenture, boulevardtalonman, Bpreped, Brad in Seattle, bradleydriver, BriBri, britzen, bunkerlover, caduckgunner, Caseyboy, Castiel, CCW, chamberlain125, chaosofcreation, ChicagoIL, coltm4sp1, Conchis, controversial, Cplthomaskr, CPL_BS_88, Crutch, csbx7, CSM101, cupid0311, Daganga, danzak44, Darius379, darkskies25, davin, davmatt74, deanathpc, Derv, DigitalDoberman, din_blix, dirtyape, Discordish, dm1911, doczeus, dolmen, DoubleBarrelPatriot, Drat, dwwaldron, EdD270, elkhound, enchant18, endl3ss, errorborne, Ezra, faif2d, FarmerJohn, Fishrarr, forestdavegump, Gallo Pazzesco, Getting Serious, Ghost1986, Glocktastic, Goulash Guru, Groovy Mike, hank2222, harleyrider86, Harmless Drudge, HarvestTime, hawkbern, Hells Toy Master, Hippiechick58, hotncoaledforge, houdekk13, HSPrincipal, I Buried My Guns, IJT, IrishCope, jamonmygeetar, JefeMaestro, jkc, jksw, Joboo, joes, joe_schmoe, John Rambo, jolly_giant, JRD505, JRNC26, jujumyers, juskom95, Just Jeff, kam, KeithR, kemaeli, killbilly85, Killerbeeo5, kjohn1, knifethrower, Kroenen117, lafayettela, landshark68, Laranxo, Lark, letsgetreal, Libellula, lifesux, LindaLou, LOW96HB, Lui, mactep, Marcie, marinemom, Mark Trail, Masterblaster556, MasterLocked, mastersergeant, matt18920, MauryE, Maxed, Maximum Bob, MC608, Meat Guy, Mechman, mefunkymxw, merlinfire, MickeyCJS, mlbricker, MNmatt, Mommabear, mongoose, mortalis09, Mossberg590, Mr Bobo, MrGreenJeans, ms,hillbilly, MSTA57, mtnairkin, mtncharlie, murphbug, n2dablue, NBC_UK_PREPPER, Nefarious1, Nemesis77, Nemesis777, Nomad-max, nostrings6972, Nutjob Transplant, Nvncibl, O:gweh ha'doiwas, OakRidgeStars, Ofurhang, OhioMan, OKGlocker, OneLostCowboy, onemoreday, onlythestrongsurvive, OPSEC, Optimist, optimist45, orbean, outdoorsman21, Partimehero, Pathfinder03, PaulaMM, paynecoir, Pearl, pearlselby, Philusion, POPPALUV, Post18guy, powderandprimers, Prepperoni, Primalpriest, Prime Oddity, psk1, rancher1913, RandiTS, ratsg, raverous, RealCoolDude, RedWoods, Republican Bunny, Rich76, RobinSuburbia, robkenpo, Robot, Rosesandtea, rpp, S610, Sargent, sayter liften, ShiaSurvivor, showpare, Simulacrum, sirtomprice, slickwilly, slingshot, Smudge, snakeriverjake, SnoMan, SoCal, softdown, Srchdawg, SSGNasty, starship, Stayin' Alive, Steve28, Strange Days, strokes762, Sumatra, Tactical Lever, talon, Tango2Echo, TANSTAF1, Tanya, tarasanders311, Tarik, TasKit, tdawg75, tedennis, ThatGermanNameGuy, thefemalesurvivalist, theMISSIONARY, timgago, tired-medic, TMcArthur, tn-dave, tntkln, Tomkat, Trent Rock, ttkciar, Tucapau58, Tucsonlover, TuscolaMatt, twowong4words, TXplowgirl, ugly, UNCRatDog, UrbanWolf, usmc0341, Variable, Victor Grey, WannaLearn, Watch Ryder, WednesdayGirl, WILL, Woody951, wpatter505, wyopride, XS29L, Yorkshire Boy, Young Prepper, zbounce, zula
Old 04-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase
Default Re: The Everything about a Bunker thread - Pic heavy

There was a limit of 25 pics in a thread so here are a few more showing the front door of the bunker >

Outside the door of the bunker, with mtn bike etc. >

Outside the front door of my bunker >

Locked door with logging chains and 2 locks >

Inside showing the metal bar barricading the front door of the bunker >

Large metal pipe about 5 feet long that I can look through and down on the private road 150 feet down hill >

Brown metal covering over the large metal pipe >

The Following 114 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
1dirtyducker, 2DOGS, 45survive, AncientBrit, apso1857, arleigh, Ashcons, AZman, bean42082, Beaniemaster2, Bensonrew, bluestar13, boulevardtalonman, bradleydriver, BriBri, Brimstone, britzen, bunkerlover, Caseyboy, CCW, chamberlain125, coltm4sp1, CSM101, Daganga, danielbaires, Darius379, deanathpc, Derv, dirtyape, dm1911, doczeus, EdD270, elkhound, enchant18, endl3ss, Fishrarr, forestdavegump, foxkitten86, Gallo Pazzesco, grandma, Harmless Drudge, Hawaii Guy, hawkbern, HSPrincipal, I Buried My Guns, Illuminati, IrishCope, jksw, Joboo, joes, joe_schmoe, JohnSmoke, JRD505, jsnm, Just Jeff, KeithR, kjohn1, knifethrower, Kroenen117, Lark, lifesux, Mark Trail, mastersergeant, Meat Guy, MeekMike, merlinfire, MNmatt, MSTA57, mtnairkin, Nefarious1, Nemesis77, Nemesis777, Nomad-max, Nutjob Transplant, OakRidgeStars, OhioMan, OKGlocker, OneLostCowboy, onemoreday, OPSEC, Optimist, pearlselby, Post18guy, powderandprimers, rancher1913, raverous, RealCoolDude, RedWoods, Rosesandtea, rpp, sayter liften, Smudge, sorcerer, SSGNasty, Stayin' Alive, Steve28, Strange Days, talon, Tarik, TasKit, tdawg75, tedennis, thefemalesurvivalist, theMISSIONARY, tired-medic, Tomkat, twowong4words, TXplowgirl, UNCRatDog, Watch Ryder, Wildrose, WILL, XS29L, Yorkshire Boy
Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Happy to be here!

Thanked 14,848 Times in 3,535 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 

That's a nice bunker you have MM. You're one of the few here (that I'm aware of) that have a bug out set up of that caliber. Itís very impressive, and Iím sure youíre proud of your accomplishment. It must have taken a lot of time, effort and dedication to complete, and probably provides peace of mind now that itís done. Iím sure itís located in a beautiful, pristine area, which you are glad to visit even if TS never HTF. I'm glad you're here, and willing to share your knowledge and experience with us. I hope we never need it.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the good words Will.

IF anyone else has a bunker etc. hope they will also post a link to it for I would like this to be an all inclusive bunker - shelter thread. A thread that people can come to and be able to find pics and info about bunkers. Which some can add any links to bunkers that are expensive of which there are many.

I have tried to show that it is possible to build a bunker and even a good retreat without spending a Lot of money. Including the price of the land and sheds I have spent about $14,000 since 1987.

And no one except myself will ever know how awful much time and work it took to build even this "crude" but effective and Strong bunker. I began digging the hole in July 1995, finished digging in August 1996 and even put over 100 log poles with 7 tree trunks in the bunker by Oct. '96. I had to use a power pull - come-a-long to pull the 8 foot long tree trunks up the hillside.

And carry 250 plus eighty pound bags of concrete about 200 feet from my truck across a spring, up the mtn side which is at 9,500 feet in elevation. No way I could get a backhoe up there to do the digging even If I could afford it or even wanted one.

Working off and on from June to Nov. when I am up there all the time since 1999, I have mostly finished the bunker. Although I might add some more concrete, rocks etc. and I would Like to dig at least another 20 feet into the mountain side like a tunnel. But that would take a Lot more work, especially by myself.

In other pic threads and even some on my homepage I show some of the beautiful area my land is located in. And I have said before that even IF the S never Hits the fan, then I have a good retreat to work, play and Live in. And hope to share it with a few others this summer and in coming years.

Here is a good view looking down on my private dirt road which this pic was taken only a few feet above my bunker on the hill side. >

And a nearby fishing lake which helps show some of the beauty in my mountain area >

The Following 93 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
2DOGS, 45survive, AncientBrit, Aussie1, AZman, Beaniemaster2, Bensonrew, Bighead, britzen, bunkerlover, Castiel, chamberlain125, coltm4sp1, CSM101, Daganga, Darius379, deanathpc, Derv, dirtyape, dm1911, doczeus, DollreeMappEsq, EdD270, elkhound, endl3ss, faif2d, Fishrarr, foxkitten86, Gallo Pazzesco, Glocktastic, grandma, Gristle62, Harmless Drudge, hawkbern, Hippiechick58, IrishCope, jksw, joes, JRD505, Kroenen117, Libellula, lifesux, Lui, Marcie, Mark Trail, Maxed, MeekMike, mefunkymxw, merlinfire, MNmatt, MSTA57, n2dablue, Nemesis77, Nemesis777, Nomad-max, Nutjob Transplant, OakRidgeStars, OhioMan, OKGlocker, onemoreday, Optimist, pearlselby, powderandprimers, ratsg, RealCoolDude, RedWoods, Robot, Rosesandtea, Shadowstalker, Smudge, softdown, SSGNasty, Strange Days, Tacanils, talon, Tarik, TasKit, tedennis, temu, thefemalesurvivalist, theMISSIONARY, tntkln, Todesking, Tomkat, Tucsonlover, TXplowgirl, UNCRatDog, Watch Ryder, Wildrose, WILL, wyopride, XS29L, Yorkshire Boy
Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
HANDY MAN

Thanked 1,532 Times in 640 Posts

MMM, did you have any help with those bags of concrete?!! That there would be enough to make most people quit. Never mind the digging and other stuff involved! I would have bought myself a few mule to help with the moving!

Yet again man, you impress. I mean, not quite as impressive as a thread with 3,000 cans of food but pretty impressive

See ya on the other side.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,759 Times in 1,442 Posts

Thanks for sharing, MMM. As usual great pics of a beautifully done resort. Makes me, and I sure many others, jealous.
Good on you.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,495 Times in 2,824 Posts
Thumbs up Re: The Everything about a Bunker thread - Pic heavy

Mountain Man Mike you out did yourself again....Get pics and artical..
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyape View Post
MMM, did you have any help with those bags of concrete?!! That there would be enough to make most people quit. Never mind the digging and other stuff involved! I would have bought myself a few mule to help with the moving!

Yet again man, you impress. I mean, not quite as impressive as a thread with 3,000 cans of food but pretty impressive
I did Not have any help carrying or using those 250 plus eighty pound bags of concrete. I carried one at a time carrying them up hill about 200 feet from my truck and then collapsing when I got to where I needed them. Many of the bags way up the mtn side putting the concrete around the back trap door. I usually rested five or ten minutes after carrying each bag. And quite a bit while sitting still I would see animals such as a bald eagle or hawk over head. And sometimes a marten or pika coming out of rocks... even grouse liked it near my bunker. As well as the porcupine, long and short tailed weasel or ermine and once a wood rat and some others also.

The only help I ever had was when a guy helped me carry the two heavy steel doors up to the bunker, in July 1999. Never have seen him since.

Which if/when anyone else ever comes up to visit or help me, I would not ask them to carry heavy things or do hard work. If they would do the cooking would be helpful, since I dislike cooking and it takes a lot of time up there.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Living YOUR dreams!

Awesome !
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ulf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,306 Times in 551 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

This looks like a perfect sticky thread for people looking to build the ultimate bol. Great picture thread Mike, thanks for sharing your bunker and experience!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to XS29L For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM

I have a friend in Germany who lives on a ex-military base, complete with real bunkers and a watch tower. I could get pics up in a few weeks if you guys were interested?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 88,212 Times in 23,389 Posts

Just beautiful Mike!

That's an amazing accomplishment, you inspire us all!!!

WOW!! Thanks for sharing

OhioMan
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,361 Times in 330 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post

IF anyone else has a bunker etc. hope they will also post a link to it for I would like this to be an all inclusive bunker - shelter thread. A thread that people can come to and be able to find pics and info about bunkers. Which some can add any links to bunkers that are expensive of which there are many.
While not a bunker here's some links to my cellar build.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...sinwind+cellar

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...d/HPIM1130.jpg

The Following 124 Users Say Thank You to arisinwind For This Useful Post:
1dirtyducker, 45survive, aimlow, ak47chase, AncientBrit, AndreasMeyer, apocalypsenow, Aussie1, AZman, azsurvivor, Beaniemaster2, bigbill7, Bluetick Coonhound, Bpreped, bradleydriver, buckhunter, BugOutBicycle, bunkerlover, CCW, Christianman, Conchis, Crutch, CSM101, Daganga, Darius379, deanathpc, dgmj10, doczeus, DollreeMappEsq, dolmen, DvntMstr, dwwaldron, elkhound, enchant18, endl3ss, forestdavegump, Gallo Pazzesco, Glocktastic, Grey Wolf, grizzly_trouble, gurutoo, Harmless Drudge, Hawaii Guy, hawkbern, HeavyHauler, HelloKittyTank, Hippiechick58, HSPrincipal, Idaho, IrishCope, isuzu1992, jamonmygeetar, jeffr, Joboo, Joe2920, joe_schmoe, JohnWStiner, JRD505, KaBar67, Kroenen117, Lark, lifesux, Lui, Marcie, MauryE, Maximum Bob, MeekMike, merlinfire, MickeyCJS, Minute Of Man, mitchellpreps, MNHillsiders, MNmatt, MSTA57, Mtnman Mike, NBC_UK_PREPPER, ndtguy, Nemesis77, Nomad-max, northidahofisher, nostrings6972, Nvncibl, OakRidgeStars, OhioMan, omma, onemoreday, onlythestrongsurvive, Paige, Pathfinder03, paynecoir, Pearl, pearlselby, Prairie Dog, RealCoolDude, RedWoods, Rosesandtea, rpp, Shadowstalker, SpartanKen, SSanf, SSGNasty, Stayin' Alive, stloutdoorsman, survivalhippie, survivalistmomma, Tachmonite, talon, Tarik, tblount, tedennis, thefemalesurvivalist, theMISSIONARY, Todesking, Tomkat, Tugger, Twist, TXplowgirl, UserX, usmc0341, Variable, Watch Ryder, WILL, wyopride, Yorkshire Boy
Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 88,212 Times in 23,389 Posts

[QUOTE=arisinwind;1529352]While not a bunker here's some links to my cellar build.

WOW...that is amazing, love your preps and everything else!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Geezer In Training

Thanked 1,538 Times in 699 Posts

Wow, MMM! Awesome!
That took a LOT of dedication and hard work, not to mention planning for fit and function... Great job!

I agree, this thread should be a sticky for how to build a BOL... Awesome thread!

Karl
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OKGlocker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 PM

this is great im building something simalar right now and this gave me some ideas
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to galactusslave For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 PM

looks a bit ghetto, but still well done.
im planing on building one of my own (if i get my ass in gear)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azer114 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by azer114 View Post
looks a bit ghetto, but still well done.
im planing on building one of my own (if i get my ass in gear)
I guess ghetto means poor, cheap or crude? Never had it called ghetto before just mainly crude or messy.

Which a lot of my mtn retreat is messy since last October the bear came thru and tore up stuff as shown in posts #2 and 4 in this pic thread > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...php?t=84562=#2

And I do try to improve my bunker and retreat as much as I can, although I don't have tooo much money to make it too fancy.

The bunker is very strong though and has withstood more than ten winters of up to 12 foot deep snowpack.

Thanks for saying it is well done and I hope you and many others will also be able to build a bunker or at least have the knowledge to do so if/when it is necessary.

This book and especially this chapter on small pole shelters is a must have for good info to be prepared for anything that might happen. I used these small pole shelter plans http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm to build my bunker although I added some of my own ideas such as 3 layers of logs for the roof as well as 5 sheets of plywood on top etc. and also the heavy steel doors, some steel I beams, the porthole to look and shoot out of and that is all I will tell about. Unless someone asks specific questions and then I will probably blab all.
Ask me about OpSec if any dare....

Also, hope that people will look at the 2nd page at least. For there are many more links to sites about bunkers, shelters etc. Such as this one >
And for those who like videos here are some good ones of bunkers etc. >

http://www.safecastle.com/

Safecastle is a sponsor of this survivalistboards.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,495 Times in 2,824 Posts
Thumbs up Re: The Everything about a Bunker thread - Pic heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
I have a friend in Germany who lives on a ex-military base, complete with real bunkers and a watch tower. I could get pics up in a few weeks if you guys were interested?
I'll speak for the whole board on this one,Hell Yeah...We love pics..Invite him to become a member here...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
I'll speak for the whole board on this one,Hell Yeah...We love pics..Invite him to become a member here...
Nah, he's not interested in any of this stuff. I'm going over to his house around mid may, I'll take pics then.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Twist For This Useful Post: