Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homemade water filter using materials from Walmart and other giant retailers wwor2002 Food and water 207 04-24-2015 10:40 AM
MIT group shows xylem tissue in sapwood can filter bacteria from contaminated water R too2late Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 22 03-07-2014 05:18 PM
Water filter giveaway from sawyer mini filter Rwurbanwildlife Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 02-25-2014 08:53 AM
Whats a good cheap water filter Adlax Reviews and questions 22 11-23-2013 01:24 PM
diy activated carbon water filter (cheap) Brent777 DIY - Do It Yourself 7 06-26-2013 10:05 AM
2 pails and brita water filter to filter lots of water for cleaning purposes wwor2002 DIY - Do It Yourself 19 08-07-2012 03:22 PM
Help: Close to water, what's a cheap, compact filter method GPArcher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 06-16-2012 07:26 AM
uv water filter or hand pump filter bronco19 New Member Introduction 8 07-19-2011 08:13 AM
Simple cheap easy to find water filter sjh1022 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 10-17-2009 12:25 PM
Cheap water filter Bizarro Reviews and questions 2 01-03-2009 08:41 PM

Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Hiker

Default Diy-group water filter from common materials, cheap

Advertise Here

I know that most of the people here know what a big berkley water filter is and they are expensive and can be fragile. I was on the net the other day and saw a sand filter that is used in 3rd world counties and are made out of concrete and are very heavy, good for a b.o.l. But hard to make mobile. So i had an idea, i have 2 of those 5 gal water containers that they use on construction sites and decided to make one into a sand type water filter.

First i would start with the bottom and buy a couple of packs of marbles and line the bottom above the level of the valve,(make sure to wash and disenfect the marbles first), cover the marbles with a100% white cotton cloth or terry towel.

Second get a big bag of aquarium gravel, wash and clean first, then pour over the marble layer at least an inch deep, then add another towel

third purchase a couple of containers of aquarium carbon or charcoal and make it around 2 inches deep, this will remove most toxins and taste problems and odors, cover with another towel.

Forth, a clean washed layer of course sand,( something like what is called plaster sand), make it several inches,thick as you think you might need.

Fifth, cover this with a thick layer of what is called sugar sand or a very fine sand and make sure it is clean, you can add another towel if you want on top.

I would not go over the 4 gallon mark that tells you the water level inside of the container.

Just unscrew or pop off the lid, add water and let it seep thru until the bottom has enough to use.

The beauty of this is a portable unit for a group but it will wiegh alot so have a way of transporting it and it should provide many gallons of drinking and cooking water.

P.s.- i recieved the water jugs off a site called freecycle and they cost me nothing and i figured that all the materials should not exceed 30.00$.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water filter jug.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	29293  

Last edited by sayter liften; 04-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sayter liften For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Diy-group water filter from common materials, cheap

Just curious, but wouldn't you want the coarser material first, that way you are catching all the big stuff before it hits the finer filter media, which would clog quickly if the water was murky. I like this idea, thought of doing something similar myself in the past.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Hiker

i'm basing the design off a 3rd world style water filter system and they start with the finner material on top to trap as much junk as possible and to produce a decent water flow. you dont want to clog the outlet.added

Last edited by sayter liften; 04-22-2010 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: added more.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,200 Times in 957 Posts

I don't know if it's better than a Berkey or another type of filter but it is certainly better than nothing. Any idea how many gallons it will fliter before needing to be changed out?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
I don't know if it's better than a Berkey or another type of filter but it is certainly better than nothing. Any idea how many gallons it will fliter before needing to be changed out?
i'm not saying that it will be better than a berkly but a cheap alternative, but your right better than nothing as for how many gallons i'm not sure as of this writting but a cautious guess would be a couple of hundered at least, probally higher, depending on how bad the water you are trying to filter is.
The Following User Says Thank You to sayter liften For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,414 Times in 617 Posts

Bio sand water filters are being used all over the world in poor countries. Nothing new.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Fisherman

what keeps the wet towels inside from growing mold ???
Old 04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,200 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
what keeps the wet towels inside from growing mold ???
Then don't use a cotton towel. Instead try using cheese cloth or some of the landscape mesh/screen.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Hiker

[QUOTE=Trotline;1523489]what keeps the wet towels inside from growing mold ???[/QUOTE

GOOD POINT, I DID'NT THINK OF THAT, IF YOU CAN FIND IT I WOULD RECOMEND A BRASS WIRE MESS SCREEN.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
then don't use a cotton towel. Instead try using cheese cloth or some of the landscape mesh/screen.
cheese cloth would be a good alternative.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:42 PM

You could also use another aquarium product called Purigen. It is like a synthetic activated carbon but WAY more effective and can be recharged unlike carbon. All you need to do to recharge it is soak in bleach for 12 hrs, rinse and soak in dechlorinator for a couple of hrs. This can be done 8-10 time. It might be too expensive for a really large filter though.

I would still recommend some type of prefilter to trap larger particles. Something that can be easily removed to clean or replace.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mortis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 12:50 AM

I've been thinking of trying to make one of these to. I was wondering if there is a way to somehow incorporate copper into it though as copper actually has antimicrobial properties. Or is that the purpose of the charcoal/carbon?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Just Country Folk

Can you create a copper layer by rolling some copper tubing or wire into a big spiral? I would think a taller sand filter would be good and a screen to filter out the big stuff prior to pouring on the sand and to slow the input more like a the drip feed. That way you don't stir up the top layers of sand so much.
I like the idea of the DIY sand filter you made please keep us informed on how it is working. I have a creek out back and in a pinch I may need to filter some drinking water.

K.D.

Last edited by FarmGirl; 04-29-2010 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmGirl View Post
Can you create a copper layer by rolling some copper tubing or wire into a big spiral? I would think a taller sand filter would be good and a screen to filter out the big stuff prior to pouring on the sand and to slow the input more like a the drip feed. That way you don't stir up the top layers of sand so much.
I like the idea of the DIY sand filter you made please keep us informed on how it is working. I have a creek out back and in a pinch I may need to filter some drinking water.

K.D.
will do just as soon as i can build it, work came down on me like a bag of hammers.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,188 Posts

I have thought off and on about building this kind of filter but ran into a stumbling block. The packaging in the aquarium charcoal ( from wally world) specifically stated not to be used in anything related to human consumption.
Well, I ignored it, and after thoroughly rinsing ran some tap water through it and tasted it. It was not good.
It's all most impossible to find food grade activated charcoal in granular form, it's all powder.
I did a find a source but the minimum was like $100.00 and as that is just not in my budget I dropped it.
I did give the bacteria issue some thought and decided if and when I built it I would use colloidal silver.
My thinking was to make several gallons and run it through the filter periodically. I think enough silver would stay in the filter medium to keep the growing thing to a minimum.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulator74 View Post
Just curious, but wouldn't you want the coarser material first, that way you are catching all the big stuff before it hits the finer filter media, which would clog quickly if the water was murky. I like this idea, thought of doing something similar myself in the past.
I read some where years and years ago that after water filters thur sand there is a type of polarizing effect on the micro praticlals in the water.

the particales are attracted to the larger rocks, etc thereby attaching themselves to the surface of the rock, marbles, etc. and giving a cleaner water at the outlet.

This may be why the large stuff is on the bottom.

I am not sahying I know, I am only trying to remember what I read years ago.

later
wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Christian

Thanked 50,606 Times in 21,631 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Ok silly question here. why cant you buy one of those round Britta filters, drill a hole in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket, insert the filter, place this bucket over top of another 5 gal bucket and filter water that way.

You can bungee a cheese cloth over the top and set it out in the rain. Clean or replace the cheese cloth after every 5 gal of water.

The filter says it filters 30 gallons.

The replacement filters are small, inexpensive and tested.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Ok silly question here. why cant you buy one of those round Britta filters, drill a hole in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket, insert the filter, place this bucket over top of another 5 gal bucket and filter water that way.

You can bungee a cheese cloth over the top and set it out in the rain. Clean or replace the cheese cloth after every 5 gal of water.

The filter says it filters 30 gallons.

The replacement filters are small, inexpensive and tested.
thats an interesting idea, gonna think about that.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Christian

Thanked 50,606 Times in 21,631 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayter liften View Post
thats an interesting idea, gonna think about that.
actualy I got to thinking about it this morning while making coffee. I think I will build one and try it out. I'll let you know how it worked for me.

S.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Hunter

If you are going to use the Britta filters,why not use the picture too? You could catch you rain water in a rain barrel, boil the water and run it through your Britta filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Malaz For This Useful Post: