Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should one carry medical gear they cannot use? Jerry D Young Polls and Surveys 30 07-31-2018 05:49 PM
Off into the wild - day carry backwoods always carry gear Jake Johnson Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 10-09-2013 11:10 PM
Everyday Carry Gear? Prepared1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 49 07-20-2013 10:16 AM
Repairing a gear storage/carry bag? zuren DIY - Do It Yourself 4 02-06-2013 10:08 PM
Using you pet to carry gear name-old Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 06-05-2011 04:53 PM
Every Day Carry Bug Out Gear to Blend In... OmegaTriSept Urban Survival 57 06-03-2011 05:22 PM
Is there a way to carry more gear, on foot? Sam1953 Reviews and questions 24 05-03-2011 06:41 PM
Pics of some gear I carry bushpuukko Urban Survival 33 07-01-2008 12:05 AM
Back Pack for carry gear and tent GreNdel Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 04-06-2008 12:27 AM

Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,021 Posts

Advertise Here

Ok, back to more gear.

Fence pliers- get a set with the rubber insulation on the handles. Makes cutting concertina and heavy barbed wire much easier. Also tends to "stick" to the palm of leather gloves as opposed to slipping and turning in your hands. Fence pliers have the best wire cutters short of bolt cutters made in a package that small. Pack them carefully, they have lots of sharp spots and none of them are comfortable to land on when you fall on them. No really good way, just jam them into a pack pocket and hope they stay where you put them. I have found some success wrapping them with a sandbag, and keeping my pry bar with them in one package.

Pry bar- I have a titainium pry bar, which is looked on with obvious envy and I think it will eventually be stolen if I dont keep a close watch on it. It rides in my pack with the fence pliers. I also have a flat bar from EOD Robotics. Cost a blazing 16.95, I wrapped a 550 cord handle on it, it rides behind my right side ammo pouch in my webbing. I filed the edges so it will slip into smaller slots. A good buy and a solid piece of gear.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 05:25 AM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Spotting scope- I have 2. My leopold has the same mil dot reticle as my MKVI rifle scope. I also have a Lieca. It is a sweet peice of glass as well. Both are extremely expensive and are kind of a pain to carry because of the tripods. They are both of about the same quality of glass, the leopold has a lifetime warranty, and is about $2k less than the lieca. I like them both. But they rarely get out of the truck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Pocket Chain Saw- I have, somewhere a small green box marketed as a survival kit with a whistle, PCS, Blast match ( which broke 5 mins after my kids wanted to see how it worked) some tinder and something else which I lost and forgot what it was. Anyway, the PCS is a nice piece of gear as well. The nylon handles are really nice, and attach to a branch to make kind of a bow saw, it cuts both pulling and pushing so its faster than a chain saw chain most kits have which only cut in one direction. It also cuts fine with just the handles, but I wouldnt want to use it for very long. To be honest, unless I was building a bunker with overhead cover, I dont use it much in the bush. If I need to cut wood for a fire, I just drag the whole thing and drop it in, either on the ends, and push it into the coals as it burns, or across the coals and let it burn in half.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Anything else anyone wants to know about? Ive probably seen somebody with it, or Ive seen it and thought it was a good idea, used it, broke it and thrown it away. Or Ive still got it somewhere, it still rides with me and I use it.

And it doesnt count the stuff in my trucks which I dont carry but I still think it has a place in the vehicle kits.
The Following User Says Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,550 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
I've got an orange one myself. But wtf does it have to do with a flattened spoon?? It still has a scoop to it.
Hehe...i guess nothing really.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Ok, then lets talk a bit about some gear mods to keep you alive in case of bad things happening nearby.

First thing, I have seen some pretty horrible wound caused by metal pieces in gear becoming secondary projectiles. In english that means your gear parts when hit by a fast moving object will come loose and travel at roughly half the velocity of the original impact. An ALICE clip at 1200fps ( half the velocity of a 762x39) will spin through you like a buzzsaw.

Solution- cut all those little metal parts off, and replace with wire ties and 550 cord. It will save weight and be a lot more quiet. Im sure the same naysayers are saying this is bs. I was an EOD tech for 7 years, and LE for 18. Ive seen some wounds, and again mitigating the risk to a minimum is my goal with little loss of function. An LBE is actually more comfortable without the clips jabbing you. A clip off the ALICE suspender makes a nasty wound as it spins through a flak jacket if you get too close to a loud noise.

This is one of those things most dont bother with, they got the high speed gear and now they think they are ready. Its like carrying a FAK with no idea how to use it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM

The ultimate spoon?

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookwa...-spoon/product
Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

You know, I lost the wrench to my MSR many years ago. You might be right lol
Old 12-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Good while it lasted!

Any thanks for the info PLA. Pls keep it comming.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 PM
There's no "I" in Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distiller View Post
Na, more like this:

I got one... 10 bucks well spent
Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Here's the basic stuff I will have directly on my person, note that my fire-starting gear is not pictured as it is in my coat.

Just one of the reasons I like tactical body armor with MOLLE furniture, you can mount your pouches on it and it is more comfortable and certainly more modular than ALICE.

I might also wind up getting a small butt pack to stuff a few concentrated ration bars and a few other small items in, things that I'd want more attached to my person than the backpack I'll also be carrying.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Target Shooter

PLA very insightful post. I cant thank you enough. But I would love to have some visual aids to go with it. Where are the PICS? Really though, You have allowed me to see some hole in my own gear.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Ego Dominus Vos

Thank you PLA
Old 12-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koevoet View Post
I'm going to draw up an entire list, but here's some of the basics...

Blackhawk Three Day Assault Pack (with side packs attached)

Level IIIA Interceptor OTV with a level IV conjunction plate

PASGT Ballistic Helmet (with the three point chin-strap)

Water bladder carrier mounted on the back of the armor

Eight AR-15 magazines mounted on the armor (using Blackhawk Speed Clips to mount the pouches)

10 magazines for a 9mm pistol (15 rounds in each magazine)

Approximately 600 rounds of additional 5.56mm NATO ammunition, either loaded on stripper clips and sealed in mylar wrapping (with moisture absorbers tossed inside) or loaded into 30 round magazines, inside my pack.

Approximately 100 water purification tablets, with each one being good for a liter of water. Supposedly they're not supposed to leave the chemical taste that other/older styles leave. I still need to test it out and see if the claims are genuine.

Two Quik Clot packets, one old style, one new style.

Approximately 10 days of concentrated ration bars. Six stripped MRE entrees, Six stripped MRE side dishes (mostly white rice), several MRE heaters. Four mountain house pouches.

Camping hatchet

Swiss army knife

Combat knife

Locking pocket knife (approximately 3.5 inch blade)

Switchblade knife (if something is wrong and I only have one hand to work with, say the other is mangled or is no longer useful due to cold issues, I still want to be able to utilize a knife, also it is nice for concealment)

Magnesium fire striker

A pack of cigarette lighters

Several waterproof containers of waterproof matches, with strikers inside.

A pack of disposable razors

One high quality reusable razor

Five green glow sticks

Small tactical flashlight (blindingly bright)

Gas mask with filter and one spare filter.

Sleeping bag in a stuff sack, -20 degrees (my only problem here is I don't want the bag hanging below my back near my rear, I want it curved around the top of the pack like an upside-down U but I don't know if that can be done with my pack or if that is a matter of getting aftermarket accessories for holding the bag itself.

Tobacco Can type .30 caliber cleaning kit for my pistol and any in the party who lose their AK cleaning kit.

Otis type .223 caliber cleaning kit for my AR-15 and any others in the party who have .223 caliber weapons.

I haven't done an inventory in a while, since adding various other things... I'm going to do that this evening and I'll update this list with the specifics of everything I have...
Dude, that load out w/ pack would be 100 lbs easy and I don't know what your body armor weighs!

I like the Blackhawk 3 Day as well. I bought mine on GB for $45. I think the Vulture II is better, though.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
Dude, that load out w/ pack would be 100 lbs easy and I don't know what your body armor weighs!

I like the Blackhawk 3 Day as well. I bought mine on GB for $45. I think the Vulture II is better, though.

With everything I carry, it weighs in around 85-90 pounds, counting my body armor. It's one of the reasons why physical fitness is important and is a major priority in my daily life.

On a typical day, I will get between one and three hours of exercise.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Koevoet, you are packing a lot of ammo. But, if theres a need, its kind of hard to get it when you dont carry your own. Im glad my run rig is stripped considerably from yours, but I think our operating environment is a bit different as well.

To all, I appreciate the thanks, and I have been working a bunch so I havent had time to post, dont worry, Im not done yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA View Post
Koevoet, you are packing a lot of ammo. But, if theres a need, its kind of hard to get it when you dont carry your own. Im glad my run rig is stripped considerably from yours, but I think our operating environment is a bit different as well.

To all, I appreciate the thanks, and I have been working a bunch so I havent had time to post, dont worry, Im not done yet.

I live in a built-up area, getting out or surviving while staying behind and mounting localized patrols will entail being able to operate without running out of ammunition.

I wouldn't bring my entire kit for a several hour patrol or for stationary guard duty somewhere near my residence, but if it comes time to escape the county, then I am going to load up on everything that I possibly can load up on, gather all of my friends together, and simply give them (or loan to them on a long-term basis) whatever they feel up to carrying.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

More gear- MSR XGK- Yes an XGK, not 2 or 3 , and Im sure its all the way to 12 by now, I dont keep up because this little burner just keeps burning. This critter is the best stove Ive ever owned. It works cold, high altitude, at 20 and at 110. Any time, all the time. Its not very stealthy, it gives a light signature you wouldnt believe when you are warming it to get the atomiser hot, and its noisy too. But it will burn anything but water, MSR says not to use alchohol, and I can see why because alchohol burns with a colorless flame, so an oops will be painfull. But, Ive used alchohol in a pinch, and it requires more than normal care, but it burns just fine.

When you first get one, the impression is by looking at all the pieces its just not gonna cut it for hard field use. 21 years ago I thought the same thing, and mine is still running, no replacement parts, no problems, have to keep an eye on the rubber seals, but thats it. If you get your jets mixed up it can get dirty fast, other than that, no issues. I dont carry mine all the time, but when its cold it never leaves my pack. During winter is when it shines, its great for a fast coffee or tea when hypothermia starts to set in.

I lost the little wrench in the spares kit years ago, I may have to buy one of those spoons posted above, and have my spoon be my wrench. Not sure Im emotionally prepared to give up my spoon yet, so the jury is still out. I use my multi tool for adjustments, it works ok, and this stove predates all of the multi's except the Swiss army and Leatherman.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,059 Times in 4,245 Posts

Good comment on the stove and I too have the original MSR XGK and it's a beast! I have a spare parts kit, but haven't had to use it...your right about checking on the rubber seals seasonally as that's about the only thing to fail. I did have to change the leather cup on two of my stoves that were stored in the garage during a 15-month deployment. I couldn't revive them and now have spares for all my stoves that use them in the pump.

The only thing I don't like about MSR stoves is the pump. They are plastic and they are the most common item to break. The only stove I like better is my Optimus Nova stove...it has a metal pump assembly and if you do plan to do any cooking over the stove other than boiling water, it has an adjustable flame (I think the new MSR XGK stove now have adjustable flames). When everything outside is wet, it's nice to pull out that tank of a stove and crank it up for a hot drink or meal!

I didn’t use to care for stoves that used iso-butane fuel cans, but for a 72-hour kit or a short range get-home-bag, I really like them. They are extremely fast to put into operation…again, it would just be used to boil water for a dehydrated meal, drink/soup or purifying water, but they are fast! I could stop, whip it out, fill it up with water and have it in operation in under a minute after practicing. I’ve used my Jetboil in the field several times and quite pleased with the performance.

Although the stoves require fuel (and the multi-fuel stoves like the MSR XGK and Optimus Nova are quite versatile), they have the advantage of working in very wet areas or areas with little fuel; they don’t make a mess that must be clean up if you’re trying to keep a low profile, don’t make a smoke signal if natural fuel is a tad wet and are always a good back up if you need to move fast and just need a quick meal or hot drink.

Great post again PLA...keep'em coming!

ROCK6
Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Veteran 11BC2/EOD

Kelly Kettle- I have one of these-https://kellykettle.com/Kelly-Kettles/Medium-Kelly-Kettle®-1.75-pint.html

Not something you want on your back every day, but in the truck or boat gear its a great investment. Especially if you are a tea drinker. They are bulky, and kind of a pain when they are hot, but a definate yes if you have the room and the ability to carry them. Saw it in another post and it reminded me.

Axes- I have a Gerber large axe. The one with the synthetic handle. Ive always hated synthetic handle on tools. If it breaks, its broke with no field fix, unlike a wood handle. But I like this axe. It holds a fantastic edge, sharpens very easy and is lightweight. A great tool for constructing shelters, and is easy to carry. As a trap line axe, it would become a favorite. I wish I had one as a kid when I was trapping a lot.

Lock Picks- I have a small set in each of my web gear. All you need are 2-3 rake picks and a tension wrench. Nothing fancy, just a basic set to get you into things you probably shouldnt be in. And learn to use them. Make a few shims for padlocks out of a soda can ( youtube if you doubt me) and you are good to go. Always a good idea for getting through gates without damaging fences as well as vandalism charges and mad ranchers. These are very easy to conceal, and thats good because they are illegal in most of the areas they come in most handy. I realize most here dont take the time needed for this kind of skill, but it does come in handy. A Handcuff key might also find a home in this kit. I like playing with them, much to the costernation of my boss.

Going through my grab bag, I realize I have overlooked my most prized item. Never leave home without a small roll in my pocket. Big rolls go in the Maxpidition bags and the pack.

550 Cord- if you have to ask why, you probably need to read a little more and spend a lot more time in the bush, Almost as valuable as a knife.

Brunton Helios- awesome lighter. It rides in my pocket, with a lanyard and button compass attached. Take this advice about butane lighters. If you let it get cold it isnt going to work, at all. Hang it around your neck, against your skin when it gets cold, and keep it warm, no matter what. That goes for all butane lighters, stoves too. They dont work with cold fuel. My lanyard has a small carabiner, I hang it from my t shirt collar, inside against my skin . Yes, its a pain if it gets under the chest webbing, literally.

Rock, if you had a choice, which of your stoves would be your first choice, the XGK or Optima?

Last edited by PLA; 12-27-2009 at 09:55 PM..