Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fun with slingshots! THE_HUNTERIAM Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 43 03-12-2015 02:29 PM
Custom slingshots Lead belly Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 11 08-02-2014 01:14 PM
Feds asking about your guns... jail if you don't answer. SazTam General Discussion 151 05-28-2013 05:32 PM
If more guns aren't the answer.... Frugal1 Firearms General Discussion 22 12-23-2012 07:33 PM
BOB question... slingshots LionOfAtreides Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 8 10-12-2012 02:24 PM
Slingshots production619 Urban Survival 20 06-12-2011 11:20 PM
Slingshots Impossible! JoergS Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 8 04-12-2011 02:58 PM
Three crazy slingshots JoergS Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 4 01-07-2011 03:59 AM
Slingshots of the world. comas General Discussion 0 12-30-2010 10:28 PM
Slingshots anyone? temu Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 02-10-2009 07:41 PM

Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,771 Times in 2,451 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jingoist View Post
I bought some sling shots for my Boy and I. You would go hungry, plain and simple. We have been shooting them for a while now and while they are neat, they are just that. I wouldn't rely on them at all for anything other than fun.
Sling shots can feed you, I ate birds all the time when was a kid in the pacific islands, all with a sling shot. I could put a bent 2 inch nail right through a coke bottle opening and blow out the base at 20 yards.

I takes less than 5 minutes to make a powerful sling shot from common materials and set of pliers.

Get 3 mm galvanized fencing wire and twist it to the shape of the diagram above.
Then link 5 sets of 5 fresh rubber bands to together, then put them inside the the loops of the sling shot and close the wire loops with pliers.

This will fire bent 2 inch nails at a high pace, kills birds out to 70 yards if you can hit them.

If you want a patch, open the middle 5 rubber bands, or have someone hold them apart evenly and wind masking tape around three times until you have a patch. Rub the tape flat together.

With a patch you can fire a one ounce bean sinker, or a half ounce ball sinker, nothing kills cats dogs, rats birds, possums rabbits like lead fishing sinkers.

I killed a huge wood pidgin at 80+ yards with a 1 ounce bean sinker. I watched it all the way into impact, which was huge.

I've shot cooked and eaten thousands of birds with this hunting set up. Killed thousands of pest animals up to the size of a dog.

Don't use marbles use lead, or two inch carpentry nails, these blow straight through even the biggest birds.

Hint: Don't use a power grip when holding this sling shot it will bend.

The right prong of the slingshot should press on the pad of your thumb, and the left prong of the sling shot should rest in the middle crook of your pointer finger. Your three other fingers wrap around the handle.

Basically the lead ball or 2 inch nail should pass over the webbing between your thumb and pointer finger. This gives massive precision and accuracy.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 07:15 AM
ladypatriotus.blogspot.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou2 View Post
Just read in the Backwoodsman Oct. 2012 about using a slingshot as a potential hunting weapon (it's in the "The Art of Staying Lost Seal Style) article.

Would like to learn more about how to use a slingshot.

I've conducted some searches and don't see any particular thread on this.

Guns seem cumbersome right now: licensing, training, practicing, cleaning, maintaining, ensuring safety and not getting it stolen or mis-used, keeping the right ammo stocked at all times, and so on.

We've got .22 hunting rifles, so it's not that we're completely anti-gun.

But I'd love to have the skill to use a slingshot and by-pass a lot of the hassles around gun ownership.

Please direct me to good information/training and warn me of the limitations or problems of depending on a slingshot instead of a gun. Besides getting laughed at by all ya'll.
Guns, no doubt, definately have their place and I would not stop prepping in the the regards to guns. I would use the slingshot as a backup plan - another survival tool, but definately not in leu of guns.

Additionally, have you looked into learning how to use a bow and arrows, or better yet, a crossbow?? Once again, just another tool and skill in your armory.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady_Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default ///////

There is no knowledge that is not power.You want to purchase a sling shot become proficient with it go for it.It is a light weight tool with good potential .And you could improvise many things as ammo.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog01 View Post
The nice thing about a sling shot is that is quiet too. No need to do a lot of research. Get a wrist rocket, a bag of marbles and start shooting.
As a youth I used to pride myself on my marksmanship with my Duct taped wrist rocket!!! Oh how I loved that gadget! A wrist rocket can be lethal with small game but just as they say, " dont bring a knife to a gunfight." it would be just the same with a slingshot I do have one in my B.O.B. Im still preparing and to this day enjoy using it from time to time.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:22 AM

Very old topic I know, and here I am new to this community.... anyway, what I cannot find is actual science on this concept. I can easily do the calculations to determine that a .73 lead ball, delivered from my slingshot at 150fps, would deliver 30 joules to the skull of an intruder. And I know that perpendicular cuts in the lead ball would have it deform a bit upon impact, thereby ensuring all that energy actually gets transmitted to target rather than bouncing off. I just don’t know whether that would be enough force to at least stun the intruder sufficiently to allow me to take further action.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,818 Times in 2,060 Posts

I remember Elmer Keith's story on shooting someone with a sling shot. It did not stop him. for quiet I like a pellet rifle. Much easier to shoot and some are rather powerfull. I have two pcp. 177 and 22. A friend has one in 30 cal. I have wrist rocket but it has not been out of the cabinet in 10 years
Old 11-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,058 Times in 4,245 Posts

https://www.chiefaj.com/

While I would likely choose even a flintlock as a serious tool over a sling shot, I have a couple of Chief AJ's "sling bows". The still shoot lead balls or steel bearings with devastating effect; better yet, they and shoot an arrow capable of killing big game (like bear, hog, deer, elk, etc.). I have one set up for arrows with a heavier pull tubing and it's pretty darn good inside 25 meters (about my limit for accuracy). I broke a buzzards wing at 125 meters across our lake (several swarming a deer carcass). It took me too many shots, but was fully capable. I also practice on turtles around the lake.

I do like the quieter operation, but I've had one tubing (actually it was the leather pouch/arrow notch that broke) fail, so, having spares (stored properly) on hand and knowing how to change it in the field is pretty important. As a close range ambush weapon, it's fine for targets that wouldn't shoot back, but I wouldn't want to trade fire with ball bearings against bullets at any distance. Sure, it's better than a throwing rocks or only having a melee weapon, but it's value is not really as a weapon. It just requires a lot of practice and dedication to increase your hit ratio.

ROCK6
Old 11-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Goat daddy, where did the shooter hit the person? I would not try a slingshot for anything other than a head shot. A head shot, though, is exactly my home defense scenario. If someone breaks n and takes the downstairs tv let ‘em have it; it’s not worth an encounter. But if they come up the stairs? Their head is leading the way, and my shot would be within ten feet. I can routinely hit a coconut at 15 yards, so ten feet or less is easy.

All I need to know is if 30 joules to a human skull, focused on the tiny impact area of a .73 lead ball, would be likely to stun someone long enough to allow me to take other action. While I have nothing in particular against firearms, I do not want loaded guns in the house. The data are clear that a loaded gun in the home is more likely to harm someone who belongs in the home than to harm an intruder; I’d rather have something with less potential for such accidents.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:18 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,556 Times in 5,387 Posts

[QUOTE=coyote-1;19881054]While I have nothing in particular against firearms, I do not want loaded guns in the house. The data are clear that a loaded gun in the home is more likely to harm someone who belongs in the home than to harm an intruder; I€™d rather have something with less potential for such accidents.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you are just trolling but just in case:

Like anything, you are the main factor in if that data pertains to you. If you like to get drunk, high, mentally ill, suicidal, can't afford a good safe or quick access vault, unwilling to train......then yes. The gun will be more dangerous to you and yours than the very unlikely event of home intruder.

This slingshot idea is not going to go well for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 02:04 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 11,123 Times in 2,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfiscus View Post
Look into making a "sling-bow" if you're picking up a slingshot. This is a project I'll be working on next week when my parts arrive.
Yep, I have a wrist rocket upgraded to work as a sling bow also. I have taken raccoons, possum, rabbits. squirrels, and wood chucks. Low range is the only real issue I see for small game hunting, so get your stalk on.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,418 Posts

Or maybe this;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 7.50.35 PM.png
Views:	9
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	294376  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 11,123 Times in 2,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Or maybe this;
LOL, we built stuff like that when we were kids to shoot each other. Luckily, no one lost an eye
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 08:01 AM
Wind

Thanked 1,745 Times in 775 Posts

My grandfather was born in the mountains of Georgia in 1918. Firearms were owned but ammo was not easy to buy because there was so little income. He an his brothers hunted an fished for food on the table. A lions share of the small game killed was done with a "flip" or sling shot. I have his dogwood slingshot an it is unlike any i have seen before. My dad had four siblings for which he was the oldest male. He grew up small game hunting (no deer or turkey here until the 1960s) . Again many rabbit an squirrel were shot with the low cost sling shot instead of the shotgun or 22lr. The moral of the story is they had no other choice but to be good with a sling shot. Their ability to stalk an make a close shots put food in the cook pot. If you want to get good with a sling shot start at 5 yards not 20. Pick a projectile you can keep in stock easy an buy a bit of it to keep ya shootn. Shooting a slingshot is really all about consistency in your draw an projectile used.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:40 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,216 Times in 5,529 Posts

For anyone who thinks a slingshot cannot be made to use as a defensive weapon or a tool for hunting need to go find The Slingshot Channel on U tube

Here you knuckle draggers, I did it for you
https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave
The Following User Says Thank You to cleatis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,687 Times in 6,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote-1 View Post
Very old topic I know, and here I am new to this community.... anyway, what I cannot find is actual science on this concept. I can easily do the calculations to determine that a .73 lead ball, delivered from my slingshot at 150fps, would deliver 30 joules to the skull of an intruder. And I know that perpendicular cuts in the lead ball would have it deform a bit upon impact, thereby ensuring all that energy actually gets transmitted to target rather than bouncing off. I just don’t know whether that would be enough force to at least stun the intruder sufficiently to allow me to take further action.
https://www.longdom.org/open-access/...2697-2-108.pdf

I had an article concerning energy needed to euthanize domestic livestock but its sited but not published
Old 12-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,818 Times in 2,060 Posts

I was looking at a marble on my desk and thinking I should get a bag or two for my old slingshot. then a bit of thought hit, I had saved the malformed round ball from moulding ammo for my blackpowder rifles to use in the sling shot. Maybe time to get it out and check the rubber. I have a spare and kept the tubing from physical therapy
Old 12-11-2019, 08:35 PM

You can fish with a slingbow.